PDA

View Full Version : Complete Beginner - SoftSqueeze

MikeGreene
2008-09-18, 04:20
Hi.

I have recently bought a Duet System with a number of Receivers and Controllers. All seems OK so far, bar a few niggles which I am sure I will be able to resolve over time (with this Forum's help!).

I have SqueezeCentre installed on my main PC, which is also where I have my music stored, and am able to run SoftSqueeze on that PC. However I would like to be able to run SoftSqueeze on my wife's PC too, which is on the same home network. I have read some of the Forum entries but am afraid I just don't understand them and would like a "Dummy's Guide" to how to go about this - including what I neede to install on my wife's machine.

I have a couple of extra questions too, though they are definitely less important, so please don't worry if those cannot be answered now!

a) Will I be able to control my two SoftSqueeze applications from my Duet Controller (might come in handy for Synchronized music); and if so how do I do that?

b) Is there a "skin" for SoftSqueeze which looks like the Duet Controller?

Many thanks in advance and apologies for my near-total lack of understanding of all things technical!

simbo
2008-09-18, 05:00
a) Will I be able to control my two SoftSqueeze applications from my Duet Controller (might come in handy for Synchronized music); and if so how do I do that?
Yes you can. Make sure you give each instance of SoftSqueeze a meaningful name and have told each where your SqueezeCenter is (both under SoftSqeeze preferences). Then from the Controller you can select Choose Player and should see them listed under there.

A warning about synchronisation though - it might not work as well on SoftSqueeze as it does on the hardware players - this is due to the internal workings of the PC (sound drivers and other factors) - you may find that not all players are perfectly in sync. Try it and find out, you might be lucky.

b) Is there a "skin" for SoftSqueeze which looks like the Duet Controller?
I don't believe so. SoftSqueeze isn't being developed any more as SqueezePlay is coming along shortly to replace it.

Howard Passman
2008-09-19, 03:29
A warning about synchronisation though - it might not work as well on SoftSqueeze as it does on the hardware players - this is due to the internal workings of the PC (sound drivers and other factors) - you may find that not all players are perfectly in sync. Try it and find out, you might be lucky.

There are some plugins that SS can't play. Also, I know you can't play Rhapsody on SS. If you try to sync Rhapsody to SS, it should give you a warning. If you try to sync it to Sirrus or XM, it may just lock up on you and drive you nuts.

Howard

maggior
2008-09-19, 08:48
If you are trying to turn the server into another player, you might consider squeezeslave. It is much lighter weith since it doesn't have a GUI. You can control it via the web interface or through the controller.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeSlave

I use it on my server and it works great.

soxfan
2008-09-19, 15:53
I have SqueezeCentre installed on my main PC, which is also where I have my music stored, and am able to run SoftSqueeze on that PC. However I would like to be able to run SoftSqueeze on my wife's PC too, which is on the same home network. I have read some of the Forum entries but am afraid I just don't understand them and would like a "Dummy's Guide" to how to go about this - including what I neede to install on my wife's machine.
Well, I'll give a go at answering this part of your question.

1) Start by getting the IP address of your main PC, where Squeezecenter is installed. You don't say what OS your are running, but I'm going to guess it is a flavor of Windows. If so, you can get the IP address various ways, including by running 'ipconfig' from a command prompt, through Properties of your network connection, and, if you've got the network connection showing in your task bar, by checking the Status.

2) Once you have the IP address of your main PC, go to your wife's PC and fire up your browser of choice (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.). Then type in address bar http://<IP address of your main PC>:9000, so for example, if your IP address is something like 192.168.0.10 you would enter http://192.168.0.10:9000. This should bring up the Squeezecenter home page.

3) Assuming you are using the default Squeezecenter skin, in the left panel click on the arrow next to Extras to open it up, and from there you should see a Softsqueeze selection. Click on it.

4) The left panel will now be showing the Softsqueeze home page or setup screen (not really sure what to call it). If you already have Java installed you will see a big red check mark, with some verbiage saying "It appears Java is already installed (good)..." Unfortunately I don't have a PC handy where Java isn't installed, so I'm not sure what it shows, but I think it gives you an option to install it.

5) If Java was already installed, or if you installed Java, you should now be able to click on the "Click on to install and run Softsqueeze" link. This should launch Softsqueeze. You may have to adjust some settings, but other than that you should be good to go.

Please post back if you have further questions.