PDA

View Full Version : SquuezeBox Classic Remote Control

Emmings
2008-09-17, 23:10
Morning

I have had my SqueezeBox classic (version 3) for a couple of years now and am impressed with it's capabilities - rarely use the CD player these days.

Unfortunately last might the remote control met with an accident and now no longer works - completely kaput!

I had a quick look around last night and found that I can get a new Backlit Infrared Remote for Squeezebox from the US Slimdevices web site but they don't deliver to the UK. And I havn't been able to find a UK site which sells the controller only.

So - does anyone either know where I can get a new remote control from OR does anyone have a 'spare'/no longer used one they are willing to sell.

Or is there a 'generic' controller which I could use instead - something like a universal remote perhaps?

I can control from the web interface of course - but I am in the process of switching to a new machine and without the controller I cannot configure the network setup on the SqueezeBox!

Thanks

bpa
2008-09-18, 00:37
Ripcaster seems to sell them but you need to look at "all products"

https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/203

Emmings
2008-09-18, 01:25
Excellent - thanks for the link and prompt reply.

Cheers

Gibbo
2008-09-18, 01:26
Personally i'd be tempted to get one of the logitech harmony remotes as a replacement, a little more pricey but it'll control everything!

Nonreality
2008-09-18, 01:31
Personally i'd be tempted to get one of the logitech harmony remotes as a replacement, a little more pricey but it'll control everything!Yes any of the Harmony remotes will work. I still like the little SB3 remote better though. It does what it does rather well. My Harmony does it too but it's a bit over kill.

Gibbo
2008-09-18, 01:42
Oh most definately over kill for one remote, I don't personally have a harmony.
but my gf is getting rather frustrated with the 6 remotes I have in the lounge and more around other rooms, and so personally if my SB remote broke I would use the excuse to put that 25 towards a harmony and replace them all.

Secret Squirrel
2008-09-18, 05:08
Morning

I have had my SqueezeBox classic (version 3) for a couple of years now and am impressed with it's capabilities - rarely use the CD player these days.

Unfortunately last might the remote control met with an accident and now no longer works - completely kaput!

I had a quick look around last night and found that I can get a new Backlit Infrared Remote for Squeezebox from the US Slimdevices web site but they don't deliver to the UK. And I havn't been able to find a UK site which sells the controller only.

So - does anyone either know where I can get a new remote control from OR does anyone have a 'spare'/no longer used one they are willing to sell.

Or is there a 'generic' controller which I could use instead - something like a universal remote perhaps?

I can control from the web interface of course - but I am in the process of switching to a new machine and without the controller I cannot configure the network setup on the SqueezeBox!

Thanks

If you're a handy sort of bloke, you might look into repairing your remote yourself. Search the forums! There are several threads regarding this and it seems as though the IR sender is liable to crack it's solder joints when dropped. There's everything from how to open the remote to pictures of the internals and where the repair is needed. (Sorry, I'm too lazy to do the search for you...oh, and I'm at work)

HTH,

SS

SuperQ
2008-09-18, 08:28
Oh most definately over kill for one remote, I don't personally have a harmony.
but my gf is getting rather frustrated with the 6 remotes I have in the lounge and more around other rooms, and so personally if my SB remote broke I would use the excuse to put that 25 towards a harmony and replace them all.

The harmony is totally worth it. Like being able to do macro things like turn SB on, stereo on, switch input. Then later 2 button presses turn SB off, turn TV on, turn DVD player on, switch inputs. GF approved.

James_B
2008-09-18, 08:31
This is the alternative..

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx5nhbWoF5U

blessingx
2008-09-18, 13:32
Or get an iPhone/iPod touch and run iPeng. ;)

Wirrunna
2008-09-18, 14:05
The harmony is totally worth it. Like being able to do macro things like turn SB on, stereo on, switch input. Then later 2 button presses turn SB off, turn TV on, turn DVD player on, switch inputs. GF approved.

Totally agree !

I cannot understand why Logitech hasn't replaced the Squeezebox classic remote with a Harmony.
All the advantages of a universal programmable learning remote along with buttons that could allow SC to be programmed to do fast forward and rewind properly.

roll - gybe
2008-09-19, 10:39
I have the harmony 880 upstairs and an MX downstairs. The harmony is colorful and my wife pretty much knows how to use it. However, the MX is much more straightforward.

The harmony is convoluted and complicated. They try to force you to use "activities" which work great when you start from scratch, but if you want to go from watching a DVD to listening to SB or something like going from listening to SB to watching cable TV, you are pretty screwed.

MX has a "punchthrough" functionality which means you can use your volume buttons to control the amp when you have SB active. Very intuitive.

The harmony only lets you do this when you are in "activity" mode. To get into activity mode, an on/off macro goes off, so if everything isn't off, then you are all messed up.

So... on the harmony, i reprogrammed certain functions with "ir learn" to control things in normal "device mode" the way i want them controlled. If I had known i would need to jump through these hoops, I would have purchased a second MX.

Now my wife is pretty good with what I have programmed into the harmony. however, she picks up the SB stock controller to adjust the music. I think this is interesting b/c she hates all the remotes and favors the universal. Also b/c she will only use what is easiest.

Another note - on the harmony, why are things like "power toggle" for the SB on page 3 of the LCD? This is absurd for logitech to be so moronic. I probably need to get back in there and do some more reprogramming, but it is kind of like cleaning your closet...

radish
2008-09-19, 12:05
The harmony is convoluted and complicated. They try to force you to use "activities" which work great when you start from scratch, but if you want to go from watching a DVD to listening to SB or something like going from listening to SB to watching cable TV, you are pretty screwed.

Why? I do this all the time. The Harmony looks at the state you're in, the state you're going to, and works out the steps needed. One button press to switch between radically different configurations, couldn't be easier. My wife loves it.

The harmony only lets you do this when you are in "activity" mode.

You should only ever be in "Activity mode" (there really is no other mode). When you go through the activity setup menu you tell it what device controls volume and it sets it up.

So... on the harmony, i reprogrammed certain functions with "ir learn" to control things in normal "device mode" the way i want them controlled.

You're doing it wrong. Forget the device button even exists, do everything via activities and your life will be _much_ easier.

Another note - on the harmony, why are things like "power toggle" for the SB on page 3 of the LCD?

Because you should never be using it so it doesn't matter where it is. You have an activity "Squeezebox" which turns on the SB3, and the amp, switches the inputs correctly and turns everything else off. If you then switch to the TV activity it turns off the SB, turns on the TV, and flips the amp input. Why do you need the power toggle button? You do need to be strict in not using any other remote alongisde the harmony - the whole thing falls down if it can't reliably know what state your devices are in. I put all my other remotes in a box a long time ago!

If you can't get your head around activities (or if you want to use any other remote alongside it) then the Harmony is entirely the wrong remote for you. To me, any other remote (Pronto included) just seems too crude precisely because they don't have activities and the dynamic state transitions.

Pale Blue Ego
2008-09-19, 14:38
Don't any SB users have extra SB remotes they can send to Emmings? All you people who have replaced your original remotes with the backlit candy bar or the Duet Controller or a Harmony? Fess up!

chrisla
2008-09-19, 14:49
I've also never had any luck with activities... I think the concept
would work if the real remote had single buttons for things, but when
it has say an "HDMI" button, that you use to cycle thru the 4 HDMI
ports on my TV it is constantly getting it wrong, or turning off the
TV or some nonsense. My original remote has no HDMI 1 button, so there
is no way activities would ever know what input the TV is on.

I got around the needing to be in the right context (say TV or Cable
box) to use the right volume etc, but using the IR learn function. I
taught it the the volume IR code for my cable box by using the TV's
original remote. That way no mater what context I am in the volume
controls the TV. I know their is supposed to be some other way, but I
gave up and did it the hard way after hours of futzing.

You can change what page things are on in the LCD, you can push them
up and down as needed so the important things are on the first page.

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 12:05 PM, radish
<radish.3g00yn1221851401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> roll - gybe;342099 Wrote:
>> The harmony is convoluted and complicated. They try to force you to use
>> "activities" which work great when you start from scratch, but if you
>> want to go from watching a DVD to listening to SB or something like
>> going from listening to SB to watching cable TV, you are pretty
>> screwed.
>>
> Why? I do this all the time. The Harmony looks at the state you're in,
> the state you're going to, and works out the steps needed. One button
> press to switch between radically different configurations, couldn't be
> easier. My wife loves it.
>
>>
>> The harmony only lets you do this when you are in "activity" mode.
>>
> You should only ever be in "Activity mode" (there really is no other
> mode). When you go through the activity setup menu you tell it what
> device controls volume and it sets it up.
>
>>
>> So... on the harmony, i reprogrammed certain functions with "ir learn"
>> to control things in normal "device mode" the way i want them
>> controlled.
>>
> You're doing it wrong. Forget the device button even exists, do
> everything via activities and your life will be _much_ easier.
>
>>
>> Another note - on the harmony, why are things like "power toggle" for
>> the SB on page 3 of the LCD?
>>
> Because you should never be using it so it doesn't matter where it is.
> You have an activity "Squeezebox" which turns on the SB3, and the amp,
> switches the inputs correctly and turns everything else off. If you
> then switch to the TV activity it turns off the SB, turns on the TV,
> and flips the amp input. Why do you need the power toggle button? You
> do need to be strict in not using any other remote alongisde the
> harmony - the whole thing falls down if it can't reliably know what
> state your devices are in. I put all my other remotes in a box a long
> time ago!
>
> If you can't get your head around activities (or if you want to use any
> other remote alongside it) then the Harmony is entirely the wrong remote
> for you. To me, any other remote (Pronto included) just seems too crude
> precisely because they don't have activities and the dynamic state
> transitions.
>
>
> --
> radish
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> radish's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=77
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=52757
>
>

st2000
2008-09-19, 15:20
I'm not sure how well my threading is working w.r.t. this thread. As I
can't see this one from the beginning. Regardless, if the original
poster is into hacking, there is the JP1 project alternative. You can
buy certain types of remotes (google "jp1 remotes") for as little at
$10US (radshack has a sale right now (don't bother asking the associate
questions about JP1)), build or buy the appropriate JP1 programmer /
cable and program the codes for (probably) all your stuff. Including any
*known* code that your current remotes do not produce (like "all off"
or "switch to input #1").

I think you can find SB1,2,3 codes here (according to the post):
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3200

Note, there's a lot of work and "thinking" involved with this approach.
There's a reason a hormony cost 10x as much as one of these things.

Pale Blue Ego wrote:
> Don't any SB users have extra SB remotes they can send to Emmings? All
> you people who have replaced your original remotes with the backlit
> candy bar or the Duet Controller or a Harmony? Fess up!
>
>

radish
2008-09-20, 16:45
I've also never had any luck with activities... I think the concept
would work if the real remote had single buttons for things, but when
it has say an "HDMI" button, that you use to cycle thru the 4 HDMI
ports on my TV it is constantly getting it wrong, or turning off the
TV or some nonsense. My original remote has no HDMI 1 button, so there
is no way activities would ever know what input the TV is on.

No, that's the point. It _does_ know because it remembers. You tell it your TV has four inputs (or whatever) and that they cycle by pressing that one button. It knows which is which, and it knows what the TV was on last time, so it know how many times to press the button to get to where it needs to be. As long as it's the only device which controls the TV (and you don't use the device menus) it works great, like I said if you want to use multiple remotes at once it's impossible. Trust me, it works if you let it. Let go of the device menu, put all the other remotes in a drawer, and make sure the Harmony is setup correctly.

Otherwise put it on ebay. A Harmony without activities is a useless device, if you want a traditional universal remote there are much better (and cheaper) ones out there.

Emmings
2008-09-23, 11:04
Evening all

Sorry for not posting earlier - been away for the weekend.

Anyway have ordered a new Classic controller from ripcaster here in the Uk - no idea when it'll turn up though!

Thanks for all the advice - though if anyone has a spare one lying around i can always cancel the order....

Cheers