PDA

View Full Version : Controller doesn't reconnect to network after sleep - Please post your issues

Ross L
2008-09-16, 13:48
There are a number of network related issues that can occur with Duet and Controller, I could use some information in this particular case. For anyone noticing their Controller not properly reconnecting to their wireless network after sleep please share a few details if you have time to help me out. A typical case of this seems to be after setting Controller down (not in charger) for a period of time, then waking the controller and seeing a red wireless icon.

If you see this please reply to this thread with your wireless router / access point model number and version, and firmware version. As well please share your wireless encryption settings, and DHCP status. Also please let us know if this is a "standard wireless" setup or bridged (Receiver connected via Ethernet), and finally the firmware version of the controller available in Settings -> Advanced -> About. If you have questions about what connection type you're using, please see here:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeboxConnectionTypes

If you happen to reproduce this behavior (red wireless icon after sleep) please check the DHCP client table within your router (often called LAN status or similar) and compare the IP address assigned to your Controller with the IP the controller. You can find the IP of the Controller by browsing to Settings -> Advanced -> Remote Login, when you enable SSH you will see a message at the bottom of the screen showing the Controllers IP address.

Thank you everyone!

MrSinatra
2008-09-16, 19:12
am i right in thinking there are 3 colors? white, red, and blue?

what is the technical explanation behind each color? also, are there ever any other icons displayed? like less bars or something else?

remd
2008-09-17, 02:50
Usually you'll get a "please wait" message when you leave the duet controller laying, it then reconnects to the network.

This Duet controller has the buttons enlighted, but if I move it, or press the buttons it doesnt wake up.
You then have to remove the battery, and restart it.
It was doing this under fm2428 (7.01), and now fm2873(7.2).
pwr mgt settings:
Sleep timeout: 60
Suspend timeout 3600
Suspend enabled: checked
Suspend Wake: unchecked
Wireless power save: checked

Anyone had the same problem or a solution for this ?

Ross L
2008-09-17, 11:21
am i right in thinking there are 3 colors? white, red, and blue?

what is the technical explanation behind each color? also, are there ever any other icons displayed? like less bars or something else?

White is connected, red is no wireless connection, blue is connected to wireless but not to music source. You should see less bars (white) as you get further from your access point.

AV_Spyder
2008-09-18, 08:49
I get this problem quite often. My setup is bridged mode as I don't have a wireless network. I don't have the details with me now but will make a note of them when I next get the problem.

The battery on one of my controllers appears to be faulty and I'm waiting for a replacement (it is also that controller that has connectivity issues). Hopefully I can get the information you need before I get the replacement device.

The only issue I have at the moment is that after powering down both my receivers, they won't connect to slimserver anymore. I've managed to get the controllers to see the receivers but when I try to connect the receiver via ethernet to the network, it fails so until I get them working again, I won't have any debugging info for you.

-AV Spyder

Howard Passman
2008-09-19, 02:13
I get this problem quite often. My setup is bridged mode as I don't have a wireless network. I don't have the details with me now but will make a note of them when I next get the problem.

As much as I wanted to use bridged mode when I first got my DUET, I eventually gave up and went with the alternate. I think I have a lot less issues with the controller now. Actually, I can't remember the last controller issue I had.

Maybe try connecting your controller to your router just to see if the same is true for your setup.

Howard

Howard Passman
2008-09-19, 02:16
It occurred to me after replying to another poster on this thread that it might be interesting and a good control to see which users connect their controller bridged and which connect through a router. Then what percentage of each has issues with the controller.

As I mentioned in the other post, since moving from bridged to routed, I can't remember the last controller problem. Mine stays connected and never has a problem quickly waking.

Just a thought.

Howard

AV_Spyder
2008-09-19, 02:34
Maybe try connecting your controller to your router just to see if the same is true for your setup.

Howard

Thanks for the advise. I'm not sure how I can connect my controller to the router directly. The router is wires only (I'm still in the dark ages with no wireless capability). I thought the only way was using the receiver to bridge the wireless controller to the wired router.

I'm beginning to think that I may have to get a wireless router for stability reasons and also because the battery life of the controller is much better according to the wiki.

After powering off/resetting my receivers as requested by logitech support, I've got problems getting them to reconnect to my router - I've spotted another thread which looks like it covers this issue so I won't go into detail on this thread to keep it clean (unless slim devices ask for details).

-AV Spyder

Mushroom_3
2008-09-20, 10:12
I suffer the dreaded blue colour on the controller after it has been set down problem regularly. Every now and then it also occurs after the controller has been in the cradle for several days unused.

My details:
Wireless router - Netgear DG834G V3.01.31
Standard ethernet connection
Receiver has reserved IP address
SqueezeCenter Version: 7.2 - 22900
Controller 7.2r2873

I do hope this problem can be solved. It is driving me nuts and is the reason I have not bought more receivers - and why I bought a Roberts W201 instead of a Boom. If it is not solved within the year's warranty I will have no choice but to return it as faulty, and continue to do so till it is sorted.

egg
2008-09-20, 15:33
i have this problem every morning when take it to bed. Want to know a easy fix? JUST SELL THE CHARGERS... PLEASE

Post the info later.. Love the product.

pablolie
2008-09-20, 15:57
Ok, here it is now, the Controller went red and is now stuck in blue...

The Wireless Router is a Linksys WRT54GX4, firmware is the most up to date at 1.00.20

I is running in mixed mode (G, B ..) and security is WPA/WPA2 person with encryption TKIP+AES. Standard wireless setup.

Controller version is 7.2 r2873

The router has assigned address 192.168.1.101 to the controller, and the controller reports an IP adddress ?.?.?.? with the attached SSH command, which can't be good...

mannekung
2008-09-21, 11:39
Same problem here - bought 2 duets last week. Disconnecting all the time. Bought a new router first I had a Belkin n1 Vision and now a Linksys WRT54G2 but that did not solve the problem. WPA. Readynas NV+. Latest nightly build 7.3XXX.

I'm usually a patient guy but this is really getting on my nerves.

pablolie
2008-09-21, 12:04
Same problem here - bought 2 duets last week. Disconnecting all the time. Bought a new router first I had a Belkin n1 Vision and now a Linksys WRT54G2 but that did not solve the problem. WPA. Readynas NV+. Latest nightly build 7.3XXX.

I'm usually a patient guy but this is really getting on my nerves.

i am hopeful that we shall get a solution or at least a good workaround soon, the development team is excellent once they get a critical mass of people reporting a problem.

i think one of the issues in this particular case is that a core part of this online community are unconditional slimdevices cheerleaders, and tend to attack those reporting issues with some regularity, claiming it is all a setup issue even on occasions when it clearly isn't. unfortunately, when SS developers trust that backlash from their diehard fan community it represents a setback to product maturity.

but based on the urgency this thread displays, i now fully trust that the developers now know that something is a bit fishy in the controller's wireless feature implementation.

i continue to regard the controller as barely usable in my environment, which includes several SB3s and now a SBoom that wll soon be joined by another. But I will not buy more Duets for now, nor will I recommend them to friends that never fail to be impressed with my setup.

NaterGator
2008-09-22, 12:14
i am hopeful that we shall get a solution or at least a good workaround soon, the development team is excellent once they get a critical mass of people reporting a problem.

but based on the urgency this thread displays, i now fully trust that the developers now know that something is a bit fishy in the controller's wireless feature implementation.Two things:

1) I can think of a way to help track this problem down very quickly. Release the source code for the DHCP client on the SBR and SC. Trust me, I'd be more than happy to step through the code line by line and find any potential problems. There are probably plenty of others who can and will do it too. More eyes = quicker fix.

2) There are multiple issues, some not being addressed. Specifically, I do _not_ have a problem with my controller, I have a problem with my receiver losing it's connection after inactivity. The controller will reflect the receiver's status with a blue light in the bottom of the screen, but it is actually on the network and responds to pings, unlike the receiver. Then there are people getting red icons on the controller, which is what this thread seems to be about, and seems like _another_ major issue.

Either way, I'm happy the devs are willing to acknowledge that this many users aren't crazy and something is going on. I'd just like to see a bit more communication on the issue (ex: do the two devices share a common networking API?)

pablolie
2008-09-22, 12:36
... I'd just like to see a bit more communication on the issue (ex: do the two devices share a common networking API?)

that i have asked for before, and i echo the sentiment. however, it is not easy for the engineers, who as usual are being whipped to deliver new functionality - that is where corporate priorities always lie, whereas debugging and fixing code is lost productivity. i know, i was there many years ago, and things have become even more aggressice in commercial software land. so it is not the engineers, the communication calls for an executive decision to disclose. and perhaps it is simply that they don't yet know the cause, because up to now in these very forums many diehard users where screaming those of us who reported issues down, telling us we were being purposedly negative when stating we just could not use the Duet in our environment despite our familiarity with the SB product offering. i think that represented a delay.

there were theories floating around it being a compatibility issue with some wireless routers, however what frustrated me at the time is that despite putting that into circulation, logitech-sd never actually officially released a list of wireless routers that were proven to be compatible with the Duet. and having a wireless router that otherwise provides flawless services -including video streaming to the TV- in the household, i am hesitant to upgrade without having a guarantee of compatibility. i would go for a dual band and N compatible router, but hesitate to do so if my $400 duet will not perform any better, and there is a chance that it might if i pick the right router.

the reasons why we perceive logitech-sd to be a bit quiet on this issue given the number of threads that have popped up in these forums could be manifold. i find it interesting that there seems to be some more fact-findin going on after successfully releasing the Sboom, and i would understand that (in fact i am going to order another boom as soon as i finish typing this). the priorities may have been set that way given the slimdevices team's need to prove the success of their concept within a public comapny like Logitech. and i want them to succeed because i love the concept.

then again, the worst case scenario is that there was a fundamental flaw in a certain batch of Duets - and that it is daunting to officially release the information and thereby invite RMAs even from those whose devices are performing well in their environment, or are happy to live with the idiosynchrasies...

all speculation, because i know that (a) one thing i commend the support team is the fact they quickly grant RMAs to customers, and (b) i am optimistic this focus on the issue will solve it. i have seen the development team quickly change things before.

Ross L
2008-09-22, 17:37
Thanks for the specifics, they are helping guide my tests. So far I still haven't reproduced, please keep sharing details! :)

AV spyder: How are you powering down your Receivers, and how are you turning them back on? Red light? Please elaborate on the troubles your receiver is having connecting to your Ethernet network. If you don't mind, would you please share the make, model number, and firmware version of your router?

Pablolie: The wireless icon is blue and it ssh shows ?.?.?.?, do you happen to have an SD card? The theory about specific networks seeing this issue with more frequency than others has not been thrown out. Thats exactly why I'm asking for network specifics. In response to your router compatibility comments: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/RouterStatus

Mannekung: Could you be more specific about your issue? Have you contacted support?

We do indeed recognize the severity of this issue. The bug is critical!

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9425

pablolie
2008-09-22, 18:37
The wireless icon is blue and it ssh shows ?.?.?.?, do you happen to have an SD card? The theory about specific networks seeing this issue with more frequency than others has not been thrown out. Thats exactly why I'm asking for network specifics.

That is correct, the network icon on the controller is blue and the address (as displayed by that SSH command) is ?

And yes, I do have SD cards.

Ross L
2008-09-22, 18:41
That is correct, the network icon on the controller is blue and the address (as displayed by that SSH command) is ?

And yes, I do have SD cards.

Thats really strange blue means it is connected to the network just not a music source, in this case it should have some kind of IP. Would you be willing to email me a log? To get a log from Controller, put an SD card in it with a directory named log, then go to settings - advanced - logging, and enable slimserver, then try to reproduce this problem and note the time it occurs as best you can.

Thank you Pablolie, I really appreciate your contribution! :-)

micah
2008-09-22, 21:17
I've only had a Duet for less than a month but both times it went to sleep, I had a difficult time trying to get it to reconnect. I think it eventually reconnects on its own but I reboot it several times before i give up.

My router: SMC2804WBRP-G, Firmware v2.0

Controller: 7.2 r2873

I am using DHCP for assigning IP addresses and I have MAC address filtering but no WEP/WPA. The receiver is hard wired into the router and the controller is connected via wireless to the router. Apparently this is called "Standard Ethernet"

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do or information I could provide.

mannekung
2008-09-22, 22:44
My recievers are also wired to my WRT54G2 router. They behave strange when it comes to DHCP. Sometimes they get an address but only keeps it for a while and sometimes they done even get one. I pull the plug to the router, reset the reciever and reset the controller then it sometimes work. The recievers keep losing connection to the router after a while though.

Latest firmwares both for controllers and recievers.

micah
2008-09-23, 07:33
I may not be seeing the same thing as described in this thread. I let my controller go to sleep overnight and tried to start it this morning. I pressed the on button this morning while it took over 5 minutes to connect to the receiver, it did so without any other problems. I never saw a blue light on the controller - the screen was locked in the circle of dots for the entire 5 minutes. I'll post again if I have the problem you are describing.

sailnut
2008-09-23, 08:50
I set up a new wireless network using an old Microsoft Access Point (wireless B) and a Belkin USB adapter (wireless G).

I re-ran setup on my Duet controller and player and within 5 minutes everything was working perfectly.

That was 12 hours ago and its rock solid.

The original router was the Actiontech that Verizon furnished for FIOS TV/internet service.

This router was and continues to service my other wireless devices with no issue.

Howard Passman
2008-09-23, 09:26
i have this problem every morning when take it to bed. Want to know a easy fix? JUST SELL THE CHARGERS... PLEASE

Post the info later.. Love the product.

AMEN BROTHER!

Ross L
2008-09-23, 16:21
Has anyone experiencing either Controller or Receiver disconnecting/not reconnecting made changes to their DHCP lease time?

I'm curious if there is a connection to short DHCP lease times. Also, anyone using 7.3? Thanks again!

BlueWombat
2008-09-23, 21:15
I'm not sure if my problem is related. I had let the controller go to sleep overnight, not in the cradle, then the only menu choice was select which network to connect to (or something similar), with my server and Squeezenetwork listed. Yet, no matter what I did, the controller wouldn't connect to either. I restarted both Squeezecenter and the controller, to no avail. I finally gave up and in frustration did a "factory reset" and the controller connected almost immediately.

mannekung
2008-09-24, 00:21
I'm running 7.3 - also been trying the new fireware (using the SD-method). Problem persists.

My lease time is infinite.

epoch1970
2008-09-24, 04:45
Well you're asking for feedback, and a transaction with support convinced me my Duet hardware is okay. Here is my latest trip to the funny farm with my Duet.

I switched from bridged to hybrid mode on my duet to see if using infrastructure wifi would improve controller receiver interaction. I also wanted to see if I'd do something of a Nokia 770 thats sitting there doing nothing (nice SC skin, but nothing beats the ability of my tablet to freeze and reboot at random :)
The controller/receiver was wirelessly connected to a Linksys WRT54G acting as access point & DHCP server. The server was wired to the WRT54G. Worked ok. I used 192.168.1.0/24, my server has a fixed address of 192.168.1.50 on the regular LAN. This DHCP server was set for 1-day long leases. Its address was 192.168.1.100 or somesuch. This was an isolated, temporary test network.

After a couple of hours I decided to reconnect the Duet and SC server to my regular wired gigabit net: 192.168.1.0/24, router at 192.168.1.1. No problem with the (static net config) server, no problem on the net where there are at least 5 different dhcp clients at all time. I powered off the receiver and the controller, and on again. I pressed the fan button on the receiver to turn it red, and pair the controller again, bridge mode. At first it seemed to work well, the Controller discovered the receiver. (By the way, I believe you should fix the documentation, the menu path I use to do that is not the one described in my UG.)
When the question to use a wired or wireless network to contact SqueezeCenter came, I answered wired, waited a bit and received a failure message. The ethernet plug showed the orange link-up led, and a scarcely blinking rx/tx green-yellow led. There was no lease for the receiver in the dhcp server, and no log of DHCP transaction. Normally the receiver is served a fixed address based on its MAC.
There started a seemingly endless loop of rebooting, reset to factory condition on the receiver first, and then on both the controller and receiver. I tried various cables, and even hooked it directly to the router/dhcp server, disconnecting all the rest of my network, removed the fixed address lease setting in the DHCP server, to no avail.
Having discarded the influence of cable types and switches along the path, knowing the DHCP server was working perfectly well, I gave up and left the receiver unplugged for an hour.
Tried again, starting with a factory restore, nothing. I was ready to declare the ethernet card in the receiver dead.
Then something magic happened. I decided to sacrifice the uptime of my router and see if a reboot would help. It looks like it did, because my next factory restore/reconnect attempt finally yielded a DHCP request on the receiver side. The Duet connected and worked. Not sleeping the server overnight, this morning the Duet still works.

I am flabbergasted. The router was in excellent operating condition. Before being disconnected and connected to the test net, the receiver had been connected to this network for 2 weeks I think. I noticed 1 or 2 freezes of the receiver during that time, happened at night when the SC server is asleep, so I can't tell what happened exactly. Anyway, power cycling the receiver was enough for it to reconnect to the network at these times.

There is something fishy going on here, and IMO that's on the Duet end, not on the router side.

FYI, the router is a pcengines 3-port WRAP board running m0n0wall v1.2 (a BSD variant). It is stable in the extreme and I seldom modify its configuration.
Next to the router, on the LAN port, there is a gibabit Dell Powerconnect 2716 switch. The switch port to which the Duet is connected is set to: maximum capability, autoneg, no backpressure, no flow-control. MTU size is standard and there are no VLANs defined on the LAN. I did not powercycle the switch amidst my desperate attempts to revive the receiver. Cabling is CAT6. On the path to the receiver there is a small Netgear 5 port gig switch GS-605v2. I didn't powercycle it either so switches are probably out of the picture. (Mind also I tried direct connection to the router which only has fast ethernet ports, with a short CAT5e cable.)
On a second port (call it DMZ), the router serves a separate network (192.168.2.0/24) which is currently only used by wifi clients. During my various attempts I tried connecting to that network (although there is no SC server there) and promptly received a lease. Wifi is provided by a Netgear WG-602v3 AP hooked directly to a port of the router.
The last router port is connected direct to a DSL modem.
On both LAN and DMZ ports, the integrated dhcpd server serves default 9-hour leases, and leases to clients requesting a longer duration are capped to 24 hours. I don't know whether dhcpd works in split configuration, or has 2 separate instances running.
There are outgoing firewall rules on the LAN port, but I specifically left the SC server and the Duet, both controller and receiver, total outgoing access to the internet until things have settled (the very reason I gave the controller and receiver fixed leases in the DHCP server.) There is no filtering whatsoever within the 192.168.1.0/24 net itself. Inside the LAN, no machine has a firewall.
System, firewall and DHCP server logs showed nothing but normal operation (except for lack of DHCP request on the receiver end, that is) on the router before its reboot. There was no on-going leases for the Duet nodes before rebooting the router. Today I re-established the fixed IP leases. It took a powercycle on both receiver and controller to renew their IP address, but no router reboot this time.
The SC server is a debian Lenny/sid machine, running SC 7.2 (SqueezeCenter Version: 7.2 - 22900 @ Tue Aug 26 10:45:08 PDT 2008 - Debian - EN - utf8 - Server IP address: 192.168.1.50 - Perl Version: 5.10.0 i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi - MySQL Version: 5.0.51a-15 - Platform Architecture: i686-linux). No plugin except SrvrPowerControl. A Squeezebox Classic (firmware v 112) client is quite happy with it, WOL and all, day after day.
The Controller runs firmware 7.2r2873. The Receiver runs firmware version 47.

Can you make something out of this ?

BTW: WOL does **NOT** work with the Duet. Only with the Squeezebox Classic. I repeat: Duet, WOL, no worky.

Jeff Flowerday
2008-09-24, 09:43
Had it happen to me when I left the remote off the charger the other day. Had to reboot it.

Fortunately I don't leave the remote off the charger very often.

Is there a bug report I can subscribe to on this one?

pablolie
2008-09-24, 10:27
Thats really strange blue means it is connected to the network just not a music source, in this case it should have some kind of IP. Would you be willing to email me a log? To get a log from Controller, put an SD card in it with a directory named log, then go to settings - advanced - logging, and enable slimserver, then try to reproduce this problem and note the time it occurs as best you can.

Thank you Pablolie, I really appreciate your contribution! :-)

will do as soon as i return to California this weekend (on a business trip right now)...

thnaks for helping us out!

NaterGator
2008-09-24, 10:59
Has anyone experiencing either Controller or Receiver disconnecting/not reconnecting made changes to their DHCP lease time?

I'm curious if there is a connection to short DHCP lease times. Also, anyone using 7.3? Thanks again!

I have, and it did not make an appreciable difference.

I initially had a 24 hour lease time, which I dropped to 4 hours. Same symptoms. I think the ultimate correlating factor is the disconnection of a receiver from a squeezecenter (ie: stop the sc in linux after the sbr connects) and then do not interact with the receiver for a few hours (after the SC is shut down, leave the sbr completely alone, ex overnight). I believe this is typically how my problems crop up. I would expect it to connect to a different squeezecenter when I try to use it again, but every so often it just refuses to hop back on the network.

Ross L
2008-09-24, 13:51
BlueWombat, Do you remember what color the wireless icon was on your Controller? Could you please share the networking specifics I requested in the original post?

jbarnes1967
2008-09-24, 19:21
I had my Duet connected wirelessly to a WRT54GS running DD-WRT firmware and I swear I never had this problem. I switched to a WRT600N and now see it all the time. I've noticed the best solution for me is to reset my router (sucks!) and the Duet/Controller seem to reconnect without my help.

sailnut
2008-09-25, 07:24
I made an earlier post to this thread regarding setting up a dedicated Wireless B network for the Duet alone. Last night after playing MP3's for a couple of hours the controller (off the charger) reported that the players signal strength was 80. Two hours later the controller (now on the charger) reported a signal strength of 44. This morning (still on the charger) still reported 44.

Both the controller and the player maintained their connection to the network and were responsive to controller issued commands.

Since nothing was moved or reconfigured I have no idea of why this should happen.

I think others have experienced the same behavor.

Chrobrego
2008-09-25, 11:11
MY SETUP:
router:
NETGEAR WGT624
Hardware version = V3
Firmware version = V4.2.4_1.0.1

Wireless encryption = WEP 10 digits

I Use DHCP with IP address reservation for each device

Standard Wireless setup: Everything connected Wireless

My SqueezeCenter
7.2 - 22900 @ Tue Aug 26 11:27:23 PDT 2008 - Windows XP - FR - cp1252

My Receiver Firmware version: 47
My Controller Firmware version: 7,2 r2907

MY PROBLEM
When the computer has been down (which happens every day since I shut down computer at night), I can't use my Duet anymore (it should be possible at least to switch to SqueezeNetwork mode like with the Squeezebox). Even more when the computer is restarted I can't use my Duet in SqueezeCenter mode without restarting my router after the computer is restarted. This happens ALL the time so that I have now the reflex in general to restart my router each time I want to use the duet. I think there is something to fix there in priority to any other enhancement.

I don't think there is a problem with the router since I don't need to restart the router to use the wireless with my computer, laptop, or even printer.

In my case I have not the red light symptom, but the blue one.

Hopefully my description is enough precise so that Ross can reproduce the problem and help the developers to correct the problem.

Ross L
2008-09-25, 11:44
Chrobrego, unfortunately I do not have that router here to try to reproduce. However I do have a question about the router firmware, are you sure about that version?

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WGT624v3.asp

Sailnut, thanks for the details but I'm not sure the inconsistent wireless signal pertains to this topic. We can speculate as to what the cause might be, do you have a PC with a wireless adapter? Might be interesting to try netstumbler.

Jbarnes1967, this isn't the first controller related issue we've heard with the WRT600N. I also don't have one of these yet and it may be tough as its been replaced, we do have the replacement WRT610N. Anyhow please see here:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/RouterStatus

Jbarnes1967, firmware and encryption?

Chrobrego
2008-09-25, 12:53
Chrobrego, unfortunately I do not have that router here to try to reproduce. However I do have a question about the router firmware, are you sure about that version?

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WGT624v3.asp

Well I checked the router itself, it is in fact written WGT624 V2 not V3, I wonder why the Web interface indicates Hardware version = V3 in that case.

Ross L
2008-09-25, 13:07
Well I checked the router itself, it is in fact written WGT624 V2 not V3, I wonder why the Web interface indicates Hardware version = V3 in that case.

You may want to have a word with Netgear about that. Would you be willing to update the firmware of your router and see if you can still reproduce this?

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WGT624v2.asp

MrSinatra
2008-09-25, 14:05
my specs are below. fw = 1.20 for the router.

i think there is more than one issue involved here, and the conflation of factors makes figuring this out very tricky. its not just the dhcp for the SBC, my sbc has its dhcp IP reserved, (my sb2 uses a static private ip).

i think a lot of it is to do with the computer going into standby or hibernate modes. i don't notice the issue as much when using SN, but my sbc goes crazy with very limited menus if the SC isn't there.

what is the latest SBC fw? and does it come with the latest 7.3 nightly?

also, why is this bug listed under "receiver?"

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9425

and why is this bug closed?

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8252

are there any other related bugs to this issue in bugzilla?

Ross L
2008-09-25, 16:19
Mr Sinatra,

Sorry, you got me, I linked to the wrong bug. I meant to link to this one:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8159

9425 is a receiver bug, and it's also very high on my list.

I'm mostly concerned with the official release of 7.2 which is firmware r2873. I've managed to reproduce this, at least I think! I'm in the process of gathering some logs for Richard, I hope to have an update soon.

Everyone: please continue to share your networking specifics if you're seeing this specific issue. I really appreciate it! :-)

Chrobrego
2008-09-26, 09:21
Would you be willing to update the firmware of your router and see if you can still reproduce this?

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WGT624v2.asp

I've now updated manually the router firmware to latest version (V4.2.11_1.0.1) - Something that I would have done spontaneously before if the Web Interface of my router did not indicate that my firmware was up-to-date after checking on the internet -

Anyway, this did NOT change anything: same problem:
After my PC is rebooted, the receiver has a blue light, the squeezebox has a black screen, and the duet has a menu reduced to 4 entries (even though the light is white - but it cannot connect to Receiver neither Squeezebox)

Workaround again: restart the router and everything works again (until I restart my PC...)

This is 100% reproductible

My analysis of the problem: Receiver background process is unable to reconnect to the SqueezeCenter when the connection to it has been broken but while Receiver was still connected to the network. However when Receiver get disconnected from the network, after the network is reconnected, the receiver process is able to restore the connection to both network and Squeezecenter.

AV_Spyder
2008-09-26, 15:31
Thanks for the specifics, they are helping guide my tests. So far I still haven't reproduced, please keep sharing details! :)

AV spyder: How are you powering down your Receivers, and how are you turning them back on? Red light? Please elaborate on the troubles your receiver is having connecting to your Ethernet network. If you don't mind, would you please share the make, model number, and firmware version of your router?

Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been working out of town for the past week.

I powered down the receivers by switching off at the wall. When I turned them on, I can't remember the colour of the light and have since reset them.

I've just turned one back on now and it started with a green light which has gone blue. I've just powered up the controller and the wireless signal is red. Selected "choose player" and it can't see anything. Tried the same thing with the second controller and same result.

Having checked the DHCP, the receiver has an ip address (192.168.0.105) which no other device on the network has. Note that the receiver's "client hostname" on my router is very strange - it shows up as "Òä". All other devices have proper names that I recognise.

I've just tried resetting the receiver (hold down button on front until fast flashing red light). After a while it starts blinking red slowly. I shutdown and started the controller again and now when I "choose player", I see the receiver, click on it, select "ethernet", get the "connecting to ethernet" screen and then after about 10 seconds I get the "problem connecting" screen with the option to "try again" or "skip this step".

Went back one screen, clicked on "ethernet" and now I've got the "connecting to ethernet" screen which won't go away. Pressed every button on the controller and screen still won't go away. Held down the home button and it shut down.

Tried again with the controller (same steps as above and same result). Unplugged the receiver, plugged it in again and now it starts up with the slow blinking red light.

Router: Linksys BEFSX41, firmware version 1.50.18

The router has been working fine with every other device I've tried (including my squeezebox 3) for a few years. When I first got my 2 duets, it took me ages to connect them to the network but somehow I managed. I haven't turned them off until I needed to clean up the area around them and now I can't get them to work again.

Sorry for the long description but hope it helps. Let me know if you need any further info. Any suggestions on how I can get the controller to connect to the receiver would be welcomed?

-AV Spyder

Edit: I've just found out how to check the firmware version of my controllers, both are 7.2 r2873. I think the firmware has been updated on them a couple of times since I've had them.

mannekung
2008-09-26, 16:31
I believe I've said "me too" a couple of times in this forum. But the description above really goes for me as well. Especially the wired ethernet part.

pablolie
2008-09-27, 10:12
will do as soon as i return to California this weekend (on a business trip right now)...

thanks for helping us out!

I am trying to do this, and can not find the logging option under the advanced settings in 7.2?

carlandphil
2008-09-27, 17:17
This is all terribly familiar. Have had the squeezebox for a month running with no problems (i.e. convincing all my friends to get one). Updated to latest version last week and since then have had all the same problems. If I reset modem and wireless router then restart SB all is well till next time. Ongoing issue requiring reset of all components. Get the blue icon frequently and unable to connect to receiver or local PC.Streaming quality has become erratic which was previously fantastic. A solution please...

BrockStone
2008-09-27, 17:44
I've had ongoing issues like this since I got my Duet right when they came out. If I leave it for a few hours or days then come back, I always have to go through gyrations involving unplugging receivers, turning off/on the remote, and sometimes rebooting my router to get the remote/receivers to get proper DHCP addresses.

Router is WRT54G in WDS mode with another of the same, both running DD-WRT. I never have DHCP problems with any other device on this network, just the Squeezebox items.

My local network is 192.168.*.*, and when things fail the SB items get ips of 169.*.*.* which is indicative of they couldn't get a proper response from the DHCP server.

The consequence is basically such that whenever the SO wants to listen, she has to get me to spend 20 minutes running around the house getting everything going. Which really sucks.

micah
2008-09-27, 19:22
I do indeed think I have something going on with my controller. After going to sleep it does come up with the wrong or nil address. My router says it keeps sending OFFER's to the Mac Address of the controller but there are no Acknowledgments in the log the controller comes up with a random IP address or ?.?.?.?

I am using r2873 and I think I can reproduce this problem easily if there is an update out there to try.

DeVerm
2008-09-28, 01:27
As long as DHCP bugs are "resolved" by the "WONTFIX" resolution like here: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=462 customers with some DHCP servers (seems Cisco is picky when SB doesn't observe the RFC) will have the problems.

However, I don't think that this thread is about DHCP problems but wifi-reconnect after sleep... before DHCP comes into action. I write this because I see posters reporting DHCP trouble.

Nick.

epoch1970
2008-09-28, 11:40
Another problem with my Duet, may be more in line with those of others.
The receiver is wired and connected to an OS X SC7.2 server. The machine was up all the time and SC wasn't stopped.
Yesterday I was playing music until 8PM on the Duet. At that time I put the Receiver Off and the Controller in its cradle. The Receiver is bridged to the Controller.
Today at 7PM I took the Controller, showing a blue fan icon. Trying to put the receiver back on led to a connection attempt to the SC server, which failed. I tried this a few times.
Then I rebooted the controller (off/on), it came up with a white fan icon and was operational again.
Here is the relevant (?) DHCP log. 192.168.1.250 is the Receiver, 192.168.1.251 is the Controller, and 192.168.1.198 is the OSX SC host. The DHCP server is supposed to serve 9-hour default leases and 24-hour maximum leases. MAC addresses have been edited :
Sep 28 19:11:18 dhcpd: Wrote 8 leases to leases file.
Sep 28 19:11:18 dhcpd: Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Sep 28 19:11:18 dhcpd: Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Sep 28 19:04:34 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.251 to 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
Sep 28 19:04:34 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.251 (192.168.1.1) from 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
Sep 28 19:04:34 dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.1.251 to 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
Sep 28 19:04:34 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
Sep 28 19:04:32 dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.1.251 to 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
Sep 28 19:04:32 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
Sep 28 19:04:28 dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.1.251 to 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
Sep 28 19:04:28 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
(NOTE: Controller rebooted @ 19h04)
Sep 28 18:43:38 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.250 to 00:04:01:02:03:04 via sis0
Sep 28 18:43:38 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.250 from 00:04:01:02:03:04 via sis0
Sep 28 17:49:25 dhcpd: Wrote 8 leases to leases file.
Sep 28 17:49:25 dhcpd: Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Sep 28 17:49:25 dhcpd: Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Sep 28 16:12:15 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.251 to 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
Sep 28 16:12:15 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.251 from 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
Sep 28 14:10:33 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.250 to 00:04:01:02:03:04 via sis0
Sep 28 14:10:33 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.250 from 00:04:01:02:03:04 via sis0
Sep 28 13:59:17 dhcpd: Wrote 8 leases to leases file.
Sep 28 13:59:17 dhcpd: Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Sep 28 13:59:17 dhcpd: Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Sep 28 11:41:28 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.198 to 00:01:02:03:04:05 (odessa) via sis0
Sep 28 11:41:28 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.198 from 00:01:02:03:04:05 (odessa) via sis0
Sep 28 11:41:28 dhcpd: Wrote 8 leases to leases file.
Sep 28 11:41:28 dhcpd: Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Sep 28 11:41:28 dhcpd: Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Sep 28 11:38:38 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.251 to 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
Sep 28 11:38:38 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.251 from 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
Sep 28 09:56:12 dhcpd: Wrote 8 leases to leases file.
Sep 28 09:56:12 dhcpd: Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Sep 28 09:56:12 dhcpd: Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Sep 28 09:37:29 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.250 to 00:04:01:02:03:04 via sis0
Sep 28 09:37:29 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.250 from 00:04:01:02:03:04 via sis0
Sep 28 05:32:06 dhcpd: Wrote 8 leases to leases file.
Sep 28 05:32:06 dhcpd: Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Sep 28 05:32:06 dhcpd: Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Sep 28 05:23:00 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.251 to 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
Sep 28 05:23:00 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.251 from 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
Sep 28 05:04:24 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.250 to 00:04:01:02:03:04 via sis0
Sep 28 05:04:24 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.250 from 00:04:01:02:03:04 via sis0
Sep 28 02:08:45 dhcpd: Wrote 8 leases to leases file.
Sep 28 02:08:45 dhcpd: Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Sep 28 02:08:45 dhcpd: Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Sep 28 00:59:02 dhcpd: Wrote 8 leases to leases file.
Sep 28 00:59:02 dhcpd: Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Sep 28 00:59:02 dhcpd: Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Sep 28 00:49:22 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.251 to 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
Sep 28 00:49:21 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.251 from 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
Sep 28 00:31:19 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.250 to 00:04:01:02:03:04 via sis0
Sep 28 00:31:19 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.250 from 00:04:01:02:03:04 via sis0
Sep 27 23:41:27 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.198 to 00:01:02:03:04:05 (odessa) via sis0
Sep 27 23:41:27 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.198 from 00:01:02:03:04:05 (odessa) via sis0
Sep 27 23:41:27 dhcpd: Wrote 8 leases to leases file.
Sep 27 23:41:27 dhcpd: Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Sep 27 23:41:27 dhcpd: Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Sep 27 21:39:44 dhcpd: Wrote 8 leases to leases file.
Sep 27 21:39:44 dhcpd: Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Sep 27 21:39:44 dhcpd: Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Sep 27 20:25:58 dhcpd: Wrote 8 leases to leases file.
Sep 27 20:25:58 dhcpd: Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Sep 27 20:25:58 dhcpd: Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Sep 27 19:58:14 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.250 to 00:04:01:02:03:04 via sis0
Sep 27 19:58:14 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.250 from 00:04:01:02:03:04 via sis0
Sep 27 18:33:47 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.251 to 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
Sep 27 18:33:47 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.251 from 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
Sep 27 17:46:23 dhcpd: Wrote 8 leases to leases file.
Sep 27 17:46:23 dhcpd: Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Sep 27 17:46:23 dhcpd: Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Sep 27 15:52:54 dhcpd: Wrote 8 leases to leases file.
Sep 27 15:52:54 dhcpd: Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Sep 27 15:52:54 dhcpd: Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Sep 27 15:25:09 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.250 to 00:04:01:02:03:04 via sis0
Sep 27 15:25:09 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.250 from 00:04:01:02:03:04 via sis0
Sep 27 14:00:19 dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.251 to 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0
Sep 27 14:00:19 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.251 from 00:04:FF:FE:FD:FC via sis0Controller leases requests seem a bit more irregular than those of the Receiver.
The Receiver and Controller are placed in the same room, something like 4 meter apart.

Ross L
2008-09-29, 17:28
Mannekung, Could you please share your networking details asked for in the original post of this thread?

pablolie, to get to the advanced logging menu on your controller you must first have an SD card in the Controller with a directory named log.

Carlandphil, thanks for recommending us! Would you mind answering my questions in the initial post regarding networking specifics?

remd
2008-09-30, 03:48
My Duet controller also has a red wifi sign sometimes after wake up. It stays red, but it is working normally..

I have another Duet that doesnt wake up after sleep. Only the buttons are illuminated. I then have to reboot for it to work.
Probably a hardware default ?

Both on r2873 and SC7.2/SN.

pablolie
2008-09-30, 07:32
Mannekung, Could you please share your networking details asked for in the original post of this thread?

pablolie, to get to the advanced logging menu on your controller you must first have an SD card in the Controller with a directory named log.

Carlandphil, thanks for recommending us! Would you mind answering my questions in the initial post regarding networking specifics?

Last question: now in logging I see a huge number of options. Just let it run and write down the time of the issue, and then send you the log file?

Ross L
2008-09-30, 11:05
Last question: now in logging I see a huge number of options. Just let it run and write down the time of the issue, and then send you the log file?

Select SlimServer please.

Remd, this is very interesting. I haven't heard of the red icon and Controller still works issue in quite some time. These aren't beta units are they? Would you please share the networking specifics?

Doc_D
2008-10-01, 22:57
I have been frustrated by these symptoms and I am glad that I found this thread.

I have an incident open [Incident: 080916-002230]

I initially tried the receiver and remote connected wireless to my main network via a Linksys WAP54G Wireless Access Point (Firmware 3.0.5) Australian Wireless Chan 11. The DHCP is handled by a Windows 2000 server with reservations set for both Receiver and Controller. I had just picked up a Dell Poweredge 2650 server for work so I installed Windows 2003 server, joined it to my AD domain and ran SqueezeCenter on that. In an attempt to increase reliability I ran a CAT5 to the Receiver from a Netgear 24 port switch. No much changed. Installed The SqueezeCentre App on a Windows XP workstation. No much changed, still unreliable controller connections.

My Network's Gateway/Router is a Billion VGOM with Wireless (at the other end of the house from the Linksys WAP) I tried moving the Controller's connection to that connection (Australian Wireless Chan 1) but no real change.

After creating the ticket with support and getting the typical instructions on how to reset the Duet system, I moved the the Squeezebox off of the main network completely and connected it to a small network that I use for some hosting and VoIP stuff. This consists of a Linksys WRT54GL running dd-wrt v24-sp1. With the exception of listening to internet radio stations, Frankly its worse! The remote still falls of the network giving me either Blue WiFi icon or after waking up gives the endless life-ring of death 'Connecting to Squeezebox' but now with the added frustration of songs stopping part-way through.

I have submitted a log from squeezecentre (on the Poweredge) as a part of the incident ticket. It shows some networking issues.

Looking at this thread I am sure that with some effort it could be easily reproduced. Maybe trying different hardware batches from the manufacturer in China.

If people are reporting that the problem might be worse with version 7.2. Where can we access older version?

Like others have stated, all wireless networking in my environment with the exception of this latest addition, is very reliable. I don't believe updating firmware on routers is the right tree to bark up.

Regards,

MD

Flipper
2008-10-03, 17:20
New user here.

Brought my Duet last weekend. Had quite a hard time getting it all to work on Saturday when I brought it home. Not sure what sequence of events got it working as I was resetting and rebooting in frustration and it started to work.

Sunday morning I had to repeat this exercise to get it running again.

This evening I paid more attention to what was going on. I started from a point of having SC running on the PC and both the receiver and the SBC were off.

I turned on the receiver and it connected to SC. Checked the DHCP client table on my Linksys BEFW11S4 (FW 1.52.02) and I could see the receiver. I could also see the receiver from SC on my PC.

Turned on the SBC and all I got was the connecting to Squeezbox message but never connecting. Performed a factory reset on the SBC and then it would not connect to my wireless network. Just kept getting the screen with the revolving circles telling me it was attempting to connect to my network but it never would. Checked my router and there was no evidence of the SBC on the network.

Called tech support and they basically had me reboot and reset everything. Finally got me up and running until the next time....

What is strange to me is that despite the fact that everything is working, my Linksys router does not show the SBC in the DHCP clients table.

If I dump the arp cache on my PC (Windows XP) I can see the SBC and the receiver and I can also ping them both.

Suggestions welcome. I love this product when it is working.

Mike-NC
2008-10-04, 21:45
There are a number of network related issues that can occur with Duet and Controller [...]

If you see this please reply to this thread with your wireless router / access point model number and version, and firmware version. As well please share your wireless encryption settings, and DHCP status. Also please let us know if this is a "standard wireless" setup or bridged (Receiver connected via Ethernet), and finally the firmware version of the controller available in Settings -> Advanced -> About. [...]

Hi Ross,

My Duet is new, and I have experienced occasional problems with the controller's not connecting after sleep. One time when the controller was sleeping or off, I turned off my computer (which was the current music source). When the controller woke, it tried to connect to the computer and I had a hard time getting it to recognize the Squeeze Network. I know I had to turn it off and maybe do more -- I don't remember.

A more common problem here is that when the controller sleeps, it sometimes wakes up with "Connecting to AZALEA" (the name of my computer), but it never connects. When I turn it off and back on again, usually it is fine. This does not seem to happen when the music source is the Squeeze Network.

Another time, the controller froze up when I was turning it off and the power-off symbol stayed on the display. I had to remove the battery to reboot it. I would think a reset button on the back might be a good idea if you can't squash these bugs.

Router: ZyXEL X-550
Firmware: X550_1.3
Wireless encryptation: WPA2
DHCP: In an attempt to alleviate this issue, I have set the router to reserve static IP addresses for both the controller and the receiver.
Wireless connection: standard
Controller version: 7.2r2873

Hope that helps!

Mike

EFP
2008-10-06, 17:41
I turned on the receiver and it connected to SC. Checked the DHCP client table on my Linksys BEFW11S4 (FW 1.52.02) and I could see the receiver. I could also see the receiver from SC on my PC.

I'm using a Linksys BEFW11S4, a v4, with the same firmware revision (now over 2 years old), wireless secured by WPA.
From time to time I find that it needs to be power cycled for the DHCP server to behave properly, otherwise I have the same symptoms with clients not able to connect to SqueezeCenter.
At home I have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 running tomato (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato) that has been rock solid for months.

thhv
2008-10-08, 05:41
Same error here. "Connecting to Squeezebox...".
I only have one DUET. If i restart the controller it let's me choose between two receivers. A new one with with the same MAC digits. If i choose the new one I'm not able to connect to SC server (But SC web can play to the receiver!) If I choose the original it only says: "Connecting to Squeezebox..." and nothing happens.

I have also seen it give me the choice between two recievers with almost the same MAC digits.
#1 ending with 16750F
#2 ending with 16750f

#2 usually works.

Im using static dhcp ip's with Linksys WRT54GL dd-wrt v. 24SP1 WAP2
SC 7.3 (I have also connection issues with 7.2)

Need a solution (SONOS Maybe? ;-) )

pablolie
2008-10-09, 17:28
I hope I am not jinxing myself by writing this.

In the end, I bit the bullet and decided to buy a new wireless router.

I had been looking at the dual band Linksys WRT610N, which had been listed as tested and trouble free for Duet operation, too.

With some apprehension I plonked down $170. But it was money well spent - as far as the Duet works, it seems to now work flawlessly.

I'll observe it for a longer period of time, and will report.

pablolie
2008-10-09, 20:36

I'll observe it for a longer period of time, and will report.

I can confirm that even after doing all the things that usually would get the controller to go haywire, with the new router things are working very well indeed. I am very pleased. Te new router doesn't quite have the reach of the old one (those integrated antennas look good, but sorry they do not work that well) but it works. One of the Booms now gets borderline (~30%) wireless quality, but still seems to play FLACs.

But the Duet is working wihout any hickups. Tonight I will try the sleep mode. That will be the last thing to try.

Doc_D
2008-10-14, 03:47
Same error here. "Connecting to Squeezebox...".
I......
I have also seen it give me the choice between two recievers with almost the same MAC digits.
#1 ending with 16750F
#2 ending with 16750f

#2 usually works.

Im using static dhcp ip's with Linksys WRT54GL dd-wrt v. 24SP1 WAP2
SC 7.3 (I have also connection issues with 7.2)

Need a solution (SONOS Maybe? ;-) )

I Wonder if thhv is onto something here. Do certain (most?) implementations of DHCP cop the proverbial spanner in the works by certain batches of the Duet hardware messing with upper/lower case in the MAC?

Logitech support have asked me to return my duet. (the moment I answered the question "please tell us the PID of teh controller") but I am skeptical that a three week turn around by the online store (tradeclub.com.au ) will resolve the issue if there is a more findamental issue that RossL is trying to get to the bottom of.

MD

thhv
2008-10-14, 04:28
I Wonder if thhv is onto something here. Do certain (most?) implementations of DHCP cop the proverbial spanner in the works by certain batches of the Duet hardware messing with upper/lower case in the MAC?

I think I'm on to something :-)
I have solved the problem by assign static IP addresses to both the Controller and the Receiver, by using LOWER CASE MAC DIGITS ONLY!

In my Linksys DD-WRT router, this is done by using the Services section "Additional DNSMasq Options" using syntax:
dhcp-host=[Lower case MAC],[Static IP]

I'm not a DHCP guru, but I think a combination of a particular DHCP server and the DUET doesn't handle the MACs in the right lower/upper case way. It's somehow getting it messed up. Maybe some Slim technicians can solve this? (especially for those who dosen't use static IP's - they must be lost)

All I know is that my DUET is now working flawlessly now, and I'm very happy :-)

Thomas

merrickw
2008-10-14, 09:56
I have solved the problem by assign static IP addresses to both the Controller and the Receiver, by using LOWER CASE MAC DIGITS ONLY!

In my Linksys DD-WRT router, this is done by using the Services section "Additional DNSMasq Options" using syntax:
dhcp-host=[Lower case MAC],[Static IP]

I'm not a DHCP guru, but I think a combination of a particular DHCP server and the DUET doesn't handle the MACs in the right lower/upper case way. It's somehow getting it messed up. Maybe some Slim technicians can solve this? (especially for those who dosen't use static IP's - they must be lost)

All I know is that my DUET is now working flawlessly now, and I'm very happy :-)

Thomas

Question - when you say "Static Route" - is that the same as "address reservation" under DHCP? In my Netgear router I believe static route is between routers and other networks.

Also, when I try to set an address reservation using lower case MACs, the interface converts it to upper case. So if this is indeed a particular bug I hope it gets fixed since my router won't take the workaround. Congratulations on getting yours working!

Hangleton
2008-10-14, 11:55
Hi all,

Here are my experiences, in case they’re of any interest.

I have had my duet for a couple of weeks, having owned an SB3 for about a year, which has worked perfectly since I bought it. I have a Draytek Vigor 2600+ router and am running SC 7.2. All wireless, using WPA.

Seems to me there are several issues with the duet.

First, I found that I was losing wireless connectivity on the controller after sleep. However, on waking the controller, my wireless network frequently dropped completely. All other devices (non-squeezebox) lost connectivity too. The only way to resolve this was to restart my router. I turned off wireless power saving mode on the controller, and this problem has gone away. Admittedly my router is about 3 years old, and the last firmware update was 2006, but it seems to me the SBC must be doing something out of the ordinary to cause a router crash.

Second, my duet seems to be much more sensitive to weak wireless signals than the SB3.. and when it’s lost connection to the network, it is often unable to reconnect. Similarly, the controller can’t see it. The only way around this is to reset both the duet and the controller (sometimes several times) until the controller could see the duet and reconnect to the network. At present I have a second WAP with the same SSID, and the Duet seems to be occasionally switching between the two, and for the moment network connectivity appears to be stable.

Third, my controller loses contact with SC. It is still connected to the network (Blue icon), but can’t connect to SC. This is reproducible, just by accessing something that takes a long time for SC to respond.. for instance, if I browse by genre and choose Rock, or Alternative, there are so many albums (70,000 songs in my collection) that SC takes too long, and the controller seems to time out. Can’t reconnect without switching the controller on and off, sometimes twice.

Also, when getting up in the morning, I usually find that the controller has lost contact and needs to be restarted. I leave music playing overnight, and the controller shows the track that was playing when it lost contact, and usually shows that the track is several hours long. By deduction, I can work out roughly what time the controller lost contact. It may be coincidence, but it seems to be losing contact during the nightly rescan – I can’t say for sure which phase, It's hard to do the calculations exactly, but I suspect the optimise phase.

Hope this is of use to somebody, and hope also that some or all of these issues are fixed soon. I adore the SB Controller, when it’s working. But much as I would love to, I honestly can’t recommend it to my friends right now – it’s far too much hassle at present.

Thanks

Andy

Ross L
2008-10-14, 13:46
Something to try. Anyone seeing this issue, or if you think you're seeing this issue it wouldn't hurt to try this.

On your Controller go to Settings - Advanced - Factory Test - Power management, then uncheck wireless power save.

Let us know what you find. Thanks again to everyone for the great details!

catbb67
2008-10-15, 15:47
#1 ending with 16750F
#2 ending with 16750f

#2 usually works.

I have seen this many times and neither #1 or #2 worked for me.

Third, my controller loses contact with SC. It is still connected to the network (Blue icon), but can’t connect to SC. This is reproducible, just by accessing something that takes a long time for SC to respond.. for instance, if I browse by genre and choose Rock, or Alternative, there are so many albums (70,000 songs in my collection) that SC takes too long, and the controller seems to time out. Can’t reconnect without switching the controller on and off, sometimes twice.
In my case, adding an artist(who has about 70 songs) to the playlist makes the controller lose the connection to the SC.

Also, when getting up in the morning, I usually find that the controller has lost contact and needs to be restarted. I leave music playing overnight, and the controller shows the track that was playing when it lost contact, and usually shows that the track is several hours long.

I have seen this many times also. The connection is lost. But the last song played is shown as playing and the time has gone on for hours. More of my network, HW and PC settings are in Bug 9176.

Stephen

MrSinatra
2008-10-15, 17:05
maybe i'm being dense here, but aren't mac addys always supposed to be in caps? and regardless, why can't the slim clients just be case insensitive?

are the routers to blame for cap issues?

Flipper
2008-10-15, 17:41
Made a change to my Linksys BEFW11S4 config which appears to have increased stability of my setup so far. I made the change approximately 3 days ago.

I changed the client lease time setting to 50000 from 0. Linksys documentation indicates that 0 means a DHCP lease time of 2 days but I have to wonder.

Since I made this change I have not experienced any connectivity issues and I was regularly experiencing them before. I can see from the DHCP table that clients are getting the same IP address when I power cycle, etc.

Yesterday I also turned off the wireless power save as mentioned earlier in this thread. I don't believe this made much difference in my case. I plan to disable it after a few days of stability to see.

VictorLaszlo
2008-10-16, 01:54
After a few weeks of the dreaded blue icon, reboots, resets and switching my Duet controller on and off several times a day, everything seemed to settle down (touch wood) after assigning static DHCPs for Squeezebox and controller. My previously very flaky Linksys WRT54GC is now behaving itself, I have WPA2 enabled and music fills the air. I'm glad it's sorted because when it works, the Duet is a fabulous product.

Mushroom_3
2008-10-16, 11:07
Something to try. Anyone seeing this issue, or if you think you're seeing this issue it wouldn't hurt to try this.

On your Controller go to Settings - Advanced - Factory Test - Power management, then uncheck wireless power save.

I did this and 24 hours later the blue symbol appeared. I had been trouble free for about a week before that. Needless to say I have turned it back on.

epoch1970
2008-10-16, 14:20

Bridge mode, here.
I am under the impression removing PM improves things. It's been about 1 day, but the player has been connected unusually long to SN so I can't be sure. I'll edit this post when I know more in a little while.

Currently using: SC 7.2.1, firmwares v7.2r3080 and v48
Update 1: no luck, with the SC battery running a bit low, staying idle for half an hour or so, I got the blue fan. Came closer to the receiver an had a white fan, but couldn't connect to server. I was able to power on and off the receiver from the controller (that was a bit slow), but the receiver seemed to have lost the server. After a power cycle on the Receiver, the Controller was fine again.

Yannzola
2008-10-17, 17:02

Thomas
Thomas... I love you.
I'm also running DD-WRT (v24-sp1 mini) on a Linksys 54G... all I did was change the MAC addresses I already had specified in Services (under Static Leases) to all lower case. Applied changes. Restarted my Controller.... and VIOLA! It works! No more random disconnects and it can jump from device to device without hanging.

I'm so happy. Thanks!

Chrobrego
2008-10-18, 02:00
Thomas... I love you.
I'm also running DD-WRT (v24-sp1 mini) on a Linksys 54G... all I did was change the MAC addresses I already had specified in Services (under Static Leases) to all lower case. Applied changes. Restarted my Controller.... and VIOLA! It works! No more random disconnects and it can jump from device to device without hanging.

I'm so happy. Thanks!

My router (Netgear WGT624) automatically stores Mac addresses to upper cases even if I specify lower cases, so I don't have possibility to check that trick, unfortunately. But what is Slim Devices thinking about it? Can we expect a fix now that we know one of the causes (which certainly needs to be confirmed)?

trailway
2008-10-18, 05:29
I have a Duet system. I was listening to it fine Thursday night and returned the controller to the charger station. On Friday, I removed it from the charger and it would not connect to any music source though I tried repeatedly and moved around the house. I was able to play music from my computer using SqueezeCenter (the reciever has no wired connection to the network) and my laptop connected fine to the wireless network. The light on the reciever appeared to be normal. Finally, I used the menu on the controller to power it off, waited a couple of minutes, and then powered it on. It started working great.

pablolie
2008-10-18, 21:54
My Duet is behaving *much* better with a new wireless router.

But it still displays very temperamental behavior under admittedly unusual circumstances: I have now consolidated all household server duties on a Vista 64 machine (most silent machine I have built yet) and have (with a heavy heart) momentarily retired my former Ubuntu-based SlimServer. Yje Duet Receiver-Controller combio did not take to the change kindly until I went for a hard reset and reconfigured them from scratch. The SB3s and Booms didn't mind the change at all. Strange.

After the change in server hardware, the Duet would keep interrupting a song 1 or 2 minutes into it, and play back from the start. It hasn't happened again since I got tired of it and reconfigured it from scratch.

After the server change, the Duet also had issues with Squeezenetwork (related perhaps?). It was the only machine that Squeezenetwork asked me to add, even thougn it was clearly there. It seems that because of the change in server hardware it was seen differently... hasn't been the case with the other devices in the network, SN has accepted them gently no matter what server situation was there.

Odd.

adamslim
2008-10-18, 23:18
If you see this please reply to this thread with your wireless router / access point model number and version, and firmware version. As well please share your wireless encryption settings, and DHCP status. Also please let us know if this is a "standard wireless" setup or bridged (Receiver connected via Ethernet), and finally the firmware version of the controller available in Settings -> Advanced -> About.

Thomson Speedtouch 585, release 6.1.4.3; WPA-PSK; standard wireless (using an SB3 not a Receiver); Controller (beta) r2673 with IP address 192.168.1.74, shown on both Controller and router settings.

Symptoms: Controller is left in cradle every night. It shows the clock fine, but when picked up the wifi indicator is blue and it cannot connect to the server. My workaround is simple - don't leave it on or switch it off then back on!

Kplan
2008-10-24, 03:27
Same problem here.

I have a Netgear WNDR3300 Router wired connected to a SB receiver (living room). The Vista 32bit based computer is connected thru a Netgear WNHDE111 in 5GHz/N bridge mode to the router. This connection is rock solid and I never encountered a problem. The SB Controller is connected directly to the WNDR3300 G-Network. With the wired SB receiver in the living room I don't have any connection problems. I can put down the SB Controller for hours either with or without the charging station. The SB Controller resumes very quickly and I can continue listening music.
But in the bedroom I have every day the mentioned reconnect error. The SB Receiver there is connected throu a standalone AP from Zyxel which is wired to the router. This is because the signal in the bedroom is stronger with the Zyxel as with the Netgear. I use the same SB Controller to control the receiver in the bedroom.
Every day there are such interrupts with the controller. Even if the receiver still plays "good night music", the controller loses the connection and tries endlessly to reconnect. This can be after 5mins laying around in the bedroom or for sure on the next morning. Every time I need to reboot the controller. After that, the controller can always connect to the SqueezeCenter on my computer.

The Zyxel AP runs on channel 1, the Netgear router on channel 13. There are several other APs in the Neigbourhood but all those have other channels and very poor signal strength. But the signal quality of the netgear's AP is very unstable and varys between 0 and 40%. So it can be that the controller loses connection. But it should be able to reconnect on it's own if the connection is there again. The Quality over the Zyxel is between 40 and 60%. FLACs can easily be streamed over it.

All devices in my network have reserved IPs in the router. The sqzeezeCenter-computer is hibernated every night.

How far is the progress of this bug? Will it be in the 7.3 release? When will the 7.3 release be?

Thank you for your engagement.

Ross L
2008-10-24, 15:35
We think we have a number of these Blue Icon Of Doom issues resolved. The fix will be pushed out sometime next week, but if you'd like to try it now you can download a custom Controller firmware version and a custom version file here:

http://eng.slimdevices.com/~ross/

Simply put both of those files in your cache directory, and connect your controller to a player connected to your SqueezeCenter and your Controller should prompt to update. Cache directory for OSX:

~/Library/Caches/SqueezeCenter/

Cache directory for XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SqueezeCenter\Cache

Application Data is a hidden directory, you'll need to enable show hidden files and folders from folder options (tools - folder options - view, from explorer) to browse to this directory.

Let us know what you find.

StanByk
2008-10-24, 15:44
Hi Ross,
I seem to have similar problems with the controller not connecting to SqueezeNetwork with the current beta nightlies.
Will this new code also be implemented into the beta firmware?
Thank you
Robert

Ross L
2008-10-24, 15:49
Hi Ross,
I seem to have similar problems with the controller not connecting to SqueezeNetwork with the current beta nightlies.
Will this new code also be implemented into the beta firmware?
Thank you
Robert

Hey Robert,

Yes this just went live in beta about 10 minutes ago, see here:

http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.3/

You'll need to restart your server or wait 24 hours.

jmschnur
2008-10-25, 11:05
After sleep last night my receiver did not work in the morning. After a reboot of my 7.2.1 the music library works fine but the internet radio stations do not.

My SB3 is working fine with both internet radio stations and my library. I am using Vista- would XP be better for the Duet?

Will the new controller firmware adress this issue or is there another fix?

Joel

pablolie
2008-10-25, 14:03
Same here - with the new 7.2.1 all of a sudden my Receiver has gone dark. When trying to reconnect it with the Controller, the controller will off me 2 players, one with a cryptic name (which I assume is the Receiver as it tries to rejoin but has forgotten who he is), and then the old name of the player. Then the receiver will go green, then blue, then dark again.

This is irritating. 30 minutes into it and I will have to go for a factory reset, and eneter everything from scratch. Then it will work again until this happens again in a few weeks.

pablolie
2008-10-25, 14:06
Same here - with the new 7.2.1 all of a sudden my Receiver has gone dark. When trying to reconnect it with the Controller, the controller will off me 2 players, one with a cryptic name (which I assume is the Receiver as it tries to rejoin but has forgotten who he is), and then the old name of the player. Then the receiver will go green, then blue, then dark again.

This is irritating. 30 minutes into it and I will have to go for a factory reset, and eneter everything from scratch. Then it will work again until this happens again in a few weeks.

Red-yellow-green-blue (just as I tell the Controller which server to connect to) and then it goes dark again.

Note that the only player ID that will make the receiver look like it is about to join the the crypticone (6B5466 or the like), the controller will not go anywhere if I tell it to connect to the "old" receiver name.

pablolie
2008-10-25, 14:16
I am very mad, and shall not post again until I calm down. I'd really say horrible things about the Duet right now. Why does this crap always happen on weekends when one wants to listen to music, and why is the Duet so unreliable cokmpared to the SB3s and Booms I have in the house? ARGH!@!$#@

OhPinchy
2008-10-25, 18:45
I've been having intermittent problems with my Duet controller disconnecting, hanging etc. Should I try the 7.2 update posted here or the 7.3 beta (i.e. does the beta also include that fix)? How do I go about updating to the beta?

Neo
2008-10-26, 06:24
Same problem here.
Have a Boom, which connects wireless without any issue.
The SB receiver works fine and is connected wired, but the SB controller... that's turning out to be a sad story.
The controller loses connection to the music source after 30 sec of none use, almost as fast as the screen turns off. as long as you use it, no prob, but when you stop it won't find the music source or the SB receiver anymore.
am using 7.2 as server SW.
My Netgear WPNT834 has been reconfigured to only accept B and G wireless devices.

It would be great to solve the issue as I have a couple more projects with SB lined up !

Anybody who can help?

forddonald
2008-10-26, 09:29
Me, too.

Wireless: Apple Time Capsule, latest FW (7.3.2)
SqueezeCenter: 7.2.0, Ubuntu 7.10 in a virtual machine
Players: Transporter, wireless; 2x Receivers, both wireless
Controller: 7.2 r2873, static DHCP entry (router gives it the same IP every time based on MAC address)

jmschnur
2008-10-26, 09:54
I brought my receiver down to my router, I took the battery ut of the controller and then put it back in. I then plugged in the receiver. This worked after a 5-10 minute wait.

I then unplugged the reciever and put it where it belongs.

I had to turn the receiver on and off and unplug it once it this worked.

I do not have a connection to the Slim internet radio channels.

Trying to connect to these leads me to a dark receiver and I needed to go through the above procedure to get things working.

However my slimserver works fine for my ripped music.

Clearly there are serious software/firmware issues that need to be addressed.

Help??

Joel

epoch1970
2008-10-26, 13:40
We think we have a number of these Blue Icon Of Doom issues resolved. The fix will be pushed out sometime next week, but if you'd like to try it now you can download a custom Controller firmware version and a custom version file here:

Simply put both of those files in your cache directory, and connect your controller to a player connected to your SqueezeCenter and your Controller should prompt to update. Cache directory for OSX:

Cache directory for XP:

Application Data is a hidden directory, you'll need to enable show hidden files and folders from folder options (tools - folder options - view, from explorer) to browse to this directory.

Ross,
I don't know if I am in the general case but under OS X.5.5 (upgraded many times, OS X and SlimCenter/Squeezecenter too) my Jive files seem to be in ~/Library/Caches/SlimServer.

Under debian (ubuntu too I guess), the location would be: /var/lib/squeezecenter/cache

Now I'll be loading this firmware. Thanks for your work.

Update. Nah, my controller refuses to see anything above r3080, sorry.

VictorLaszlo
2008-10-27, 11:41

Cache directory for XP:

While assigning fixed IP addresses brought brief respite, the Blue Icon Of Doom (hereafter referred to as the BIOD) subsequently returned with a vengeance. I loaded the new controller firmware Saturday (had to use an SD card) but the BIOD has now seized complete control, winking its evil blue eye at me every time I think of a song I want to hear. Any suggestions?

SqueezeCenter 7.2.1-23630
Controller 7.2r3191
Linksys WRT54GC v2 (1.01.0)

OhPinchy
2008-10-27, 14:02
I've been having intermittent problems with my Duet controller disconnecting, hanging etc. Should I try the 7.2 update posted here or the 7.3 beta (i.e. does the beta also include that fix)? How do I go about updating to the beta?

Just bumping to see if anyone has advice on whether the 7.3 beta would overwrite the 7.2.1 fix for this issue or if 7.3 beta includes it.

I kicked off the 7.2.1 update from the web UI, but how do I install the 7.3 update if I do go for it (I put it into the cache folder but wasn't prompted to install it after a server restart).

forddonald
2008-10-27, 14:29
Update. Nah, my controller refuses to see anything above r3080, sorry.

Ditto.

I loaded the patch jive FW every way I could think of in /cache folder of my Ubuntu SC and the Controller doesn't know of anything but r3080. Boo.

Kim.T
2008-10-28, 00:29
I have just upgraded to r3191 FW on the controller and the BIOD has NOT disapeared! If I place the contrller in a place where there is almost no signal the controller still gets a BIOD after 15-20min and will not reconnect to the server.
I took the controller into the room where the router is placed (ZyXEL 2602) and still no connection to the server. First after a reboot the controller would reconnect.

UPDATE : Even in the same room as the router the contrller get the BIOD after laying arount untouch for 10-15min.

tripleseven
2008-10-28, 00:45
i turned the controller off overnight, when starting it this morning it cant find anything... neither squeezecenter nor the squeezenetwork... my WLAN works fine otherwise. restarting / factory resetting is not helping... its seeing a squeezebox player but cant connect or do anything... what do i do

Ross L
2008-10-28, 12:17
r3191 is now being pushed to 7.2.1 users, so I've removed the custom files I linked too in my last post. If you're using 7.2.1 your controller should already be updated to r3191, if not you can simply restart SqueezeCenter and that should push the update.

Pablolie, any update? Contact me in private if you prefer.

OhPinchy, yes 7.3 beta includes this fix.

Neo, care to try 7.2.1 and see if this fix helps you?

FordDonald, care to try 7.2.1? You're also seeing the blue icon issues? I take it you had issues with the custom.jive.version/bin, no big deal r3191 is being pushed to all 7.2.1 users now, just update to 7.2.1 and you'll get it.

Jmschnur, what Internet radio stream caused your receiver to turn itself off? I tested a number of slim picks with r3191 and they played just fine.

Kim T. Sounds a lot like http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7153

Tripleseven, what version of SqueezeCenter are you running, and could you please share some networking specifics?

forddonald
2008-10-28, 18:25
Refreshed apt-get and loaded 7.2.1 into the Linux VM I'm using. I'm sure I already had 7.2.1 on there, but I guess this is a fresher one, and apt can tell the difference.

Sure enough, the new jive FW is in there, and updated. Looks good to me, but time will tell.

BTW I bought a SB Boom today @ Best Buy. In a word: brilliant! What a superb little music system it is. It has heft, a quality feel and is instantly usable (esp. for an old hand with Squeezeboxen). I'm glad I asked for it:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=36603

Kim.T
2008-10-29, 01:49

Yes I have had this problem since I got the Duet back in March, and was disapointed when I saw that the bug was moved to 7.3. The ZyXEL router is a wery common router used in Denamrk by serveral ISP'er and I had contact to Richard back in March/April - but I don't have the PW for my router - it's configured and paid by my employer. So I'm still waiting for a solution.

jmschnur
2008-10-29, 09:35
After update it is better but controller disconects from squeeze network repeatedley and then offers me a new pin to reconnect. I hae now delted my Duet three times and added it with the new pins but it soon stops and the process repeats.

Also reconncected to the receiver is still problematic. I needed to turn off and then turn on the controller to get this work last time around.

Ross L
2008-10-29, 11:33
Joel, if you haven't already, please contact support.

Yannzola
2008-10-30, 12:26
Thomas... I love you.
I'm also running DD-WRT (v24-sp1 mini) on a Linksys 54G... all I did was change the MAC addresses I already had specified in Services (under Static Leases) to all lower case. Applied changes. Restarted my Controller.... and VIOLA! It works! No more random disconnects and it can jump from device to device without hanging. Before adjusting the MAC adresses to lower-case, connection loss was occurring all the time.

I'm so happy. Thanks!

Just to clarify the above: Overall behaviour is vastly improved in terms of connectivity. However, the issue of the "blue light" after resting in the cradle overnight is still an issue (latest Controller firmware and recent 7.2.1 SC update). However, this is a minor nuisance, as restarting the Controller (power off > on) re-establishes the connection without a hitch.

DD-WRT (v24-sp1 mini) on a Linksys 54G
SC 7.2.1 + latest Controller firmware (via auto-update)
wireless reciever + wireless controller

jmschnur
2008-11-01, 14:29
Joel, if you haven't already, please contact support.

I did- new Duet was sent to me. Interesting issue with non registered MAC adresses.

I used a direct EHTERNET connection with the new one to make sure I got the correct updates. I have not yet tried sleep- but all esle seems to be working-so far

Joel

mikelee999
2008-11-01, 22:28
I've had a case open about this for nearly 6 months. At least in my case, when the controller is blue, it does connect to the SqueezeCenter computer. It can download album art. It can (try) to download updates.

I've sent Support network traces proving that it isn't about wireless config, with helpful hints. They won't look at the traces. They want me to RMA the controller. I've told them I will if they give me 10 free SBC/Duet packages if it doesn't fix the problem. And if it does, I'll buy a SBC/Duet package and gift it.

They have a problem. They need to admit it.

Mnyb
2008-11-02, 02:28
Hmm I've got my first biod today, some change in 3220 must be for the worse.
I'm on one of the latest 7.3
The SBC has been working ok since i got it, but with r3220 i got one freeze so far and one biod both required reboot to get out of.

But i got the biod after i initiated a wol from the sbc in the new albums menu (selecting an album) after the server was up (I see display on SB3 ).
The SBC was unable to find my server, without rebooting.

I never get problems after an normal "sleep" of the SBC.

So to reproduce you have to initiate wol, then fiddle with SBC while the server is booting, then it will be in a messed up state not able to connect to the server when it's up (try searching for music sources while your server is not there yet ) I only got this once I will try to reproduce this.

What loggs should i turn on ?

Some details:

Version: 7.3 - 23752 @ Fri Oct 31 03:00:09 PDT 2008
Hostname: hal.home.lan
Server IP Address: 192.168.1.5
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
Operating system: Red Hat - EN - utf8
Platform Architecture: i686-linux
Perl Version: 5.8.5 - i386-linux-thread-multi
MySQL Version: 4.1.20
Total Players Recognized: 2 (one SBR and one SB3 )

I got an Linksys WRT54GL with tomato firmware , the server is an clarkconect machine. all ip's on my net are fixed no dhcp server.
Yes even my SBR has fixed ip thanks to robins net-udap tool.

The last lines in server log was a bunch of these ? probably unrelated but who knows (ceratainly not me ):

[08-11-02 10:12:12.6258] Slim::Display::Display::string (783) Error: missing string
[08-11-02 10:12:12.6277] Slim::Display::Display::string (783) Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/Slim/Display/Display.pm line 783)
frame 1: Slim::Display::Display::string (/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/Slim/Player/Player.pm line 193)
frame 2: Slim::Player::Player::string (/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/Slim/Utils/Strings.pm line 429)
frame 3: Slim::Utils::Strings::clientString (/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/Slim/Menu/SystemInfo.pm line 379)
frame 4: Slim::Menu::SystemInfo::infoPlugins (/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/Slim/Menu/Base.pm line 171)
frame 5: (eval) (/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/Slim/Menu/Base.pm line 171)
frame 6: Slim::Menu::Base::addItem (/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/Slim/Menu/Base.pm line 142)
frame 7: Slim::Menu::Base::menu (/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/Slim/Web/Settings/Server/Status.pm line 33)
frame 8: Slim::Web::Settings::Server::Status::handler (/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 1180)
frame 9: Slim::Web::HTTP::generateHTTPResponse (/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 988)
frame 10: Slim::Web::HTTP::processURL (/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 799)
frame 11: Slim::Web::HTTP::processHTTP (/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/Slim/Networking/IO/Select.pm line 268)
frame 12: (eval) (/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/Slim/Networking/IO/Select.pm line 268)
frame 13: Slim::Networking::IO::Select::select (/usr/libexec/squeezecenter-server line 539)
frame 14: main::idle (/usr/libexec/squeezecenter-server line 484)
frame 15: main::main (/usr/libexec/squeezecenter-server line 1046)

OhPinchy
2008-11-02, 10:07
r3191 is now being pushed to 7.2.1 users, so I've removed the custom files I linked too in my last post. If you're using 7.2.1 your controller should already be updated to r3191, if not you can simply restart SqueezeCenter and that should push the update.

Pablolie, any update? Contact me in private if you prefer.

OhPinchy, yes 7.3 beta includes this fix.

Neo, care to try 7.2.1 and see if this fix helps you?

FordDonald, care to try 7.2.1? You're also seeing the blue icon issues? I take it you had issues with the custom.jive.version/bin, no big deal r3191 is being pushed to all 7.2.1 users now, just update to 7.2.1 and you'll get it.

Jmschnur, what Internet radio stream caused your receiver to turn itself off? I tested a number of slim picks with r3191 and they played just fine.

Tripleseven, what version of SqueezeCenter are you running, and could you please share some networking specifics?

Thanks Ross. When I click Software Update on my Controller, it now says 'reinstall version 7.2 r3191' and I've done that. On the SC web UI Settings page the version is "SqueezeCenter Version: 7.2.1 - 23630 @ Tue Oct 21 07:44:57 PDT 2008 - Windows Server 2003 - EN - cp1252" so it doesn't look like 7.3 beta has been pushed to me - how can I trigger the update?

epoch1970
2008-11-02, 16:49
I'd like to thanks Ross and all the people at Slimdevices who worked on this issue. For me the miracle firmware r3191 brings a tremendous step in usability.

jmschnur
2008-11-03, 11:08
"Jmschnur, what Internet radio stream caused your receiver to turn itself off? I tested a number of slim picks with r3191 and they played just fine."

WAMU- see above new duet seems to have fixed problem mostly-wamu still times out after several hours,

Joel

Ross L
2008-11-04, 17:52
How is everyone doing with r3191, anyone still seeing BIOD? (Blue Icon Of Doom)

pablolie
2008-11-04, 18:23

As an erstwhile, longtime BIOD sufferer... I upgraded my router to see if that would change things, and it did. Going from the Linksys WRT54GX4 with a WRT610 dual band, which was included as trouble free in the compatibility list that was shared in this thread, and wow, all my issues went away. The same Duet that was nearly RMA'd worked flawlessly.

Some weird stuff happened again when I upgraded to 7.2.1 and I had to re-install the Duet from scratch, but since things have gone utterly smooth again. And my Duet uses DHCP and standard faftory settings for everything, including the power stuff.

I know it is a hassle, but given that we all paid near $400 for our Duets, it seems getting a wireless router that is guaranteed to work is worth it. Worked for me, and I am finally learning to trust the Duet and enjoying it!

mannekung
2008-11-04, 22:53

As soon as there is a ReadyNas Pro release I'll give it a try. Really looking forward to it...

Any roadmap for a release of it?

jmschnur
2008-11-05, 07:48

Much better but still there sometimes- long waits to acquite receiver etc.

Mushroom_3
2008-11-05, 10:46

Mine is much better. Only 1 BIOD since the upgrade but still long time to re aquire server after sleep.

Ross L
2008-11-05, 14:35
Thank you for the feedback, please keep it coming! :-)

How many people noticed this bug while Squeeze Network was your source (not Squeeze Center)?

MrSinatra
2008-11-05, 14:43
i did.

i'll see if thats still an issue.

one thing i would like to see, is SN be quicker to adopt at least the same SBC fw that the newest release has.

Ross L
2008-11-05, 15:00
As soon as there is a ReadyNas Pro release I'll give it a try. Really looking forward to it...

Any roadmap for a release of it?

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9909

mannekung
2008-11-05, 15:03
Thank you Ross - I'm impressed by your commitment to provide the best service!

MrSinatra
2008-11-05, 20:48
tried SN earlier today, here's what happened:

went to SN, tuned into net radio, put sbc on cradle, waited about a half hour give or take, picked up the sbc, got the red icon.
in addition the sbc was very slow to react or scroll or do much. i tried to power down, and the sbc was stuck on "goodbye" and wouldn't turn off.

popped the battery, and then was able to "turn off" the SB.

needless to say, not pleasent. 7.3 r3253

ferraris
2008-11-06, 12:52
I upgraded the controller to 7.2 r3191 but I now get the red wireless icon after the controller's been to sleep rather than the blue one.

I'm using this with a Transporter, firmware 63 and SC 7.2.1 73496.

Simon

zoza69
2008-11-09, 09:42
Dear Ross,

I have paid good money for my Squeezebox duet and I have no desire to become a member of your team. I am not privileged to know what is DHCP, SSH, LAN etc. I don't know how to find the damn IP address in the router and frankly I do not care to learn. I have better things to do with my life.
Tell me why my Duet controller is freezing from time to time and provide a solution to fix the problem please. Escalate the issue within Logitech if it is beyond your competency level.

Thanks,

Z

ggultoprak
2008-11-10, 08:48
I'm having similar problems. In the mornings, cannot play anything continuously - the music starts then stops again after 5-6 seconds and I see a blue icon on the *RECEIVER* (going back and forth with white). The controller seems to be fine (at least from icon colour point of view). Then the blue icon stays in the receiver. Power-cycling the *RECEIVER* restores the operation.
I use whatever the firmware numbers provided by version 7.2.1.

Please help. Thanks.

amcluesent
2008-11-10, 11:51
>Please help.<

Your wi-fi is br0ken. Maybe dodgy firmware in the router, your Receiver is too far from the access point or you're getting interference from another access point/microwave oven/DECT phone/whatever.

ggultoprak
2008-11-10, 15:47
Your wi-fi is br0ken. Maybe dodgy firmware in the router, your Receiver is too far from the access point or you're getting interference from another access point/microwave oven/DECT phone/whatever.

Well, it's not :-) I have 10 different Wifi devices at home connected to same router.
Good try though. Thanks for your effort. Another suggestion?

mvalera
2008-11-12, 15:53
Dear Ross,

I have paid good money for my Squeezebox duet and I have no desire to become a member of your team. I am not privileged to know what is DHCP, SSH, LAN etc. I don't know how to find the damn IP address in the router and frankly I do not care to learn. I have better things to do with my life.
Tell me why my Duet controller is freezing from time to time and provide a solution to fix the problem please. Escalate the issue within Logitech if it is beyond your competency level.

Thanks,

Z

Hi Zoza,

This is not a support forum.

If you need somone to help you directly, please call or email support and they will be happy to give you the assistance you need.

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_tech.html

Mike

ggultoprak
2008-11-13, 13:15
I'm having similar problems. In the mornings, cannot play anything continuously - the music starts then stops again after 5-6 seconds and I see a blue icon on the *RECEIVER* (going back and forth with white). The controller seems to be fine (at least from icon colour point of view). Then the blue icon stays in the receiver. Power-cycling the *RECEIVER* restores the operation.
I use whatever the firmware numbers provided by version 7.2.1.

Please help. Thanks.

I tried to to bind a fixed IP to MAC of both receiver and controller in the router. That seems to have worked so far. No more permanent blues after long time idleness after two days of testing. Note that only duet requires this workaround.

Stevan
2008-11-18, 05:51
I too have been having BIOD problems on the SBC.

A while ago I turned off automatic rescanning of my music collection because someone on the forum mentioned it was a possible workaround for the BIOD. This solved the problem, but everytime I rescanned the music collection manually I was getting the BIOD again.

I updated the Squeezecenter software to version 7.2.1 and the SBC firmware to 7.2 r3191 and decided to give the auto update a try again. The result: BIOD. As long as I don't rescan the music collection everything is operating perfectly.

Squeezecenter is running on a QNAP TS 209 (version I). Both Receiver and controller have a dynamic IP-address (which has been the same address for months now) and are running in Hybrid mode. I will assign static IP-addresses to both SBC and SBR and report back here.

Ross L
2008-11-18, 12:36
Stevan,

Thanks for your feedback. Based on the QNAP being the source, it suggests you might actually be seeing bug 9004.

When the scan completes, is the Controller usable? Try waiting until the scan is complete, verify that it is done via web UI and on your Controller browse to music - artists, does the wireless icon turn white?

anra
2008-11-19, 11:21
Same happens for me.
Get the message "disconnected by remote host".
Power router off and reconnect SB - but it takes some minutes.
Need an easy solution too -thanks!

My ISP uses dynamic ip - is that a problem?
Rasmus

DLORDE
2008-11-19, 13:52
I get a Duet Controller problem where it just displays 'Please Wait...' after being picked up when sleeping. I find it is quicker to reboot it than wait for it to come back (and when it does come back it returns with a minimal menu that doesn't allow any music play).

Unless someone can suggest a fix for this, I'm seriously considering returning it and getting another SB3 instead.

casonbang
2008-11-20, 12:06
I get a Duet Controller problem where it just displays 'Please Wait...' after being picked up when sleeping. I find it is quicker to reboot it than wait for it to come back (and when it does come back it returns with a minimal menu that doesn't allow any music play).

This sounds similar to the issue that I'm having, except I don't get a Please Wait... my remote just doesn't come back on.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=54990

What router are you using?

wagstaff
2008-11-20, 20:13
I pre-ordered my Duet back in February, and I had been having similar problems with the BIOD up until today. My setup is as follows: SqueezeCenter 7.2.1 23630 running on Gentoo linux, SB3 and SBR both connected to wired ethernet, and a SBC connecting to a Linksys WRT54GS v1.0 running stock firmware 4.71.1. Network is G only, with WPA2 personal, AES+TKIP. I'm not sure when the problem started, as I usually leave the remote on the charger, but my frustrations came to a head yesterday. Whenever I did leave the remote off of the charger for long enough for it to go to sleep, the BIOD was nearly inevitable. If the remote did manage to reconnect, it was often a matter of minutes instead of seconds.

Since my router firmware was out of date, the first thing I tried was to update that to the latest and greatest stock version--4.71.4. This made little if any difference. Between this thread and the router compatibility list on the wiki, I saw at least one person who was having some success with a similar router running DD-WRT, so I decided to try that. I installed v24-VINT firmware on my router and configured it to assign static DHCP leases to all three devices. The controller seemed to connect more reliably, but now when I woke it up I would have a red icon (no network) for up to 20 seconds, followed by the blue icon for another period of time, usually less than a minute. No more spinner while the controller tried to connect to my server, but still sub-optimal to say the least.

After giving myself a day to test DD-WRT while at the same time reading reviews of various other firmwares that will run on my router, I decided to give Tomato a try, as several people said that it was faster to register new machines on a wireless network. I'm pleased to say that my experience was similar. After installing Tomato 1.22 and using a configuration identical to the one I used for DD-WRT, my controller now connects reliably and quickly when I wake it up. Connection times now average less than 10 seconds.

In short, I would recommend Tomato to anyone with a router that will run it. It seems to have solved my problems for the time being.

FredFredrickson
2008-11-21, 07:56

Unless someone can suggest a fix for this, I'm seriously considering returning it and getting another SB3 instead.

I recommend you wait for 7.3, I believe they're looking deeply into this issue to fix it.

Ross L
2008-11-21, 12:13
In short, I would recommend Tomato to anyone with a router that will run it. It seems to have solved my problems for the time being.

Thank you very much for sharing your excellent firmware testing notes. I will keep your analysis in mind for the future. Please try to remember to update us in a few weeks and let us know if anything has changed. :)

DLORDE
2008-11-21, 16:38
What router are you using?I'm using a Belkin F5D7632-4A modem-router. It's always been fine with the NAS's and SB3.

DLORDE
2008-11-21, 16:42
I recommend you wait for 7.3, I believe they're looking deeply into this issue to fix it.Yes, I'm prepared to give it every chance to be fixed - it's just that at the time it happens, it's so frustrating... here's a gadget with huge unrealised potential being let down by aggravating usability problems.

wagstaff
2008-11-22, 18:45
Thank you very much for sharing your excellent firmware testing notes. I will keep your analysis in mind for the future. Please try to remember to update us in a few weeks and let us know if anything has changed. :)

I might have spoken too soon. Although I get the BIOD less frequently, I still get it. My assessment from my last post is accurate the majority of the time, at least over the last 24 hours. How overwhelming of a majority, I'm not sure. I'll make a more detailed post later.

jmschnur
2008-11-23, 06:24
Yes, I'm prepared to give it every chance to be fixed - it's just that at the time it happens, it's so frustrating... here's a gadget with huge unrealised potential being let down by aggravating usability problems.

Using Hybrid mode the controller went a bit crazy last night. Reciever still played fine but the controller had no control of the receiver. Signal level of the controller was 2 bars.

This morining I brought the controller to my router and 1st reset squeezecenter.

Now all is back and I can use the controller again.

This is a bit tedious and the problems need to be fixed.

Joel

Stevan
2008-11-24, 08:51
Stevan,

Thanks for your feedback. Based on the QNAP being the source, it suggests you might actually be seeing bug 9004.

When the scan completes, is the Controller usable? Try waiting until the scan is complete, verify that it is done via web UI and on your Controller browse to music - artists, does the wireless icon turn white?

Hi Ross,

I tried the above steps and the icon does not turn white. In the web UI it says that the scan has finished, on the controller: blue icon, until I remove the battery and restart the controller.

Regards,

Stevan

P.S. Apologies for the late reaction.

Croz
2008-11-26, 08:45
Hi, Only had my Duet for four weeks and after suffering the slow response from sleep etc and the BIOD with the SBC I found this thread.

Since I have the latest SqueezeCenter, receiver and controller software and the wireless signal seems OK (ie all other things connected to it work without complaint), the only thing left was the Access Point firmware.

I upgraded the firmware from 1.01.05 to 1.01.11 and, despite the firmware release notes not mentioning anything about upgrading the wireless section, the change in behavior of the SBC was dramatic. The "now playing" display updates almost instantaneously as the song changes, no problems coming out of sleep or the BIOD.
So fingers crossed for the future!

My network setup is :
Ubuntu Linux Server 8.04LTS
Access Point Linksys WAG354 - Firmware Version 1.01.11 - Auto DHCP
Wireless - Mixed Mode - WPA/PS
SCC Software Version 7.2r3191

_OS_
2008-11-27, 14:42
I have had my Duet receiver+controller for more than six months now and have been running them in wlan mode without any problems (except that 48KHz/24bit flac files are skipping).

Last week I wired the receiver and did a factory reset on the controller and selected wired lan for the receiver. I played 48KHz/24bit flac files for several hours without any skipping. At bed time I turned the receiver off with the controller and the LED switched off as usual.

The next evening the LED was solid blue and the remote did not show any library etc. in the home menu. SC did not find any Squeezeboxes either.

I tried holding down the button on the receiver until it went red. Then the LED started flashing red slowly for many minutes and eventually I pulled out the power connector and connected it again while the controller was off. I then switched on the controller and could turn on the receiver and play music as usual.

This has happened with me every day since. I have to recycle the power on the receiver to be able to detect and control it. When I turn it off the LED goes off the solid blue after some time (I have not waited for it to go blue but it is more than 30 minutes but less than three hours).

I have also tried assigning a static IP address to the receiver but the problem does not go away.

I use SC 7.2.1

Thanks for reading.

Ole

ANZAC
2008-11-29, 12:02
[QUOTE=Ross L;341127]…. If you happen to reproduce this behaviour (red wireless icon after sleep) please check the DHCP client table within your router (often called LAN status or similar) and compare the IP address assigned to your Controller with the IP the controller. You can find the IP of the Controller by browsing to Settings -> Advanced -> Remote Login, when you enable SSH you will see a message at the bottom of the screen showing the Controllers IP address. QUOTE]

G’day,
Issues described 4 me, r as described many times here already, like: controller won’t reconnect on wake; now playing does not update (and some times on SqueezeCenter too); controller frequently needs to be turned off and on but not always successful; reboot router last case scenario and works 99% of time; other 1% is server and router and receiver reboot; frequently get the choose music source part of set up again and can't go further cause nothing showing to choose; delayed reactions too in either direction e.g. trying to adjust sound and nothing seems to happen when all on a sudden you are either deafened at full tilt or drowned in silence cause the buttons were held too long… slow blinking red lights, blue lights (and multicoloured ones but I think those are from my medication ;) And you can bet some or all of the above happens when I am trying to show the set up off to a potential future Squeeze user! Frustratingly the computer server can slow right down too coinciding with controller problems. Opening SC on the computer and the page always stalls with one object still to download. Push the stop button and a second later all is loaded? I think I now see the “please wait circle of dots” in my sleep?

Given my recent problems, as listed on a separate thread, it might be prudent to ask too what sort of firewall etc is in use? Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 (KIS9) for me (in addition to the hardware firewall) (and Kis9 took my whole music system out for nearly a day….) It might also be my meds, but it seems to me that if I shut down KIS9, my controller hiccups are less frequent?

Set up (and bear with this noob please), as follows:

Router: Be*Box (Thompson speed touch 780)
Firmware: 6.1.4.3
Software Variant: AJ
Boot Loader Version: 1.0.6
Product Code: 36035800
Board Name: BANT-R

Hybrid system Cat 5 Ethernet computer to router to receiver; all else wireless.

I run SqueezeCenter as a service

Receiver Firmware 48
IP Address Assignment: DHCP
IP Address: 192.168.1.66:
DHCP Lease Time: 0 days, 16:22:01
Always use the same address: Yes
Dynamic IP 3 Data ports (modified by user)
Modulation:G.992.3 Annex A

Broadcom NetXtreme 57XX gigabit controller Firmware 19/06/2008 10.85.0.0 (Allow to turn off to save power: no - but I have only just changed this setting)

controller firmware version 7.2..r3191
IP: 192.168.1.64

System info as follows:
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz 2793 MHz
Processors number: 2
BIOS: DELL - 7 Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A03 BIOS Date: 10/11/04
Total physical memory: 1022,092 Mb
Total virtual memory: 2047,896 Mb
Available physical memory: 1022,092 Mb
Available virtual memory: 2004,820 Mb
Microsoft Windozes XP Home Edition, 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

Interface Type: 802.11b/g; Actual Speed: 54 Mbps; Allow multicast from Broadband Network: Yes; WMM: enabled; Security Mode: WPA-PSK; WPA-PSK Encryption TKIP; WPA-PSK Version: WPA

@ Ross Levine would the information gathered by GetSystemInfo (and found here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=915&hl=GetSystemInfo )
be of use to you, if I could get it to you?

Finally all of this is over a new clean OS install?

And I can’t find the DHCP client table sorry?

Squeeze system playing up. Brand new Cowon 16Gb D2 MP3 player dead... where oh where have my happy tunes gone?

c23
2008-12-01, 11:28
please reply to this thread with your wireless router / access point model number and version, and firmware version. As well please share your wireless encryption settings, and DHCP status. Also please let us know if this is a "standard wireless" setup or bridged (Receiver connected via Ethernet), and finally the firmware version of the controller available in Settings -> Advanced -> About.

Specs:

Linksys WRT54G
Firmware Version: v1.00.6, Jan. 20, 2006
WEP 128 bits
Auto DHCP
standard wireless

controller firmware 7.2 r3191

NETGEAR ReadyNAS Duo with SqueezeCenter Version: 7.2 - 22900 @ Tue Aug 26 11:25:48 PDT 2008 - Netgear RAIDiator - EN - utf8

Issues:

- I can use squeezecenter from browser, both for internet radio and music at NAS
- controller does not find SB - it keeps "connecting" forever
- tried reboot, factory reset of controller.
- locates wifi network, connects to it, but would not find SB

thanks in advance, it is quite frustrating (specially yesterday when a friend came home and was all excited of the SB Duet and I could not be a good ambassador of it...)

ANZAC
2008-12-03, 07:34
G'day,

I did another factory reset of my controller and am very pleased to report, that my Duet is now performing flawlessly and has now being doing so for the past 38 hours... touch wood. Not seen an update appear on the controller yet?

Also my faulty 9-day old Cowon D2 player was replaced and the new one arrived “home” yesterday. I have updated the firmware and downloaded 30GB of tunes; I am still testing… going good and reaching for the wood again!

Have just taken delivery of 320 CDs… near on 1300 CDs now. eBay rocks. Why would anyone pay 75p for a track of compressed downloaded rubbish, when for 99p you can buy 60 CDs of uncompressed bliss?

ANZAC

jmschnur
2008-12-05, 12:14
Dec 3 7.3
Duet Hybrid.
Sleep worked but on wake now playing did not.
Truend off hten on -all was well
Joel

AndrewFG
2008-12-09, 11:23
I am using 7.3 (last weeks nightly) with a) a Receiver and b) a Transporter. When I Select Player (i.e. a different player than the current one) it hangs on "Connecting to Player" (wizzing dots). But if I leave it half an hour or so, then it seems to sort itself out.

The two players are hard wired to the server via Ethernet and the Controller connected via WiFi. No bridging truned on.

ANZAC
2008-12-10, 12:49
remember to post the stats asked for on post one/page one of this thread?

dmatth2
2008-12-16, 14:18
In a similar vein to the other issues, my Duet remote doesn't seem to fully recover when its been to sleep. The main symptom is the now playing item not being refreshed i.e. showing that the track has been playing for 20hrs etc. You can still control the music ie. change track and see playlists etc., but these changes are not shown on the screen.

The only solution seems to be a hard reboot (battery removal).

Had similar issues with prior versions of squeezecenter.

Might be my imagination but seems more prevalent if the remote is being charged. This is also the worst network location in the house - remote drops to SNR ratio of 19. Doesn't recover though when i move the remote to a better network location.

Network connection indicator is white. Connecting at 54mb/s with 58-60 SNR. WPA encryption

Software: 7.3, firmware 55 on the receiver, 7.3 r3476 on the remote
Receiver is connected via Ethernet as is the PC acting as the media server. Remote is connecting via Netgear WN834M Wireless router (f/w 1.4.23NA - latest ver). DHCP enabled on the router. Media PC has hard i/p address. Duet receiver and remote are getting i/p from DHCP. Not aware of any DHCP lease renewals occurring - receiver and remote have same i/p addresses they have always had.

Any help would be appreciated = my wife is rapidly running out of patience with the system!

Letten
2008-12-19, 04:47
Why is it that my Duet controller can't reconnect to SC after sleep/suspend (blue icon) when I can unplug the power to my Boom (wifi connected) move round the house plug it in and it will reconnect to SC without a problem.

It's strange because the controller should have the advantage of battery power during sleep/standby.

ANZAC
2008-12-20, 04:44
In a similar vein to the other issues, my Duet remote doesn't seem to fully recover when its been to sleep. The main symptom is the now playing item not being refreshed i.e. showing that the track has been playing for 20hrs etc. You can still control the music ie. change track and see playlists etc., but these changes are not shown on the screen.

The only solution seems to be a hard reboot (battery removal).

Had similar issues with prior versions of squeezecenter.

Might be my imagination but seems more prevalent if the remote is being charged. This is also the worst network location in the house - remote drops to SNR ratio of 19. Doesn't recover though when i move the remote to a better network location.

Network connection indicator is white. Connecting at 54mb/s with 58-60 SNR. WPA encryption

Software: 7.3, firmware 55 on the receiver, 7.3 r3476 on the remote
Receiver is connected via Ethernet as is the PC acting as the media server. Remote is connecting via Netgear WN834M Wireless router (f/w 1.4.23NA - latest ver). DHCP enabled on the router. Media PC has hard i/p address. Duet receiver and remote are getting i/p from DHCP. Not aware of any DHCP lease renewals occurring - receiver and remote have same i/p addresses they have always had.

Any help would be appreciated = my wife is rapidly running out of patience with the system!

A factory reset of my controller worked for me (and pacified the wife!!)good luck and
merry christmas to one and all

Evil_Edna
2008-12-27, 10:54
My controller randomly stops working. It won't switch back on and the only solution seems to be to take the battery out for a few hours and then recharge it again overnight. It's really annoying. This would be a excellent product if it worked but it doesn't so it aint.

gregg60
2008-12-28, 11:54
Controller version 7.3 r3476
WindowsXP with linksys N wireless router, direct connected to desktop PC

The controller loses connection with the server and I need to remove and replace battery to reconnect. I just downloaded V3 and have not had this problem in last 24 hours, but too soon to tell.

Seems that the connectivity for the remote is complex in that it is linking to the PC and the receivers in my house. Figure it is a Logitec bug that needs refinement.

100octane
2008-12-29, 08:54
Hi Ross,

My Duet has some problems when it was switched off or not on the next day to find the components.

So mostly the receiver seems to be not found. I can Ping the Receiver but it is not visible for the Squeezecenter nor the Controller.

Actually I have a DHCP entry on the Router (USRobotics USR8054 V1.67) for the IP address 192.168.123.100 but if I look at the SSH option on the Controller then it says the IP is 192.168.123.101 ?

Actually I do not have a red WLAN symbol, but often I do have this.
The controller is connected to the receiver and the receiver is connected by ethernet with two standard switches in between to the USR AP.

I have tested also with direct connection of the controller to the AP but there was no difference for me.

Everyday I have to reset the controller and receiver completly to be able to listen to music. Because the controller doesn't find the receiver anymore after a few hours of pause.

With kind regards

100octane

P.S: can I use a fix IP? would it be better then?

barrys49
2008-12-30, 15:09
Looks like this problem has been around for a while, I have only started getting the problem after firmware on controller was updated to v3478.

I get the 3 red bars on the network status. Most things still work as long as I don't switch music source.

It appears to power off OK. However will not power on again. Need to do a hard reset, (remove battery) Not easy when you have a disability and hands don't function correctly.

The controller has a static IP and is connected to a wireless access point.
I can ping the controller OK.
When I enable remote login, I do not get the IP address or message shown at the bottom of the screen. Unable to SSH to controller.
The controller is in the charge cradle when this occurs.
Is this a buggy Linux NIC driver problem?

Do slimdevices (logitech) suspect a buggy firmware version?

cmanley542
2008-12-30, 18:43
Count me in. Had everything working great last night, came home today and turned on the controller, couldn't find receiver, then Squeezebox couldn't find receiver, had to reset everything. Happens every single time the firmware updates.

barrys49
2008-12-30, 19:22
This is happening, regularly now. Not only when the firmware is updated. This is a great product when it works, unfortunately for one reason or another it is not what I would call a reliable product. I thought it was getting better until this started happening. Not something I would give to the wife at this stage.

100octane
2009-01-01, 13:28
Hi I have made some Pictures

96% and a red WLAN Symbol?

Controller direct next to the box and still a red symbol?

Please explain me this.

regards

100octane

I use a Bridge Configuration

Caad
2009-01-04, 08:53
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=57590

J-ohno
2009-01-04, 15:32
I have just discovered this extensive thread (and others) which all relate to problems with Duet connectivity. My SBC constantly loses the ability to control the SBR after an hour or so. It will then not connect again unless I do a factory reset of the SCR and enter my wireless security code again. Removing the battery does not solve the problem as the SBC seems to remember the wireless settings but cannot use them to access the SBR. My wireless network works fine for all the other devices that use it. The router is a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 and shows both the SBR and SBC as connected, always using the same IP addresses. The SBC also says it is connected but once it has lost the ability to control the SBR it cannot connect to SqueezeNetwork or to the computer running SqueezeCenter. When it is connected I can turn off the SBR and turn it back on using the menu command but after it has lost the SBR the option to turn it back on disappears. In addition to using the factory reset on the SBC I sometimes need to use the refresh button on the SBR as well to get it all working again. All totally unacceptable. I have recently upgraded SqueezeCentre to 7.3.1 and that has upgraded the firmware in the SBC. No MAC filtering. SSID is broadcast. Using Information on the SBC shows my player as Firmware 0 but that I think is erroneous. I have tried turning Wireless Power Saving off but that makes no difference. I have lodged a call with Tech Support and am waiting for a response. I have had the controller for many months and these or similar problems have been a constant problem. The latest release has not solved the problem and I have have spent far too many hours trying to get it to work. In my opinion the SBC is not of merchantable quality and a return under warranty is very likely in the near future.

J-ohno
2009-01-04, 16:46
Re previous post. The Buffalo router is running what I believe is latest firmware
Router shows
WHR-HP-G54 Ver.1.40 (1.0.37-1.08-1.04) 1.4
It is using DHCP to assign IPs in range 10 to 20 and SBR is using 10 and SBC is using 16. As far as I know these values have always been used.
I am using WEP security - I know it's not secure.

I can ping both SBR and SBC when I they won't connect.

Firmware is
SBR Information Model:receiver, Firmware:56, IP:81.107.80.249
SBC (info obtained from SN) 7.3 r3476

SC is 7.3.1

Letten
2009-01-05, 09:48
Have You tried to disable suspend as well?

jmschnur
2009-01-06, 14:07
I found that I had a corrupt SQC pid file in Documents and settings/ data/sqc/ cache folder that was never removed when I deleted SQC and reb ooted for a new veriosn. I renmared the folder corrupt and then installed 7.3.2. So far so good.

Joel

Ross L
2009-01-06, 17:47
Evil Edna, it sounds like something might be wrong with your Controller or charger, have you contacted support?

gregg60, any news?

100octane, we may need to open a bug for the USR8054, I'll see if I can get a hold of one and verify the bug. Have you tried the standard setup rather than bridged? Have you tried static IPs?

barrys49, which wireless access point are you using?

cmanley542, could you please share your wireless router model number? We've tested upgrades a lot and haven't been able to reproduce what you're seeing, the Controller always finds Receiver

Caad, what wireless router are you using?

J-ohno, please see http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8413

J-ohno
2009-01-07, 07:20
In response to Ross L

J-ohno, please see http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8413

The only thing common with this bug report seems to be that it was a Buffalo router. Got a reply from Tech support yesterday asking me to ring them. It would have been helpful to have listed opening hours. I rang this morning but the person I spoke to said he would escalate this. It seems even worse today and only lasted about an hour before losing the connection and then I had two unsuccessful attempts to get it going again. I re-booted the router this morning in the expectation that this was something I might have been asked to do by TS. What seems strange is that in the past it seemed to have no problem connecting each time from a factory reset but seems to be incapable of remembering the wireless network settings and re-connecting without a reset. I now have a 6 page Word document listing my efforts so far. I did notice that Netstumbler said the SBC and SBR were using Channel 6 but my router is set to Channel 5. Shouldn't the SBC and SBR switch to Channel 5 once they detect the Router channel and shouldn't they then remember this unless I tell them to look for something else? Every other bit of wireless kit seems to be able to connect without difficulty once setup. I can stream TV and internet radio to my wireless laptop and browse the web (and send messages like this one).

J-ohno
2009-01-07, 07:25
In response to Letten

Thanks for the suggestion to turn off Suspend, I will try it when I get it connected again. Presumably that would make the batteries go down faster.

The problem is that when I do a Factory Reset it would lose that setting as well as the Wireless Power Saving option which I have tried. I don't see why it shouldn't be able to connect from suspend mode.

rempedaal
2009-01-12, 05:14
Just bought the Duet a week ago, and loving it, had the Roku Soundbridge before, but this is waaaaaaaaay better.

Anyway, apart from all the greatness, I'm also having this strange issue. Whenever I go to bed, I turn off the Receiver, and then power down the controller. Usually the receiver turns itself back on in a few minutes and shows a blue icon. This happens regardless of whether any of my computers are on and running SC when I power it down, or whether it is connected to SN.

So, when it doesn't want to power down, and the blue light appears, then the next morning I will have trouble connecting: I turn on the controller, it will show it is connected to the wireless network (no BIOD), but it will say that it can't connect to the SB. It will only connect after I reset the SB with the button on the front. I always get it working after about 5 minutes, regardless of what I do or which music source I choose, which leads me to think that some background process on the controller is just not finished yet, and as soon as it is, it will connect. Strange, right? Once it works, it works flawlessly, although the battery life of my controller has never been more than about three or four hours, even if I hardly use it at all. I found a few tips about that battery life issue here on the forum, so I'll try those soon.

Here is the info you asked for in the first post:
Wireless router: Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Home Gateway, WAG200G
Firmware version router: 1.01.05
Wireless security: WPA2-personal
Encryption: AES
DHCP settings: lease time 24 hours.

Firmware: 7.3 r3476

Controller is in "standard wireless" setup.

KCJay
2009-01-12, 16:59
My problem is a little strange, at least to me. I have two older Squeezeboxes and 1 duet receiver/remote. I run the Duet receiver and one older SB wirelessly, while I run one of the older SB wired. I have had the Duet for more than a year and the older SB's several years and have never had any major problems before.

I updated to the latest upgrade a couple of weeks ago. Before I could operate the Duet, I had to go in the hospital for about a week; when I came back home and tried to operate the Duet, it would only find "Controller" as a player. The Duet receiver glows white and the other two older Squeezeboxes operate fine with the older remotes - the only item that does not work is the Duet remote itself. What can I do?

bucksfan
2009-01-14, 08:00
My Duet controller also has a red wifi sign sometimes after wake up. It stays red, but it is working normally..

This is my situation also. Red wireliess icon on controller but seems to work fine. ONly had this up and runnign for ~ 1 week and this has been happening within the last 3 days. Everything seems to work fine as it did right out-of-the box, but fishy none-the-less. Wireless laptop connection from same location as controller have worked 100% reliably for 1+ years.

I have wireless setup, 3Com router, and I will need to get back to you on firmware version since I am typing this from work, but I believe 7.3 r3476. No encryption as we live away from everyone and down a long drive. I have not had chance to peruse this entire thread to see recommendations or comments on this, but if you could summarize or point me in the direction of related comments, it would be much appreciated!

The other items I will have to investigate how to find out some of the other details requested.

Thanks!

rempedaal
2009-01-14, 08:54
@bucksfan

If I were you, I'd switch on your encryption anyway. It has a negligable effect on speed, in case you're worried about that. There are gangs or just plain annoying kids these days that drive around isolated areas in a car, with a laptop, to hack into unprotected networks to steal passwords, visa no's, personal documents, personal pictures, etc. They target rural areas especially, because they know these are the places where people often don't use wireless encryption. Chances are small that it would happen to you, but why take the chance when turning on encryption has no consequences for you? Use WPA, WEP is very easy to hack. Preferably WPA2, because there are more and more free tools that you can download that can hack WPA pretty quick as well.

bucksfan
2009-01-14, 10:10
@bucksfan

If I were you, I'd switch on your encryption anyway. It has a negligable effect on speed, in case you're worried about that. There are gangs or just plain annoying kids these days that drive around isolated areas in a car, with a laptop, to hack into unprotected networks to steal passwords, visa no's, personal documents, personal pictures, etc. They target rural areas especially, because they know these are the places where people often don't use wireless encryption. Chances are small that it would happen to you, but why take the chance when turning on encryption has no consequences for you? Use WPA, WEP is very easy to hack. Preferably WPA2, because there are more and more free tools that you can download that can hack WPA pretty quick as well.

Thanks for the tip. I will certainly look into that. I guess it never occurred to me that people would drive around trying that with so little assurance that I even have a wireless network or that there was anything to gain from taking the risk. I may have more general question on this subject later then.

1978per
2009-01-16, 02:57
My problem is annoying and very frequent.

If I shut off the controller and put it in the cradle, it will 9 out of 10 times lock/freeze when I turn it on. I press the power button and get the Logitech logo on the screen. Then nothing happens. It doesn't get further and I have to remove the battery. Usually 2-3 times before it starts up properly and connects to the network.

The setup works great when managing the playback through the computer or a random laptop.

Anyone have this problem? I have updated the firmware on the controller several times to see if that fixes it, but it doesn't.

Ross L
2009-01-16, 17:02
1978per, what firmware is on your Controller? Also could you please share your networking details?

1978per
2009-01-18, 15:57
1978per, what firmware is on your Controller? Also could you please share your networking details?

Controller firmware: 7.3 r3476

Squeezecenter status:
Version: 7.3.1 - 24372 @ Fri Dec 19 17:56:44 PST 2008
Hostname: bruker-28ddad99
Server IP Address: 192.168.1.136
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
Operating system: Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Platform Architecture: 586
Perl Version: 5.8.8 - MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt
Total Players Recognized: 1

Router is a Linksys WRT160N
Firmware (recently updated): v1.02.2
Mode: Mixed
Radio Band: Wide - 40MHz Channel
Wide Channel: 8
Standard Channel: 6
Security: WPA2 Personal
SSID Broadcast: Enabled

DHCP says "enabled", but at the top of the settings, DHCP is set to "automatic configuration - DHCP"
---
thanks alot for the reply :-).

Happened again today. The receiver was off, server was running. Turned on the controller and the logitech logo came on screen. Nothing happened for 10 minutes.

So I turned on the receiver from my laptop and then did the usual remove battery, wait a while, put it in and the controller started up ok and connected after 2-3 tries (remove battery etc).

bullethead
2009-01-18, 16:54
I had to hook up my older Squeezebox v3 (made in USA - might have something to do with the QA eh?) due to the fact that the receiver and controller don't connect to each other anymore. The controller sees the Squeezebox duet receiver but it doesn't connect. Hard reboots, power recycles and still nothing. I can't believe this is happening. Slimdevices could have gone the way of Wilson Audio or other great USA made brands, I know this is probably a firmware issue on the duet receiver because I had no problems using the older firmware (debian linux repositories), there's no way to go back to the older revision without a headache.

Bill Mac
2009-01-20, 05:36
I have had my Duet for several months and to be honest I am very frustrated with its operation. Everytime I use it I have to do a factory reset of the controller and receiver. If I am listening to music I pause it and place back in the charging cradle. When I pick it up to use it again (next day or several hours later) it will not connect.

I am running 7.2.1 FW and when I tried to update to 7.3.1 it would not take. I am to the point that I will most likely just sell it as it really is not worth the trouble. I am not very computer inclined which makes this whole process even worse.

Bill

Ross L
2009-01-20, 12:38
Bill Mac, can you please share details about your network? What router are you using and is the firmware up to date?

Bill Mac
2009-01-20, 16:39
Bill Mac, can you please share details about your network? What router are you using and is the firmware up to date?

Ross,

The router is a wired D-Link EBR-2310 I believe. I was on the phone several times today with Slimdevice support. They are excellent but I am totally frustrated with the Duet. It really should not be this difficult to operate. I bought the Duet to make music listening easier but in the process created quite a bit of frustration.

I could not get Squeeze Center 7.3.2 to load on my Internet Explorer browser. So the support agent suggested trying a different browser, Firefox. I did and it loaded but created other issues so I will pack it in and sell the Duet.

I can not thank Slimdevices Tech support enough as they have been great. But I feel that the Duet and its operating system is not ready for prime time IMO. Also the fact that I am not very computer gifted is an issue as well.

Bill

Bill Mac
2009-01-21, 07:06
Well I tryed loading 7.3.2 once more and after several resets it took! I have everything updated to 7.3.2 and all functions are working. I am able to access my ripped CDs and Rhapsody. I am hoping that the issue of needing a reset everytime I resume play is history as well.

While loading 7.3.2 I saw some weird things on my controller. I saw it asking about wireless connections such as Phoenix and several others. I do not have a wireless connection so could not understand why this was coming up. I also do not understand why 7.3.2 loaded today and it did not during multiple attempts yesterday.

I am glad I gave it one more attempt as I was ready to pack the Duet in its box. Patience is the key I guess which was most certainly tried with the Duet. So I guess my advice is do not give up!

Bill

milesbeverley
2009-01-21, 07:11
You can me to the list of unhappy users who are experiencing this problem of a dropped connection from the controller. My girlfriend has now refused to use the Duet as she has to turn it off, then turn on and maybe...just maybe it might connect.

It seems that many people are experiencing the same problem therefore it must be a bug with the software. Either that or Logitech should write a workaround to stop this happening. I have spent over a year trying to get the Duet working properly including simple things like playing .M4a files which seems to involve editing configuration files by hand. This isn't really an out-of-the-box consumer product which anyone non-technical can use.

A friend asked me two weeks ago if I would recommend the Duet. I couldn't! Too many issues still going on after more than a year of it's release. However I couldn't recommend an alternative product in that price range...

Anyway, enough of the rant. If anyone has a working solution to the dropped connectivity please post this again so I can convince my girlfriend (and myself) to start using this product properly on a daily basis.

Thanks.

1978per
2009-01-21, 07:19
Anyway, enough of the rant. If anyone has a working solution to the dropped connectivity please post this again so I can convince my girlfriend (and myself) to start using this product properly on a daily basis.

Thanks.

same situation here. My wife doesn't use the remote, but puts on her mac and access squeezecenter from there. The controller never works properly. A product definitely not worth the money even though it may be network issues on my end. It is not too consumer friendly.

Seeing how many who have the same problem, it seems to be pure luck if you get the setup to work properly without hickups.

MarkS
2009-01-21, 16:57
I must also add my total dissatisfaction with the Duet wireless handset. I am currently unable to get the Duet wireless handset to connect to my network/computer running Slimserver and containing my music. I have spent the evening pulling the battery as the unit gets into a loop or something and stays forever displaying a trying to connect message. Currently I am having to use my computer to control the black box to play my music. Todays events are the pinnacle of a multitude of such happenings since I purchased the Duet last spring. It would be fair to say that some serious corporate arse kicking is called for at Logitech to get this wholly unacceptable state of affairs sorted pronto.

I also own a customised Squeezebox of the older variety with a display and infra red handset, and find that this unit gives very little trouble compared to the Duet.

garym999
2009-01-23, 13:25
I have been suffering in silence for a number of months now. The controller is in my office and during the day I often hear it reboot for no apparent reason or just lock-up with a Black screen but the backlight and key leds lit. In this situation I have to remove the battery to restart it. Often as it restarts it will show the white logitech logo and hang there.

All of this can also happen during use. Other times it will be fine.

The Controller is used to control all of the players but mainly the SB3 & SBR

Boom, wireless 96 signal strength
SB3 wireless 91% signal strength
SBR wireless 88% signal strength. Manually configured
SqueezePlay PC clinet
Softsqueeze PC clinet
Controller wireless to Draytek 2820 router. Good wireless strength
Server updated regularly 7.3.3 r24731

I would like to see the controller details listed on the server information screen.

Ross L
2009-01-23, 13:30
We believe the reboot issue is resolved, Gary could you please try the latest nightly and let us know if you still see it?

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/latest/7.3/

MarkS, what router are you using?

garym999
2009-01-23, 13:49
Well it has happend on 24731 but I give 24736 a go and let you know. Thanks

Ross L
2009-01-23, 13:50
What controller firmware? We believe reboot issues to be resolved r3856 and later.

garym999
2009-01-23, 14:10
SBC is r3856 as it was on the previous build. Anyway now updated to 24736 so will monitor

The router is a Draytek 2820 FW 3.2.2 RC1
Wireless is set to Mixed 11b+11g+11n
Hidden SSID
Encryption WPA/WPA2PSK (SBC using WPA2-PSK)
SNR: 30
SBC on fixed IP

garym999
2009-01-23, 14:55
So 40 mins later with SBC in lounge but not being used I see it reboot for no apparent reason?

Ross L
2009-01-23, 15:01
Any chance you could send me a log Gary? If you have an SD card, just create a directory called log on it and put it in Controller, once you've reproduced this if you could email it to me that would be very helpful. Ross AT slimdevices DOT com

Ross L
2009-01-23, 15:02
Or just attach it to this bug:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10296

jrichardson
2009-01-23, 15:35
So 40 mins later with SBC in lounge but not being used I see it reboot for no apparent reason?

Was the controller in the Cradle
Was it out of the Cradle
- what is the Battery Level at the time of the Reboot?
Are you connected to SqueezeCenter 7.3.3
Are you connected to SqueezeNetwork
What player is your Controller attached to?

garym999
2009-01-23, 16:45
Did not take to long then? This time black screen with white logitech logo at which point it hung.

Log submitted to bug as requested

garym999
2009-01-23, 16:52
- In this instance it was out of the charger but it spends most of the time in there where I see the same behaviour
- Given the time, battery level, I guess at 90% or more.
- As per previous posts just upgraded to latest build 7.3.3 r 24736
- Not SN but server
- SBC connected to SBR as it is most of the time.

MarkS
2009-01-23, 17:22
MarkS, what router are you using?

Netgear DG834PN.

clickbox
2009-01-28, 00:46

my controller or box disappear after power off or sleep, they disapper from the player list of Squeezenetwork. Did you find a solution already? Or, we are just bumping heads against the wall? I am using D-link wirelss router, DI-524, and rely on reset to keep this Duet thing working all the time.

clickbox
2009-01-28, 00:59

it seems that the squeeze network keeps kicking my added player off its memory. maybe the problem is originated from the squeezenetwork itself in stead of our router?

KaptainKanada
2009-01-29, 22:38
Hi

Thanks for this forum post, because I thought I was losing my mind. Logitech was very helpful and replaced my system after I called technical support on the issue of continuously losing my connection and ability to play music over the Duet. However I am finding that the new Duet seems to have the same behaviour.

I have a wireless router (Linksys BEFW11S4) and working on a 2.4 GHz 802.11b. I too find that when I leave the controller in the cradle after a while the music goes silent. I am often in another room and just assume that it is the streaming audio buffering.

I find that if I catch the controller soon after the internet radio station goes quiet and press play again the station buffers the music and starts playing again. On the other hand, if I let the controller sit for a while before attending to it (in cradle or sitting out) the controller "searches for a network and invariably does not find it. I have found that turning off the controller and turning it back on seems to help... although it is a little frustrating.

I have seen reference in the posts to "bridged" when referring to the network. Could someone please confirm the meaning of this term?

Thanks,
Kapt Kanada

chenrikson
2009-01-30, 07:26
"Bridged" is the situation where you are using the player to receive Wi-Fi commands from the controller -- which are then transmitted to the router/computer. "Hybrid" is where the player is hard wired to the router while the controller communicates wirelessly thru the router. For some reason, the "bridged" mode seems the choice of last resort tho I'm not really sure why.

KaptainKanada
2009-02-01, 10:38
"Bridged" is the situation where you are using the player to receive Wi-Fi commands from the controller -- which are then transmitted to the router/computer. "Hybrid" is where the player is hard wired to the router while the controller communicates wirelessly thru the router. For some reason, the "bridged" mode seems the choice of last resort tho I'm not really sure why.

Thank you for that... I have since upgraded my Router to Linksys 802.11G (WRT54G2) but the stability is no better.

One thing I did notice thought was that the Squeeze Centre was always starting up with my Windows Vista. I changed the Squeeze Centre options to not start up with windows, so the only music service available is SqueezeNetwork. I thought perhaps being a new user I was getting SqueezeNetwork and SqueezeCentre confused and perhaps popping from one to the other... so I eliminated the SqueezeCentre from my equation.

I am not sure that it did much good, but I seem to have been able to listen to music for the last bit. Last night I had to unplug the receiver and restart again... and after a bit I had connectivity again. I do not think that it is distance from the router, because other devices (PC laptop) have no issues with connectivity - i.e. strong signal.

I notice now however that none of the internet radio stations except Radio IO stations seem to connect... they all give a timeout. Am I missing something?

:confused:

rempedaal
2009-02-01, 16:30
KK, for troubleshooting, you can check the strength of the wi-fi signal either on your remote or in squeezecenter (on your computer). If you want to check it on your remote, go to Settings>Advanced>Information. Then select your squeezebox receiver, and it will show you, amongst other things, the Wireless Signal strength. If it's good, then at least you can rule out that as a cause of your problems. Best of luck!

bill zelinka
2009-02-06, 09:45
I Had Same Problem One Thing To Try Is Ck Router That Channel Is Set To Chennal With Best Signal . Also Ck If Firewall Is On In Router . Last Make Sure Your Music Lib. Is Complete And Synced .bill

mannekung
2009-02-07, 05:35
Hi!
Had this problem for a long time - tried two different routers but no change. First I had a Belkin vision N1 and then I bought a Linksys WRT54G2.

When I finally changed to a Linksys WRT 610N all problems went away, have not seen the BIOD in about three months now (not one single time since the change). Before I changed I had it almost every day (with both routers).

In other words - this entire problem is due to incompatibilities with most Linksys routers (and some others too).

1978per
2009-02-10, 10:40
I have a linksys wrt160n with newest
firmware (v1.02.2) and
squeezecenter Version: 7.3.2 - 24695
controller firmware: 7.3 r3993

Never connects after it has been put in the cradle/charger for the night. Have to remove the batteries several times and every 2nd or 3rd time I have to factory reset the controller. If I don't the controller can't connect to the computer running squeezecenter.

Very often when I turn on the controller and it doesn't connect to the network or squeezebox, I can't even turn it off. The on/off button does not work and neither does the "turn off" in the menu.

Anyone found a solution to a similar problem.

deal
2009-02-10, 22:08
Just wanted to add my experience to the mix here.

I too have had trouble with the Controller re-connecting to SqueezeCenter (on my NAS) sometimes (frequently = several times in an evening). Sometimes after it has been asleep, I'll navigate to the albums collection to select another one to play and in one of the steps in the selection process, it will bring up the "connecting to NAS" message....and I'll have to wait until it connects to continue. Sometimes that's a couple seconds, but more often it's about a minute to longer than 3 minutes. Then I just put it down and go do something else and come back to try again later. Usually after trying again, it will connect. But occasionally, it won't connect even then, and I have to remove the battery and put it back to get it to reconnect.

Another issue I've seen is how slooooow the controller is to communicate with SqueezeCenter. BTW, I didn't mention, but I'm not using a PC to run SqueezeCenter, but the ReadyNAS NV+ from Netgear. Not sure why the controller should be so slow to communicate -- that is, long delays between button pushes when navigating the menus-- since I don't have that kind of behavior from other network apps. Its noteworthy that I get the same unpredictable slowness when I use SqueezePlay on my PC -- it behaves just like the controller. Whereas menu navigation on the Transporter is not slow, but usually quick.

The only pattern I've seen to *know* when navigating with the Controller will be slow is if SqueezeCenter is doing a rescan, or if I'm doing any kind of file manipulation (copying,moving, deleting) on the NAS. So I typically avoid that when I'm playing music; even so, it is still occasionally inexplicably slow.

It really takes a lot out of the experience to always be fiddling with the technology to make it work when all you want to do is put on some music to listen to. Although I can appreciate all the work that goes into making it all work--thanks developers!--(I'm an IT professional), and I don't want to criticize anyone's efforts, in my experience, the controller/software combination is not very robust. Though when it works, its really nice.

Although its no fault of Logitech's/Slim Devices, in addition to these issues, the ReadyNAS NV+ is just barely capable of keeping up with the demands that "normal" use of SqueezeCenter place upon it. There's no way I'm gonna put movies on the thing now although I originally planned to. And it wasn't a cheap device. All in all, the total package -- Duet, SqueezeCenter, NAS -- makes for a lackluster experience that is disappointing.

My hardware:
ReadyNAS NV+, 1GB RAM, about 25% of 1 TB used
Router: Initially Netgear WGT624, recently switched to WNR3500, although I've seen no change in behavior as a result.
-Duet
-Transporter
-Boom
SqueezeCenter 7.3.3

David

KaptainKanada
2009-02-16, 12:16
This issue seems to be prevalent and the methods of solution are varied and in what appear to be random order and combination. I have seen everything from factory reset, to shutting the controller down, to resetting the transmitter to seek the controller/network, to removing the battery from the controller.

Would it be possible to have a troubleshooting guide that stipulated:
1) a recommended order of trouble-shooting actions
2) a suggestion on the order of steps to recover a connection

I seem to be able to recover the connection between my controller and the squeezebox but what appears to work one time does not the next. Is there a recommended order of steps of is it just "catch as catch can"? Being new to the technology I am unsure how each of my actions are stabilizing or destabilizing the controller/player interconnection.

wilduet
2009-02-19, 09:50
I keep having connection problems with my SqueezeBox Duet. In various fora I found some hints to avoid this. For now I have:
- updated my networkcarddriver (v10.66.4.3) for my Marvell Yukon card on Asus P5WD2-E Premium motherboard;
- updated the firmware for my Belkin N1 Vision router (firmware v1.00.15);
- changed the channel for my wireless network to a not used channel by other nearby networks;
- measured the wireless signal on the location of the receiver with Network Stumbler (value -57 which means signal strength of 92 dB and this is an excellent signal).
- my controller has the latest firmware 7.3r3993.

And still I had a loss of connection today: after 24 hours of playing I changed the album to play, it starts with the first song, and all at once it stops and says “busy buffering” and after 10 secs “buffering didn’t workout”. The receiver showed a white led.

I stopped the controller, waited 30 sec, started the controller and got a very short menu (musicsource, musicsystem). I looked in musicsource and there my networkname was chosen. In musicsource I saw the Squeezebox and the controller. I choose Squeezebox and it keeps trying to connect to Squeezebox. The receiver still showed a white led, so there was a connection.

I turned off the controller, waited 30 secs, turned it back on. Still a very short menu. Receiver still showed a white led. Now I choose the controller as musicsystem and got a larger menu, with the musiccollection as well. I choose a song and it played via the speaker from the controller. Back to main-menu and there was no option to choose a musicsystem, so I could not get back to my Squeezebox.

Then I looked in SqueezeCenter, and there only the controller was available as musicsystem. I stopped and restarted SqueezeCenter, no difference to see. Restarted my computer and resetted my router, no difference to see.
Inside my router (display) I can see that the receiver is connected, but there is no way that I can select it anywhere.

So I disconnected the receiver, waited 1 minute, reconnected to mains. I saw all kinds off colours in the led, but it stopped at blue. Restarted the controller and had the choice musicsystem in the menu back. I choose the Squeezebox and then I had to choose the musicsource. I choose the PC in my network. In display “Busy connecting to NAME NETWORK” and after 10 secs “Your Squeezebox isn’t able to connect to your wireless network. Be sure that the device is within reach of your wireless network”. Choose to try again, same error.

I disconnected the receiver from my stereoset and mains and placed it close to my router. There I reconnected mains and led gets no further then blue. Then I choose as musicsystem SqueezeNetwork and had instant connection with the receiver. But when I looked in musicsource I couldn’t see my network.

Turned off the controller again, and restarted SqueezeCenter. There I had now 2 choices in MusicSystem: Squeezebox and SqueezeNetwork. I choose for Squeezebox and then got the choice “You’re now connected to SqueezeNetwork. Change to Squeezebox?” and I choose Yes.
After 1 minute just the choice Squeezebox was available in SqueezeCenter, so I choose that. The led on the receiver stayed white. Then I turned on the controller again, and I had back the full menu again. Started a song, and I stopped the song after 30 secs.

Then I turned off the controller and stopped SqueezeCenter. Replaced the receiver in the other room besides the stereoset, and reconnected to it and to mains. Receiver’s led stayed blue. Restarted SqueezeCenter and there was the Squeezebox back again. The receiver’s led came back to white. Restarted the controller and I had my full menu back again.

What I cannot understand: that I cannot connect to my Squeezebox receiver while the receiver has a white led....suppose to mean that it's connected to my network and musicsource....

music man
2009-02-21, 11:11
Since i have updated to the latest firmware i have problems. When i switch media pc off, then place controller in dock. On restart i cannot connect to my pc on controller or squeeze network. If i turn off controller it will not switch back on unless i take the batteries out. That usually solves the problem but on the controller the wireless icon is red but still works.

This is the first time i have had problems since buying this, will have to go back to an early version of software and firmware this is doing my head in now. Will wait a few more weeks to see if it gets resolved.

Running on Vista 32bit

Briain
2009-02-23, 04:56
Hi All

I've been posting in the 3993 sticky but should really have been posting here as it's a related issue. It seems that the network continuously drops out. The Duet Rx (which I’ve tried hybrid and bridged) plays only a few seconds then empties its buffer. This is shown on a popup on the Controller (assuming the controller reconnects, which it usually does after about 5 seconds) but in any case, the system is now totally unusable. If you try to delete the current playlist it almost always drops the wireless connection (and doesn’t actually delete the playlist) but again it usually reconnects after a few seconds.

It worked fine until I was forced to have the 3993 Jive and since then, no matter what I've tried (different routers, NAS's etc) I simply can't get it to function as it did before (I last used it 3 weeks ago so I'm not sure which firmware it had prior tp 3993).

I tried disabling the automatic updates in SC then loading 3476 from a SD card but guess what, every time I select the room unit (the Duet RX) it tries to force an update; the only way I can access the menu is to accept the 3993 update. I'm also just of the phone to a friend who's system is broken and I've now a long drive to try installing the previous SC on his NAS; I'm not a happy chap!

I really don't mind these issues with beta releases - that's to be expected and part of the fun for experimenters like myself - but this was a forced update on an official release of a commercial product that people are using in their homes and that is simply not acceptable! Where are the Logitech support/comments/timescales/anything please? People's systems are broken; they want to know what, if anything is being done about it.

Bri

NB Could we SSH into the controller and stop it checking for updates? Does anyone know the code (and it's location) to comment out in Jive? Could Logitech write a line which enables the Controller to be configured to not update (then we can find a previous Jive which works and SD it into the Controller).

Ross L
2009-02-23, 18:22
NB Could we SSH into the controller and stop it checking for updates? Does anyone know the code (and it's location) to comment out in Jive? Could Logitech write a line which enables the Controller to be configured to not update (then we can find a previous Jive which works and SD it into the Controller).

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Custom.jive.version

judkins
2009-02-24, 09:45
Hi,
I have my squeezebox since 6 months and am having connection issues ever since. The duet is connected via a WLAN accespoint (Netgear WG602 or TP-Link WA6016)The duet looses connection over night (in and outside of charger) or sometimes randomly. Either a red signal or blue signal appears. Sometimes it gets fixed shutting the controller down and restarting, sometimes unplugging the AP works, sometimes i need to disconnect the receiver, once it only worked when I rebootet my router (even though it was not connected to it via WLAN). Occasionally nothing works and the next day everything is OK. I have recently upgraded the firmware, but results have not changed, it still does not work properly. I would really appreciate any help here.

frank_from_hh
2009-02-26, 13:26
I have a SB3 and the controller (r3993). Usually everything is fine. Except for regular blue icons on the controller and the inability to use it until I switch it off and on again. Hence, I have the same problem as many others. At least in my network I know how trigger and how to avoid the error.

Today I figured out something VERY strange: The controller shows a blue icon, that means it cannot connect to squeezecenter. BUT my router does not show it in the list of connected devices and I am unable to ping it. Hence, the controller is NOT connected to my wireless and it should show a red icon! To me it looks like the controller would under certain circumstances loose network and does not recognize! Since it does not know it lost network, it searches for squeezecenter but of course will not find it and shows a blue icon.

Since I can trigger the error, I should be able to test whatever ideas you have and I can produce whatever log you want me to.

Cheers
Frank

Ross L
2009-02-26, 13:47
Frank, Judkins, please share your networking details.

frank_from_hh
2009-02-26, 14:32
I use a Netgear 614L running dd-wrt (newest svn built, but problem showed up with all previous versions). The router is set as repeater, but serves its own virtual wifi on a different ssid to which the SB3 and the controller connect. Whenever I switch on the other router the controller would loose connection. I think this is because for a short period my Netgear switches off the wifi. The problems also show up if I have everything running and then switch the Netgear off and on, or do anything else which would cause a short wifi break. Carrying the controller out off range does not work, because in this case the controller recognizes that the network is unreachable. Hence, it nicely reconnects when its back in range.

frank_from_hh
2009-02-27, 03:47
Some more speculation on my problem: could it be, that the DHCP lease expires, but the controller does not recognize?

Edit:
I just learned something which might be connected with this:
In dd-wrt one should switch on DHCP Authoritative. I know, I did not do this and will try it in the evening when I am back home.

So, why do I believe this could be related to the controller problem? I speculated about old DHCP leases which are stored by the controller, but which are for whatever reason not anymore accepted by the router (see above). Usually dd-wrt (and I think several other implementations of DHCP servers) would just ignore these leases and do nothing. Hence, the client cannot connect. But if you switch on authoritative mode, the DHCP server will tell the client to forget the old lease and to request a new one. That sounds exactly like what I want!

garym999
2009-02-27, 05:13
Don't think DHCP has anything to do with it as I run my controller on a fixed address. DHCP leases are normally valid for 1-3 days so the controller should pickup the same address when it restarts.

We are all beating ourselves up over our WLANs yet presumably other kit is working fine. I my case multiple laptops, SB3, Boom, SBR, Remote control's, etc.

I see this as being the controller issue.

frank_from_hh
2009-02-27, 05:31
Do you set the static IP in the controller setup, or do you use static IP assigning in your router setup? The first should rule out DHCP since it is not used, isn't it? The second (what I use) still requires DHCP leases and I am not sure if they are really always the same just by assigning the same IP to a certain MAC. In any case, I will try what I speculated about later this day and then report my findings.

garym999
2009-02-27, 06:09
The static IP has to be setup on the controller itself and yes you are right removes anything to do with DHCP. Tieing the IP to the MAC address is known as DHCP reservation and the controller still has to negotiate with the DHCP server (router in most cases) to validate the address.

judkins
2009-02-27, 08:07
Frank, Judkins, please share your networking details.

I use the newest firmware of the controller, but happened with the two previous ones as well,
I use WEP encryption, DHCP, standard wireless

frank_from_hh
2009-02-27, 11:40
Hmmm, it did not work...so we have to find new ideas...

frank_from_hh
2009-02-27, 13:19
May be somebody is interested in some logs. I copied /var/log/messages from the controller before I triggered the error and afterwards. In between I had to force the controller to reconnect by first letting it forget the wireless network and then reconnecting to it. Hence, I did not restart the controller. Attached you will find /var/log/messages after the error. I put in a line marking when it lost connection.

OppfinnarJocke
2009-03-01, 03:41
I see this as being the controller issue.

Yes, I definitively think this is a controller issue, not a network problem.

I use mainly SN and when my SBC misbehaves I have no problems managing the stream from SNs web interface running on my laptop. The laptop and the SBR are rock stable connection wise, only the SBC has issues.

Sometimes the SBC refuses to connect to SN, but getting the stream going from the laptop will suddenly make the SBC tag along. Then certain things (such as Favorites) are not accessible from the SBC, whereas other things (changing the volume, pause, etc) do work.

At other times, the SBC suddenly shows blue wireless icon, but again, managing the stream from the laptop is no problem. In those cases I have to reboot the SBC to get it functional.

SBC SW malfunctioning, that's what it is...

emilevdw
2009-03-01, 04:07
ALso I am the victim of a new direction...selling my lovely old squeezebox Classic and buying the latest DUET..It's like going 2 steps forewards and 4 steps back...

The same problem here...After wake-up, the famous blue signal, no connection!
Also I must say that the wireless power is less then the classic one.

I hope soon there will be an update because listening to music is what it is about and not solving the problems of a GRAP product!

frank_from_hh
2009-03-02, 01:40
I perfectly agree that it's a controller software problem. I only try to figure out which part of the software. To make this clear: I have almost no other problem with the controller, than the damn blue icon (I say "almost" since with the previous firmware I had a few reboots and with r3993 the controller sometimes shortly hangs, but these issues are (almost) irrelevant). I know that in the forum many people complain about many problems, but I would be happy if the controller would correctly handle network connections.

And I would also like to point out, that in the forum I did not find another entry saying that the blue icon is due to failing network connection. It is always considered to be a failing connection to the server when having the network connection established. Did anyone else try to figure this out in his/her setup? I guess most people trust the color of the icon, as I did before...

OppfinnarJocke: Do you really have to reboot the controller, when it shows the blue icon? Have you ever tried to reconfigure the network settings? For me this helps, but it is of course a lot more complicated ;-)

emilevdw: Why did you sell your old classic? I have the Squeezebox3 since quite some time and just bought the controller in addition. Hence, I can still use the IR remote.

OppfinnarJocke
2009-03-02, 10:41
OppfinnarJocke: Do you really have to reboot the controller, when it shows the blue icon? Have you ever tried to reconfigure the network settings? For me this helps, but it is of course a lot more complicated ;-)

Well... I haven't tried reconfiguring, no. When the blue icon is on, the SBC claims to see the network and it has the correct static IP-address. The streaming is manageable from the laptop, so the connection to the SBR is ok. The only thing I've tried is rebooting the SBC.

Reconfiguring... how, do you mean?
Fixed IP on the SBC?

frank_from_hh
2009-03-02, 11:44
If you go to Settings/Advanced/Wireless Network you can click on the network you are connected to. It will then tell you some statistics and allows you to forget the network. That means it will forget all settings for this network and you will have to re-configure it (first, you have to go one menu layer back and then let the controller search for wireless networks to see your network again). If I do this, my controller will correctly connect to my network and works fine. Hence, for me this has the same effect as switching it off and on again.

To clarify, my controller is always (also with blue icon) telling me that it is connected to the network and it shows me the correct IP address, signal strength,... But when the blue icon comes up, it is NOT connected anymore to the network. This I know definitely, because my router tells me this.

BTW, my SB3 is totally unaffected by the controller errors, I can always use my PC or the IR remote to control it.

OppfinnarJocke
2009-03-02, 13:03
If you go to Settings/Advanced/Wireless Network you can click on the network you are connected to. It will then tell you some statistics and allows you to forget the network. That means it will forget all settings for this network and you will have to re-configure it (first, you have to go one menu layer back and then let the controller search for wireless networks to see your network again). If I do this, my controller will correctly connect to my network and works fine. Hence, for me this has the same effect as switching it off and on again.

To clarify, my controller is always (also with blue icon) telling me that it is connected to the network and it shows me the correct IP address, signal strength,... But when the blue icon comes up, it is NOT connected anymore to the network. This I know definitely, because my router tells me this.

BTW, my SB3 is totally unaffected by the controller errors, I can always use my PC or the IR remote to control it.

I see... "Forget Network", didn't think of that. It would seem to serve the purpose of "Repair Network Connection" available (but hardly ever used) on the laptop. Thanks.

EDIT: BTW "re-conbfigure" means entering WEP key?

frank_from_hh
2009-03-02, 14:34
Unfortunately, reconfiguration includes reentering the WEP/WPA key. "Forget Network" lets the controller really forget everything.

temppatch
2009-03-02, 19:00
[QUOTE=Ross L;341127]
If you see this please reply to this thread with your wireless router / access point model number and version, and firmware version. As well please share your wireless encryption settings, and DHCP status. Also please let us know if this is a "standard wireless" setup or bridged (Receiver connected via Ethernet), and finally the firmware version of the controller available in Settings -> Advanced -> About.
QUOTE]

I bought my Duet 1 1/2 months ago. I performed a standard set up and I experienced this behavior the first week. I set a static IP address on the controller using the suggestions from this thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=57994&referrerid=24516. It has worked great ever since using both SqueezeCenter and SqueezeNetwork.

Router: Actiontec MI424-WR Rev.C (Verizon FIOS)
Firmware version: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.3
Wireless encryption: originally WEP 64bit
DHCP status: enabled
This is a standard wireless setup
Firmware version of the controller: 7.3 r3993

I had trouble with frequent rebuffering when streaming from my SqueezeCenter pc. The pc was connected wirelessly with wireless b and the Duet with wireless g. I upgraded the wireless to g on the pc and the encryption to WPA-PSK. I had to reset the controller to get it to reprogram the receiver to recognize the new encryption. All works fine now.

frank_from_hh
2009-03-03, 13:50
Just for curiosity I tried the following when my controller showed the blue icon: I carried it so far from the router that the signal strength would be definitely low enough to lose connection (BTW the strength indication on the controller would still show full strength). After a few second the icon went red and I waited a few seconds longer. Then I took it back to the router, the controller recognized the availability of the network and connected correctly. Now it works again.

What does this tell us? All the controller needs is a correct network reconnection to get rid of the blue icon. Or to put it other words: Under certain circumstances the controller fails to recognize that it lost network connection.

In my network setup I know what this "certain circumstance" is: the router re-initializes wireless and throws out all clients. This is done within a few seconds and, hence, might be too fast for the controller to recognize the unavailability of the network. I am sure, if it would take longer the controller would switch to red icon and later re-connect correctly (but this is of course speculation)

jmschnur
2009-03-06, 15:14
After 4 weeks of perfection on 7.3.2 a sleep led to real problem. Findally uninstalled 7.3.2 in favour of 7.3.3 and now all is working (for the moment).

Joel

Mnyb
2009-03-06, 23:53
[QUOTE=Ross L;341127]
QUOTE]

I bought my Duet 1 1/2 months ago. I performed a standard set up and I experienced this behavior the first week. I set a static IP address on the controller using the suggestions from this thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=57994&referrerid=24516. It has worked great ever since using both SqueezeCenter and SqueezeNetwork.

Router: Actiontec MI424-WR Rev.C (Verizon FIOS)
Firmware version: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.3
Wireless encryption: originally WEP 64bit
DHCP status: enabled
This is a standard wireless setup
Firmware version of the controller: 7.3 r3993

I had trouble with frequent rebuffering when streaming from my SqueezeCenter pc. The pc was connected wirelessly with wireless b and the Duet with wireless g. I upgraded the wireless to g on the pc and the encryption to WPA-PSK. I had to reset the controller to get it to reprogram the receiver to recognize the new encryption. All works fine now.

Ok it's so on mixed b and g net it reverts to b speeds id b clients are present which is not very good, and it does so for all wireless clients even the g ones? G mode only is the way to go, you did right to upgrade.

However you may still have issues you have chosen to use two wireless hops ?
From PC to wifi-router and from wifi-router to squeezebox, this doubles the needed bandwith. This can be ok if you only stream mp3 and have only one player. Test your streaming with inbuilt network test in squeecenter.
Double wifi hops on a b network must have been useless :)

And of course if you use this PC for other things like downloading from the net over the wifi then you get problems.

It's considered god practice to wire the SqueezeCenter PC/Mac/whatever to the router especially if stream lossles files and/or have multiple players

temppatch
2009-03-09, 20:27
Thanks for the advice, Mnyb.

I will wire the pc to the router in the near future. I only have one player now. I will hopefully have two more. With one player and two hops I am streaming FLAC and Music from Pandora through the pc well. I only use it for SqueezeCenter when listening to music. I must have thin walls ;-)

mmartino
2009-03-14, 10:34
I have been experiencing this problem for quite some time now and it is really frustrating. I actually use the SqueezeNetwork web site to control the receiver most of the time because the controller is so unreliable! Needless to say I am glad to see this thread and am hopeful that there may be a resolution in the near future.

Here's the info on my setup:

Router Brand/Model: Linksys WRT310N
Router Firmware Ver: v1.0.07-LS-HND (most current at time of post)
Wireless Config: WPA, Mixed B/G/N, MAC filtering disabled
DHCP is enabled on the router

Duet Receiver is connected via wired Ethernet
Duet Receiver Firmware Ver: 58

Duet Controller Firmware Ver: 7.3 r3993

As an aside, I have found that pulling the battery out and putting it back in to "hard reset" the controller usually resolves the problem...until it falls asleep again.

mmartino
2009-03-14, 11:02
FYI - I updated both my controller and receiver to use static IPs and things appear to be working better. I haven't been testing it long since the change, but I can see an improvement already.

This would lead me to believe that the issue is related to the DHCP implementation on the controller.

mmartino
2009-03-21, 14:36
FYI - I updated both my controller and receiver to use static IPs and things appear to be working better. I haven't been testing it long since the change, but I can see an improvement already.

This would lead me to believe that the issue is related to the DHCP implementation on the controller.

The controller was working better for an hour or so, but it continued to act up the rest of the day. I have gone back to using my iPhone to connect to the Squeezenetwork web site to control the receiver. Lame!

Has anyone had success with any other solutions?

garym999
2009-03-22, 02:12
I have looked at a whole raft of network config's for the SBC. All other SB hardware seems to work reliably on whatever Ethernet medium is provided, wired, wireless, powerline.

The SBC on the otherhand is a frustrating character at the moment. It does seem to have problems with DHCP but the wireless connection and the DHCP server also have their part to play. I have been running with fixed IP addresses to elimiate the possibliity of issues caused by DHCP but still I get lockup and reboots.

I have also tried alsorts of SC builds and Jive FWs, nothing fixes it yet.

Looks like the iPhone or iPod Touch is the way to go

Moonbase
2009-03-22, 10:04
Config: Standard wireless, Windows/XP+SP3, currently at SC 7.4-25624, SBC r4824. Using 10-day DHCP leases, supplied by AVM Fritz!Box 7050 (a popular Internet Router with phone functionality here in Germany, an Arm-based Linux machine).

No "Reconnect after Controller sleeping" issues here. My Controller usually lies around the whole day somewhere in my living room, kitchen, or office, and on the bedside table at night.

The wakeup time ("Please waiiiiiiiiiit") seems quite long, though. I’m an impatient man. :-)

The only "red icon" issues arise when SC has crashed or the connection is lost due to network problems. Only then a SBC restart is needed, which often doesn’t succeed due to it hanging at the "Goodbye" screen. (Needs battery removal in this case.)

Briain
2009-04-05, 11:20
Hi

I installed the latest Draytek beta firmware (B123108a) and it was still playing up (I had reverted to SC 7.2). I then tried the current release of 7.3.2 but keeping Jive 3191 and firmware 58 and it now seems to all work very well. I've not extensively tested it but it's now showing cover art whilst playing, it's playing whole track (as opposed to 10 seconds then stopping) and I can skip through tracks ect. I can also see the playlist (with covers) and can delete the playlist.

It seems that I have found a combination of things that work, but it'll take more time and testing to assess its robustness; so far though, it's the best it's been for months so it's looking good.

Bri

NB All clients set to use DHCP and MAC~IP bindings (not strict).

tlt068
2009-04-07, 12:26
After waking up my controller from sleep mode (especially when the music source ist squeezenetwork). The indication "...connecting to xyz player" forever or "...connecting to squeezenetwork" forever. It won't reconnect to the network until I switch it of and on again. The network sign remains blue. All other devices work fwithout any problems.

This is annoying me so much, that I will sell the squeezebox duet if ever this problem cannot be solved.

My configuration:
- squeezebox receiver (firmware version 58)
- squeezebox controller (Jive/7.3 r3993)
- squeezebox 2/3 (firmware version 123)
- squeezebox boom (firmware version 43)

all devices are communicating via WLAN through:
- wireless router Netgear DG834PNB (firmware version V1.03.29)
+ dynamic IP adresses from ISP
+ WPA-PSK access key

Can anybody help me to solve this problem

MikeMcr
2009-04-11, 13:29
The only "red icon" issues arise when SC has crashed or the connection is lost due to network problems. Only then a SBC restart is needed, which often doesn’t succeed due to it hanging at the "Goodbye" screen. (Needs battery removal in this case.)
This exact same "red icon", hang on shutdown issue is still occurring with the very latest nightly firmware, r5225.

kjc20002007
2009-04-12, 02:00
I have had a Duet for about 6 months, and although it has its problems I would still like to think they will be fixed one day.

I suffered wireless connection issues between my 2 squeeze boxes and the controller - I solved these by using a dLAN duo using the ring main as a network - these seem to work very well if anyone else is having this sort of issue.

My main gripe now is the controller constantly drops the network connection, or when it sees the network, it cannot see the Qnap server.

When things work, it is one of the best gadgets around, but my wife is getting fedup with me spending saturday mornings trying to ge the controller to connect.
firm ware is 7.2r3191

if anyone has any ideas...

thanks

Keith

Steve R___
2009-04-16, 11:40
Hi

I have just bought a Squeezebox Duet. I am running an all wireless installation and I had no trouble connecting the controller and receiver and getting internet radio to work at up to 192kb/S via Squeezenetwork. The receiver reports a signal strength of 52%. I am however getting issues with the controller which is in the same room. I have only had the duet two days and I have had several instances of the controller connectivity indicator going red and one of it going blue both when woken after a sleep. When it is red, indicating no network connectivity, it will sometimes still control the player i.e. start/stop play. If I go to settings advanced and press set wireless networks the controller hangs. The one time it went blue symptoms were the same. On all occasions removing and replacing the battery fixes the problem very quickly and the wireless settings are remembered so I dont have to select the wireless network or enter the encryption key.

My wireless router is a Netgear WNR2000 set to "up to 145Mb/S" mode. I am not using MAC address filtering and security is set to WPA2-PSK. I am using dynamic IP address allocation and the router is the DHCP server. The router, controller and receiver are all flashed to the latest firmware (V1.2.0.8., Jive/7.3 r3993, 60) I have not installed Squeezecentre on my PC which is running XP Professional service pack 3.

I have raised this issue as question #090415-003318 with support.

Steve

garym999
2009-04-20, 14:42
Well my Duet is now fixed, I think. Placed a call with logitech and they swapped the Duet handset out and now it seems to behaving. I has not rebooted or lost a connection for 4 days now.

frank_from_hh
2009-04-21, 00:58
So, you want to tell us, that all our problems with the SBC are hardware and not software??????????

garym999
2009-04-21, 06:30
I'm my case Yes!

I jumped through alsorts of hoops only to find things getting worse not better. Enough was enough so I placed a fault call, got a new handset and it's working. Have upgraded from the released SW to the nightlys and still working.

frank_from_hh
2009-04-21, 08:02
It would be nice if somebody from Logitech could comment on this, e.g. Ross L who started the thread. Are there any other SBC users which could solve the reconnection problem by getting a new controller?

sherritp
2009-04-22, 16:32
I've read through about pages 1-5 and 20-22 of this forum, so I'm still working under the impression we're reporting connection issues here.

I've been running a SB Duet for 6 months. My problem is that when I pick up the duet remote (after the system being paused for 10+ hours) I cannot connect to the receiver.

I'm running 7.3 r3993 and saw the problem before my (recent) update to this version.

I have a Linksys WRT160n. Things work great most of the time. I only lose the connection after a long period of 'paused' operation.

The typical scenario is to be playing a Rhapsody channel. To stop playing, I'll press the Pause button on the remote. The next day I'll pick up the remote, see the 'now playing' album art, but I cannot resume.

I've always assumed that the remote was losing the connection as I was able to correct the issue by turning off the remote and turning it back on (press/hold the home/power key). When the remote returned, it would successfully connect.

Today I saw something odd that I can't explain if the receiver is 'lost.' I pressed a button (either the play arrow or home) and was returned to the list of Rhapsody channels. I scrolled a bit, and chose a new channel and pressed the Play button (not the center 'select' button). The receiver started playing, but the channel was off by one. I was surprised that the receiver responded at all since my experience has been that until I reset/reboot the remote I'm not able to do anything successfully.

In starting to look into these issues, I was able to successfully ping both the receiver and remote, but I may have reset my router in looking up the IP addresses on the router's side.

Both receiver and remote now have MAC/IP assigned.

How does the remote communicate to the receiver? Is there a possibility that the TCP connection gets trashed by the router as the router cleans out old connections? Is there a heartbeat that gets sent to keep the connection alive?

I appreciate any thoughts on the matter. If I know what to do, I'll happily perform some diagnostics to pinpoint the problem.

Tim
(I'm a software manager, so I hope I can properly post a problem!!)

Ross L
2009-04-23, 15:37
Tim,

We've made a few improvements to Controller in our latest firmware I'd like you to try out.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.3

Just install this in place of your current version of Squeeze Center and you'll be updated to the firmware that I think might help.

Viragored
2009-09-23, 22:34
I see this thread is now somewhat old, and I haven't the stamina now to read it all, but before finding this thread I had started a new thread in the Duet forum here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=460863#post460863

Briefly, I'm a newbie, knew only a little (but a lot more now) about computers and IP addresses, but was disappointed that my newly bought controller stopped working overnight before breakfast on day three. After searching the forums I wondered if reserving the Controller's IP address in the router would fix the problem so I figured out how to do that.

It's early yet, but I'll aim to update my thread with news in a few days.

I'm using a hybrid set-up (Squeezebox on ethernet; Controller on wireless; Vista PC running SqueezeCenter on ethernet), requested details as follows.

Router = D-Link DSL-G604T
Current Firmware Version : V3.00B01T01.TX.20070517
Encryption = WEP with 64-bit key
DHCP (was) enabled
DHCP lease time of 3600 seconds

At the time of the problem on day two DHCP was fully enabled in the router, with a lease time of 3600 seconds, and DNS automatic. (Since changed to reserve the IP addresses for the four devices I have on the router, but with DHCP still enabled for other devices that may come along).

The Controller firmware (updated on day one!) is 7.3r6038

Hope that helps, Dave

Viragored
2009-09-23, 22:50
I found this (now somewhat old) thread after starting a new one - http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=460863#post460863

Briefly, my controller stopped working on day three, and I wonder if fixing its IP address in my router will stop it happening again. I'll post an update in a few days. The requested details are:

Router = D-Link DSL-G604T
Firmware Version : V3.00B01T01.TX.20070517
WEP encryption, 64-bit key
DHCP enabled (at time of problem)
DHCP lease period 3600 seconds
[Now I have reserve the IP addresses for the four devices on my router]

This is a hybrid set-up (Vista PC running SqueezeCenter using ethernet; Squeezebox connected via ethernet; Controller using wireless network; another PC connected via ethernet but not in the Squeezebox set-up)

Controller firmware (updated on day 1!) is 7.3 r6038

I didn't spot the colour of the wireless network indicator when I got the problem, but I did notice that the Controller was now on a different IP address, presumably assigned by the router some time after day one.

Hope that helps, Dave