PDA

View Full Version : Audio quality compared to z-4i

fe1iix
2008-09-16, 12:25
I have one question regarding the sound quality of the build-in speakers of the squeezebox boom. Currently I have installed Logitech Z-4i directly connected to my pc. I can not decide whether I should still use my Z-4i and add a squeezebox classic or to replace it with a squeezebox boom completely. Which audio quality can I expect compared to a Logitech z-4i? It would be great if anyone could share his experience..

seanadams
2008-09-16, 12:34
The Z-4i has a 8" sub so there's no contest for bass power/extension, and has separate left and right speakers so you can have as much stereo separation as you want. But they are really apples and oranges. If you're just considering sound clarity and accuracy, Boom wins, and if you hook a sub to your Boom it should beat just about any conventional desktop speakers on all counts except perhaps stereo separation. I haven't actually listened to the Z-4i, but these are reasonable predictions given physical limits and such.

fe1iix
2008-09-16, 12:53
Thank you very much for your fast reply. The fact, that I can improve the audio quality with the help of the sb boom (possibly adding a subwoofer) will definitely simplify my decision. The size of the sb boom speakers seem to be underevaluated.

I will check this, if amazon.de is able to provide more than 5 squeezeboxes which were sold out after a short while as it happend today..

morsejeff
2008-10-29, 13:01
The Z-4i has a 8" sub so there's no contest for bass power/extension, and has separate left and right speakers so you can have as much stereo separation as you want. But they are really apples and oranges. If you're just considering sound clarity and accuracy, Boom wins, and if you hook a sub to your Boom it should beat just about any conventional desktop speakers on all counts except perhaps stereo separation. I haven't actually listened to the Z-4i, but these are reasonable predictions given physical limits and such.

Having just purchased the Boom (arrived yesterday) I agree with Sean's assessment regarding stereo separation. I think that's the Achilles heel of this unit and it has me questioning whether I should return it and just get another SB Classic or try adding some powered speakers. To me the Boom's sound seems to be very directional because the speakers are attached. Tonight I'm going to trying hooking it up to my main HT sub though and see what kind of difference that makes.