PDA

View Full Version : Can anything be a "favorite"?

perstromgren
2008-09-16, 00:00
I really like the feature of hitting and hold a number button to listen to a favorite radio station! Can I use this feature to store something else, like:

- playing all my jazz tracks on my SqueezeCenter stored music randomly?
- playing a "station" in Last FM? (I have set up last FM, which runs fine)

And while I'm at it, can anyone comment my other thread question on why there are tow sets of favorites?

Per.

davep
2008-09-16, 04:17
I really like the feature of hitting and hold a number button to listen to a favorite radio station! Can I use this feature to store something else, like:

- playing all my jazz tracks on my SqueezeCenter stored music randomly?

And while I'm at it, can anyone comment my other thread question on why there are tow sets of favorites?

Per.
For the "all my jazz" configuration, assuming you have all such music tagged as Jazz in the Genre tag then you can go into the left hand side of SC and navigate to the Jazz item under genres. When you hover on "Jazz" you'll see some icons to the right, one of which is a heart. Click on this and you'll be adding all of your Jazz genre tracks as a favourite. But, unless you have shuffle by track already set for your player, it won't play as a random selection. AFAIK the shuffle setting cannot be stored along with a favourite, so if you or anybody else has changed it to By Album, or Don't Shuffle, then you won't get quite what you wanted.

davep

perstromgren
2008-09-16, 04:47
For the "all my jazz" configuration, assuming you have all such music tagged as Jazz in the Genre tag then you can go into the left hand side of SC and navigate to the Jazz item under genres. When you hover on "Jazz" you'll see some icons to the right, one of which is a heart. Click on this and you'll be adding all of your Jazz genre tracks as a favourite.

Thanks, that was what I'm after! Yes, I should have said "my music tagged as 'jazz'".

But, unless you have shuffle by track already set for your player, it won't play as a random selection. AFAIK the shuffle setting cannot be stored along with a favourite, so if you or anybody else has changed it to By Album, or Don't Shuffle, then you won't get quite what you wanted.

davep

OK. If I do play the favourite as stored above, will the "random play" button on the remote work as intended, i.e. randomly play from all the tagged tracks? I don't, as far as I know, have set any flags about shuffle anywhere.

Per.

davep
2008-09-16, 05:20
OK. If I do play the favourite as stored above, will the "random play" button on the remote work as intended, i.e. randomly play from all the tagged tracks? I don't, as far as I know, have set any flags about shuffle anywhere.

Per.

As far as I recall there is no "Random" button on the remote, but there is one marked "Shuffle" That's the one I was referring to when I said you may need to adjust the shuffle settings if they are not already set for "Shuffle By Song". And yes, it will "randomize" the current playlist which, if you have done what you suggested, will be a list of all of your Genre=Jazz tracks - which in my case would be a list of 7,403 tracks, many of which I would prefer to be prepared for before hearing :-)

davep

kc5f
2008-09-16, 10:55
If it works the same as SBC, I'd say yes. I can start a "station" in last.fm and then save it to Favorites and it saves the seed information.

perstromgren
2008-09-17, 00:24
If it works the same as SBC, I'd say yes. I can start a "station" in last.fm and then save it to Favorites and it saves the seed information.

Thanks! I will try it, of course, as soon as I get the chance!

perstromgren
2008-09-22, 11:31
Thanks! I will try it, of course, as soon as I get the chance!

I do not understand how I do that, I'm afraid!

The "Favourite" tool seems to be needing an URL. If I look up the playlist I want, and click the heart symbol, indeed ther will be an extra menu item in the favourites list, but can't be recognizable at all. Where can I see which playlist it is?

Could any kind soul walk me through this, using the SC web interface? Exactly how do I save a playlist into a numbered favourite?

Sorry for the silly question, but I have read the documentation.

Per.