PDA

View Full Version : why can't logitech hire someone who can get SC running as a service?

pski
2008-09-15, 19:12
See the fine title.

pski
2008-09-15, 19:17
See the fine title.

I'm tired of having to RDP and signon to get it started.

I tried the "feature" in 7.2. (Like I tried the other versions'.)

Apparently the credentials you supply don't apply to the MySQL part. Or something else isn't kosher.

Anybody who get's this working... I'd appreciate some help.

CatBus
2008-09-15, 19:32
It's been working here for every version since 6.5, including 7.2. Can you provide some more details about your setup?

pski
2008-09-15, 19:40
It's been working here for every version since 6.5, including 7.2. Can you provide some more details about your setup?

I provide my usual user name and password.

Of course, I am an administrator.

The service does not start and when I login the icon is flashing in the tray.

I tried computer/manage/services and selected the user after "advanced and find and users."

This was also to no avail even after a restart.

Thus, it has NOT been working.

Thanks for your help.

P

Vista Business upgrade from XP Pro

CatBus
2008-09-15, 19:48
Ahh, sorry. I'm working with Linux here but I have some non-SqueezeCenter Vista experience that may be applicable.

Why aren't you running the service with the Local System account (this should be the default)? Do you need a specific set of credentials to access your library?

pski
2008-09-15, 19:53
Ahh, sorry. I'm working with Linux here but I have some non-SqueezeCenter Vista experience that may be applicable.

Why aren't you running the service with the Local System account (this should be the default)? Do you need a specific set of credentials to access your library?

The options are :

run sc when I log in or
start sc when the system starts (requires user name and password.)

so sorry I can't paste a screen image..

maybe someone can help.

P

this is 7.2 for windoz
don't see any library access fields

CatBus
2008-09-15, 20:05
Wow, that's an interesting choice (and not in a good way).

You may already know this, but when UAC is enabled, even when you're logged in as an admin, you don't actually have admin access until you go through this "elevation" process (typically via a UAC prompt). If you're trying to run the SqueezeCenter service as an admin account, it may actually be running as a non-elevated admin, which actually has no special privileges at all.

So for testing purposes, you could disable UAC (Control Panel/Admin Tasks/Local Security Policy...uhh, I forget...and disable the policy that says "Run all administrators in admin approval mode". If it suddenly works, you have your answer--SqueezeCenter and UAC don't get along. Which is too bad, because I'm one of those freaks who thinks UAC isn't all bad.

Anyway, try it out and see.

pski
2008-09-15, 20:13
Wow, that's an interesting choice (and not in a good way).

You may already know this, but when UAC is enabled, even when you're logged in as an admin, you don't actually have admin access until you go through this "elevation" process (typically via a UAC prompt). If you're trying to run the SqueezeCenter service as an admin account, it may actually be running as a non-elevated admin, which actually has no special privileges at all.

So for testing purposes, you could disable UAC (Control Panel/Admin Tasks/Local Security Policy...uhh, I forget...and disable the policy that says "Run all administrators in admin approval mode". If it suddenly works, you have your answer--SqueezeCenter and UAC don't get along. Which is too bad, because I'm one of those freaks who thinks UAC isn't all bad.

Anyway, try it out and see.

UAC is off. Any other ideas?

Maybe someone can help?

damager
2008-09-15, 20:21
Running on Windows Home Server here and it starts itself everytime the server reboots.

pski
2008-09-15, 20:28
Running on Windows Home Server here and it starts itself everytime the server reboots.

Lucky you are.

JJZolx
2008-09-15, 20:43
Do you know what's failing when it tries to start? Do you have any Windows Event log entries? Is there anything being written to the SqueezeCenter log file?

When you remote desktop into the server, will it then allow you start the service or are you running it as a user program?

The problem most people run into is with anti-virus programs.

pski
2008-09-15, 20:55
Do you know what's failing when it tries to start? Do you have any Windows Event log entries? Is there anything being written to the SqueezeCenter log file?

When you remote desktop into the server, will it then allow you start the service or are you running it as a user program?

So I should choose: music or AV?

How do I view the SC log file?

If I knew what was failing I wouldn't have to type here.

As a former MS sysadmin I am well aware of logging.

Logged on to the SC machine, the server will not start.

pski
2008-09-15, 21:03

Have you done Yellowjackets? Four Corners?

CatBus
2008-09-15, 21:08

No, you should just be able to exempt certain filetypes from AV scanning. *.MYI and *.MYD I believe. Certain firewall software has been known to interfere as well. You could disable it temporarily to see the impact.

JJZolx
2008-09-15, 21:16

Huh? In reference to what?

How do I view the SC log file?

Someone else may have to help out here. I'm not running on Vista, so I don't know exactly where the server log is located on that platform. There should be a file called 'server.log' created somewhere. Try looking under C:\ProgramData, which I believe is a hidden folder.

If I knew what was failing I wouldn't have to type here.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I might know what was failing but not how to fix it.

mherger
2008-09-15, 23:27
> run sc when I log in or
> start sc when the system starts (requires user name and password.)

It doesn't require credentials, and it doesn't say so neither, does it?
You can _optionally_ enter them if you like, but it's not required.

Michael

peter
2008-09-15, 23:38
pski wrote:
> See the fine title.
>

The other forum readers must be saints to bother to reply to a post like
this.
Wouldn't a Microsoft forum be the best place to whine?

Regards,
Peter

JJZolx
2008-09-16, 00:00
> run sc when I log in or
> start sc when the system starts (requires user name and password.)

It doesn't require credentials, and it doesn't say so neither, does it?
You can _optionally_ enter them if you like, but it's not required.

I just went through the service installer (aka the 'SqueezeCenter Startup options', aka the 'SqueezeCenter Service Enabler'). Here's the wording:

"You need to enter your Windows user name and password so SqueezeCenter can access your user library."

That certainly appears to be saying that it's required, not optional. Only if you completely ignore these instructions (not something that most people will do) and press 'Next' might you realize that it's optional. And then you'll get the very ominous warning:

"If you don't enter your user name and password, SqueezeCenter will run as an "anonymous" system user and you many not have access to your music library. Do you want to continue to run as an anonymous user?"

There's little doubt by the way it works that the majority of people will believe that credentials are _required_, and that's been expressed time and again in these forums ever since this was released.

In any case, if the OP has entered correct credentials then it likely has nothing to do with his problems.

SadGamerGeek
2008-09-16, 00:44
pski wrote:
> See the fine title.
>

The other forum readers must be saints to bother to reply to a post like
this.

Indeed.

I can understand that people get frustrated when something isn't working, but surely people must understand that the manner in which one asks for help is going to greatly effect the amount/quality of help that you receive.....

mherger
2008-09-16, 01:01
> "You need to enter your Windows user name and password so SqueezeCenter
> can access your user library."

Without running the wizard (only looking at the code...) I missed that
one. Too strong wording indeed.

> That certainly appears to be saying that it's required, not optional.

Agreed.

Michael

Nonreality
2008-09-16, 02:03
Why run it as a service instead of a login? Just wondering. I use Spicefly's loader for SC and MusicIp to load it in the right order and it has always worked perfect. If you use musicip you might want to give it a try.

CatBus
2008-09-16, 08:11
Why run it as a service instead of a login? Just wondering. I use Spicefly's loader for SC and MusicIp to load it in the right order and it has always worked perfect. If you use musicip you might want to give it a try.

By the sound of the OP, he (like me) has SC running on a headless server off in a closet somewhere. Having to log in to launch SC is much more of a pain than having it "just work".

bobkoure
2008-09-16, 08:22
It sounds like part of the problem is it being unclear that leaving user-name and password empty when setting up SC to run as a service uses the local service account.
It would be really nice if there was a simple line of text that said something to this effect on that setup panel. And even nicer if there was a link in that sentence that explained that you then would not have access to your itunes library or to the networked devices you can see as a user.
I got bit by the no-explanation, and went through the gyrations of creating a specific "user" with appropriate rights.

Anti-virus: I got bit by this one too. It turns out that some Symantec products don't uninstall completely and the one I'd had running previously wanted to "protect" me from my mysql database. Required a format/reinstall. No more Symantec anything for me...

Speebs
2008-09-22, 19:27
Does the service run if you start it manually? For someone who works with computers, you aren't giving anyone much to work with.

Mine runs fine as a service on XP when set up for user ".\administrator" with the local admin password. It also works on 2003 Standard. I'm not sure where the ".\" came from (I didn't put it there) but I guess you could try adding it.

ModelCitizen
2008-09-22, 21:03
Ummm. I know what I am doing with the service bit and username and passwords but for some reason that's beyond me the exact same version of SC 7.2 will not run as a service on my laptop, but will on my main PC. Both machines are XP Pro.

As my laptop is only used as a back up server I've not been very bothered to find out what the problem is, but will attempt to if someone can ask me the right questions.

I have had this problem with an earlier version of SC on the laptop but it seemed to cure itself (the incident is recorded on the forum somewhere, with Michael Herger helping to problem solve it). However the fresh installation of 7.2 brought the problem back again.

MC

JJZolx
2008-09-22, 21:11
Does the service run if you start it manually? For someone who works with computers, you aren't giving anyone much to work with.

Mine runs fine as a service on XP when set up for user ".\administrator" with the local admin password. It also works on 2003 Standard. I'm not sure where the ".\" came from (I didn't put it there) but I guess you could try adding it.

Jeebus, you shouldn't need to run it under the Administrator account to get it to work. That's fairly dangerous to be running a service under an Administrator account. The SC service should run just fine under the standard 'Local System' account. And it works if you run it under an account of a local or domain user. It should also work if you run it under an account you create exclusively for the SC service.

There are some situations where it becomes necessary to run the service under a user account instead using the Local System account. That's part of the reason the service installer emphasizes the username and password entry. It's needed to access a specific user's iTunes and MusicIP libraries. It may also be needed (I've had mixed results using Local System) if all or part of your music library is located on another computer.

(The '.\' in the account name designates the computer itself, so '.\Administrator' means the local Administrator account instead of a domain Administrator.)