PDA

View Full Version : Alarm didn't work second time in one week!

verypsb
2008-09-14, 23:03
Hi,

I'm having real problems with the alarm. It isn't very stable. I've set my Squeezebox Boom alarm to use a radiostation via Squeezenetwork. It looks like the alarm has been triggered at the right time, but there's no sound. You can see on the display that the alarm has been triggered, you can see the track it's supposed to be playing, but it's stopped. What's worse it doesn't fallback to another sound, if it refuses to play the radiostation. This way it's quite useless as an alarm clock.

Best regards,
Dennis.

max.spicer
2008-09-15, 05:16
I'm having real problems with the alarm. It isn't very stable. I've set my Squeezebox Boom alarm to use a radiostation via Squeezenetwork. It looks like the alarm has been triggered at the right time, but there's no sound. You can see on the display that the alarm has been triggered, you can see the track it's supposed to be playing, but it's stopped. What's worse it doesn't fallback to another sound, if it refuses to play the radiostation. This way it's quite useless as an alarm clock.

The alarm should fall back to some random tracks after 20 seconds if it sees that nothing is playing. It sounds like for some reason it does think that its playing, despite the fact that no sound is coming out. What does the display show when the alarm has gone off? Does it appear stopped, or does the elapsed time increase?

Max

verypsb
2008-09-15, 06:10
It looks like the alarm is stopped.

max.spicer
2008-09-15, 07:08
It looks like the alarm is stopped.

Ah, I know what's happening here. This is a bug with the alarm's fallback behaviour when you're connected to SN and your alarm fails. I'm afraid that for now you'll just have to pick a more reliable sound for your alarm. There should hopefully be a fix in 7.2.1.

Sorry about that, but thanks for the report!

Max

hussein
2008-09-15, 08:40
This sounds like the problem I am having with my Boom except mine occurs very much more often (my alarm has worked once in six days) and also occurs if you try to listen to any Internet Radio or load up any music through SqueezeCenter.

When your alarm fails, are you able to play music without rebooting the Boom?

Please report if you're having any of the other problems that I am.

verypsb
2008-09-15, 12:27
I need to set the Boom to standby and power on to get music playing.

Nonreality
2008-09-16, 02:12
Does the SB3 now have the same fallback if it loses internet connection for the alarms? I haven't checked out the new alarm features and was wondering if it applies to all the products or only the boom? I've used the alarm a lot on my SB3 but always have a small battery powered backup clock to make sure.

max.spicer
2008-09-16, 03:52
Does the SB3 now have the same fallback if it loses internet connection for the alarms? I haven't checked out the new alarm features and was wondering if it applies to all the products or only the boom? I've used the alarm a lot on my SB3 but always have a small battery powered backup clock to make sure.

Yes, the alarm code applies to all SB models. However, Boom does have some special hardware that allows it to do more. Specifically, it has a snooze button and a real-time clock. On non-Boom models, you can use the Sleep button as a snooze button, so can do nearly everything the Boom can. The exception is that Boom's snooze button lets you quickly display the clock when the screen is dark, or quickly see the next alarm time when the date/time screensaver is running. You can't use the Sleep button to do this. Without a real-time clock, non-Boom models can not sound an alarm if they are not connected to SqueezeCenter/SqueezeNetwork at the time of the alarm.

The alarm fallback behaviour being discussed here is slightly different and does apply to all Squeezeboxes. If your alarm sound can not be played for some reason, but you are still connected to Squeezecenter at the time, the alarm code will substitute something else to make sure you wake up. This covers, for example, your alarm sound being internet radio but your internet connection being down. In 7.2.1, SqueezeNetwork will have the same fallback behaviour, which would, for example, cover your internet connection being up but the station itself being down.

Max

oreillymj
2008-09-16, 07:24
Does the Boom store alarm samples within onboard memory so that it's alarm can go off even without a connection to Squeezecentre.

Where are the backup sounds held?

max.spicer
2008-09-16, 07:43
Does the Boom store alarm samples within onboard memory so that it's alarm can go off even without a connection to Squeezecentre.

Where are the backup sounds held?

The Boom has an internal alarm tone that is generated by the firmware. It needs power in order to sound an alarm, but nothing else. There's lots more information about this within this forum.

Max

ccrome2
2008-09-16, 07:59
Check out the FAQ at
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Squeezebox_Boom_FAQ.

If that doesn't answer your questions, we can add more to it :-)

-Caleb

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 7:43 AM, max.spicer <
max.spicer.3fu4oz1221576303 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> oreillymj;340941 Wrote:
> > Does the Boom store alarm samples within onboard memory so that it's
> > alarm can go off even without a connection to Squeezecentre.
> >
> > Where are the backup sounds held?
>
> The Boom has an internal alarm tone that is generated by the firmware.
> It needs power in order to sound an alarm, but nothing else. There's
> lots more information about this within this forum.
>
> Max
>
>
> --
> max.spicer
>
> What do we want? Smoother Analog VU with FLAC!
> When do we want it? At the soonest possible convenience to the
> hard-working yet undervalued Slim Developers. ;-)
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> max.spicer's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=23
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=52635
>
>

ModelCitizen
2008-09-16, 08:49
My server failed yesterday so I had to revert to SqueezeNetwork (which I've only previously used a couple of times). I set another alarm clock up.... but it was not required as the Boom woke me up at the required time and even played the same playlist (UK BBC Radio 4) as my SqueezeCenter does. How did that happen?

What a wonderful device!

MC

epoch1970
2008-09-23, 10:54
Hello,
Using SC7.2Linux (debian) the alarm feature does not work when using a random mix. The alarm goes off, but there is no sound at all. The bell icon blinks, other than that the player seems off. It does not fall back to SN (waited for 10 minutes or so).

The alarm works when using a static playlist, or audio effects fetched from SN.

Do you confirm this issue ?

EDIT: Sorry I just discovered I am in a Squeezebox Boom thread ! What I reported was using Squeezebox Classic.

verypsb
2008-10-04, 07:08
Ah, I know what's happening here. This is a bug with the alarm's fallback behaviour when you're connected to SN and your alarm fails. I'm afraid that for now you'll just have to pick a more reliable sound for your alarm. There should hopefully be a fix in 7.2.1.

Sorry about that, but thanks for the report!

Max

I can't find anything in the 7.2.1 changelog about this problem/bug...

max.spicer
2008-10-04, 15:31
I can't find anything in the 7.2.1 changelog about this problem/bug...

It's not fixed yet.

Max