PDA

View Full Version : Syncronizing Boom and Duet

ajkidle
2008-09-14, 17:03
Very interested in the Boom product, but wondering if anyone can share their experience synchronizing the output of the Boom with other SqueezeBox products. I have a Duet system now -- incidentally, does this go by another name too? I see people referring to SB2, SB3, etc. -- is Duet one of these?

Anyway, what I'm really wondering is how well it works to have the Duet receiver and the Boom sync'd to play the same music at the same time. Seems like this would be very difficult to accomplish without some lag or latency issues. So, does anyone know -- how well does this feature work? If it matters, my Duet is hard wired to ethernet, and a Boom (if I buy one) would be WiFi.

Thanks,
Andy

pfarrell
2008-09-14, 17:12
ajkidle wrote:
> Very interested in the Boom product, but wondering if anyone can share
> their experience synchronizing the output of the Boom with other
> SqueezeBox products. I have a Duet system now -- incidentally, does
> this go by another name too? I see people referring to SB2, SB3, etc.
> -- is Duet one of these?

Synchronizing music to two or more SqueezeBoxen has been a feature for
many years.

I've personally sync'd my Boom with my Duet, and know that works, as
well as sync'ing my Duet to my Transporter.

It works pretty well. Its not perfect all the time. But it works great
for putting music into several rooms for a party. If you stand in the
doorway between them, you can occasionally detect a bit of difference.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Jonnio
2008-09-14, 17:13
The Duet is actually just the name for the combo of an SB receiver and an SB remote. I currently have two receivers, one remote, and a Boom.

Yes, the Boom syncs perfectly with the receivers. The other day I had my theater, back deck, living room, and bedroom all playing the same music in perfect sync.

KJAM
2008-09-14, 17:14
Very interested in the Boom product, but wondering if anyone can share their experience synchronizing the output of the Boom with other SqueezeBox products. I have a Duet system now -- incidentally, does this go by another name too? I see people referring to SB2, SB3, etc. -- is Duet one of these?

Anyway, what I'm really wondering is how well it works to have the Duet receiver and the Boom sync'd to play the same music at the same time. Seems like this would be very difficult to accomplish without some lag or latency issues. So, does anyone know -- how well does this feature work? If it matters, my Duet is hard wired to ethernet, and a Boom (if I buy one) would be WiFi.

Thanks,
Andy

Syncs perfectly...no problems at all.

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-15, 07:18
I have a Duet system now -- incidentally, does this go by another name too? I see people referring to SB2, SB3, etc. -- is Duet one of these?

A Duet consists of a Squeezebox Receiver (SBR) and a Squeezebox Controller (SBC).

It's not known by any other name. The other names you mention are older players, see http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/HardwareComparison Only the SB3 has had its name changed. Actually it was never officially an "SB3", it was a "Squeezebox v3", it's now the "Squeezebox Classic".

Internally the SBR and Boom are just about identical to the Squeezebox Classic. The SBR has no display and uses a multistate light/button while Boom's Squeezebox networking portion is attached to a smaller display, plus a DSP and amplifiers.