Announcement: Mobile skin for iPhone, iPod touch, PSP, LG Dare, Samsung Instinct ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmarti
    • Apr 2006

Announcement: Mobile skin for iPhone, iPod touch, PSP, LG Dare, Samsung Instinct ...

All, I've adapted my PSP skin (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=35993) to be more compatible with the vertical form factor of the iPhone and the iPod Touch. I liked the slickness of iPeng (really rich UI - nice work on that), but I found it to be a bit heavyweight for my liking. So I modified my PSP skin, and I'm really enjoying it on my iPod Touch.

The new Mobile skin defaults to the iPhone & iPod touch 320 pixel width, but you can easily edit the top of pageheader.html to select a different device. Setting 'device = "PSP"' will give you my previous PSP skin (which is optimized for a more landscape 450 pixels width) and includes some PSP-specific functions like local image storing. I've added support for other devices that I haven't tested (LG Dare, Samsung Instinct, etc). Again, just select your device by editing pageheader.html and let me know if you have suggestions for how to improve the experience on those devices. Much of the underlying framework should work well across lots of small form-factor devices.

So if you are looking for something really lightweight & fast but still full-featured for your handheld device or mobile phone, you may want to try this out.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Last edited by tmarti; 2008-09-12, 13:25. Reason: typo
  • vitoruch
    • Nov 2007

Interesting...

Nice, although I´m a big Ipeng fan, I will surely give it a try!

- Where exactly must I extract these 'Mobile' folder? I use WinXp with 7.1 SqueezeCenter version.

- Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Thanks!

Vitor

Comment

• MeSue
      • Jul 2005

It looks good on the Wii Opera Browser.

On my Dell Axim (480x640 VGA portrait) a lot of the text in list is wrapped. Even if I switch to landscape it is wrapped. Still it has the Add Next" option so I prefer it over the Handheld skin.

Do you plan to add icons for the Play, Add, Next, Up, Down, Delete links? If I can help with icons let me know.
      Sue
      "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
      Logitech Media Server 8.1 on Windows 10 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
      Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
      My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

Comment

• tmarti
        • Apr 2006

Hi Sue, would you mind adding a screenshot so I can see where it is wrapping on your Axiom?

Re: icons - I'm up for it. I'll try to make them switchable (text or icons) depending on the device since the original reason I went with text only was because the PSP did a horrible job caching images, so in list mode it took a long time to load all the images.

So if you could bake up some icons for those functions I will add them in.

Thanks,
        Tim

Comment

• pilot000
          • Nov 2006

@vitoruch:

you can adapt the installation procedure from the iPeng skin
          CentOS8 (x86_64-linux), SqueezebosServer 8.2.1 - usually the latest nightly build
          1x Squeezebox Touch
          3x Squeezebox Radio
          1x Squeezebox Boom

Comment

• pippin
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by pilot000
            @vitoruch:

you can adapt the installation procedure from the iPeng skin
            http://penguinlovesmusic.de/?page_id=30
            Almost.
            This is a skin, not a plugin, so if you want to use the iPeng instructions, you have to use this one or it won't work:
            ---
            learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
            Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
            at penguinlovesmusic.com
            New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• astonm
              • Jun 2008

Mobile (PSP) Skin comments

Tmarti,

Glad to see that you've brought the PSP skin back to life. I always found the standard handheld skin to be cumbersome to use on the PSP. I have one comment and a feature request/question:

Noticed the pages do not align with the top of the PSP screen. It does, however, align (more like a slight scroll up) when clicking on the change settings at the bottom of the screen. Navigating back to the back-arrow and home buttons results in the screen scolling down again and creating the 10-pixel margin as noted earlier in the this thread.

We use the Multi-Library and Custom Browse plugins enabling each family member to browse just their own music library. Is it possible to change the default configuration for the music library icon to reference all or a specific libraries configured via the Multi-library plugin. Or, maybe add a button that presents the current list of libraries?

Keep up the excellent work!

Comment

• tmarti
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by tmarti
                Hi Sue, would you mind adding a screenshot so I can see where it is wrapping on your Axiom?

Re: icons - I'm up for it. I'll try to make them switchable (text or icons) depending on the device since the original reason I went with text only was because the PSP did a horrible job caching images, so in list mode it took a long time to load all the images.

So if you could bake up some icons for those functions I will add them in.

Thanks,
                Tim

Thanks for the feedback and the icons, Sue. I've added the icons and made them switchable per device so you can choose text or icons (set prefs at the top of pageheader.html - defaulted icons to off for PSP, on for other devices). Updated skin attached.

- Tim

Comment

• MeSue
                  • Jul 2005

It looks great! Thanks.
                  Sue

Comment

• MeSue
                    • Jul 2005

Tim,

Is there any reason you don't have access to "Favorites" anywhere in this skin? Or maybe it is there and I just can't find it?

Would it be possible to add "play next" for podcasts? Maybe this is not possible because I can't find it in any skin and it doesn't work from the remote either, so I've filed an enhancement request. Currently I work around it by using add to playlist, then switching to the playlist view where I can bump it up to play next, but it is a lot of extra clicking.
                    Sue

Comment

• tmarti
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by MeSue
                      Tim,

Is there any reason you don't have access to "Favorites" anywhere in this skin? Or maybe it is there and I just can't find it?

Would it be possible to add "play next" for podcasts? Maybe this is not possible because I can't find it in any skin and it doesn't work from the remote either, so I've filed an enhancement request. Currently I work around it by using add to playlist, then switching to the playlist view where I can bump it up to play next, but it is a lot of extra clicking.
                      Hi Sue, is "Statistics" on the home page the same as "Favorites"?

I'm not sure there is an easy way to do what you want with Podcasts. Since that is just another plugin, it comes "as is". So adding an enhancement request for that plugin is indeed the way to go.

- Tim

Comment

• MeSue
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by tmarti
                        Hi Sue, is "Statistics" on the home page the same as "Favorites"?

- Tim
                        No, that appears to me just a list of the most played tracks. Favorites are user defined. You can see them in the Handheld skin with the URL http://serverip:9000/handheld/plugin...tes/index.html
                        Sue

Comment

• vitoruch
                          • Nov 2007

Interesting

I´ve posted the text below last week, wrongly in the Luke applicacation´s thread...so I repost it here, for sharing feedback for you and Pippin...best regards. Vitor

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mobile was a surprisingly fast application for a skin...

I did some benchmarks between Mobile and Ipeng, choosing songs (from memory) in different artists from different genres and tracks, and it seemed to me Mobile was faster to get there than Ipeng. And It´s also faster to go up some directories to choose another trach from the same genre.

But Ipeng has a much better (smoother) volume slide bar (and fast and precise volume change is a critical issue). Still, in Ipeng I also can get a full screen with the artwork, and that gives me a much better impression that I really got the Album CD cover!

Another nice thing is that Ipeng always fills the whole Ipod touch screen, as Mobile always shows the address bar on the top (so overall Mobile text suffers from been a little bit small to tap). But, on the other hand, I didn´t have any fake taps in Mobile (once I hit it correctly), as I frequently get in Ipeng (where the page seems to start loading - the addres bar comes down, but suddenly it vanishes and the screen doesn´t load at all, and I have to tap again - what´s kinda frustrating if you are in a hurrry)

Of couse, Pippin has done a great job on the "now playing screen", in volume and in the smooth sliding to the track screen, but overall, Mobile has a snapier navigation, until you "get to the sushi". I mean, both navigation speed (new page refresh times) and also with the possibility to go directly from the "now playing screen" to the artist list of records, or directly to other artistis in the same genre as the artist being played. That also seemed faster to change in a party, for example.

Well, I don´t want to incitate a "run for the gold" between applications - I´m very thankfull to both - but it seems to me both have very good aspects that can help each other to become both real killing application....

Good luck, guys!

Vitor

Comment

• pippin
                            • Oct 2007

Vitor,

I'm afraid you will not get a good compromise on your wishes.
                            Problem is, what you describe is a classic trade-off situation. If you want more of the cool stuff you need JavaScript and graphics and that hurts performance.
                            tmarti's skin gains a lot from being simple and using lots of text instead of graphics. I admittedly did some mistakes in the beginning of doing the skin (that's my first HTML code ever!), like using tables, that hurts but the general issue is really that tradeoff.
                            I spent considerable time to speed up iPeng at the beginning of the project and did so again for the 0.6 version - which loaded everything in place and so could offer smooth back-out and switching between NowPlaying and browse pages.
                            ..which was a bad mistake because it turned out that JS on the iPhone lacks performance and generally the iPhone 2.0+ browser is waaaay too buggy to use these cool features. It was fully functional and I used it for a while, but it kept crashing all over the place and the rendering was full of bugs.
                            Apple has invented cool new features for the browser but the quality just sucks.

I now completely dropped that path and will focus on doing things natively, which finally shows some results (have a look at my blog tomorrow ;-), although it's still far from a releasable app. But it already looks cool...

iPeng as a skin will revert to the 0.5 path, with a 0.53 coming as soon as I have a some time to redo the Alarm, which is the main added feature. It's a bit faster than 0.5.2 but not fundamentally so.
                            ---
                            learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
                            Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
                            at penguinlovesmusic.com
                            New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• vitoruch
                              • Nov 2007

Ok, Pippin!

Originally posted by pippin
                              What you describe is a classic trade-off situation between graphics and text
                              Ok, Pippin, thanks for the explanation...now I understand it better.

Apple has invented cool new features for the browser but the quality just sucks.
                              Yeah, I can see that clearly...with iphone/touch growing too fast and having to combat jailbreaking with more "native versatility", things got very buggy lately indeed

I spent considerable time to speed up iPeng at the beginning of the project and did so again for the 0.6 version - which loaded everything in place and so could offer smooth back-out and switching between NowPlaying and browse pages (...) iPeng as a skin will revert to the 0.5 path, with a 0.53 coming as soon as I have a some time to redo the Alarm, It's a bit faster than 0.5.2 but not fundamentally so.
                              0.6 is a native? 0.53? I didn´t get: wich will be released?

I now completely dropped that path and will focus on doing things natively, which finally shows some results (have a look at my blog tomorrow ;-)
                              really?!? That´s the news I´ve been waiting for....I´ve been to your blog every single week hoping for some new version...will you post some "trailler screens" or an ultra-beta version? [/QUOTE]

Good luck, Pippin, I´ve been downloading your appl since 0.2 and if you need some native tester (winXP with Ipod touch and SB3 classic), count me on!

Vitor

Comment

Working...