PDA

View Full Version : Announcement: Mobile skin for iPhone, iPod touch, PSP, LG Dare, Samsung Instinct ...

tmarti
2008-09-11, 21:02
All, I've adapted my PSP skin (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=35993) to be more compatible with the vertical form factor of the iPhone and the iPod Touch. I liked the slickness of iPeng (really rich UI - nice work on that), but I found it to be a bit heavyweight for my liking. So I modified my PSP skin, and I'm really enjoying it on my iPod Touch.

The new Mobile skin defaults to the iPhone & iPod touch 320 pixel width, but you can easily edit the top of pageheader.html to select a different device. Setting 'device = "PSP"' will give you my previous PSP skin (which is optimized for a more landscape 450 pixels width) and includes some PSP-specific functions like local image storing. I've added support for other devices that I haven't tested (LG Dare, Samsung Instinct, etc). Again, just select your device by editing pageheader.html and let me know if you have suggestions for how to improve the experience on those devices. Much of the underlying framework should work well across lots of small form-factor devices.

So if you are looking for something really lightweight & fast but still full-featured for your handheld device or mobile phone, you may want to try this out.

Thanks,
Tim

vitoruch
2008-09-12, 11:38
Nice, although Iīm a big Ipeng fan, I will surely give it a try!

- Where exactly must I extract these 'Mobile' folder? I use WinXp with 7.1 SqueezeCenter version.

- Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Thanks!

Vitor

MeSue
2008-09-12, 12:56
It looks good on the Wii Opera Browser.

On my Dell Axim (480x640 VGA portrait) a lot of the text in list is wrapped. Even if I switch to landscape it is wrapped. Still it has the Add Next" option so I prefer it over the Handheld skin.

Do you plan to add icons for the Play, Add, Next, Up, Down, Delete links? If I can help with icons let me know.

tmarti
2008-09-12, 16:56
Hi Sue, would you mind adding a screenshot so I can see where it is wrapping on your Axiom?

Re: icons - I'm up for it. I'll try to make them switchable (text or icons) depending on the device since the original reason I went with text only was because the PSP did a horrible job caching images, so in list mode it took a long time to load all the images.

So if you could bake up some icons for those functions I will add them in.

Thanks,
Tim

pilot000
2008-09-13, 03:11
@vitoruch:

you can adapt the installation procedure from the iPeng skin
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/?page_id=30

pippin
2008-09-13, 03:32
@vitoruch:

you can adapt the installation procedure from the iPeng skin
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/?page_id=30

Almost.
This is a skin, not a plugin, so if you want to use the iPeng instructions, you have to use this one or it won't work:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/?page_id=57

astonm
2008-09-13, 09:21
Tmarti,

Glad to see that you've brought the PSP skin back to life. I always found the standard handheld skin to be cumbersome to use on the PSP. I have one comment and a feature request/question:

Noticed the pages do not align with the top of the PSP screen. It does, however, align (more like a slight scroll up) when clicking on the change settings at the bottom of the screen. Navigating back to the back-arrow and home buttons results in the screen scolling down again and creating the 10-pixel margin as noted earlier in the this thread.

We use the Multi-Library and Custom Browse plugins enabling each family member to browse just their own music library. Is it possible to change the default configuration for the music library icon to reference all or a specific libraries configured via the Multi-library plugin. Or, maybe add a button that presents the current list of libraries?

Keep up the excellent work!

tmarti
2008-09-14, 07:32
Hi Sue, would you mind adding a screenshot so I can see where it is wrapping on your Axiom?

Re: icons - I'm up for it. I'll try to make them switchable (text or icons) depending on the device since the original reason I went with text only was because the PSP did a horrible job caching images, so in list mode it took a long time to load all the images.

So if you could bake up some icons for those functions I will add them in.

Thanks,
Tim

Thanks for the feedback and the icons, Sue. I've added the icons and made them switchable per device so you can choose text or icons (set prefs at the top of pageheader.html - defaulted icons to off for PSP, on for other devices). Updated skin attached.

- Tim

MeSue
2008-09-14, 08:40
It looks great! Thanks.

MeSue
2008-09-20, 12:31
Tim,

Is there any reason you don't have access to "Favorites" anywhere in this skin? Or maybe it is there and I just can't find it?

Would it be possible to add "play next" for podcasts? Maybe this is not possible because I can't find it in any skin and it doesn't work from the remote either, so I've filed an enhancement request. Currently I work around it by using add to playlist, then switching to the playlist view where I can bump it up to play next, but it is a lot of extra clicking.

tmarti
2008-09-20, 17:43
Tim,

Is there any reason you don't have access to "Favorites" anywhere in this skin? Or maybe it is there and I just can't find it?

Would it be possible to add "play next" for podcasts? Maybe this is not possible because I can't find it in any skin and it doesn't work from the remote either, so I've filed an enhancement request. Currently I work around it by using add to playlist, then switching to the playlist view where I can bump it up to play next, but it is a lot of extra clicking.

Hi Sue, is "Statistics" on the home page the same as "Favorites"?

I'm not sure there is an easy way to do what you want with Podcasts. Since that is just another plugin, it comes "as is". So adding an enhancement request for that plugin is indeed the way to go.

- Tim

MeSue
2008-09-20, 18:07
Hi Sue, is "Statistics" on the home page the same as "Favorites"?

- Tim

No, that appears to me just a list of the most played tracks. Favorites are user defined. You can see them in the Handheld skin with the URL http://serverip:9000/handheld/plugins/Favorites/index.html

vitoruch
2008-09-22, 11:02
Iīve posted the text below last week, wrongly in the Luke applicacationīs thread...so I repost it here, for sharing feedback for you and Pippin...best regards. Vitor

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mobile was a surprisingly fast application for a skin...

I did some benchmarks between Mobile and Ipeng, choosing songs (from memory) in different artists from different genres and tracks, and it seemed to me Mobile was faster to get there than Ipeng. And Itīs also faster to go up some directories to choose another trach from the same genre.

But Ipeng has a much better (smoother) volume slide bar (and fast and precise volume change is a critical issue). Still, in Ipeng I also can get a full screen with the artwork, and that gives me a much better impression that I really got the Album CD cover!

Another nice thing is that Ipeng always fills the whole Ipod touch screen, as Mobile always shows the address bar on the top (so overall Mobile text suffers from been a little bit small to tap). But, on the other hand, I didnīt have any fake taps in Mobile (once I hit it correctly), as I frequently get in Ipeng (where the page seems to start loading - the addres bar comes down, but suddenly it vanishes and the screen doesnīt load at all, and I have to tap again - whatīs kinda frustrating if you are in a hurrry)

Of couse, Pippin has done a great job on the "now playing screen", in volume and in the smooth sliding to the track screen, but overall, Mobile has a snapier navigation, until you "get to the sushi". I mean, both navigation speed (new page refresh times) and also with the possibility to go directly from the "now playing screen" to the artist list of records, or directly to other artistis in the same genre as the artist being played. That also seemed faster to change in a party, for example.

Well, I donīt want to incitate a "run for the gold" between applications - Iīm very thankfull to both - but it seems to me both have very good aspects that can help each other to become both real killing application....

Good luck, guys!

Vitor

pippin
2008-09-22, 11:30
Vitor,

I'm afraid you will not get a good compromise on your wishes.
Problem is, what you describe is a classic trade-off situation. If you want more of the cool stuff you need JavaScript and graphics and that hurts performance.
tmarti's skin gains a lot from being simple and using lots of text instead of graphics. I admittedly did some mistakes in the beginning of doing the skin (that's my first HTML code ever!), like using tables, that hurts but the general issue is really that tradeoff.
I spent considerable time to speed up iPeng at the beginning of the project and did so again for the 0.6 version - which loaded everything in place and so could offer smooth back-out and switching between NowPlaying and browse pages.
..which was a bad mistake because it turned out that JS on the iPhone lacks performance and generally the iPhone 2.0+ browser is waaaay too buggy to use these cool features. It was fully functional and I used it for a while, but it kept crashing all over the place and the rendering was full of bugs.
Apple has invented cool new features for the browser but the quality just sucks.

I now completely dropped that path and will focus on doing things natively, which finally shows some results (have a look at my blog tomorrow ;-), although it's still far from a releasable app. But it already looks cool...

iPeng as a skin will revert to the 0.5 path, with a 0.53 coming as soon as I have a some time to redo the Alarm, which is the main added feature. It's a bit faster than 0.5.2 but not fundamentally so.

vitoruch
2008-09-22, 16:09
What you describe is a classic trade-off situation between graphics and text
Ok, Pippin, thanks for the explanation...now I understand it better.

Apple has invented cool new features for the browser but the quality just sucks.

Yeah, I can see that clearly...with iphone/touch growing too fast and having to combat jailbreaking with more "native versatility", things got very buggy lately indeed :(

I spent considerable time to speed up iPeng at the beginning of the project and did so again for the 0.6 version - which loaded everything in place and so could offer smooth back-out and switching between NowPlaying and browse pages (...) iPeng as a skin will revert to the 0.5 path, with a 0.53 coming as soon as I have a some time to redo the Alarm, It's a bit faster than 0.5.2 but not fundamentally so.

0.6 is a native? 0.53? I didnīt get: wich will be released?

I now completely dropped that path and will focus on doing things natively, which finally shows some results (have a look at my blog tomorrow ;-)

really?!? Thatīs the news Iīve been waiting for....Iīve been to your blog every single week hoping for some new version...will you post some "trailler screens" or an ultra-beta version? [/QUOTE]

Good luck, Pippin, Iīve been downloading your appl since 0.2 and if you need some native tester (winXP with Ipod touch and SB3 classic), count me on!

Vitor

pippin
2008-09-22, 17:57
0.6 is a native? 0.53? I didnīt get: wich will be released?

Nonono. 0.6 was a SKIN version I worked on back when ihone 2.0 was released. Had it up for beta testing on the google-code svn for a while but then reverted to 0.5 branch

Don't know yet, how the native will be called.

really?!? Thatīs the news Iīve been waiting for....Iīve been to your blog every single week hoping for some new version...will you post some "trailler screens" or an ultra-beta version?
Trailer-screen: Done.
Beta is not possible. You cannot 'post' iPhone apps, you have to go through the App Store. You can do a limited beta but only with a special closed-user-group scheme. I will do that when it's far enough for that.

Good luck, Pippin, Iīve been downloading your appl since 0.2 and if you need some native tester (winXP with Ipod touch and SB3 classic), count me on!

You bet ;-)

tmarti
2008-09-24, 16:42
Vitor,

tmarti's skin gains a lot from being simple and using lots of text instead of graphics

Good conversation. Yes, I have been trying to keep my skin extremely lightweight but also keep it very functional. I originally intended it to be used on handheld devices that didn't have sophisticated browsers. I started on this back in the Slimserver 6.x days and targeted my shiny new PSP as the first device. The PSP's browser was an afterthought - quite unsophisticated. Since that time, browsers on devices have become more powerful, and the capabilities of the iPhone's Safari browser have raised the bar again. Even the Slimserver/Squeezecenter skins have become more feature rich. But with that richness comes sacrifices in speed (and occasionally) usability. So I am hoping my skin appeals to those like me who prefer to keep it lightweight, fast, and functional.

Keep the feedback coming, please.

- Tim

pippin
2008-09-24, 18:49
Good conversation. Yes, I have been trying to keep my skin extremely lightweight but also keep it very functional. I originally intended it to be used on handheld devices that didn't have sophisticated browsers. I started on this back in the Slimserver 6.x days and targeted my shiny new PSP as the first device. The PSP's browser was an afterthought - quite unsophisticated. Since that time, browsers on devices have become more powerful, and the capabilities of the iPhone's Safari browser have raised the bar again. Even the Slimserver/Squeezecenter skins have become more feature rich. But with that richness comes sacrifices in speed (and occasionally) usability. So I am hoping my skin appeals to those like me who prefer to keep it lightweight, fast, and functional.

Well, as you might guess I would argue about "functional" vs. iPeng on some aspects, especially on the NowPlaying and Playlist screens which I, sorry, find pretty cluttered on your skin. I will never understand why you need all these buttons (actually that was what originally drove to start modifying it).
Also, at least for my fingers a lot of buttons on your skin feel a bit small (yes, some on iPeng, too, the Alphabet bar...).
But I REALLY like the speed, especially as it shows how fast the browser can scroll when there's less graphics to render (compare your artwork browse screen to the text screens, and I'm not talking load times!)

You are also using JavaScript sparingly, don't you? That also helps a lot WRT performance.

If I was only into working on the skin my next step would be to set my penguin on a diet, but for now I'll try going native first, seems to help a LOT on performance (obviously).

And I like the "add next" on the browse screens very much.

One thing: I think it would help (at least me) a lot if you scrolled the URL-Bar out of the way, you can do so with a simple

onload="window.scrollTo (0, 1)"

I keep it continuously out of the way by modifying "globalOnload":

function globalOnload() {
window.onscroll = hideBrowserBar;
}

function hideBrowserBar() {
if (!window.pageYOffset)
window.scrollTo (0, 1);
}

This doesn't hurt on other browsers since it just scrolls the view off screen by 1 pixel.

pippin
2008-09-24, 18:54
Oh, one more thing, may be a SqueezeCenter issue, but..

You've got those Fast-Forward and Fast-Rewind buttons. I clicked on them and then didn't know how to STOP that functionality. Clicking again didn't do it, pressing play, too. The only way was to press "stop" which can't be the intention.

User error?

MeSue
2008-09-24, 19:44
You've got those Fast-Forward and Fast-Rewind buttons. I clicked on them and then didn't know how to STOP that functionality. Clicking again didn't do it, pressing play, too. The only way was to press "stop" which can't be the intention.

User error?

Oh, same here! I forgot about that.

rdb001
2008-10-03, 18:50
To install, just drop the "mobile" folder into the Squeezecenter "html" folder. You access it by pointing your browser to [the ip address of the server]:9000/mobile. It is just as advertised, a faster, lightweight skin.

pilot000
2008-11-19, 03:02
@tmarti:
I still have problems with the refresh on my PSP in the WPS (while playing screen). Is there a way to force a refresh after every button click ?
Actually I can skip a song, but the action will be executed only after a manual refresh on the PSP.

tmarti
2009-03-15, 12:41
Is anyone interested in helping me test an updated version of this skin? I'm making a number of small fixes and needs some testers before I release.

Also, I'm seeing a bunch of posts for skins for the PSP (for which this was originally designed), and I am really liking this skin on my iPod Touch as an alternative to iPeng (which is super cool but ia a little slow for my liking), so I'm thinking I need to do a better job with spreading the work about this skin. Even trying to include this as a skin in the main code branch to squeezebox, but I'll need some heavy testing before I do that.

Let me know if you can help me test.

Thanks,
- Tim

signor_rossi
2009-03-15, 13:13
What does this skin look like?

Pellicle
2009-03-17, 09:19
I am using the mobile skin included with 7.3.2 on my Samsung Omnia. I use the 770 skin on my Nokia 770. This makes it possible to control my music easily. Always have the phone on me as opposed to a remote.

unique24
2009-05-24, 02:16
Hello,

when I save a playlist, I can not set an name for it.
Is this a bug or does I make a mistake?

Thanks
Hannes

mgippa
2009-07-04, 09:53
Hi there! I am trying the mobile skin on my samsung omnia hd and it looks really proming. It would be nice to optimize it for the bigger screen of the s60v5 phones. I can really make the tester but need somebody to make the REAL work. Can be anybody of you ??

lrossouw
2009-08-02, 21:50
Is anyone interested in helping me test an updated version of this skin? I'm making a number of small fixes and needs some testers before I release.

Also, I'm seeing a bunch of posts for skins for the PSP (for which this was originally designed), and I am really liking this skin on my iPod Touch as an alternative to iPeng (which is super cool but ia a little slow for my liking), so I'm thinking I need to do a better job with spreading the work about this skin. Even trying to include this as a skin in the main code branch to squeezebox, but I'll need some heavy testing before I do that.

Let me know if you can help me test.

Thanks,
- Tim

Just discovered this skin. A little late but would be happy to test. I have a PSP, Samsung Omnia and Blackberry. Will be installing when I get home.

TimothyB
2009-08-08, 14:39

I've just started using your mobile skin to access SqueezeCenter from my iPhone. Thanks for making it, it's working well. Right now the one thing I'd like is to be able to get to my Favorites list, and there's an empty space for an icon on the home screen... :)

I'd be interested in testing, or getting the new version if it's available now.

By the way, would it be possible to edit the first post in this thread to have a link to the latest version (or at least a note where to get it)? I read through the thread,, went back to the first post to get the skin, and then later realized you had a newer version halfway down the page.

Thanks,

-- T

dave77
2009-08-08, 16:27
Any chance of getting this skin to install through extension downloader?

dave77
2009-08-13, 15:44
Got this installed now :)

Does anyone know how you change album lists from text only to the album art, I can't find the option to do it?

dave77
2009-08-14, 05:49
Does anyone know how you change album lists from text only to the album art, I can't find the option to do it?

Figured that out, it was on the homepage.

Is the developer of this still around. I'd like to get it working better with the Nokia N97/5800 in landscape mode, specifically album art which is displayed in 3 columns in both portrait and landscape. Ideally landscape would be 5 or 6 columns.

There's also a lot of javascript in pageheader.html that could be moved to an external file

pauljones
2009-12-13, 11:14
I also can't find the option to change album lists from text only to the album art. Dave77 if you figured this out, it would be greatly appreciated if you detailed the solution you found.

Thanks, Paul

dave77
2009-12-14, 03:11
I also can't find the option to change album lists from text only to the album art. Dave77 if you figured this out, it would be greatly appreciated if you detailed the solution you found.

Thanks, Paul

It's on the homepage somewhere