Nonreality
2008-09-11, 02:24
Hi,

When I scan my music collection (Windows Media Player,
Vista Home Premium, Dell XPS 420) the songs end up
quadruplicated on the SB. Can you identify the problem
and suggest a solution?

Greetings,
jahnjahnIt's your tags. If you are just starting to rip your music you might want to look into dbpoweramp (pay) or Eac (free). The are the two best at accurate ripping. Dbpoweramp has the best tagging I've ever seen from a ripper and I feel it's worth the money. I would consider ripping to FLAC for bit perfect rips that you can transcode to mp3 or any other format in the future. That way you will have a perfect archive of your music. What are you ripping to now? Are you checking your tags at all?

jahnjahn
2008-09-11, 05:03
I don't check the tags, because I wouldn't know
the first thing about them. Guess I need to get
myself educated. Any suggestions?

Phil Leigh
2008-09-11, 05:23
make sure you don't have any windows shortcuts in your music folders. They can cause this sort of problem.

jahnjahn
2008-09-12, 00:35
I understand what both you and Nonreality are
saying. But how about some step by step instructions.
And where do you find that kind of information?
I am a beginner, you know.

Siduhe
2008-09-12, 01:46
Look in the wiki, specifically at the Beginners Guide to Organising and the Beginner Guide to Tagging.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/BeginnersGuide

Phil Leigh
2008-09-12, 07:20
on XP you'd do a search for *.lnk to find windows shortcuts. Not sure if this changed under Vista?

jahnjahn
2008-09-12, 10:55
I looked into eac, but there is a snag. Freedb doesn't have information on a number of Dutch cd's in my collection. Filling in the info is too time consuming. So I would prefer continuing to work with Windows Media Player.

So I could fix the problem by eliminating the Windows shortcuts? What am I looking for?