PDA

View Full Version : New Boom User - Alarm Display Request

cyberchino
2008-09-10, 23:21
I just received my Boom with since I've been waiting for an alarm clock that is capable of linking with my current Squeezebox setup/network. So far, I am impressed with the build quality and sound. No question worth the money.

I do have a few suggestion on alarm usability since it was such a key focus for this device. I'd be curious what others think as well.

1. Create a more informational alarm display while the Boom is off - Currently, if you set an alarm on the Boom, the only indication that an alarm is set is a small bell icon. It would be nice to display the time associated with the alarm so I don't have to go into the menus to check.

2. Allow more than 1 alarm to be displayed on the main screen - Since my wife and I both use the alarm and wake at different times, it would be nice to display which alarms are set on and the times associated with each. The only way to verify this currently is to dig in the alarm setup menu.

3. Allow for custom naming the alarms - It would be nice to be able to change the alarm labels so that I can distinguish one alarm from the other. Currently, alarms are labeled "Alarm 1...Alarm2, etc.).

We are excited to have this device and look forward to future enhancements to the firmware.

Thanks!

max.spicer
2008-09-11, 05:20
1. Create a more informational alarm display while the Boom is off - Currently, if you set an alarm on the Boom, the only indication that an alarm is set is a small bell icon. It would be nice to display the time associated with the alarm so I don't have to go into the menus to check.

If you tap the snooze bar when the time is displayed it will tell you when the next alarm is.

2. Allow more than 1 alarm to be displayed on the main screen - Since my wife and I both use the alarm and wake at different times, it would be nice to display which alarms are set on and the times associated with each. The only way to verify this currently is to dig in the alarm setup menu.

The problem is trying to fit so much information into so little space. Maybe the date/time screensaver should be modifed so you can do something with the wheel while it's displayed that then makes it show alarm info. It's near impossible to display alarm info and current date and time on the Boom - we tried quite hard for 7.2 but had to go for the current compromise in the end.

3. Allow for custom naming the alarms - It would be nice to be able to change the alarm labels so that I can distinguish one alarm from the other. Currently, alarms are labeled "Alarm 1...Alarm2, etc.).

You're not the first person to ask for this and I agree that it would make sense. See http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9328

Max

androidtopp
2008-09-11, 05:50
Voted for the bug.

I'm kinda surprised this doesn't exist already. I'm not looking to do it from the Boom itself, but being able to label them in the Web UI would be great.

cyberchino
2008-09-11, 18:18
Thanks for the quick response, Max. Regarding point #1, I didn't know tapping the snooze bar showed the next alarm. It would be nice then to be able to tap the snooze bar and then use the dial to scroll through all active alarms. I noticed that the alarm time occupied the whole screen so maybe it can be resized to include both alarm name and the time it is set for. Just a suggestion.