PDA

View Full Version : Very simple NAS & SB3 network setup

jclyle
2008-09-10, 04:14
This setup seems like it would work, please correct me if i'm wrong..

Very simple network for SB3 use only:
-Ready NAS duo
-switch
-SB3
-wired connections throughout

The duo and SB3 would be the only devices on the network. I would move data to the NAS by plugging my laptop into the switch.

I realize I will need to put the NAS and SB3 on a different network with internet connection to update firmware etc, but once everything is updated they would be on their own network.

I'm hoping having everything wired will result in better performance than running the NAS through a wireless router.

Why am I doing this you ask? My listening room is on the 3rd floor, the wireless router and PC running SqueezeCenter are on the second floor in my office. The office will be converted to a nursery soon so I'm trying to move away from a desktop PC as a server...

GlenL
2008-09-10, 08:31
Presumably you will need to set up the SB3 (and NAS for that matter) with fixed IP addresses.
I'm assuming of course your NAS is not running a DHCP server.

If that is the case it might be worthwhile choosing IP addresses that are in the same subnet as the ones dished out by your current router.
Obviously choose ones that are outside your router's DHCP server scope.

That way if you do need to plug the NAS or SB3 back into your current network, they would continue to work without having to mess about changing IP addresses.

jclyle
2008-09-10, 09:26
Good point regarding the addresses GlenL.

I've ordered a Netgear ReadyNAS DUO. But after reading the discouraging reviews regarding performance i'm having second thoughts...

Thankfully Amazon has a good return policy. I'll give it a fair try and see how it goes.

waldo
2008-09-10, 11:08
If you want the simplest solution you can get rid of the switch. Get a cross-over ethernet cable to connect directly the SB3 and the NAS (as previously said you need first to configure IP address/netmask/gateway for each device). Then three options:
-If USB is available in your NAS, use it to transfer data from/to your laptop.
-Otherwise, use the same ethernet cable to connect to your laptop.
-A third option if the SB3 was able to work as a wifi bridge (I'm not sure of this fact but think it can), would be to use wifi to connect from your laptop to the NAS.

Regards

peter
2008-09-10, 12:16
waldo wrote:
> If you want the simplest solution you can get rid of the switch. Get a
> cross-over ethernet cable to connect directly the SB3 and the NAS (as
> previously said you need first to configure IP address/netmask/gateway
> for each device). Then three options:
> -If USB is available in your NAS, use it to transfer data from/to your
> laptop.
> -Otherwise, use the same ethernet cable to connect to your laptop.
> -A third option if the SB3 was able to work as a wifi bridge (I'm not
> sure of this fact but think it can), would be to use wifi to connect
> from your laptop to the NAS.
>

Problem with fixed addresses that you'd presumable have to change the ip
on the laptop if you connect it to the audio-LAN. With laptops that roam
between LAN's it's usually best to use DHCP on each LAN. I that case I'd
probably recommend a cheap router instead of the switch and use that to
serve as a DHCP server. Leave the WAN port disconnected.

X.