PDA

View Full Version : possible to reach mp3 files from outside my network?

hammond
2008-09-10, 02:14
possible to reach mp3 files from outside my network?

I mean, use it as a "server" for music and maybe reach it from another town travelling?

must I log in somehow then?

wilgartw
2008-09-10, 02:28
your router needs to "port forward" your isp (usually) also needs to give you a static ip address. then you just hit port 9000 with a webpage, and set up your mp3 player to hit the same port.

sounds complicated but isn't.

so firstly, check if you have a static ip address. then see if your router can port forward.

Siduhe
2008-09-10, 03:00
Look in the wiki for a page on "connectingremotely". Please also note the warnings - if you don't secure the connection you are opening your system up for other people to compromise.

4mula1
2008-09-10, 04:00
Connecting remotely is fairly easy to do, but it is highly recommended that you use ssh or some sort of vpn to protect your network at home. I've done ssh on Windows in the past and it's not that difficult to do. http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/

As far as having a static ip address goes, use a service like dyndns.org if you don't have or can't get one. I used it for awhile and it works well, although a static ip address is always the best. You will need to assign your SqueezeCenter box a static ip address within your own network so that any port forwarding done by your router goes to the right place. Just make sure that it's out of the range of addresses being handed out by your dhcp server.

SoftSqueeze works well for remote playing and has a built in ssh client so you don't need a seperate program to create your tunnels.

bernt
2008-09-10, 04:11
https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=sv

blazingtortoise
2008-09-10, 05:45
Just a word of warning. I set up SSH tunneling to my server yesterday and in approximately 12 hours I had 15,000 attempts to break into my server. If your going to do it, make sure it's secure.

Simon.

ncarver
2008-09-10, 20:54
Just a word of warning. I set up SSH tunneling to my server yesterday and in approximately 12 hours I had 15,000 attempts to break into my server. If your going to do it, make sure it's secure.

Simon.

Unforunately many people believe an SSH server to be secure by itself (it is called *secure* shell). Here is a recent SANS article on brute force attacks:
http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=4408

One of the most important things you can do is disable the ability to login directly as root by setting "PermitRootLogin no" in the sshd configuration file (which will be something like /etc/ssh/sshd_config on a Linux system).

Another easy thing you can do is limit the machines that are allowed to connect. Very few people need to allow access to their ssh server from any machine on the Internet. You can use the /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files to limit access (most Linux distros have OpenSSH compiled to obey these files). Put the line ALL:ALL into /etc/hosts.deny, and then in /etc/hosts.allow add a line like sshd:111.222.333.444,555.666.777.888 to permit access from particular IP address (obviously use the correct/valid IP addresses). You can also use hostnames, and wildcards.

Of course, make certain you have strong passwords (that aren't dictionary words, etc.), or switch to using only key-based logins.

Eric Seaberg
2008-09-11, 03:01
I've been in London this week and was streaming from my home in San Diego. My network speeds are fast enough (up/down) I was playing lossless files WITHOUT bandwidth limiting or transcoding. I was amazed...

YES it can be done.

4mula1
2008-09-11, 03:25
I've been in London this week and was streaming from my home in San Diego. My network speeds are fast enough (up/down) I was playing lossless files WITHOUT bandwidth limiting or transcoding. I was amazed...

YES it can be done.

Ouch! Stop it Eric! My nose hurts!!!

ncarver raised some excellent points about being more secure when using ssh. I have a Linksys Slug over at my parents house for an offsite mirror of my Slug and I have it setup with root not being allowed to login at all (su only) and the ordinary user has no password, only a keypair. One thing I haven't done is the hosts.allow/deny. Since I can only really connect from one of 2 ip addresses I really should set that...

MrSinatra
2008-09-11, 22:55
possible to reach mp3 files from outside my network?

I mean, use it as a "server" for music and maybe reach it from another town travelling?

must I log in somehow then?

u run SC7 on your home machine with the music.

then, use a router that has ddns. you can then get to your SC7 via the ddns addy with :9000/ after it. (you might also have to use ip port forwarding so that the SC7 machine is the one port 9000 goes to)

at that point, all you have to do is tune a software player into the :9000/stream.mp3 ddns addy, assuming you started some music going on the server.