PDA

View Full Version : loud blast of sound

lrossouw
2008-09-10, 01:21
Anyway last night I had moved my squeezebox and unplugged it (and plugged it back in). I am using the line out connection. I think I also switch off the power.

This morning I woke up about 1m in the air after my sb3 went of at its alarm setting. However sound coming out was heavily distorted and very very very loud. Didn't recognise it as music!

I went to the computer and checked all the sound settings, and volume outs etc, but that wasn't the problem. My other sb3 was also not doing this.

I could not fix it until I took out the power and plugged it back in. Then it was all happy. Anyone know what I did wrong?

y360
2008-09-11, 01:11
Players were in sync ?

lrossouw
2008-09-11, 01:13
yes but one was off.

y360
2008-09-11, 01:21
Maybe you're not alone
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=52467

lrossouw
2008-09-11, 01:30
The sound I got was not a random noise. It was the music playing at a very high volume (very high output volume from the sb3). At first it wasn't recognisable but if you turned the volume down on the sb3 to the volume just before it mutes you could just make out the music but still with the some distortion.

Unplugging the sb3 and plugging it back in sorted this, just thought I'd ask because this was on my cheapish radio in my bedroom. I hope it never happens in my hifi. I suspect damage may result. Either to my ears or to the hifi or both! :)

My server was not under load. I also fiddled with the volume settings (fixed vs variable) and also replay gain but this did not fix anything. Only fixed by repowering the sb3.

egd
2008-09-11, 06:18
this is becoming a worrying trend, seems a number of us has had this sort of issue in recent times.

JJZolx
2008-09-11, 14:23
The sound I got was not a random noise. It was the music playing at a very high volume (very high output volume from the sb3). At first it wasn't recognisable but if you turned the volume down on the sb3 to the volume just before it mutes you could just make out the music but still with the some distortion.

This is exactly how my PC sounds if I accidentally zap it with static electricity. Rebooting the computer resets something or other in the sound card, I guess, and then it's back to normal.

You say you handled the SB3 prior to this happening, so I wonder if it could be the same thing.

seanadams
2008-09-11, 14:36
This is exactly how my PC sounds if I accidentally zap it with static electricity. Rebooting the computer resets something or other in the sound card, I guess, and then it's back to normal.

That is my best guess as to what causes this. An electrical transient could cause the PCM data to become misaligned on a particular serial connection between two chips in the SB3. Data misaligned that way (specifically, shifted left by 1 or 2 bits) would cause exactly the kind of sound described. Assuming that is the cause, it is not an easy problem to fix, but I've been kicking around some ideas.

JJZolx
2008-09-11, 14:48
That is my best guess as to what causes this. An electrical transient could cause the PCM data to become misaligned on a particular serial connection between two chips in the SB3. Data misaligned that way (specifically, shifted left by 1 or 2 bits) would cause exactly the kind of sound described. Assuming that is the cause, it is not an easy problem to fix, but I've been kicking around some ideas.

Could the firmware just reset the system periodically during idle time, or does it require an electrical cycling? There's no easy way to simply reboot a Squeezebox, so it's likely nobody has ever tried that as a fix, the first reaction being to yank it out of the wall.

The only time you wouldn't be able to get away with it would be when playing tracks back to back, so that gapless playback isn't affected. If someone zaps it in the middle of playing, it's probably going to be a lot more obvious what happened and they'll be more careful next time.

ModelCitizen
2008-09-11, 14:49
You say you handled the SB3 prior to this happening, so I wonder if it could be the same thing.
Yup, it's not good to handle SlimDevices products. Leave them well alone.

;-/

MC

lrossouw
2008-09-12, 02:47
I moved my setup arround pluggin and unplugging hifi/sb3 and the connection between the two. I did not turn things off though. Will do that next time, but wasn't really thinking that it would be a problem.

lrossouw
2008-09-14, 03:44
Hi

I am now not getting any sound from this SB3. Swapped my other one out into the same setup and works fine. Swapped this one into the others setup also no sound.

Thought it may be a SqueezeCentre problem with the settings of this player, so I tried SqueezeNetwork, and still no luck.

What it shows is that it is playing but no sound is coming from the line outs. Haven't tried the digital out yet.

Is it possible to redo the firmware update to see if that is it?

Regards
Louis