PDA

View Full Version : How can I make my Boom display look like the one on the box? [updated: with guide]

Enoch Soames
2008-09-09, 16:33
Screen real estate is pretty scarce on the Boom, so I'm wondering how I can set the display so that it looks like the illustration on the box - with the artist replacing 'now playing' in small letters on the top line and the song title in larger type below. I've been messing around with the settings in Squeezecenter and can't find anything that would let me do that, and I can't find a plugin either. Obviously, I'm missing something. Any suggestions?

radish
2008-09-09, 16:34
Try the MusicInfo plugin, although it does seem weird to feature a third party plugin on a product shot :)

Matt Wise
2008-09-10, 16:32
Try the MusicInfo plugin, although it does seem weird to feature a third party plugin on a product shot :)

:) It works great... I've got that exact setup using the latest MusicInfo SCR plugin, and its definitely my favorite screen saver.

maggior
2008-09-10, 18:54
I think it's pretty lame to use a 3rd party plug-in for a marketing shot put on the front of the box. If the plug-in is that great, why not just make it part of the product?

How many new users will want to set it up the same way and feel like idiots when they find they can't. If I was put in that position, I know I'd be pretty perturbed.

dwilliams01
2008-09-10, 19:36
Perhaps some credit/mention somewhere? I'd think that it was a feature that additional functionality is available from a wide variety of sources and the openness and extensibility of the product.

Almost all product displays seem to be "gen'd" up by marketing - in my book. I think that this is an exception that you actually CAN make the actual product look like what is on the box...

damager
2008-09-10, 20:16
I downloaded the plugin, extracted into the "Plugins" folder, and restarted SqueezeCenter, but can't find the setup for MusicInfo - am I doing something wrong?

Thanks...

mherger
2008-09-10, 21:02
> restarted SqueezeCenter, but can't find the setup for MusicInfo - am I

It's in the player settings for your player.

--

Michael

pippin
2008-09-10, 22:55
I think it's pretty lame to use a 3rd party plug-in for a marketing shot put on the front of the box.
Well, It's not really THAT 3rd party, isn't it :-)
More like 2 1/2...

Enoch Soames
2008-09-11, 19:30
I'm totally confused. Found what appears to be the latest version of the Musicinfo plugin (v. 4.2) on Michael Herger's website (for some reason it's not in the regular plugins section on the Slim Devices website) and installed it per the directions. It shows up, but the yellow 'settings' button is missing. Even weirder, a non-functional version sort of shows up in the Boom settings menu (I had to click a blank space to find it) and it's obviously the right plugin, but it's not all there - you can't change the settings, so it's completely non-functional.

Come on, guys. If you're going to show a function on the box, it really ought to be available on the product - or at the least you should provide a pointer to a functioning plugin. Has anybody successfully downloaded the Musicinfo plugin and managed to make it work on the Boom? What am I missing here?

Richie
2008-09-11, 22:54
Has anybody successfully downloaded the Musicinfo plugin and managed to make it work on the Boom? What am I missing here?

Yes. It work's fine on my Boom (and my other Squeezeboxen). You might want to list your OS and how / where you installed MusicInfo to help get it working for you.

Richard

lamp
2008-09-12, 00:44
Newbie to Squeezebox here just bought the Boombox at the Logitech BBQ...
Mmm...I also have problem getting musicinfo plugin (v. 4.2).

Similar to what Enoch case, musicinfo plugin is listed in SequeezeCenter - Settings - Plugins -- but the "Settings" next to "i" is missing. But it does show up as "Music Information Screen" in the Settings -- Players -- Screensaver.

SqueezeCenter 7.2
Browser: Firefox 3.0.1 / Safari 3.1
MusicInfoSCR folder copied into "Plugins" folder ~/Library/Application Support/SqueezeCenter/Plugins

I notice a separate folder called "plugin" where there is a musicip.prefs in ~/Library/Application Support/SqueezeCenter/plugin so my guess is it does get into the plugin as SqueezeCenter recognize it but cannot access its Settings...

Check the perl version installed in my system (if it's useful Tidbits)...v5.8.8

Cheers,
/Peter

amrace
2008-09-12, 01:30
Once you've installed the MusicInfo plugin its setup is done differently to most of the other plugins. To access the setup page click on the player tab in the squeezecenter settings, under this tab are two drop down menus, the right hand one usually says "Basic Settings", click on this, the menu will drop down and should reveal "Music Information Screen" among a list of other options. click on this to reveal the setup page.

I found this by accident but it makes sense to do it this way as you can have different screen layouts on different players.

Enoch Soames
2008-09-12, 04:43
My system is the same as Lamp's:

SqueezeCenter 7.2
Browser: Firefox 3.0.1
MusicInfoSCR folder copied into "Plugins" folder ~/Library/Application Support/SqueezeCenter/Plugins

Maybe this is a Mac problem then?

Amrace: I did find the Musicinfo screen in the Boom settings, but it was non-functional - most of it appears to be missing.

Matt Wise
2008-09-12, 09:15
MusicInfo works great on Mac's... as far as I know, its platform-independent. I'll post a Wiki article shortly on how to make Boom look like it does on the box... give me a little time.

Matt Wise
2008-09-12, 09:52
Here you go: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Make_Boom_look_like_the_Box

Step by step instructions with pictures...

Matt Wise
2008-09-12, 10:12

Umm... by the way, I did notice that it doesnt appear possible right now to add the "Play Time" to the 'right' of the Progress Bar. I'm not sure how to fix that yet.

Matt Wise
2008-09-12, 10:14
Oh, I just figured out how to do it. Updating the Wiki article.

Secret Squirrel
2008-09-12, 10:23
MusicInfo works great on Mac's... as far as I know, its platform-independent. I'll post a Wiki article shortly on how to make Boom look like it does on the box... give me a little time.

WOW! That didn't take long. I think I have to hold out until Santa comes down the chimney to get one, but I'm more prepared now than I was a few minutes ago ;)

THANKS!

SS

lamp
2008-09-12, 10:28
Bravo Matt!! Thanks to the wiki, works great!

Enoch Soames
2008-09-12, 11:19
Thanks, Matt! Much appreciated.

maggior
2008-09-12, 12:12

Now that's pretty cool! :-)

lamp
2008-09-12, 16:21
I have two more (stupid) questions...

1) I got what it almost looks like the Squeezebox shipping box...Aargh except one thing the small VU on the right hand side never "go" as high as the first line where the artist/progress bar/song time are -- as depicted in the photo.

2) I understand this plugin works very well with SqueezeCenter/SimServer, but when I use the *SqueezeNetwork* mode (where computer does not need to be present online), in the SqueezeNetwork settings - Display - ScreenSaver when Playing -- "Now Playing" and couple other options. So as I understand Logitech still need to somehow implement MusicInfo on their server in order for this display to work.

Cheers,
/Peter

Matt Wise
2008-09-12, 17:22
I have two more (stupid) questions...

1) I got what it almost looks like the Squeezebox shipping box...Aargh except one thing the small VU on the right hand side never "go" as high as the first line where the artist/progress bar/song time are -- as depicted in the photo.

thats just related to the music your playing... if you find some rock or something with heavy bass lines, you should see it go higher.

2) I understand this plugin works very well with SqueezeCenter/SimServer, but when I use the *SqueezeNetwork* mode (where computer does not need to be present online), in the SqueezeNetwork settings - Display - ScreenSaver when Playing -- "Now Playing" and couple other options. So as I understand Logitech still need to somehow implement MusicInfo on their server in order for this display to work.

Cheers,
/Peter

yes, SqueezeNetwork does not have the same user-installable plugin architecture as SqueezeCenter. One of the many advantages of running a local SqueezeCenter installation.

damager
2008-09-12, 19:19
Great job on the wiki page - this is an awesome example of the power of these forums and the wiki - thanks!

MeSue
2008-09-14, 11:10

Thanks for this. I wasn't looking to make my display look just like the box, but your tutorial helped me figure out how to get it the way I wanted. I had tried before and given up. I still could not figure out how to get remaining time as a display element, but I settled for the progress bar instead.

damager
2008-09-14, 17:56
I was looking for remaining time as well - doesn't look like an option.

MeSue
2008-09-15, 08:47
I was looking for remaining time as well - doesn't look like an option.

I did a search and found it - PLAYTIME will display the remaining time.

Edit: But you also have to have remaining time set under Player > Basic Settings > Now Playing Information.

damager
2008-09-16, 10:18
Thanks - thats great - not sure I understand the second part, however.

MeSue
2008-09-16, 10:28
Whatever you have selected in this screen is what PLAYTIME will show. It is under Basic Settings in the player settings, so it's in a different place than the settings for Music Info Screensaver.

damager
2008-09-16, 12:07
Awesome - thanks!

mherger
2008-09-17, 04:03
FWIW: the next release of MIS will use the Boom box shots layout as its default layout. Plus I'll add some formats to ease the steps described in the wiki in case you've been using MIS before.

The PLAYTIME is currently a bit confusing. In fact it will not always display the playtime, but respect the Now Playing mode's playtime setting. This means toggling through those modes using the Now Playing button will toggle the PLAYTIME as well. SONGTIME otoh doesn't display the current playing time, but the song's length. I'll therefore add PLAYTIME_ALWAYS and PLAYTIME_REMAINING formats to overwrite the default's PLAYTIME behaviour.

MeSue
2008-09-17, 09:09
Sounds great!

Personally, I did not care for the box shot layout after a day of use because if you have a really long artist name, you lose the progress bar entirely.

And for podcasts, I like to see remaining time as well as the progress bar.

And I wanted the clock on the second line since I need to read it from a distance or in bright sunlight much of the time.

The layout I settled on was:

Top Left: PLAYTIME PROGRESSBAR Top Right: TRACKSTATRATINGSTATIC
Bottom Left: TITLE by ARTIST Bottom Right: CURRTIME

For CURRTIME, I used the time format without AM/PM which was added in 7.2.1.

Now it's perfect! Both for music and podcasts.

walterrho
2008-09-17, 19:59
Set a Title Format to "PROGRESSBAR PLAYTIME" and use that for the right side field, then in MIS set the left side field to "ARTIST". This preserves the width of the progress bar with longer artist names.

[QUOTE=MeSue;341422]
Personally, I did not care for the box shot layout after a day of use because if you have a really long artist name, you lose the progress bar entirely.

walterrho
2008-09-17, 20:05
Is there a way to make the Boom show the MIS display automatically? I currently have to press "Home" a couple of times to get it to display.

mherger
2008-09-17, 23:57
> Is there a way to make the Boom show the MIS display automatically? I
> currently have to press "Home" a couple of times to get it to display.

It's a screensaver. It will show after 30 seconds (default) or whatever you've set in Settings/Player.

--

Michael

walterrho
2008-09-18, 04:34
Thanks. I had set it to 0 seconds. I guess that gets interpreted as infinity seconds.

A second question: What does "jump back on wake" mean?

MeSue
2008-09-18, 08:39
Thanks. I had set it to 0 seconds. I guess that gets interpreted as infinity seconds.

A second question: What does "jump back on wake" mean?
There is an option for MIS to replace the playlist info, too. You can use that instead of setting your screensaver for a short timeout.

Jump back on wake means when you push a button on the remote or front panel, it will take you back to where you were last in the menus, instead of taking you back to home menu all the time.

hussein
2008-09-19, 04:16
This is a really great plugin, was having a bit of fun with it last night. Is there a way of getting items on the top line to scroll?

sc53
2008-09-19, 06:30
Fellow Mac Boomers: is there any way to load this plugin without using Terminal?? I have tried copying the string in the instructions in the Wiki (using my User name instead of diranged) but I keep getting "Home/sc53...." not found. I have never used Terminal before and am a dolt, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. With the other plugins I've used, I just drag the file over to the SqueezeCenter preference pane. Will this not work with this plugin?
Please help with some more info for Mac users who know nothing about Terminal! I would love to use this plugin.
Also--I have two folders in my Applications Library, Plugin and Plugins. What's the diff??
Thanks.

mherger
2008-09-22, 07:21
> This is a really great plugin, was having a bit of fun with it last
> night. Is there a way of getting items on the top line to scroll?

I'm sorry, no. Only bottom line items can scroll.

--

Michael

mherger
2008-09-23, 00:44
> Fellow Mac Boomers: is there any way to load this plugin without using
> Terminal??

You should be able to just unzip the file into
/Users/YourUserNameHere/Library/Application Support/SqueezeCenter/Plugins

> Also--I have two folders in my Applications Library, Plugin and
> Plugins. What's the diff??

Slim/Plugin is for built in plugins only. User plugins should go into the above Plugins (with trailing "s") folder.

--

Michael

ModelCitizen
2008-10-05, 02:14
Having seen Michael's announcement in the Third party plugins forum about the newly released version (4.2) of MusicInfo having the required Boom screen by default I've decided to have another go configuring this plugin.

Pretty immediately I hit my first problem.

I use the new Now Playing screensaver that includes the clock component (as my Boom is my alarm clock). However, I can find no way to add the clock (time) to the Now Playing screen and screensaver via the MusicInfo plugin.

Is it possible? If so, can someone give me some pointers?

Thanks.

MC

Richie
2008-10-05, 02:52
Do you have CURRTIME show up on the MusicInfo drop down list?

That's what I use on my Boom to display the time while the music is playing.

Richard

ModelCitizen
2008-10-05, 03:12
ah, cheers Richie. I missed that (I was looking for TIME or CLOCK).

Now I only have one issue remaining. :-)

Even though I have checked the Disable Visualizer setting (and hit apply *and* restarted SlimCenter) the frequency visualiser still shows over the whole length of the display. Any ideas how I can get rid of it? It does not seem to show in the MuiscInfo screen representation

MC

Howard Passman
2008-10-05, 05:10
ah, cheers Richie. I missed that (I was looking for TIME or CLOCK).

Now I only have one issue remaining. :-)

Even though I have checked the Disable Visualizer setting (and hit apply *and* restarted SlimCenter) the frequency visualiser still shows over the whole length of the display. Any ideas how I can get rid of it? It does not seem to show in the MuiscInfo screen representation

MC

Not at home with my Boom right now, but should be able to press the "Display" button (far left bottom button) on a SB3 (I think you have one)remote until the visualizer is gone. The display function cycles through the players display settings in the "Display" settings. I guess you could just set the correct one there to not show the visualizer, but I kind of like having the choice and I'm finding the SB3 remote much better for the boom than the one that came with it.

This is from memory so try it, just don't hold me to it :-)

BTW, the display button also changes the time displays when the Boom is off. It cycles through about 5 different displays. Pretty cool.

Howard

ModelCitizen
2008-10-05, 07:37
The display function cycles through the players display settings in the "Display" settings.
Cheers Howard. That was it. I don't know how I'd forgotten

It cycles through about 5 different displays. Pretty cool.
Or confusing, superfluous and a waste of good alternative functionality..... depending upon how you look at it (IMHO it would be far better for the Now Playing button to toggle the Now Playing screen on and off).

MC

Howard Passman
2008-10-05, 08:30
Or confusing, superfluous and a waste of good alternative functionality..... depending upon how you look at it (IMHO it would be far better for the Now Playing button to toggle the Now Playing screen on and off).

MC

I actually meant when the Boom is off the feature is cool. I agree about when it's on. Seems kinda silly.

Have a great weekend.

Howard

rhino94
2009-02-20, 23:54

Unfortunately the plugin download link doesnt work, also it cant be downloaded from squeezecenter "(Music Information Screen (v4.3.7) - failed"

Anyone got an alternate download link? Google only comes up with old versions.

mherger
2009-02-21, 02:00
> Unfortunately the plugin download link doesnt work, also it cant be
> downloaded from squeezecenter "(Music Information Screen (v4.3.7) -
> failed"

http://www.herger.net/MusicInfoSCR should be reachable again. There was a
DDOS attack going on yesterday, but it seems to be better today. Please
try again.

Michael

toby10
2009-02-21, 03:20
> Unfortunately the plugin download link doesnt work, also it cant be
> downloaded from squeezecenter "(Music Information Screen (v4.3.7) -
> failed"

http://www.herger.net/MusicInfoSCR should be reachable again. There was a
DDOS attack going on yesterday, but it seems to be better today. Please
try again.

Michael

Denial of use of Music Information Screen would be a crime, IMO. :)

Still the best SC plugin out there. Thanks again Micheal. :)

rhino94
2009-02-24, 22:43
Thank you, I have now got it to work.
Just a few comments
I have a QNAP TS-109 where squeezecenter is installed and music library is located.
After installing the plugin it was not easy to set up since 80% of the text where missing in the settings page, for example in the player tab where you should change the scroll down list from basic setting the music info setting, there is just a empty row. If I choose the empty row you get into music info settings, there almost all text is missing but the images are there and the scroll down list is there and when you click the images I was able to set it up correctly anyway.
However there was no option "artist - progressbar" in the same scrolldown

Thanks anyway because now it looks great

mrdorris
2009-03-01, 14:38
"After installing the plugin it was not easy to set up since 80% of the text where missing in the settings page, for example in the player tab where you should change the scroll down list from basic setting the music info setting, there is just a empty row. If I choose the empty row you get into music info settings, there almost all text is missing"

I had the same problem trying to install MusicInfo. Is there anyway to fix this? When I installed the plugin all i did was paste the unzipped musicinfo folder into the squeezecenter\server\plugins folder. Did I miss a step?

Vista Ultimate SP1
SC 7.3.2

here's the info from the squeezecenter settings information tab:

Version: 7.3.2 - 24695 @ Mon Jan 19 18:55:04 PST 2009
Platform: 586
Perl Version: 5.8.8 - MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt
Total Players Recognized: 1

mrdorris
2009-03-04, 14:16
nevermind i got it to work after moving some of the folders around.

MikeekiM
2009-05-27, 22:25
I assume with WHS, I need to RDC in and unzip it into the plugins directory...Correct?

mherger
2009-05-27, 23:39
> I assume with WHS, I need to RDC in and unzip it into the plugins
> directory...Correct?

No, you can use the Extension Downloader (web UI, Settings/Advanced) to
install it remotely.

--

Michael