PDA

View Full Version : RadioTime and USB FM antenna

OhPinchy
2008-09-08, 17:58
I have just installed Radiotime and really like it. I use the Media Center add-in to find and add stations to my presets and then listen to them via my Squeezebox Duet. I'm in Ireland and it's the easiest way I've come across to find stations, add them, and listen to them. It is a pity many of my favourite stations don't work with Squeezecenter (many are RealPlayer streams) or don't work at all (e.g. I can't access many BBC stations due to geo-blocking I think, which is a pity cos I love Radio 1). If there's anything I could be doing to better find or access stations, I'd love to hear about it.

During the demonstration video on www.radiotime.com it briefly showed a USB FM antenna that could be used to pull streams of FM stations via the Radiotime interface. This seems very interesting as it would give me access to those favourite stations that use RealPlayer and would probably boost quality a bit (though Radiotime quality is fine for my ears as I only listen to radio casually).

I couldn't find any more info about the USB FM antenna on RadioTime, here, or elsewhere - has anyone used one and know what it's like and where to get one?

Paul Webster
2008-09-08, 22:50
It is a pity many of my favourite stations don't work with Squeezecenter (many are RealPlayer streams) or don't work at all (e.g. I can't access many BBC stations due to geo-blocking I think, which is a pity cos I love Radio 1). If there's anything I could be doing to better find or access stations, I'd love to hear about it.

This will not fix stations that block output based on where you live, but if you install the AlienBBC plug-in you will find that RealAudio should start working for other stations that need it.

OhPinchy
2008-09-09, 09:57
Great stuff, thanks for that Paul - I'd be delighted to get my local RealPlayer stations working via my Duet.

I've searched for AlienBBC but it's a little tricky to find the latest version. From searching the Wiki I found this installation page (http://www.x2systems.com/alienbbc/installation.html#windows) but it seems a little outdated. Do you know where I can find the latest version to install (I'm running Squeezecenter 7.2 on a Windows Home Server)? Thanks.

bpa
2008-09-09, 10:10
AlienBBC 2.01 for 7.1 works on 7.2.

Use the installer version ( http://www.x2systems.com/alienbbc/AlienBBC-v2.01b1_7.1.exe ) which is the .exe and not the zip.

Because the BBC replaced their "Listen Again" menu in July/August - to bring AlienBBC up to date, there is an Addon ( see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=328690&postcount=133 )which needs to be installed after AlienBBC has been installed.

There will be a new version of AlienBBC shortly which bundles these together.

OhPinchy
2008-09-09, 16:36
Man I have no idea how or why AlienBBC can do it, but all I know is I can now listen to all of my favourite stations by setting them as Presets in RadioTime and I guess AlienBBC takes care of the streaming in the background to worry about the RealPlayer streams etc.

I now have RTE stations and Newstalk 106 (my favourite station!) working as RadioTime presets and I can even listen to BBC Radio 1 (man I love the Essential Mix sessions so that is a big bonus).

If AlienBBC just let me access these stations through its own menu and I had to access other stations separately through RadioTime, that would have been great. The fact that it enables me to listen to everything I want through RadioTime is just bloody brilliant! Thanks a mill for the tip.

In the AlienBBC menus it lists several items under BBC Radio 1 (e.g. Edith Bowman, Sara Cos - Tue, Sara Cox - Wed) in addition to the Listen Live option. What's the story with those additional items, are they links to podcasts or something like that? Is there any way I can link to podcasts of the Radio 1 Essential Mix sessions?

Am delighted with this - it just makes my Duet so much better as its now a full radio solution (i.e. no more trade-off in losing some local stations to gain internet radio access).

bpa
2008-09-09, 16:52
Under AlienBBC menus, for daily programs, the BBC holds episodes of programs for about a week and so for any program there can be up to 7 episodes (i.e. previous broadcast) that can be played.

When you have added the iPlayer Addon the "Listen Again" programs are available is in the AlienBBC menus in "BBC iPlayer Radio " menu.

In addition there is also a menu in AlienBBC for BBC Podcasts which makes it easy to play BBC podcasts as streams rather than having to download. Unfortunately many BBC Radio 1 podcasts are UK only due to performing rights restrictions.

Under AlienBBC Plugin settings you can re-organise the AlienBBC menu (e.g. change order , delete unused stations).

OhPinchy
2008-09-09, 17:05
Wow, that's pretty cool, thanks bpa. I found lots of cool stuff in the BBC iPlayer Radio menu so it's not too bad that I can't listen to the UK only podcasts. Delighted with this setup!