PDA

View Full Version : Why does SlimServer 6.5.4 keep updating itself to SquuezeCenter 7.2?



Face
2008-09-08, 15:13
Hi,

I used to have SC7.2 installed and, for some reason, It could never find/display all of my artists correctly.

So I reverted back to 6.5.4 and rescanned my library and everything was working fine. Then, after a couple of days, I noticed my SB3 was displaying "Your firmware needs to be updated..." and when I checked SlimServer, it had upgraded itself to 7.2 and then most of my artists had disappeared again!

Once again, I reverted back to 6.5.4 and double-checked my settings and "Don't check for updates" was set. Now, tonight I noticed that - once again - SlimServer has been upgraded to 7.2 and - once again - most of my artists are missing.

Does anyone know why this update keeps happening and/or how to stop it happening again?

OR... if anyone knows how to get SC 7.2 to display all of my artists properly then great - I'll stck with SC 7.2!

Many thanks,

Face

mherger
2008-09-08, 15:35
> SlimServer, it had upgraded itself to 7.2 and then most of my artists
> had disappeared again!

SC does _not_ upgrade itself. The firmware can be upgraded if you connect your player to squeezenetwork.com.

Please give us some more information about your system, server.log, scanner.log etc.

--

Michael

Face
2008-09-08, 23:49
Hi Michael,

Thank you for the reply.

I am running Slimserver 6.5.4 (or 7.2 depending on how you look at it) - on a G5 2.5 Mac with Leopard 10.5.4 and 2.5GB RAM.

Where can I find the logs you mentioned? I'll post what they contain.

The software certainly SEEMS to be updating itself - I can't really think of another way to describe what's happening. Slimserver is running 6.5.4 then, without my intervention, is suddenly running 7.2 - which I normally notice because of the firmware message displayed on my SB3.

Thanks again,

Matthew

Nonreality
2008-09-09, 02:55
Hi Michael,

Thank you for the reply.

I am running Slimserver 6.5.4 (or 7.2 depending on how you look at it) - on a G5 2.5 Mac with Leopard 10.5.4 and 2.5GB RAM.

Where can I find the logs you mentioned? I'll post what they contain.

The software certainly SEEMS to be updating itself - I can't really think of another way to describe what's happening. Slimserver is running 6.5.4 then, without my intervention, is suddenly running 7.2 - which I normally notice because of the firmware message displayed on my SB3.

Thanks again,

Matthew

New feature Michael? I'd like to try the auto update feature, where do click in the options? :)

mherger
2008-09-09, 05:19
> I am running Slimserver 6.5.4 (or 7.2 depending on how you look at it)
> - on a G5 2.5 Mac with Leopard 10.5.4 and 2.5GB RAM.

Did you uninstall SC before re-installing SS6 (or the other way around)? Please note that installing SS6 will _not_ remove SC7. As we renamed SS to SC in 7.0 we also started using new path names. Thus a downgrade will leave the newer version in place.

> Where can I find the logs you mentioned? I'll post what they contain.

The exact path is displayed in Settings/Status (in SC7).

> The software certainly SEEMS to be updating itself - I can't really

It doesn't, believe me :-).

--

Michael

mherger
2008-09-09, 05:23
> New feature Michael? I'd like to try the auto update feature, where do
> click in the options? :)

Interesting this topic is coming up now, as we've been discussing it internally yesterday (I've clearly voted against it because I really don't want my music to stop during the party, the alarm clock fail due to nightly upgrade issues etc.). That said we will definitely work on simplifying the update process. As you say, it would be yet another option to disable as quickly as possible ;-).

--

Michael

Face
2008-09-09, 07:52
Hi,

When I removed 7.2, I deleted the PreferencePane for 7.2 and also deleted a preference file (.plsit?) before I installed 6.5.4. Are there some other files I need to be deleting? Perhaps you could let me know and I'll try again.

Many thanks.

mherger
2008-09-09, 09:00
> When I removed 7.2, I deleted the PreferencePane for 7.2 and also
> deleted a preference file (.plsit?) before I installed 6.5.4. Are there
> some other files I need to be deleting? Perhaps you could let me know
> and I'll try again.

Let spotlight search for squeezecenter.

--

Michael

Face
2008-09-14, 05:28
All sorted now - found out how to do a clean install and now everything is working great - even 7.2 with all my artists :)

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Face