PDA

View Full Version : Line In?

garym999
2008-09-08, 10:19
I see that the line in is not a simple amplified connection to the speakers but goes via a full A to D, D to A conversion process.

Does this mean that a local stream connected via the line-in is available to other SBs on the network?

Thinking along the lines of a party where a guests iPod could be connected to Boom but streamed out via all the players in the house.

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-08, 10:22
Does this mean that a local stream connected via the line-in is available to other SBs on the network?

No - that would involve streaming back to SqueezeCenter, which the software cannot do from a client player.

iPhone
2008-09-08, 10:25
I see that the line in is not a simple amplified connection to the speakers but goes via a full A to D, D to A conversion process.

Thinking along the lines of a party where a guests iPod could be connected to Boom but streamed out via all the players in the house.

I could be mistaken on this, but I believe to sync other players to a source the Server has to be involved (SC or SN).

Of course none of this would affect me because no guest of mine is going to control the music at one of My Parties. I do take requests and suggestions at my parties, but if its not on my server its not getting played.

garym999
2008-09-08, 10:29
Something for the wish list then

garym999
2008-09-08, 10:42
This does lead us to other senarios though just thinking out aloud here and not wanting to be flamed think that Sonos can stream from line-in.

I'm considering building a multiroom setup with ceiling based speakers. Up there with them I was planning to install the amp and a reciver. Then control would be via the hand controller.

Thinking this through it would make sense if I could provide 1 or 2 local inputs to the speakers for say an iPod or the TV. Now this could be managed by the amplified but then I lose the integration with the SB controller. Keeping all inputs in the digital domain provides a lot moe flexibility.

Not 100% on the Boom's architecture but I guess a future FW update could include this if it was requested enough.

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-08, 10:58
Not 100% on the Boom's architecture but I guess a future FW update could include this if it was requested enough.

File an enhancement request at bugs.slimdevices.com It sounds like a good idea. I vaguely remember reading of the possibilities of doing this on the beta forum, I seem to remember it's *almost* possible...