PDA

View Full Version : General question(s) on Rhapsody

joeriz
2008-09-08, 07:06
I have never used Rhapsody before but am intrigued, particularly since we can now play it at 192kbps via the various SlimDevices products.

I've looked at their FAQ but I find that the answers there are somewhat nebulous. Perhaps someone can help me...

Does a "Rhapsody to Go" (RTG) membership include the ability to actually download and own an unlimited number of tracks that are yours even if you cancel your memberhsip at some point? Or is purchasing an mp3 from Rhpasody something altogether different from the RTG service? In other words, I'm wondering if the RTG service only allows users to listen to tracks on their portable devices while one has an active Rhapsody membership and if they terminate their membership at some point the tracks expire.

Also, are all Rhapsody downloads/mp3's available at 256kbps?

Thanks,
Joe

radish
2008-09-08, 07:47
My understanding is that there are three offerings:

Regular Rhapsody subscription - stream all you like from their library, pay per month not per track.
Rhapsody To Go - same, but also download those files for portable players. Lots of DRM, everything expires if you stop paying.
Rhapsody MP3 Store - just like Amazon, buy regular non-DRM MP3's at $1 a track (or thereabouts) - unrelated to the subscription service.

Mark W
2008-09-08, 10:44
The Rhapsody to Go tracks will last for 30 days on your portable MP3 player before they expire. The timer is reset whenever you reconnect the player to your computer with the Rhapsody player application running.

I've been using Rhapsody to Go with a Sandisk e280 for about a year now. It works very well, and I'm listening to much more music now than I ever have before. The sound is great, although I'm using "in-the-ear" headphones from Sony that sound much better than the ones that came with the unit (although they weren't expensive ~ $35).

The Rhapsody to go account also let's you listen to Rhapsody via Squeezeboxs. I listen to Rhapsody at home through Squeezenetwork using SB Duet with two Receivers connected to two different audio systems and it's surprising how good it sounds (to my 50 yr old ears anyway...).

joeriz
2008-09-09, 06:23
Thanks, guys.

Joe

azinck3
2008-09-09, 07:37
The Rhapsody to go account also let's you listen to Rhapsody via Squeezeboxs. I listen to Rhapsody at home through Squeezenetwork using SB Duet with two Receivers connected to two different audio systems and it's surprising how good it sounds (to my 50 yr old ears anyway...).

Just to clarify: you don't need the "to-go" service to listen via a Squeezebox -- the regular membership is sufficient. To-go is only necessary if you want to be able to put the music on a portable device.

bopyanker
2008-09-11, 10:24
When you say regular rhapsody you mean rhapsody unlimited right? And yes, they do download purchases at 256k.

teeitup
2008-09-11, 15:38
When I purchase I always "burn" to CD. This gives me .wav files.
I can then rip them to flac and add them to my collection.