PDA

View Full Version : Controller Battery Life

Lyster
2008-09-06, 22:12
I wonder if I have a defective battery or charger. The controller seems to keep a charge only a short period of time (perhaps long enough for one album to play through). Sometimes when I place the controller in its cradle, it actually discharges the battery! Anyone else have these issues? Or should I contact tech support?

finnbrodersen
2008-09-06, 22:31
hi

my controller keeps running for about 2h, a little
to short in my opinion.

maybe it is possible to "think" battery life
of the controller into firmware in the next
versions ?

Finn
Denmark

MickeyG
2008-09-08, 17:47
Lyster and Finn:

The battery life of a Squeezebox Controller should be around 8 or 9 hours running continuously. With power management turning it off when unused, it should last 2-3 times longer than that.

Your units are defective. I need them back in California for further investigation. I will send you a private message to exchange your units for new ones.

Do not contact Tech Support since we will never get your units for diagnosis.

Mickey

susan.brown22@verizon.net
2008-09-08, 19:55
I too have never had the battery last more than 2 hours and i noticed this as soon as i got it hooked up. It's not getting better either :)
s

MickeyG
2008-09-08, 23:12
It appears that there are more than just these two people with Squeezebox Controller batteries that last no more than a few hours. This shouldn't be the case, so we'll need to do some investigating first to get to the bottom of it.

I'll work with the first two posters in this thread for now. The goal is to get those two complete Squeezebox Duets back to California for further analysis. I'll report back progress in this thread when it's available.

Thank you for your patience ....

Mickey

Nautilus
2008-09-09, 02:22
It appears that there are more than just these two people with Squeezebox Controller batteries that last no more than a few hours. This shouldn't be the case, so we'll need to do some investigating first to get to the bottom of it.

Hi,

what should be the expected battery life when power management is turned on, but wi-fi power saving disabled (it doesn't connect to my ZyXEL router with it enabled)? I'm getting around two hours now I think.

If it's not expected, how should I proceed with this matter?

Thanks!

TonyM
2008-09-09, 02:48
I too have a controller that has a shorter battery life than I would've expected. Soon after I got it I noticed that the cradle was not always contacting the controller's charging pins, I had to pack the back of the cradle with a spacer to get the controller to sit forward a little to allow the charging to happen. At first I didn't notice this and resulted in discharging the controller out fully on one occasion. Whether this has subsequently affected the life of the battery I don't know...

I _did_ get in touch with Tech Support and they were very helpful and gave me the go-ahead to get the unit exchanged with the shop I got it from (Amazon UK). However, at this point I felt I could live with it and anyway, I'd already begun experimenting with the I2S outputs of the SB Receiver so I could hardly send the whole thing back to Amazon!

I wasn't going to mention it on here but since something similar has been brought up...

I do wonder though if the full discharge of the battery in fact has weakened it, is this possible?

Thanks,
Tony

essjay
2008-09-09, 11:50
Mickey, I would be willing to bet that many pl have this "problem" . They just havent wandered in here yet to address it. I didnt think of looking here till i had another query. Old batterys arent just a one in a million thing, its got to be a batch issue.
And im sure not going to send my whole music system remote away for a bad battery! Unless you crosship?
Thanks for listening,
s

chrisla
2008-09-09, 12:38
I just figured the 2-3 hours was all it was good for. Certainly never
seen 8-9 hours. I think that's why everyone is clamoring for cradles.
The ones they will have forsale at the BBQ right?

-Chris

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 11:50 AM, essjay
<essjay.3fhhln1220986501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Mickey, I would be willing to bet that many pl have this "problem" .
> They just havent wandered in here yet to address it. I didnt think of
> looking here till i had another query. Old batterys arent just a one in
> a million thing, its got to be a batch issue.
> And im sure not going to send my whole music system remote away for a
> bad battery! Unless you crosship?
> Thanks for listening,
> s
>
>
> --
> essjay
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> essjay's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=19854
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=52131
>
>

ezkcdude
2008-09-09, 12:55
Hmmm...I always thought mine ran down a little too fast. I'm sure it makes a difference whether you leave the display on all the time.

MickeyG
2008-09-09, 23:25
More investigation is needed to get to the bottom of this. Is it batch of bad batteries? Are the battery contacts on the charger not making contact to the bottom of the Squeezebox Controller? Is it a software bug? We're not sure what the root cause of the problem is.

That's why I wanted to get a few Duets sent to California to perform further analysis. I didn't want to get in more than a 2 or 3 to look at just yet.

I don't know whether they'll have cradles for sale at the BBQ on Thursday.

However, I'll be giving a demo of something during the BBQ. Bring your complete Duet (Controller with battery, cradle, Receiver, and AC adapter) over, and we can discuss the battery issue further. Just ask for me.

Mickey

MickeyG
2008-09-09, 23:31
Hi,

what should be the expected battery life when power management is turned on, but wi-fi power saving disabled (it doesn't connect to my ZyXEL router with it enabled)? I'm getting around two hours now I think.

If it's not expected, how should I proceed with this matter?

Thanks!

You have a worst-case situation with active wi-fi draining your battery constantly. I don't think we've checked this specific scenario, so I don't know the answer to your question.

BTW, what version of Squeezebox Controller firmware are you running? I thought the Zyxel router issue was fixed in the latest 7.2 release with firmware r2873.

Or do you have a Zyxel router that we haven't tested with yet? What model number of Zyxel router are you running with which specific version of firmware?

Mickey

Kim.T
2008-09-10, 01:47
The bug report concerning ZyXel is still open : http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7153

Howard Passman
2008-09-10, 01:55
....someday.

Nautilus
2008-09-10, 05:16
You have a worst-case situation with active wi-fi draining your battery constantly. I don't think we've checked this specific scenario, so I don't know the answer to your question.

BTW, what version of Squeezebox Controller firmware are you running? I thought the Zyxel router issue was fixed in the latest 7.2 release with firmware r2873.

Or do you have a Zyxel router that we haven't tested with yet? What model number of Zyxel router are you running with which specific version of firmware?

Mickey

Hi,

I'm running latest 7.2, but as mentioned, the bug concerning ZyXEL routers is still open and postponed to 7.3. Actually the last post in the bug discussion is mine...:) http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7153#c48

The router is ZyXEL 660HW-61 running V3.40(PE.11)| 05.22.2006.

MickeyG
2008-09-10, 14:12
Oh, you're affected by that bug with the Zyxel router. Thanks for the pointer. I've not been following that bug closely enough, I guess. That's been a tough problem to resolve.

In your case, your battery issue could disappear if that bug is fixed and power saving is re-enabled.

Mickey