PDA

View Full Version : Boom and the BBC?

Sb42
2008-09-05, 18:34
Hi All,

Boom may be the ideal item for my mother, but she needs to be able to use it without thinking about a PC, or a LAN, or anything else. She needs to think it's just a clock radio on steroids.

So the question is what BBC feeds can Boom get natively outside of the UK? I don't want to go the Alien BBC route for her with this one, just program some presets and give it to her.

thanks for any help

britindus
2008-09-06, 01:36
thats the issue - Alienbbc is not just the only component

you also install mplayer which is the real player that alienbbc uses

as far as I am aware no one is running any SB product on bbc standalone

So you need a pc !

And you said without a LAN - its internet radio ... you will need some kind of network either wired or wireless to connect to squeezenetwork anyhow

perhaps just wording but maybe your not fully understanding how the componets fit together?

rgds

Simon

bpa
2008-09-06, 01:40
You can receive 5Live, 6Music, BBC7 and 1Xtra on WMA streams outside the UK. You do not need a PC.

All the WMA streams are predefined under Internet Radio/Staff Picks/Webcaster/BBC on both SC and Squeezenetwork.

Outside the UK to listen to live Radio 1-4, Regional and local stations you need a PC and AlienBBC.

For listeners within the UK, Radio 1-4 are also available in WMA and can be played on Boom without a PC.

Sb42
2008-09-06, 05:23
Thanks to you both. I already have an SB3 and run the excellent Alien on it, but that's more than my mother can deal with. I know that the issue is BBC rights and not Boom's capability, but I was just hoping.... ;-)

SteveC
2008-09-21, 03:21
You can get World Service too, don't forget.

Paul Webster
2008-09-21, 03:46
A simple internet radio could well be enough for you.
There are a few models available in USA.
Note though - continued anonymous access to BBC stations from non-UK locations is not something that BBC is guaranteeing. If they do move to a subscription-based service then internet radios might stop working.
If they decide to block all non-UK access you would really be stuck.

BBC have not said that access is to be blocked - but there have been hints about possible need to go subscription-based ... perhaps it depends on where they are with charter renewal negotiations.

frazbo4000
2009-01-14, 13:28
I thought I was buying a simple internet radio so I could listen to the BBC without having to have the computer on.
Sort of makes the radio pointless as I can listen to the BBC from the computer if the computer has to be on to allow me to listen to the radio station I want, grumble grumble

ModelCitizen
2009-01-16, 05:51
I thought I was buying a simple internet radio so I could listen to the BBC without having to have the computer on.
Sort of makes the radio pointless as I can listen to the BBC from the computer if the computer has to be on to allow me to listen to the radio station I want, grumble grumble
If you wanted only a simple internet radio you have bought the wrong product and spent more than you needed to. The Boom is much more than a simple internet radio.

BTW. I listen to the BBC via the Boom when my PC is turned off by connecting to Squeezenetwork instead of SqueezeCenter. I am in the UK.

MC

frazbo4000
2009-01-16, 07:10
Ok, I have got over the fact that I might have been seduced by the boom's good looks and not done my research correctly.

But why cant the boom receive/play BBC Radio 1 etc internationally if other (cheaper) wifi radio's can?

Presumably logitech don't want to install some software on the squezenetwork server???

andyg
2009-01-16, 07:42
On Jan 16, 2009, at 9:10 AM, frazbo4000 wrote:

>
> Ok, I have got over the fact that I might have been seduced by the
> boom's good looks and not done my research correctly.
>
> But why cant the boom receive/play BBC Radio 1 etc internationally if
> other (cheaper) wifi radio's can?
>
> Presumably logitech don't want to install some software on the
> squezenetwork server???

Boom does not have a RealAudio decoder. You can play BBC RA streams
with SqueezeCenter and the AlienBBC plugin.

We can also keep hoping the BBC will come to their senses and make
their WMA streams available worldwide...

Blisteringblue
2009-01-19, 01:59
On Jan 16, 2009, at 9:10 AM, frazbo4000 wrote:
[color=blue]

We can also keep hoping the BBC will come to their senses and make
their WMA streams available worldwide...

Unfortunately we pay our archaic TV Licence Fee for the BBC, you are lucky you can do what you can as it stands now. Not sure of another way to do it though, As I would hate to have adverts on the BBC.

bpa
2009-01-19, 02:39
The BBC licence payers (i.e. UK residents) can get the WMA streams. IIRC it was a parliamentary committee that required BBC to give better service to licence payers and not to extend the free services.

I think I read that BBC have been considering/investigating ways of delivering the UK only services to UK licence holders when they are not in the UK.