X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swayzak
    • Apr 2008

what`s the bass like ?

i do like a big fat low end

this thing might be ok for bedroom but looks a bit weedy .... how`s the bass ?
    Touch x 2, Booms x 2, Squeeze Cntrl on Samsung S9+ (Duet Receiver + Controllers x 2 - semi-retired)
  • Howard Passman
    • Apr 2008

I wouldn't call it "big" or "fat", but then you really can't expect it. I bet with the sub-woofer it's pretty decent.

Howard

Comment

• swayzak
      • Apr 2008

thanks

i guess the issue for me is the convenience of SBB vs inconvenience and cost (but probably better sound) of another SB receiver plus amp + speakers....
      Touch x 2, Booms x 2, Squeeze Cntrl on Samsung S9+ (Duet Receiver + Controllers x 2 - semi-retired)

Comment

• pippin
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by swayzak
        thanks

i guess the issue for me is the convenience of SBB vs inconvenience and cost (but probably better sound) of another SB receiver plus amp + speakers....
        Depends.
        They resisted the temptation to use bass reflex speakers, so you can easily add a subwoofer and use SBB as mid/highrange speakers.
        And it sounds REALLY good.
        As I see it, if you want to replace it with an SBR and active speakers you will have to invest considerably more to get comparable sound.
        ---
        learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
        Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
        at penguinlovesmusic.com
        New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• EnochLight
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by swayzak
          i do like a big fat low end

this thing might be ok for bedroom but looks a bit weedy .... how`s the bass ?
          I just got my Boom today and one of the first things I did was crank the bass up all of the way and bring the tone up a bit. For their size it sounds great - I mean seriously great. Is the bass earth shattering? Of course not - these are small speakers. But for its size it sounds good for a small room or patio.

I'd definitely take advantage of the subwoofer-out with a powered sub if I needed wall shaking bass.

Comment

• androidtopp
            • Aug 2008

I woke up this morning to "Everything In Its Right Place," which was the only good thing that came out of Vanilla Sky (the song use, not the song itself).

Anyway - I am very pleased, in fact amazed, at how good the low end sounds. It's not hugely thumping bass, it's not going to deliver good boom (no pun intended) in "Make Em Say Uhhh," but in the context of most music, it sounds awesome, not out of place - just right.

"Everything In Its Right Place" sounds solid, properly proportioned - So does Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, and The Black Keys, all bands I think benefit from a little more feeling in the low end.

I guess - if you don't expect it to match the 500W, 10" sub in the family room, I think you'll be very happy with it, especially considering the size.
            A Touch + Cambridge DAC Magic has replaced my venerable SB3. May it rest in peace.

http://www.last.fm/user/androidtopp

Comment

• SuperQ
              • Nov 2005

Just got mine setup, much better bass than than my SB3+Super-T+Def tech pro cinema speakers.

The thing that I notice is that the bass shaping stuff does make it a bit boomy at low volume levels. Hopefully you will be able to adjust that in future software releases.

I read the white paper on the boom's audio, amazingly well done.

Comment

Working...