PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox in the news...

Jungle
2008-09-05, 03:18
Roundup of music streamers from 'The Register'...

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/05/roundup_music_streamers/

maggior
2008-09-05, 08:01
This was a real interesting read - thanks for the link. Interesting that Logitech came out on top. I wasn't aware that Roku was still pushing music streamers. I haven't seen them on store shelves here in a while.

The only "dodgy" thing about the review was that the reviewer completely ignored the potential cost of the server for the Logitech solution when comparing it to the Sonos. I'm sure Sonos fans will scream "foul". Yeah, if you have a desktop PC, it's not a stretch to add SC to it. But if you are a laptop only user (which I think many families are now), you may have to/want to invest in a dedicated server. Though the cost may not be exorbitant, it adds a signficant cost to the solution.

mvalera
2008-09-05, 10:43
Nice... going up on the news (http://www.slimdevices.com/au_news.html) section.

Jungle
2008-09-05, 11:57
Nice... going up on the news (http://www.slimdevices.com/au_news.html) section.

Yes, I really ought to have worked out that it should go there myself. The name somewhat gives it away ;-)

autopilot
2008-09-06, 00:01
Crazy review though. They got the top dog right, but Roku better than a Sono's? Not in a million years. Quite a few errors, omissions and slightly misleading too IMO.

But they are right about one thing, the Squeezebox is the don :)

aubuti
2008-09-06, 08:00
The only "dodgy" thing about the review was that the reviewer completely ignored the potential cost of the server for the Logitech solution when comparing it to the Sonos. I'm sure Sonos fans will scream "foul". Yeah, if you have a desktop PC, it's not a stretch to add SC to it. But if you are a laptop only user (which I think many families are now), you may have to/want to invest in a dedicated server. Though the cost may not be exorbitant, it adds a signficant cost to the solution.
And how is that different from Sonos? If you want to play music from your collection you need a computer running.

Kim.T
2008-09-06, 08:19
And how is that different from Sonos? If you want to play music from your collection you need a computer running.

No you can attach a USB drive directly to the ZP90

maggior
2008-09-06, 08:24
My bad...duh, you're right! I thought Sonos was totally self contained. I guess the difference is you don't need server software on the server running - just share out the files. But you still need a PC or NAS running to share the files!

So yeah, Sonos is REALLY expensive - wow.

I never really looked into Sonos, so I went to the Sonos web site. On the front page I saw the video where they show the lady using the controller. No kidding that thing is awkward! I knew it took two hands to operate it, but I didn't realize just how chunky it was. I think the SB controller is a much more elegant and practical device.

I thought it was wierd too that the soundbridge came out above the Sonos. I guess the Sonos price really left a *really* bad taste in the reviewer's mouth.

aubuti
2008-09-06, 08:31
No you can attach a USB drive directly to the ZP90
I guess I'm not keeping up with what the competitors are doing, as I wasn't aware of the ZP90. But where's the USB port? I don't see it on the Sonos product pages (http://sonos.com/whattobuy/ZP90/), nor any mention of it. In fact a search for USB on Sonos (http://sonos.com/Search/Default.aspx?search=usb) turns up nothing. Maybe it's just bad documentation?

Paul Webster
2008-09-06, 15:35
I don't think that Sonos ships anything with a USB connection.
However, they do have SMB support - so they (and Roku and my ancient Audiotron) attach to a NAS via the network without a computer more easily than a Squeezebox.

While a small number of NAS boxes are open enough to have SqueezeCenter (or perhaps easier ... SlimServer 6) - all consumer NAS support SMB.

Clearly there are significant benefits from having SqueezeCenter running - but it is still a feature that SB is down on compared to much of the market (those without SMB tend to have UPnP-AV) and may well turn away some first time buyers who don't want a machine running 24*7 and don't know about WOL etc

radish
2008-09-06, 15:57
Clearly there are significant benefits from having SqueezeCenter running - but it is still a feature that SB is down on compared to much of the market (those without SMB tend to have UPnP-AV) and may well turn away some first time buyers who don't want a machine running 24*7 and don't know about WOL etc

As has been said before, a NAS running SMB or UPnP is still a "machine", and frequently costs more than a cheap dedicated computer. If people want to run a NAS for some reason, more power to 'em, but the reality is the only difference between an SC server and a Sonos/anything else server is the software. I guess if you already have a NAS and it won't run SC7 then that's one thing, but if you're buying a system from scratch getting one which works with SC shouldn't cost any more, and you save a fortune on the players themselves!

Paul Webster
2008-09-07, 01:21
You are preaching to the converted - but I was talking about the first-time buyer whose research consists of not much more than browsing the shelves in the store and talking to the in-store sales "assistant" and maybe checking a basic product comparison site.
They will see that they need to install something extra to enable them to use a Squeezebox to listen to their own music (they won't have heard of mp3tunes).

Are there any other products in the consumer network music player market that have such a strong requirement for it.

The user guide for the recent products (Boom, Duet) recognise this by making it clear that SqueezeCenter is optional - as opposed the SB3 documentation that has downloading SlimServer as a first step (and not optional).
This is good for those that research more deeply.

Maybe the next model could include a bit more memory (if needed) and a faster processor (if needed) and a UPnP-AV renderer.
I know the argument ("Slim" mean lightweight player - server software is more open and provides much higher functionality).
But I am NOT suggesting replacing the current abilities but to help remove a competitive disadvantage which should lead to more entry-level sales which should in turn lead to more repeat purchases.

zingo
2008-09-07, 03:33
I think that a rebranded NAS with slimcenter preinstalled sould be part of the offering. Espaecally now with both Duet and Boombox in the offering the devices are on it's way into minds of the public. Having a NAS-SlimCenter device is part of the "whole" solution and you can tell people like my Father to buy both and plug it in drag&drop his music from his computer and he is ready to go.

Reading these forum it's seems like UPnP is on it's way to be supported.

/Zingo

Paul Webster
2008-09-07, 03:48
Reading these forum it's seems like UPnP is on it's way to be supported.

Any pointers to that?
UPnP is supported in SqueezeCenter in that it can connect to a UPnP-AV server and and make the streams available to the SB player - but I had not noticed more than that.

peter
2008-09-07, 11:22
Paul Webster wrote:
> zingo;337608 Wrote:
>
>> Reading these forum it's seems like UPnP is on it's way to be supported.
>>
>
> Any pointers to that?
> UPnP is supported in SqueezeCenter in that it can connect to a UPnP-AV
> server and and make the streams available to the SB player - but I had
> not noticed more than that.
>

I think I saw an SD employee mention it.

Smart move, although I won't be using it.

Regards,
Peter

zingo
2008-09-07, 14:30
Here is one UPnP Forum link...
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=51266

Paul Webster
2008-09-07, 15:51
Thanks for that - I definitely hadn't noticed it before.

Espen
2008-09-07, 23:24
Since the article mentions that the Sonos cradle is expensive. Is it a remote chance to buy an extra charger for the Duet by now? The reason why I want one is that the DHCP server at home can at times be very reluctant to hand out an IP address some times which is pretty irritating in the morning when the controller has been away from its home all night.