PDA

View Full Version : "LAME" What is it? Why do I need it?

WilCox
2008-09-04, 19:28
When adjusting player settings in SqeezeCenter 7.2, I see the following:

"(Note: You do not appear to have LAME installed. SqueezeCenter will need the LAME MP3 encoder installed on your system to do conversion to MP3. You can find out more about LAME here.)"

I use iTunes on a Windows system and all of my files are Apple Lossless.

Questions:

1. Why do I need LAME?

2. What does it do?

3. I have downloaded the LAME tar.gz file, but what do I need to do to install it?

4. Where should "LAME Quality Level" be set for best sound quality?

Sorry for so many lame questions, but I can't find answers in the help or FAQ files.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

radish
2008-09-04, 19:42
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/LAMEForTranscoding

WilCox
2008-09-05, 04:55
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/LAMEForTranscoding

Thanks, Radish.

Best I can determine from reading this info (and related links) is that LAME will convert uncompressed wireless streaming files to MP3 which implies that I will no longer be hearing lossless files on my 5 SqueezeBoxes, right?

If everything is working fine right now (and it is) why would I want to move to a lossy (MP3) format? Maybe I'm missing something.

pippin
2008-09-05, 05:19
Because you might want to stream to something that doesn't support lossless, using the stream.mp3 functionality.

4mula1
2008-09-05, 05:49
I use Lame to transcode my flac file to mp3 for streaming from home to work because my bandwidth can't support streaming flac. Transcoding is set on a per-player basis, and is by default set to not transocde. If you're at work and using Softsqueeze but don't have the bandwidth to stream lossless set the bitrate limiting for that player only and your music will be converted from lossless to mp3.

If you use the stream.mp3 you will obviously need Lame for that.

WilCox
2008-09-05, 17:17
I use Lame to transcode my flac file to mp3 for streaming from home to work because my bandwidth can't support streaming flac. Transcoding is set on a per-player basis, and is by default set to not transocde. If you're at work and using Softsqueeze but don't have the bandwidth to stream lossless set the bitrate limiting for that player only and your music will be converted from lossless to mp3.

If you use the stream.mp3 you will obviously need Lame for that.

Thanks! This makes sense now.

Mnyb
2008-09-05, 21:37
You can also have poor bandwidth at home so you need transcoding, many players on the same wireless AP, or one very far from the AP with marginal reception.

Or you still have the original slimp3 player, it does not support as many file formats as the new players.

HydeTheDarkerSide
2008-11-22, 08:39
Sorry, dumb question...

I downloaded 3.98.2 but there's nothing in the zip file to tell me what to do with lame.exe and the libndfile-1.dll (whatever that does :-?? )

How do I install these please? The wiki just says install it without any instructions as to how.

Thanks
Hyde.

bonze
2008-11-22, 08:50
Sorry, dumb question...

I downloaded 3.98.2 but there's nothing in the zip file to tell me what to do with lame.exe and the libndfile-1.dll (whatever that does :-?? )

How do I install these please? The wiki just says install it without any instructions as to how.

Thanks
Hyde.For windows the wiki says:
Extract LAME.EXE from the zip archive you download and place it in C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\server\bin

HydeTheDarkerSide
2008-11-22, 09:38
Do'h!

Do I copy the dll file there too?

Phil Leigh
2008-11-22, 10:27
Do'h!

Do I copy the dll file there too?

SC doesn't need the dll.

HydeTheDarkerSide
2008-11-22, 10:53
Cheers, all now working thank-you :)

MrSinatra
2008-11-24, 06:02
of course, why install it if you don't need it?

i use it to let friends check out a song in my SC on their computer, via the net. they get 128 kbps.

it would be nice if SC handled that more elegantly, but neat nonetheless.