PDA

View Full Version : How many SS 6.* users vs. SC 7.* users?

Rick B.
2008-09-04, 09:20
As a 6.5.4 SS user I'm feeling kind of forgotten these days. New and updated plugins are only addressing SC7 and not SS6 users.

Does anyone have stats on how many users there are for 6 vs. 7?

exile
2008-09-04, 09:24
you remind me of my father who clung to mac os 9 for about two years after the release of osx.

take the plunge on ss7.x

the improvements are many and varied and you will almost instantly forget all about ss 6.5.4

good luck.

iPhone
2008-09-04, 09:39
As a 6.5.4 SS user I'm feeling kind of forgotten these days. New and updated plugins are only addressing SC7 and not SS6 users.

Does anyone have stats on how many users there are for 6 vs. 7?

I think you need a Poll not a thread. Using a thread means that you would have to count every answer. Using a Poll gives you both. But here is a clue, anybody that has a Duet or a Boom "HAS" to be on SC 7.X something.

I am on SC 7.2 as I have a Boom and a Duet (although my big Linux NAS that my TP is on is still running SS 6.5.4. but only until I test and am happy with the Ubuntu build).

erland
2008-09-04, 09:39
New and updated plugins are only addressing SC7 and not SS6 users.

The problem is that 6.x plugins are very different from 7.x plugins, so any developer that likes to offer a 7.x plugin also for 6.x would need to maintain two different versions of the plugin code.

The only reason I can see to remain on 6.x are:
- Your system works perfectly and you don't need any new features
- Your are running SqueezeCenter on low resource hardware and can't use any version greater than 6.3.x where the SQLite database was used.

Rick B.
2008-09-04, 11:06
I think you need a Poll not a thread.).

I was hoping that someone from Logitech could advise the total numbers. Perhaps they can't.

iPhone
2008-09-04, 11:39
I was hoping that someone from Logitech could advise the total numbers. Perhaps they can't.

Hi Rick,
I can see no way that Logitech would even know. I have a copy of SC 7.2 (in every version) that I downloaded to a 4 GB USB drive from the Slim Devices website and have installed it on so many PCs I couldn't even tell you the number.

A poll is the only way I can think of to get numbers and they will be incomplete due to non voters and non Forum members. A poll would give you a ratio to work off of though.

Aztek
2008-09-04, 18:05
I use 6.5.4 and it works fine. Every time I turn on my SB3 it works (except once recently when my power supply failed) and the music sounds great. The few plugins that I use are more than enough for me.

So....I'm curious - what is the compelling reason for me to upgrade the software and firmware that already serves me well? What can I expect to be different? Will there be a new music experience waiting for me after the upgrade? Will I be able to upgrade from 6.5.4 to SC7.x seamlessly without mucking around trying to get it working the way is was before I upgraded?

Cheers

iPhone
2008-09-05, 04:50
I use 6.5.4 and it works fine. Every time I turn on my SB3 it works (except once recently when my power supply failed) and the music sounds great. The few plugins that I use are more than enough for me.

So....I'm curious - what is the compelling reason for me to upgrade the software and firmware that already serves me well? What can I expect to be different? Will there be a new music experience waiting for me after the upgrade? Will I be able to upgrade from 6.5.4 to SC7.x seamlessly without mucking around trying to get it working the way is was before I upgraded?

Cheers

I can't make any promises, but I upgraded from SS 6.5.4 with no issues. If you are happy with SS you don't HAVE to upggrade. If you buy a Duet, SBR, SBC, or Boom, you would have to upgrade as they require SC.

Is SC going to change your music or the way you enjoy it? Overall not really. The main thing is the new equipment requires it, they are new features only available with SC 7.X, and syncing multiple players works much better.

Peter314
2008-09-05, 14:21
I was running 6.5.4 and had occasional dropouts. Changing wireless router settings never solved this problem, so I tried a clean install of 7.1. Everything has been rock solid since. Even running multiple SBs and with signal strength 40-50% in the kitchen, all is fine. I'm now one very happy customer :)