PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Boom FAQ

Caleb Crome
2008-09-03, 15:06
The new Squeezebox Boom FAQ is located here

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Boom_FAQ

Will you all give me a hand and start filling it in?

Try to cover all the things that we've already answered in the forum here, so we don't have to answer again.

(I know that people are supposed to search the forums first, but it can be daunting to find the tidbit of information you need in the giant mass of 'the forums').

Thanks!

-Caleb

radish
2008-09-03, 15:34
Good idea - we should probably do something similar for the other players. Added a few salient points :)

ccrome2
2008-09-03, 23:28
On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 3:34 PM, radish <
radish.3f6nsb1220481302 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> Good idea - we should probably do something similar for the other
> players. Added a few salient points :)
>

=== Miscellaneous ===
'''Q. Who is the Boom King?'''

A. Caleb is the Boom King.

Good one radish :-)

That gave us a good chuckle. I decided I should probably remove it though
to keep things on the FAQ a little more professional.

-C

>
>
> --
> radish
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> radish's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=77
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=51954
>
>

funkstar
2008-09-04, 05:40
That gave us a good chuckle. I decided I should probably remove it though
to keep things on the FAQ a little more professional.

Q: Does it shake the room?
A: Providing you connect an external subwoofer, yes it does.

I'me guessing that wouldn't be a good idea either yeah?

dean
2008-09-04, 07:22
No, that's a good one, but could be elaborated upon.

We've already seen one blogger worry that Boom doesn't have much bass
because there's a subwoofer out. Making that clear on the wiki is
important.

Boom has amazing bass for such a small box, but only to a moderate
loudness. If you like to shake the room, an inexpensive subwoofer is
all you need.

On Sep 4, 2008, at 5:40 AM, funkstar wrote:

>
> ccrome2;336438 Wrote:
>> That gave us a good chuckle. I decided I should probably remove it
>> though
>> to keep things on the FAQ a little more professional.
>>
> Q: Does it shake the room?
> A: Providing you connect an external subwoofer, yes it does.
>
> I'me guessing that wouldn't be a good idea either yeah?
>
>
> --
> funkstar
> funkstar's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2335
>
>

MeSue
2008-09-04, 07:52
A question I have seen asked that isn't in the FAQ is whether additional AC power adapters will be offered as an accessory. Personally, I would like to see this as an accessory. I hope you are considering it.

Club1820
2008-09-04, 09:55
Boom has amazing bass for such a small box, but only to a moderate
loudness. If you like to shake the room, an inexpensive subwoofer is
all you need.

So does this mean then that the Boom would not be a good option to use in the garage while washing the car? Playing the Boom loudly?

ccrome2
2008-09-04, 10:03
On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Club1820 <
Club1820.3f82xz1220547603 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> dean;336529 Wrote:
> > Boom has amazing bass for such a small box, but only to a moderate
> > loudness. If you like to shake the room, an inexpensive subwoofer is
> >
> > all you need.
>
> So does this mean then that the Boom would not be a good option to use
> in the garage while washing the car? Playing the Boom loudly?
>
> It still has very good bass when it's loud, just not *amazing*. :-) It
gets plenty loud enough to listen to in the garage when washing your car.

-C

iPhone
2008-09-04, 10:08
So does this mean then that the Boom would not be a good option to use in the garage while washing the car? Playing the Boom loudly?

The Boom gets pretty loud. But I believe the DSP attempts to keep the audio from distorting to the point of driver damage. So unlike a boombox that will get so loud with distortion that it is really just noise, the boom starts to limit the bass (first to distort) as the volume level approaches maximum. Caleb could answer if adding a subwoofer disables this issue.

In my opinion, if the Boom is in the garage pointed out toward the garage door opening, the Boom will be plenty loud enough to wash your car unless your car washing location is under Niagara Falls. I know the Boom is louder then having my car stereo on with the windows up while washing my car!

EnochLight
2008-09-04, 10:26
In the FAQ where it addresses use outside:

"Q. Can I use the Squeezebox Boom outside?

A. Squeezebox Boom is not designed for use in direct sunlight. It is designed for a maximum ambient temperature of 40 C (104 F)."

...I feel it would be prudent to mention that use in the shade would be fine, as it is pictured in your advertising shots as being used outside by the poolside. Perhaps mention the max temp and non-condensing humidity points but definitely mention that it *CAN* be used outside. I for one plan to use mine on the deck (in the shade) and I'm sure a huge part of the Boom's intended customers would like to do the same.

Just my 2 cents!

Cheers,

EnochLight

Club1820
2008-09-04, 12:42
iPhone & Ccrome2, thanks for the response.

I primarily would use it in the bedroom, - but would take it out to the garage occasionally while working there. Good to know it would do fine.

Thanks.

Sprydle
2008-09-08, 16:22
Would definitely say that its suitable for outside usage - that's primarily why I bought mine - windows open and binoculars to see the display on my SB3 in the living-room just wasn't cutting it. :0)

pski
2008-10-07, 17:17
So can I select a remote IP manually so I can stream from home to anywhere? (Given a Holy Modem at Home.)

P

iPhone
2008-10-07, 17:37
So can I select a remote IP manually so I can stream from home to anywhere? (Given a Holy Modem at Home.)

P

Look in the WIKI. I believe any Slim Device (know all the new ones can) be used remotely over the Internet with the proper setup to see your home server. If you just want music and have an Internet connection log onto SqueezeNetwork.

The safe way of course is with a Static IP address for the remote location. You only allow that static IP to have access to and from specific ports. That makes it faily safe and ones home connection and server don't have to be wide open just to play remotely.

erland
2008-10-07, 22:56
The safe way of course is with a Static IP address for the remote location. You only allow that static IP to have access to and from specific ports. That makes it faily safe and ones home connection and server don't have to be wide open just to play remotely.
Anyone reading this, please don't ignore this, it's REALLY important.

If you search on Google you can find squeezecenter installations totally open (even without password protection) which means that anyone (without deeper knowledge) can change tracks on your player and download all your music and anyone with some deeper knowledge can also gain access to your computer and delete all your music files or do even worse things.

Using static IP and configure your router or squeezecenter to filter on those IP will make it a bit harder for someone to gain access, but if you really want to feel even safer you should combine this with tunneling through ssh, vpn or similar solution.

pski
2008-10-08, 18:27
Look in the WIKI. I believe any Slim Device (know all the new ones can) be used remotely over the Internet with the proper setup to see your home server. If you just want music and have an Internet connection log onto SqueezeNetwork.

Looking in the instruction book, there are indications that the SC and Boom must be on the same network segment...

Thanks for your help.

Mark Miksis
2008-10-08, 23:29
Looking in the instruction book, there are indications that the SC and Boom must be on the same network segment...

This is implied by the documentation, but is not true. Different IP subnets are fine.

pski
2008-10-09, 19:02
This is implied by the documentation, but is not true. Different IP subnets are fine.

I don't mean to split hair but there is a difference between "different IP subnets" and a TOTALLY different network.

Different IP subnets are governed by the subnet mask.

Different networks require the specification of a complete IP target in this case.

P

Mark Miksis
2008-10-10, 05:17
I don't mean to split hair but there is a difference between "different IP subnets" and a TOTALLY different network.

Different IP subnets are governed by the subnet mask.

Different networks require the specification of a complete IP target in this case.

I'm not sure I really agree with your distinction, but my point was this:

On both the Boom and SB classic you can enter any IP address, public or private, for an SC instance and it will work fine as long as a route exists to that destination. I don't have an SBR, but I assume the same is true if you use Net-UDAP.

digitaria
2008-12-01, 04:44
Question, which I don't think is answered in the FAQ - if an Ethernet lead is plugged into the Boom, is the wireless automatically deactivated? Or can the wireless be switched off manually?

This question probably applies to other Slim Devices also, but the Boom is likely to be sitting very close to your head if you locate it in a bedroom and you might not want radio energy being generated so close to you for prolonged periods.

TIA

funkstar
2008-12-01, 08:46
Question, which I don't think is answered in the FAQ - if an Ethernet lead is plugged into the Boom, is the wireless automatically deactivated? Or can the wireless be switched off manually?

This question probably applies to other Slim Devices also, but the Boom is likely to be sitting very close to your head if you locate it in a bedroom and you might not want radio energy being generated so close to you for prolonged periods.
As with all the Squeeze devices, the wireless is switched off when an ethernet connection is selected. An ethernet cable can be plugged in and the device still set to use wireless during initial setup. But once it is connected on ethernet the wireless card is turned off.

On the radio signals issue, switch that cell phone off first! :)

Ben Sandee
2008-12-01, 09:32
> On the radio signals issue, switch that cell phone off first! :)

Or at the very least, stop using your iPhone as an iPillow.

Ben

IRJ
2008-12-10, 17:39
I just connected the line out of my LCD TV into the Line IN of my SqueezeBox Boom (also tried stereo OUT into Line IN) and I am having VERY LOW AUDIO Volume, even when I put the Boom onto 100% Volume. Is there any fix for this? Or work around.
It's quite disappointing as in regular MP3 and internet radio playing the Boom is great.

ccrome2
2008-12-10, 17:59
You have 3 volume settings:

The volume on your TV
The line-in-volume setting on Squeezebox (Settings->Audio->Line-In Volume)
The main-volume on Squeezebox.

What is each set to?

-Caleb

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 4:39 PM, IRJ
<IRJ.3k8awn1228956003 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> I just connected the line out of my LCD TV into the Line IN of my
> SqueezeBox Boom (also tried stereo OUT into Line IN) and I am having
> VERY LOW AUDIO Volume, even when I put the Boom onto 100% Volume. Is
> there any fix for this? Or work around.
> It's quite disappointing as in regular MP3 and internet radio playing
> the Boom is great.
>
>
> --
> IRJ
> IRJ's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=7031
>
>

IRJ
2008-12-10, 21:00
[QUOTE=ccrome2;368732]You have 3 volume settings:

The volume on your TV
The line-in-volume setting on Squeezebox (Settings->Audio->Line-In Volume)
The main-volume on Squeezebox.

What is each set to?

-Caleb

The TV Volume is set to Mute and in any case changing that volume doesn't appear to have effect on the Boom.

Ahh I didn't realise the Line IN had a separate volume control to the Boom itself. I will go and play with this and report back. Had to bel;ieve I was missing something!
Thanks

hazymat
2008-12-29, 07:38
One of the best written, most concise, and most informational FAQs I have ever read about a product.

I am a complete obsessive when it comes to some of the details the writers went into on that FAQ, (especially info about residual noise from speakers!) and all my questions were answered perfectly.

Thank you! Now to buy one...

bigchris
2009-04-22, 05:03
The new Squeezebox Boom FAQ is located here

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Boom_FAQ

-Caleb

I just tried to read the FAQ and am getting a browser error that it can't establish a connection to the web page. PC is working fine otherwise, so is this URL outdated?

Kevint
2009-04-22, 10:19
I just tried to read the FAQ and am getting a browser error that it can't establish a connection to the web page. PC is working fine otherwise, so is this URL outdated?

A little slow to load but works for me.

Kevin

bigchris
2009-04-22, 10:42
Yep it's working now.

vs27
2011-01-20, 15:20
I saw in the Wiki for the Boom that the headphone jack was also a sub-woofer output. Has anyone done this and what sub was used?

aubuti
2011-01-20, 15:26
I saw in the Wiki for the Boom that the headphone jack was also a sub-woofer output. Has anyone done this and what sub was used?
Many people, many subs. Too many to summarize here. The forums' search engine isn't perfect, but it's a huge help for things like this. Search on "subwoofer" in the Boom forum and you get this: http://forums.slimdevices.com/search.php?searchid=4274030

You may also want to search on "sub-woofer" or just "sub".

WAD62
2011-01-21, 02:54
Many people, many subs. Too many to summarize here. The forums' search engine isn't perfect, but it's a huge help for things like this. Search on "subwoofer" in the Boom forum and you get this: http://forums.slimdevices.com/search.php?searchid=4274030

You may also want to search on "sub-woofer" or just "sub".

It is indeed a sub-out (or even a pre out if you want to use it as a receiver), I've used it with an active logitech sub (from a Z4 2.1 setup), and it does help a bit...but one is rather urinating in a stiff breeze!

However if you really want to improve the sound IMHO, take the pre out to an amp and add some proper speakers ;)

Phil Leigh
2011-01-21, 04:19

Yeah - I use the Headphone/LINE OUT of the Boom to drive a sub permanently - in my case it's a cheap Creative computer sub, but it works in my kitchen.
There's a wide variety of inexpensive subs that could be used..

MikeekiM
2011-01-30, 11:08
I am also driving a sub (Polk Audio) from my Boom, and it makes quite a difference...

I wish I could also have line-in at the same time so I can hook up my iPod nano from time-to-time...but it's just a low "want"...

toby10
2011-01-30, 11:19
I am also driving a sub (Polk Audio) from my Boom, and it makes quite a difference...

I wish I could also have line-in at the same time so I can hook up my iPod nano from time-to-time...but it's just a low "want"...

Line In and Line Out are two separate inputs, they cannot be used at the same time?

BlueCharge
2012-03-11, 06:00
n/a - sorry :-)

mherger
2012-03-11, 22:05
> Plug-in is properly installed.

How do you know? Anything particular in the server.log file?

--

Michael