PDA

View Full Version : Damp Environments

fuzzyT
2008-09-03, 14:11
I was wondering how the Boom would stand up to damp environments. Mostly I'm worried about the speaker cones.

I've got one on order. Currently unclear as to whether it will live in the dining room, bedroom or bathroom. But if I like it (and I expect to) it's likely that we will be a multi-Boom household.

We now have an old boom box radio in the bathroom, and it's done OK. It doesn't get wet, but it does get steamy in there when showering. I haven't worried too much about it, mostly as it is *ahem* 'fully depreciated' at this point.

So, any thoughts on how the Boom might fare in there?

Or should I just wait for the 'Boom - Marine Edition'?

radish
2008-09-03, 14:14
I've used mine in the bathroom on occasion, it's been fine. Caleb warned that it's not designed for condensing moisture, and so I personally wouldn't risk it if it's really steamy. When I've had it in there it's been during baths so there's not really any steam.

dean
2008-09-03, 14:45
I have one in the new bathroom which builds up a lot of steam.

One nice benefit of an always-on product is that it's dissipating a
bit of energy all the time (6-8 watts or so), so it's a little warmer
than the air around it, which means less condensation. In fact, I
don't think I've ever seen any condensation on it at all.

As we said, it's not designed for damp environments, but mine seems to
be doing nicely in there...

iPhone
2008-09-04, 08:02
So, any thoughts on how the Boom might fare in there?

Or should I just wait for the 'Boom - Marine Edition'?

Some folks have networks on their boats, but I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for a "Marine Boom".

I have used my Boom in the bathroom almost everyday for over two months. I have not noticed any ill effects, YMMV. The GFI has never tripped but the Boom has never been soaked with water either. I have not noticed any moisture build-up on the Boom either. The thing I might even worry about was the grills and maybe the driver cones.

Caleb or Dean would be able to shed some light on grill and driver material. I think the woofers are safe.

fuzzyT
2008-09-04, 08:12
iPhone wrote:

> Some folks have networks on their boats, but I wouldn't hold my breathe
> waiting for a "Marine Boom".

Heh, I was more or less kidding about the "Marine Boom". Although I
could see a market for a more water-resistant version intended for decks
and patios.

Thanks for the replies. This was about what I expected to hear. Once a
bit of the 'shiny' wears off, I'll give it a go. And I expect the
community will be able to give more feedback once the Boom has been on
the market for more than a matter of days.

--rt

MrMike6by9
2010-08-09, 14:08
My suggestion would be to pipe the audio to an A/V receiver and use Outdoor speakers in the bathroom. I have my bathroom as a zone on my receiver.

You only need to run the speaker wire, so there's a much reduced risk of electrical issues and the only parts exposed to high humidity are built to take it.

YMMV