PDA

View Full Version : Running SqueezeCenter on a "mini-laptop"?

jclyle
2008-09-03, 09:10
I've seen a lot of these low power, small form factor laptops popping up, with Dell releasing theirs tomorrow. Can these machines efficiently run SlimServer? Storage might be an issue, can SqueezeCenter stream from an external drive?

andynormancx
2008-09-03, 09:41
Can these machines efficiently run SlimServer?

Storage might be an issue, can SqueezeCenter stream from an external drive?
Yes and yes.

jclyle
2008-09-03, 09:43
Is anyone using these machines for streaming? I'm trying to move away from a desktop server and am looking for something smaller (and quieter)

carrera
2008-09-04, 06:51
Hi,

i'm not using a mini laptop, but an old one. (Compaq EVO N610C, 1,8GHZ) which should be in the range the new minis are.

I'm using this computer only for SC, and everything works fine; WOL is also working.

The only problem I had was the USB HDD. First I tried a 500MB 3,5" external. (My library is about 260GB) With that one I had the prob that the HDD sometimes went to a sleep mode, which originaly is good, but it didn't wake up when wanted to hear my music.

What i'm using now is an 2,5" 320GB Samsung HDD in an external enclosure, but not seperately powered, so this disk shuts off, when the laptop is shutting down automatically at night, and wakes up together with the WOL, when i power on any of my SB3.

Ofcourse i made another partition of this disc for my network storage.

So i would say, go for it, but don't forget to try if your plaaned HDD workes perfect together with the USB. ( you could use a powerd usb hub for any 2,5" HDD, but in this case, your HDD will not shut down together with your laptop)

kind regards

carrera

jclyle
2008-09-04, 06:56
Thanks ro your response! I think im going to get a Netgeat ReadyNAS duo and see how that works out. That will help eliminate my desktop as a server. Then get a laptop down the road. the mini laptops don't have much power/storage for ripping and encoding music so i'll still need something with power.