PDA

View Full Version : Can't remote stream files with special characters

maggior
2008-09-03, 08:03
I remote stream from my music server at work every day. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that files that have special characters in them (accent marks, umlauts (sp?), etc.) will not play.

I first noticed this with Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene (which has accents over the e's). Today, I tried to play a Queensryche song, but it wouldn't play due to the umlaut over the y.

They play fine on my squeezebox - it is only an issue with remote streaming.

The behavior is that that track will start to play and is then skipped. Squeezecenter just moves onto the next song.

On the remote end, I've tried foobar2k, WMP, and Songbird as players thinking perhaps it was an issue there. None of those players make any difference.

Anybody else run into this? Is there a workaround aside from renaming/retagging my files to remove the special characters?

Thanks!

radish
2008-09-03, 08:11
I think this was discussed a while ago (possibly in a different context). The conclusion was that it was the transcoding step (typically remote streaming using bandwidth limiting via lame) - I'm not sure if a bug ever got filed though. It might be lame itself barfing on the extended char, or it might be SC's command line invocation of it.

4mula1
2008-11-26, 18:13
I found that only Softsqueeze (3.6) barfs on special characters. Using stream.mp3 I can stream Queensryche (with the umlaut) to WMP with the bitrate set to 128kbps. I can also stream to my SB3 with it transcoded to 128kbps. Only softsqueeze fails to play. I was going to file a bug, but with Softsqueeze set to be deprectated, does it even matter?

radish
2008-11-26, 20:27
To be honest, I wouldn't bother. If it continues to be an issue with SqueezePlay then that's a different matter!

4mula1
2008-11-27, 06:21
To be honest, I wouldn't bother. If it continues to be an issue with SqueezePlay then that's a different matter!

Agreed. The only way I found the problem was by doing a search for Queensryche. It turned up four threads (!) and this was one of them. I had to try it for myself and found it only seemed affect Softsqueeze. Otherwise I'm not sure I would've found it for quite some time.