PDA

View Full Version : Plug it in. Turn it on. Rock the house.

Khuli
2008-09-03, 02:06
I was disappointed not to see a Spinal Tap reference being used on the SD homepage for the new Boom... maybe this product isn't aimed at (old) people who would know them?

"You don't do heavy metal in Dubly, you know."

GlenL
2008-09-03, 03:15
It should have had a volume knob that goes up to 11 and the advertising slogan should have been "Don't touch it !!, Don't even point at it !"

A missed opportunity I feel :-(

;-)

maggior
2008-09-03, 07:33
You could also tie in a Stonehenge reference in there to speak to the unexpected small stature of the Boom (though in the Boom scenario, it wasn't a mistake).

Michaelwagner
2008-09-03, 14:03
In some older version of the code, the volume did go to 11. I think it was removed because it confused too many people.

androidtopp
2008-09-03, 14:26
I figured that was Logitech coming along to steal all the fun away.

My SqueezeCenter still displays the volume from 1-11 in the upper right corner...but the player goes from 1-100, IIRC. I'll have to look at that tonight. I leave the player locked at full and turn the master volume up and down, so it's not something I fiddle with often.

GlenL
2008-09-03, 18:39
In some older version of the code, the volume did go to 11. I think it was removed because it confused too many people.

Really :-)

Continuing the Spinal Tap references then, perhaps the advertising slogan should have been "One Louder" :-)

mherger
2008-09-04, 00:58
> In some older version of the code, the volume did go to 11. I think it
> was removed because it confused too many people.

The web UI still uses 11 steps, doesn't it? (But people keep asking for finer control - enjoy as long as it's still there :-))

--

Michael

Khuli
2008-09-09, 01:42
You could also tie in a Stonehenge reference in there to speak to the unexpected small stature of the Boom (though in the Boom scenario, it wasn't a mistake).

David St. Hubbins: I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the band was down. I think that the problem *may* have been, that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being *crushed* by a *dwarf*. Alright? That tended to understate the hugeness of the object.

Ian Faith: I really think you're just making much too big a thing out of it.

Derek Smalls: Making a big thing out of it would have been a good idea.

Khuli
2008-09-09, 01:47

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...

Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?

Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.

Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?

Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?

Marty DiBergi: I don't know.

Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.

Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

androidtopp
2008-09-09, 06:34
Maybe we could use the "goes to 11" thing as a sort of litmus test? Are you with us? Or against us? ;-)

iPhone
2008-09-09, 07:38
Maybe we could use the "goes to 11" thing as a sort of litmus test? Are you with us? Or against us? ;-)

I say we get rid of Zero and start at One, that way the last number is 12 and we have the highest volume plus we guard against those that would attempt to be as loud by making theirs go to 11 (future proofing).

androidtopp
2008-09-09, 13:49
Good idea. But let's take it to its natural conclusion - why would we ever want to not be at 11? So surely an 11 to 22 scale would be best.