PDA

View Full Version : Why No Squeezebox Duet?

NFLnut
2008-09-02, 22:55
I am finally thinking about bringing a "new one" into the family .. Squeezebox that is. I have been looking at that new overpriced "remote control" -- the Controller -- and would never consider spending $299 for it alone, but MIGHT consider the Duet just because it also adds another player. However, I would only want to have a Squeezebox Duet because I prefer also having a display on the unit itself.

So .. why is there no such item? Any plans to make it happen?

gharris999
2008-09-02, 23:09
The Duet is in fact two products sold bundled together: the "overpriced remote control" (aka SqueezeBox Controller [SBC]) plus the displayless SqueezeBox Receiver (SBR). You can buy the SBR alone, without the Controller, but you'll need some command-line configuration prowess to get it set up. See this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43722. That IS the cheapest way to add a SB player if 1) you already own another SqueezeBox product and 2) if you're prepared to control your "SBC-less SBR" via a web interface on a computer, or iPhone or some such.

If you want a unit with a display and don't want an SBC, why not just by a SqueezeBox Classic (aka SB3)?

PS: that "overpriced remote control" is totally worth it's price IMHO.

Edit: OK I think I misunderstood your question. Is what you are asking for a price break on a SBC+SB3 purchase? That sounds interesting. SlimDevices could run a promotion offering a discount on a SBC when purchased with a new SB3, Transporter or Boom. Might not be a bad way to sell a few more SBCs.

NFLnut
2008-09-02, 23:23
Edit: OK I think I misunderstood your question. Is what you are asking for a price break on a SBC+SB3 purchase? That sounds interesting. SlimDevices could run a promotion offering a discount on a SBC when purchased with a new SB3, Transporter or Boom. Might not be a bad way to sell a few more SBCs.

That's EXACTLY what I want. I will eventually buy another Squeezebox (classic, I guess you kids call it these days). If I could get a "deal" on a Controller, especially now that I'll have two Squeexeboxen, then I might bite. After all, they ARE giving a $49 price break on the receiver, they SHOULD give a break on the SB Classic and Controller too. Although it would have to be greater than $49 to get my interest (the SB Classic being $150 more $$$).

Otherwise, I will NOT consider buying one of those "overpriced remote controls!" ;-)