PDA

View Full Version : How do you restart SqueezeCenter?

MeSue
2008-09-02, 10:49
Seems like this should be obvious, but I seem to have difficulty with it. I run SC on a headless HP MediaSmart server. When I need to restart SqueezeCenter, it never seems to work properly. I assume I must be doing it wrong.

Using remote desktop, if I right click the tray icon and choose exit, it only exits squeezetray.exe and squeezecenter.exe remains running. If I go to services and choose to restart the service I get a message saying it did not respond in a timely manner and it stays running in task manager. Doing "end process" from the task manager doesn't seem like it should be the correct way to do it. It does work for stopping SqueezeCenter.exe, but then when I try to start it back up again from the desktop icon, it doesn't run and I end up restarting the whole server anyway.

So could someone tell me what I should be doing when I just want to restart SqueezeCenter?

bonze
2008-09-02, 12:32
I usually kill SqueezeCenter and the annoying SqueezeTray from the task manager.

To restart SC, I start the service, which seems to work OK.
Or sometimes just reboot the server.

MeSue
2008-09-02, 12:52
Thanks. I thought I might be missing something that provided a more efficient and/or acceptable way to do it.

bonze
2008-09-02, 12:58
I'm never certain whether just restarting the tray should have the same effect.
There must be some point to it....

Skunk
2008-09-02, 15:03
When SC is running on my Win2k server, I have an option to 'Stop SqueezeCenter', located under 'Open SqueezeCenter', in the tray icon. This kills squeeze~1.exe and mysqld.exe. When it's stopped, the tray shows the option to 'Start SqueezeCenter'.

Do you not have those options?

MeSue
2008-09-02, 15:36
No, I don't have those options. SqueezeCenter runs as a service on my server and the only tray options are:
Open SqueezeCenter
Go to Logitech Web Site
Exit (which only exits squeezetray.exe)

SadGamerGeek
2008-09-02, 16:02
I created a batch file called "SC restart.bat" and placed it on the desktop in my RDP session to my Windows Home Server (Server 2003) headless machine:

@echo off
REM - Description: Restarts Squeezecenter Service
echo Restarting SqueezeCenter ...
echo ================================================== ====
net stop "SqueezeCenter"
net start "SqueezeCenter"
echo ================================================== ====
echo SqueezeCenter Restarted

I just double click it when I want to restart SC. I'm guessing it could be done remotely, but I'm happy with it from an RDP session. It's certainly a bit quicker than starting Services and scrolling through to find it....

mherger
2008-09-03, 01:09
> Thanks. I thought I might be missing something that provided a more
> efficient and/or acceptable way to do it.

I'm not familiar with WHS, but you should be able to remotely start/stop services using the service management console (or the command line - if you prefer ;-)). See eg. http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Windows/microsoft.public.windows.server.general/2006-07/msg00352.html

--

Michael

MeSue
2008-09-03, 09:34
you should be able to remotely start/stop services using the service management console

Right, but that doesn't seem to work for me as I said at the top of this thread:

If I go to services and choose to restart the service I get a message saying it did not respond in a timely manner and it stays running in task manager.

However, if I do end task in the task manager, then I can usually restart the service through the management console rather than restarting the whole server.

MeSue
2008-09-05, 20:56
I created a batch file called "SC restart.bat" and placed it on the desktop in my RDP session to my Windows Home Server (Server 2003) headless machine:

Thought the batch file was a great idea, but it doesn't work on my machine either. It will end Squeezecenter.exe, but then when it attempts to start it again it shows in the task manager for a few seconds and then disappears. Same thing happens if I type 'net start "SqueezeCenter"' in the run box.

My server is apparently just really slow to stop and start the service. I can do it through the services console, though. I just wasn't being patient enough.

Lyster
2008-09-05, 22:46
Thought the batch file was a great idea, but it doesn't work on my machine either. It will end Squeezecenter.exe, but then when it attempts to start it again it shows in the task manager for a few seconds and then disappears. Same thing happens if I type 'net start "SqueezeCenter"' in the run box.

Mine did the same thing - after the fourth attempt at running the file, it finally worked.