Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mr-b
    • Feb 2007

Scan errors after 7.2 upgrade

With 7.2 on Vista running as a service, I keep seeing the scanner abort or hang, although the scan status is rather confusing saying it's still running (with the time count increasing every few seconds) and also finished ...

Scan Status:

Directory Scan (4041 of 23397) Running 01:05:01
    D:\blah blah.flac
    SqueezeCenter has finished scanning your music collection. Total Time: 01:05:01

Scanner.log (set to debug mode):

[08-09-02 13:39:46.9870] main::main (219) Error: Failed when running main scan: [usage: $io->seek(POS, WHENCE) at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\scanner.exe>Slim/Formats/Playlists.pm line 99]
    [08-09-02 13:39:47.0155] main::main (220) Error: Skipping post-process & Not updating lastRescanTime!

This worked in 7.0. Any ideas?
    Last edited by mr-b; 2008-09-02, 21:08.
  • ghan
    • Sep 2008

same problem here - found the cause

I got the same strange behaviour when i did my first scan (clear library and rescan everything) after the upgrade to 7.2. Directory Scan would stop at 700 of some 34000 tracks, and after a few minutes says it's finished but the time keeps ticking.

After turning on debug logging i found the scanner had a problem with 1 particular flac/cue-file pair. The files have been there always and they didn't have a problem getting scanned on 7.0.1 and 7.1 versions, so something must have changed in handling this type of file?

Anyway, moving them out of the scanned folder solved it. (That is, it's plodding along the rest of the tracks right now.)

I suggest you check if the D:\blah blah.flac file is the problem :-)
    1x SB3 Classic, 1x SB Radio, 1x SB Boom, 1x Squeezebox 1 (not used atm), Squeezecommander for Android
    Squeezeboxserver 7.7.2 on [email protected] 3GB RAM, running Vortexbox 2.2 (Fedora16)
    48k library, clear and rescan ~40 min (mem use=high) on ramdisk

My Music: http://last.fm/user/ghan64

Comment

• Moxilator
      • Sep 2008

Can't figure this out

I don't think mine has completed a scan since I installed 7.2. It aborts after a couple of minutes each time. This morning, it added a few tracks om new albums that it didn't show after two scans last night, but there are still some not showing. The only thing different this morning is that I found a .m4b file and moved it to another location. This is a file that had been in the Music folder since before I first got my Squeezebox (two months ago), so I don't know why it would cause problems now, and I'm not even sure it did.

Here are the results in the scan log since installing 7.2, showing the same two errors each time I've tried to scan:

-----------------------------------------
      [08-08-31 15:21:07.7039] main::main (219) Error: Failed when running main scan: [Can't call method "content_type" on an undefined value at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\scanner.exe>Slim/Schema.pm line 1155.
      ]
      [08-08-31 15:21:07.7291] main::main (220) Error: Skipping post-process & Not updating lastRescanTime
      [08-09-01 09:01:57.3198] main::main (219) Error: Failed when running main scan: [Can't call method "content_type" on an undefined value at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\scanner.exe>Slim/Schema.pm line 1155.
      [08-09-01 09:01:57.3827] main::main (220) Error: Skipping post-process & Not updating lastRescanTime
      [08-09-01 14:16:18.1931] main::main (219) Error: Failed when running main scan: [Can't call method "content_type" on an undefined value at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\scanner.exe>Slim/Schema.pm line 1155.
      [08-09-01 14:16:18.3741] main::main (220) Error: Skipping post-process & Not updating lastRescanTime
      [08-09-01 14:35:20.4431] main::main (219) Error: Failed when running main scan: [Can't call method "content_type" on an undefined value at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\scanner.exe>Slim/Schema.pm line 1155. ]
      [08-09-01 14:35:20.5025] main::main (220) Error: Skipping post-process & Not updating lastRescanTime!
      [08-09-02 09:02:34.8025] main::main (219) Error: Failed when running main scan: [Can't call method "content_type" on an undefined value at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\scanner.exe>Slim/Schema.pm line 1155. ] [08-09-02 09:02:34.8800] main::main (220) Error: Skipping post-process & Not updating lastRescanTime!
      [08-09-02 22:57:01.8181] main::main (219) Error: Failed when running main scan: [Can't call method "content_type" on an undefined value at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\scanner.exe>Slim/Schema.pm line 1155. ]
      [08-09-02 22:57:01.8888] main::main (220) Error: Skipping post-process & Not updating lastRescanTime!
      [08-09-02 23:13:15.9682] main::main (219) Error: Failed when running main scan: [Can't call method "content_type" on an undefined value at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\scanner.exe>Slim/Schema.pm line 1155. ]
      [08-09-02 23:13:16.0060] main::main (220) Error: Skipping post-process & Not updating lastRescanTime!
      [08-09-03 08:25:17.4900] main::main (219) Error: Failed when running main scan: [Can't call method "content_type" on an undefined value at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\scanner.exe>Slim/Schema.pm line 1155. ]
      [08-09-03 08:25:17.5542] main::main (220) Error: Skipping post-process & Not updating lastRescanTime!
      [08-09-03 08:52:14.7712] main::main (219) Error: Failed when running main scan: [Can't call method "content_type" on an undefined value at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\scanner.exe>Slim/Schema.pm line 1155. ]
      [08-09-03 08:52:14.7818] main::main (220) Error: Skipping post-process & Not updating lastRescanTime!
      -----------------------------------------

I have *NO* idea what these errors mean. Any advice?

Comment

• Moxilator
        • Sep 2008

Fixed, I hope

I found another .m4b file lurking amongst the music and moved it elsewhere. Finally got what I hope is a complete scan--at least, it is showing all the tracks it missed last night and this morning.

This was another file that had been there for ages. 7.2 seems to be much pickier than earlier versions.

Comment

• mr-b
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ghan
          After turning on debug logging i found the scanner had a problem with 1 particular flac/cue-file pair. The files have been there always and they didn't have a problem getting scanned on 7.0.1 and 7.1 versions, so something must have changed in handling this type of file?

Anyway, moving them out of the scanned folder solved it. (That is, it's plodding along the rest of the tracks right now.)

I suggest you check if the D:\blah blah.flac file is the problem :-)
          It turned I had a problematic flac/cue file pair too! I moved them out and the scan now completes. :-)

Comment

• GCall
            • May 2008

Same Issue Too

I'm getting the same problem.

If I do a clear and rescan everything seems to complete on the initial directory scan stage but then stops a few hundred records into the MusicIP import.

I then did a rescan for new music and it got stuck part way through the directory rescan on a WMA file. On removing that the directory scan completed and continued to import all MusicIP data and complete in full.

Comment

• kanoot
              • Mar 2006

Im having the same problems here on a Mac running Leopard. Oddly, I can't find an offending file in the scanner logs. I can do a "clear library and rescan" just fine, but every attempt at a "new and changed music" scan fails.

Comment

• GCall
                • May 2008

Finding problem file

I couldn't see the file in the log either but from memory I thin I then looked at the "details of previous scan" link from settings and it was mentioned there as the last file scanned.

Comment

• kanoot
                  • Mar 2006

OK - wow this is a big FAIL. This is not going to work.

I found the offending file and its a .mov file. And it won't go away because I scan my itunes directory and I want to watch movies on the plane - via itunes.

Does anyone know if a bug has been filed against this problem yet? This needs to revert to pre 7.2 functionality.

Comment

• GeeJay
                    • May 2007

I'm having the same issues immediately after my upgrade. A full rescan makes it through the directory, but hangs up during MusicIP import. Surely someone knows what's going on here?
                    I’m down to one SB Touch and a Raspberry Pi. Mac Mini as a server (OS X Catalina). iPeng is my controller of choice. LMS 7.9.4. Erland’s plug ins are what keep me in the ecosystem.

Comment

• kanoot
                      • Mar 2006

The only thing I found on bugzilla was this:

But not being familiar enough with the code, I'm not quite sure this is the same problem.

Comment

• sxr71
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by kanoot
                        The only thing I found on bugzilla was this:

But not being familiar enough with the code, I'm not quite sure this is the same problem.
                        I don't know either and in fact I don't even know how to apply the patch.My error code revolves around a musicbrainz ID being too long for the field.

Comment

• GeeJay
                          • May 2007

I can't replicate my original problem, which was similar to some others whereby the scan would stop in the middle of scanning the directory.

Now, it doesn't even get going:

[08-09-07 14:26:56.8767] main::main (219) Error: Failed when running main scan: [Can't call method "content_type" on an undefined value at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\scanner.exe>Slim/Schema.pm line 1155.
                          ]
                          [08-09-07 14:26:56.8773] main::main (220) Error: Skipping post-process & Not updating lastRescanTime!

This happens when I rescan for new and changed music only. I was having somewhat similar problems when I did a complete rescan, but I was able to get it done after closing MusicIP. Closing MusicIP did nothing to improve the situation during a "new and changed" rescan.
                          I’m down to one SB Touch and a Raspberry Pi. Mac Mini as a server (OS X Catalina). iPeng is my controller of choice. LMS 7.9.4. Erland’s plug ins are what keep me in the ecosystem.

Comment

• ModelCitizen
                            • May 2005

Sound a bit dubious to me, but what happens if you set SlimCenter to ignore mov,cue,aif etc files?

Settings > Advanced > File Types

MC
                            Take care of your tongue. It is in a wet place and can easily slip.

Lounge: Naim NDX with Touch as controller, Naim NAP 180, NAC 82, NAPSC, HiCap, Shahinian Arc speakers
                            Kitchen/outside: Chromecast audio, Azatom iBigBoy 2 (500W)
                            And... SB+, radios & tons of Chromecasts... all run from LMS and controlled via Material Skin on any nearby device and a couple of Touchs.

Comment

• GeeJay
                              • May 2007

Ok, here is something that may point to the problem, at least for me. I just tried to scan again, and the the scanner got stuck on a track to which I just added artwork, using mp3tag (which I've literally used a thousand times before). Yesterday, it was stuck on a different track, but another one that I had just added artwork.

BTW, Model Citizen, I have none of the file types you mention. I only have wma, mp3, flac, and m4p (I may have some m4a's, but it doesn't seem to be hanging on any of those). I had already disabled m4p a few weeks ago to fix another issue I was having.

UPDATE: Finally got it to work. First, I closed mp3tag, just in case it was holding a file open. That's never been a problem before, but figured that may have been causing it since the rescan was hanging up on files I had just modified with that program.

Next rescan, SC was getting hung up on a wma file that had caused problems right after I upgraded to 7.2. It was one of about a half-dozen wma's with DRM that I bought some time ago. Never caused problems before, but since I had other versions of these tracks I just deleted them. Next rescan worked fine.

Now I'm curious as to what changed in 7.2's scanner to cause all these problems. Hopefully, I now know enough to prevent the problem from occurring again.
                              Last edited by GeeJay; 2008-09-08, 03:03. Reason: Update for additional information

Comment

Working...