PDA

View Full Version : Running SqueezeCenter on multi-user laptop

gen-ik
2008-09-02, 01:23
I'm planning on buying the Squeezebox Duet and running the SqueezeCenter software on my laptop, which is used by me and my girlfriend. We both have our own user accounts, and when switching the laptop, we always switch to our own user accounts using the "Fast User Switching" feature of Windows XP.

Does the Squeezecenter software run compeletely in the background, so that there is no interruption in the music, when the user is switched? To clarify the scenario:

1. user A logs in (and SqueezeCenter is started)
2. user A starts playing music on the Duet
3. user A gives laptop to user B
4. user B logs in by clicking on his icon on the Welcome Screen of Windows XP, leaving user A logged in

Is there a gap, interruption or does the music stop playing between steps 3 and 4? This is what happens using TVersity with PS3, for example. Before investing in the Duet, I would like to verify whether my usage scenario would work as I'd like it to work.

st2lemans
2008-09-02, 01:31
Run SqueezeCenter as a service with it's own logon.

A good idea even if you don't switch users.

Tom

gen-ik
2008-09-02, 01:50
Ok, thanks. For reference, for others searching for this info: Running SqueezeCenter as Windows Service (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeCenter_As_Windows_Service)

Letten
2008-09-02, 02:24
I'm planning on buying the Squeezebox Duet and running the SqueezeCenter software on my laptop, which is used by me and my girlfriend. We both have our own user accounts, and when switching the laptop, we always switch to our own user accounts using the "Fast User Switching" feature of Windows XP.

Does the Squeezecenter software run compeletely in the background, so that there is no interruption in the music, when the user is switched? To clarify the scenario:

1. user A logs in (and SqueezeCenter is started)
2. user A starts playing music on the Duet
3. user A gives laptop to user B
4. user B logs in by clicking on his icon on the Welcome Screen of Windows XP, leaving user A logged in

Is there a gap, interruption or does the music stop playing between steps 3 and 4? This is what happens using TVersity with PS3, for example. Before investing in the Duet, I would like to verify whether my usage scenario would work as I'd like it to work.

If your laptop is wirelessly connected to your network, you might experience dropouts if XP is unable to maintain connection during Fast user switching. So SC is running but the connection is dropped and reestablished.

You can test if you have this problem, by monitoring your wireless tray icon after switching. Monitor over some time though.

We have been using SC the way you describe it for a long time, but dropped fast user switching recently. Partly because of the wireless issue, partly because we were tired of swichting all the time just to check for new emails. Now we have one account and to identities in outlook express, much faster.

I realize that there are other benefits from having two accounts, we were just not using them :-)

I have no idea about how running it as a service would interfere with maintaing wireless connection during fast user switching.

/Letten

gen-ik
2008-09-02, 10:18
Good point, the wireless connectivity.

I tested this by installing SoftSqueeze on a second laptop and running SqueezeCenter on my music laptop. Apparently there was no gap in the music playing or wireless connectivity when changing users, so it seems to work as I hoped. :)