PDA

View Full Version : Boom Seen at Best Buy in US

MickeyG
2008-09-01, 22:05
I was out shopping with my daughter at Ikea today, and she wanted to see if Boom was being sold at Best Buy yet.

Sure enough, one solitary Boom was on a shelf at the very front of the store -- right when you walked in.

We walked around the store, and there weren't any Booms anywhere else. It looks kinda lonely just sitting there.

Note that the sticker on the shelf says "30 WATT ALL-IN-ONE NETWORK MUSIC PLAYER W/ INTEGRATED SPEAKERS".

This is the Best Buy in East Palo Alto here in the SF Bay Area.

I took some pics ....

Mickey

maggior
2008-09-02, 07:44
That's pretty cool to see it on the shelf as you walk into the store.

It is also on their web site:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8914703&st=logitech+boom&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1217633560444

They have Duets too and are backordered just like the Boom.

It will be interesting to see the uptick in forum traffic as these products get more into the mainstream retail channels.

Club1820
2008-09-02, 13:42
Just checked. Not available at any stores by me. Would be nice if they did have it and also have it hooked up. That way I could take a listen before buying.

Mr. Resistor
2008-09-02, 18:05
Was just there on Sunday...didn't see the boom then.... But I did see one on the TV on sunday on, quite possibly, the past place you'd expect...

It was given away as a gift on CMT (Country Music Television) My Big Redneck wedding.

I wish I was making this up... the couple got married in a mud bog. And Tom Arnold, the host, gave them a Boom. I threw up in my mouth just a little bit.

seanadams
2008-09-02, 19:51
It was given away as a gift on CMT (Country Music Television) My Big Redneck wedding.

I wish I was making this up... the couple got married in a mud bog. And Tom Arnold, the host, gave them a Boom. I threw up in my mouth just a little bit.

I saw Bristol Palin's wedding too...

ccrome2
2008-09-02, 22:24
Mr.Resistor, I really didn't believe you.

But, they played it again tonight.

The guy has no idea what it is, but the lady seems genuinely excited about
it. Notice, they also bought a white box controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=912Q_wWroR0

The best video capture I could come up with was my digital still camera
pointed at the TV, so sorry for the lousy quality. (My Eye-Fi card causes a
ton of audible interference too.)

-Caleb

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Mr. Resistor <
Mr.Resistor.3f50an1220404202 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> Was just there on Sunday...didn't see the boom then.... But I did see
> one on the TV on sunday on, quite possibly, the past place you'd
> expect...
>
> It was given away as a gift on CMT (Country Music Television) My Big
> Redneck wedding.
>
> I wish I was making this up... the couple got married in a mud bog. And
> Tom Arnold, the host, gave them a Boom. I threw up in my mouth just a
> little bit.
>
>
> --
> Mr. Resistor
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Mr. Resistor's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=19727
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=51879
>
>

boerner
2008-09-03, 17:18
Sean,

I moved to Alaska from Philadelphia two years ago. Palin had just been elected governor. You cannot believe all the hoopla locally since her candidacy has been announced. I just feel sorry for poor Levi (the daughters boyfriend) :-)

iPhone
2008-09-03, 19:14
I was out shopping with my daughter at Ikea today, and she wanted to see if Boom was being sold at Best Buy yet.

Sure enough, one solitary Boom was on a shelf at the very front of the store -- right when you walked in.

We walked around the store, and there weren't any Booms anywhere else. It looks kinda lonely just sitting there.

Note that the sticker on the shelf says "30 WATT ALL-IN-ONE NETWORK MUSIC PLAYER W/ INTEGRATED SPEAKERS".

This is the Best Buy in East Palo Alto here in the SF Bay Area.

I took some pics ....

Mickey

Anybody else feel its a bit odd with what Best Buy thought the Boom should be on the shelf with? Headphones, Bose, and external iPod speaker docks?

pfarrell
2008-09-03, 19:22
iPhone wrote:
> Anybody else feel its a bit odd with what Best Buy thought the Boom
> should be on the shelf with? Headphones, Bose, and external iPod
> speaker docks?

It looks like a iPod docking station with speakers. You expect more than
that from Best Buy?

iPhone
2008-09-04, 07:53
iPhone wrote:
> Anybody else feel its a bit odd with what Best Buy thought the Boom
> should be on the shelf with? Headphones, Bose, and external iPod
> speaker docks?

that from Best Buy?

Hey Pat maybe your right.

Some silly customer will buy it thinking its a dock and end up with a Boom at home. Great cross marketing by Best Buy, Not. Of course no telling what is going to happen when they see that they have to use a Line-in Jack to get audio to the Boom and that it Will Not charge their iPod.

Best Buy is carrying the Duet, why in the world is it not over with the Duet? That was really my point.

MeSue
2008-09-04, 10:20
that from Best Buy?

When I had company over during the beta test, they assumed the Boom was an iPod speaker dock. I don't even own an iPod.

EnochLight
2008-09-04, 10:32
No offense to Logitech, but I sooo miss the original Slim Devices packaging. The exterior artwork was so much more... elegant.

Oh well, the price we pay for innovation - Slim under Logitech has presented us with some fantastic product launches this past year!

max.spicer
2008-09-04, 12:35
No offense to Logitech, but I sooo miss the original Slim Devices packaging. The exterior artwork was so much more... elegant.

Oh well, the price we pay for innovation - Slim under Logitech has presented us with some fantastic product launches this past year!

Was there artwork on the SD packaging? Or is that your point? ;-)

Max

Caleb Crome
2008-09-04, 13:45
Hey,
This is *much* more like it.

iPhone
2008-09-04, 14:14
Hey,
This is *much* more like it.

Now see, that is exactly what I was talking about. They already had the Duet, the Boom should be right there with the Duet as it is in the pictures. Which Best Buy was that at Caleb?

ccrome2
2008-09-04, 14:19
On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 2:14 PM, iPhone <
iPhone.3f8eqz1220562903 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> Caleb Crome;336696 Wrote:
> > Hey,
> > This is *much* more like it.
>
> Now see, that is exactly what I was talking about. They already had the
> Duet, the Boom should be right there with the Duet as it is in the
> pictures. Which Best Buy was that at Caleb?
>
> On Charleston Road in Mountain View.

-Caleb

seanadams
2008-09-04, 14:19
We produced a pretty large number of those display units that show Boom and Duet together. They may not have made it to all the stores yet, which is why that one store might have had only one unit of inventory and nothing else.

peterw
2008-09-04, 14:40
We produced a pretty large number of those display units that show Boom and Duet together. They may not have made it to all the stores yet, which is why that one store might have had only one unit of inventory and nothing else.

It'll be nice for people to have a chance to directly compare the SBC and the clunky Sonos controller (how does Sonos still manage to sell a controller that requires two hands???) but it's a little sad not to see the Classic there, too.

iPhone
2008-09-04, 19:51

Sean, Mickey, and Michael,

You guys are going to love this. I went to the Best Buy on Cobb Parkway (US 41) in Atlanta today. Strolled around the store looking for Boom or Duet or the new display. Couldn't find any of them. So I asked a salesman if they had any Network Music Players. I was told they didn't have any so I asked if they had a Logitech Duet or Boom. Never heard of it. So I asked if he read their Store Sales Flyer every week because the Duet was in it on sale a few weeks ago. Again, never heard of it.

So I leave that department and go over to the network section with the computers and Logitech section. Ask the guy the same questions. The computer nerd with the Bluetooth in his ear proceeds to tell me that ALL NMPs have been pulled due to issues with the new "N" WiFi standard. So I tell him that Slim Devices only works with "G" & "B" anyway and that the Duet was in the sales flyer and I saw it last week in the Gwinnett Best Buy. His response, "Like I said all the NMPs have been pulled". So the Geek Squad guy that has been listening the whole time comes over, also says that they are pulled and that I would be better off buying an Apple TV anyway!

What is with the song and dance? Can't they just say its new and out of stock or not at this location yet?

pfarrell
2008-09-04, 19:58
iPhone wrote:
> What is with the song and dance? Can't they just say its new and out of
> stock or not at this location yet?

Because they know that if you think its for sale anywhere on the planet,
you won't buy something else. They need you to buy something, so they
will say anything possible.

op cit used car salesmen

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Dylan Rhodes
2008-09-04, 20:57
What is with the song and dance? Can't they just say its new and out of stock or not at this location yet?

In my twenty years in the retail business I've heard the "it's been recalled" story from countless retail employees. It's one of those nasty tricks that less professional salespeople use simply, as you stated, to avoid admitting that the product is not in stock.

When I checked at the Best Buy closest to Slim Devices today (the same one where Caleb took those excellent photos) I was informed that inventory was still at the local warehouse and was en route. Otherwise, the area manager was excited about the product and when I asked him to explain the product before I told him where I work (a little trick of my own), he did a good job of explaining what the Duet and Boom do.

So -- not all Best Buy employees are as unprofessional as the one you encountered. If you happened to get this guy's name (or if you don't mind making a note of his name the next time you're at the store) I'll do my best to make sure that he gets some coaching.

maggior
2008-09-04, 20:59
Sean, Mickey, and Michael,

You guys are going to love this. I went to the Best Buy on Cobb Parkway (US 41) in Atlanta today. Strolled around the store looking for Boom or Duet or the new display. Couldn't find any of them. So I asked a salesman if they had any Network Music Players. I was told they didn't have any so I asked if they had a Logitech Duet or Boom. Never heard of it. So I asked if he read their Store Sales Flyer every week because the Duet was in it on sale a few weeks ago. Again, never heard of it.

So I leave that department and go over to the network section with the computers and Logitech section. Ask the guy the same questions. The computer nerd with the Bluetooth in his ear proceeds to tell me that ALL NMPs have been pulled due to issues with the new "N" WiFi standard. So I tell him that Slim Devices only works with "G" & "B" anyway and that the Duet was in the sales flyer and I saw it last week in the Gwinnett Best Buy. His response, "Like I said all the NMPs have been pulled". So the Geek Squad guy that has been listening the whole time comes over, also says that they are pulled and that I would be better off buying an Apple TV anyway!

Ugh! THIS is why I am so happy that I don't have to rely on these people to make my technology purchase decisions.

iPhone
2008-09-04, 20:59
iPhone wrote:
> What is with the song and dance? Can't they just say its new and out of
> stock or not at this location yet?

Because they know that if you think its for sale anywhere on the planet,
you won't buy something else. They need you to buy something, so they
will say anything possible.

op cit used car salesmen

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

So true Pat. But if I were paying for shelf space or allowing BB to sell my products, I would be fit to be tied if I heard about this.

Geek Squad boy was really pushing the Apple TV after I received a call on my iPhone in the store. Told him I didn't want to do video, just wanted a NMP. "Oh I think it does music also". Now there is somebody that really knows his products. I guess if one looks like they are over 40, the 20 somethings don't think we know the difference or know better. Like I bought an iPhone just because I needed a mobile phone, not.

maggior
2008-09-04, 21:02
When I had company over during the beta test, they assumed the Boom was an iPod speaker dock. I don't even own an iPod.

That raises an interesting question - what did you/could you tell people when they came over? What if somebody asked you directly "wow, what is this cool thing?" "Sorry, if I told you, I'd have to kill you!"?? :-).

At least it sounds like you didn't have to hide it in a closet when folks came over.

MeSue
2008-09-04, 21:23
That raises an interesting question - what did you/could you tell people when they came over? What if somebody asked you directly "wow, what is this cool thing?" "Sorry, if I told you, I'd have to kill you!"?? :-).

At least it sounds like you didn't have to hide it in a closet when folks came over.

It was my sister and BIL so I knew they wouldn't do anything to get me sued. Also we were told early in the beta test that it was okay to get reactions from close family members.

JJZolx
2008-09-05, 11:03
In my twenty years in the retail business...

------------------------------------
Dylan Rhodes
GPMM for the Streaming Media Business Unit

GPMM?

dean
2008-09-05, 11:22
On Sep 5, 2008, at 11:03 AM, JJZolx wrote:

>
> Dylan Rhodes;336818 Wrote:
>> In my twenty years in the retail business...
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>> Dylan Rhodes
>> GPMM for the Streaming Media Business Unit
>>
>
> GPMM?

Global Product Marketing Manager.

Logitech has an intense culture of acronyms that sometimes leaks out
to the outside world.

Goodsounds
2008-09-05, 12:18
On Sep 5, 2008, at 11:03 AM, JJZolx wrote:

>
> Dylan Rhodes;336818 Wrote:
>> In my twenty years in the retail business...
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>> Dylan Rhodes
>> GPMM for the Streaming Media Business Unit
>>
>
> GPMM?

Logitech has an intense culture of acronyms that sometimes leaks out
to the outside world.

OK, so you need to fight fire with fire.

Your title - Heuristic Engineering of Analog and Digital - Manufacturing Operations and Factory Organization (HEAD MOFO)

but unfortunately, that may make Caleb

Product Engineer Online Networking (PEON)

You can work with these a bit.

maggior
2008-09-05, 13:24

Your title - Heuristic Engineering of Analog and Digital - Manufacturing Operations and Factory Organization (HEAD MOFO)

but unfortunately, that may make Caleb

Product Engineer Online Networking (PEON)

You can work with these a bit.

This is the funniest thing I've read in a while!!! Thanks for the laugh!
:-)

I used to work for Intel, so I know what it's like to deal with corporate acronyms. They have to be amongst the worst! You could make a sentence out of almost nothing but acronyms and be serious and really be saying something..."So, go ahead and NCC the PTR so the PMM can persuade PMB to relase the TRA of project XYZ". I think an indicator of acronyms getting out of hand is when they are used as verbs as well as nouns.

maggior
2008-09-06, 05:00

It occurs to me that if Miles Davis were in charge of a corporation, Head MoFo would be his chosen title.

Michaelwagner
2008-09-06, 06:29

Logitech has an intense culture of acronyms that sometimes leaks out to the outside world.
Oh, you mean ICA

Michaelwagner
2008-09-06, 06:31
I think an indicator of acronyms getting out of hand is when they are used as verbs as well as nouns.

An IBM manual on proper language use in manuals 30 years ago contained this wonderful quote:

Any noun can be verbed.