PDA

View Full Version : Dorku... fer real?



Dixon, Bill
2004-04-02, 12:36
FTR, I love my squeezebox (and will be ordering a few more) and don't want to patronize brand R, but does slim have any plans for a device w/ a larger display? I don't sit that close to my entertainment center, but would love the display from across the room...

fwiw,
-bill

Kevin O. Lepard
2004-04-02, 12:45
>a device w/ a larger display? I don't sit that close to my
>entertainment center, but would love the display from across the
>room...

I second this. I love my SLIMP3, but would like a display about
twice as big wtih attractive text instead of the clunky double-size
stuff. I know you guys can't support too many devices, but maybe
someday if there's enough demand. You could definitely put me down
for one. :-)

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard
lepard.kevin (AT) fireserve (DOT) net

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

Robert P. Goldman
2004-04-02, 17:41
>>>>> "Kevin" == Kevin O Lepard <lepard.kevin (AT) fireserve (DOT) net> writes:

>> a device w/ a larger display? I don't sit that close to my
>> entertainment center, but would love the display from across the
>> room...

Kevin> I second this. I love my SLIMP3, but would like a display about
Kevin> twice as big wtih attractive text instead of the clunky double-size
Kevin> stuff. I know you guys can't support too many devices, but maybe
Kevin> someday if there's enough demand. You could definitely put me down
Kevin> for one. :-)

....and while we're giving our wish-lists, I'd like to have a device
with a much larger field of vision for the IR remote. I have to sit
on my couch and hold my remote control over my head to hit the slimp3
accuratly.

I might add that this has a significant negative impact on the
slimp3's vaunted spouse approval factor in MY household.

alexd
2004-04-02, 23:57
On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 18:41 -0600, Robert P. Goldman wrote:

> ...and while we're giving our wish-lists, I'd like to have a device
> with a much larger field of vision for the IR remote. I have to sit
> on my couch and hold my remote control over my head to hit the slimp3
> accurately.

My personal experience with the Slimp3 is quite different; I'm quite
surprised at what angles I *can* hit it with, compared to other IR
remotes I've used. And even if I can't hit it directly, I can always hit
it by reflecting the beam off a wall or the ceiling.

alex

Tom Wynne
2004-04-03, 02:07
I'd second (or third) that comment. I love my Slimp3 for it's
functionality, but in the appearance/style category I think it could use
improvement. And I'd definitely be willing to pay a premium for
something that looks nice with the rest of my a/v setup.

The Roku player I suspect *looks* very nice up close, but I'm not
convinced it's going to help with legibility from across the room.

And regarding the Squeezebox, though a big improvement in overall
functionality, it's a step back in terms of style (as many on this group
have already commented). It's appearance (size/form factor) would
actually prevent me buying one at the moment.

Just my .02. Love the concept, works great, but could look better.
Call me superficial... ;-)

Tom

Kevin O. Lepard wrote:

>> a device w/ a larger display? I don't sit that close to my
>> entertainment center, but would love the display from across the room...
>
>
> I second this. I love my SLIMP3, but would like a display about twice
> as big wtih attractive text instead of the clunky double-size stuff. I
> know you guys can't support too many devices, but maybe someday if
> there's enough demand. You could definitely put me down for one. :-)
>
> Kevin

kdf
2004-04-03, 03:03
Quoting Tom Wynne <tomwynne (AT) yahoo (DOT) co.uk>:

> I'd second (or third) that comment. I love my Slimp3 for it's
> functionality, but in the appearance/style category I think it could use
> improvement. And I'd definitely be willing to pay a premium for
> something that looks nice with the rest of my a/v setup.
>
> The Roku player I suspect *looks* very nice up close, but I'm not
> convinced it's going to help with legibility from across the room.

for the record. its the EXACT same line of displays (Noritake), and the wider
display accounts almost entirely for the added $200 price on the wide Roku.
btw...Adobe Photoshop does wonders for promotional material.

> And regarding the Squeezebox, though a big improvement in overall
> functionality, it's a step back in terms of style (as many on this group
> have already commented). It's appearance (size/form factor) would
> actually prevent me buying one at the moment.

so don't. the rest of us will enjoy ours in peace...well, my opinion. Slimp3
was gadgety and quaint, but far from unpleasant. squeezebox is more mainstream,
and very slick when you see it in the flesh; definately cleaner lines and it
DOES blend in well with other gear Just maybe not the large and flashy stuff one
might have around to keep up with the Jones'. No, not impressive, but it
doesn't have to be. If you want brushed aluminum...get out your glue gun and
stick it inside a Lian Li case (or the Ahanix D-Vine series) As a bonus, you
can pack a snazzy new P4E in there too.

If you want a Roku...go pay for one. Be sure you let us know, when you actually
get one, if it was all you hoped it would be. I am genuinely curious. I wont
buy one, especially for ripping off the Fishbone skin when it was totally
buggy...then being arsey with me when I offerred to fix the errors I know are
there. but I am curious

-kdf

Tom Wynne
2004-04-03, 05:00
Hmmm... well my original post was meant to be *constructive* criticism.
No one should take it personally. As I said I love the Slim, and I
think it was one of the first and probably still the best in it's class.

I don't think I'd buy the Roku either as I don't agree with what they've
done, but there's nothing stopping SlimDevices from doing one better and
offering an even better player.

I'm totally in support of SlimDevices, and I hope (in the very vein that
this group exists) that they will continue to remain open to new ideas.

Regards,

Tom
kdf wrote:

> Quoting Tom Wynne <tomwynne (AT) yahoo (DOT) co.uk>:
>
>
>>I'd second (or third) that comment. I love my Slimp3 for it's
>>functionality, but in the appearance/style category I think it could use
>> improvement. And I'd definitely be willing to pay a premium for
>>something that looks nice with the rest of my a/v setup.
>>
>>The Roku player I suspect *looks* very nice up close, but I'm not
>>convinced it's going to help with legibility from across the room.
>
>
> for the record. its the EXACT same line of displays (Noritake), and the wider
> display accounts almost entirely for the added $200 price on the wide Roku.
> btw...Adobe Photoshop does wonders for promotional material.
>
>
>>And regarding the Squeezebox, though a big improvement in overall
>>functionality, it's a step back in terms of style (as many on this group
>>have already commented). It's appearance (size/form factor) would
>>actually prevent me buying one at the moment.
>
>
> so don't. the rest of us will enjoy ours in peace...well, my opinion. Slimp3
> was gadgety and quaint, but far from unpleasant. squeezebox is more mainstream,
> and very slick when you see it in the flesh; definately cleaner lines and it
> DOES blend in well with other gear Just maybe not the large and flashy stuff one
> might have around to keep up with the Jones'. No, not impressive, but it
> doesn't have to be. If you want brushed aluminum...get out your glue gun and
> stick it inside a Lian Li case (or the Ahanix D-Vine series) As a bonus, you
> can pack a snazzy new P4E in there too.
>
> If you want a Roku...go pay for one. Be sure you let us know, when you actually
> get one, if it was all you hoped it would be. I am genuinely curious. I wont
> buy one, especially for ripping off the Fishbone skin when it was totally
> buggy...then being arsey with me when I offerred to fix the errors I know are
> there. but I am curious
>
> -kdf

Jack Coates
2004-04-03, 09:21
On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 01:07, Tom Wynne wrote:
> I'd second (or third) that comment. I love my Slimp3 for it's
> functionality, but in the appearance/style category I think it could use
> improvement. And I'd definitely be willing to pay a premium for
> something that looks nice with the rest of my a/v setup.

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/pictureframepc/ running the web
interface, a wireless keyboard on the coffeetable. How's that look?

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
************************************************** ********************
* "It is by the goodness of God that, in this country, we have three *
* benefits: freedom of speech, freedom of thought, and the wisdom *
* never to use either." -- Mark Twain *
************************************************** ********************

Mark Bennett
2004-04-03, 09:40
What a fantastic idea.... Would be even better if he used
a touchscreen display.

Now you just need a web browser window in the background
to the SlimServer, softsqueeze, and a pair of NXT speakers
and you're away.

Jack Coates wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 01:07, Tom Wynne wrote:
>
>>I'd second (or third) that comment. I love my Slimp3 for it's
>>functionality, but in the appearance/style category I think it could use
>> improvement. And I'd definitely be willing to pay a premium for
>>something that looks nice with the rest of my a/v setup.
>
>
> http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/pictureframepc/ running the web
> interface, a wireless keyboard on the coffeetable. How's that look?
>

kdf
2004-04-03, 11:30
Quoting Tom Wynne <tomwynne (AT) yahoo (DOT) co.uk>:

> Hmmm... well my original post was meant to be *constructive* criticism.
> No one should take it personally. As I said I love the Slim, and I
> think it was one of the first and probably still the best in it's class.

constructive is great. so, what are your ideas for improving the design?
just saying it looks so bad you won't buy one, isn't 'constructive'. There is
nothing personal being taken, but it just sounds like griping, rather than
useful input. What would you like to see, what what kind of price would you
expect for such a thing?

-kdf

Jason Snell
2004-04-03, 12:20
kdf wrote:

>for the record. its the EXACT same line of displays (Noritake), and the wider
>display accounts almost entirely for the added $200 price on the wide Roku.
>btw...Adobe Photoshop does wonders for promotional material.

It's also a dot-matrix display, I believe, which means it's far more
flexible than the Squeezebox display.

Not that I've seen one yet....
--
Jason Snell / Editor in Chief, Macworld / jsnell (AT) macworld (DOT) com
415-243-3565 / AIM-iChat: MW jsnell

Jack Coates
2004-04-03, 12:39
On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 10:30, kdf wrote:
> Quoting Tom Wynne <tomwynne (AT) yahoo (DOT) co.uk>:
>
> > Hmmm... well my original post was meant to be *constructive* criticism.
> > No one should take it personally. As I said I love the Slim, and I
> > think it was one of the first and probably still the best in it's class.
>
> constructive is great. so, what are your ideas for improving the design?
> just saying it looks so bad you won't buy one, isn't 'constructive'. There is
> nothing personal being taken, but it just sounds like griping, rather than
> useful input. What would you like to see, what what kind of price would you
> expect for such a thing?
>
> -kdf

IMHO the pictureframe PC with a kiosk interface (Mozilla + Knoppix),
touchscreen interface, and IR receiver would sell pretty well.
--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
************************************************** ********************
* "Home is the place where, when you have to go there, They have to *
* take you in." -- Robert Frost *
************************************************** ********************

Tom Wynne
2004-04-03, 13:37
Still sounds a bit personal to me - there are countless other posts in
this forum with basically the same opinion and mine's the only one with
this kind of response.

As for suggestions, something that somewhat matches every other piece of
A/V equipment on the market would be a good start. At the moment that
tends to be aluminum or titanium in colour, and the higher end stuff
isn't plastic.

There are other display technologies on the market which also look much
clearer than that on the Slim devices. In particular I have a separate
OLED display on my receiver which is stunning - multicolour, moving
graphics, etc. It has a nice solid feel to it and an aluminum base.
Most importantly, I can clearly read it from across the room where the
Slim (sitting directly next to it) is a struggle at full brightness.

I'm not suggesting that every piece of equipment should be a bland
silver box - a quick browse through any audio retailer and it's easy to
pick out the better designed.

I've already said I like the Slimp3, so I won't labour the point. As
with all things, there's always room for improvement. ;-)

Tom

kdf wrote:

> Quoting Tom Wynne <tomwynne (AT) yahoo (DOT) co.uk>:
>
>
>>Hmmm... well my original post was meant to be *constructive* criticism.
>> No one should take it personally. As I said I love the Slim, and I
>>think it was one of the first and probably still the best in it's class.
>
>
> constructive is great. so, what are your ideas for improving the design?
> just saying it looks so bad you won't buy one, isn't 'constructive'. There is
> nothing personal being taken, but it just sounds like griping, rather than
> useful input. What would you like to see, what what kind of price would you
> expect for such a thing?
>
> -kdf

seanadams
2004-04-05, 08:36
> I have to sit
> on my couch and hold my remote control over my head to hit the slimp3
> accuratly.

This was fixed in Squeezebox.

Actually, depending on how old your SLIMP3 is, it was also fixed for
SLIMP3 some time ago.