PDA

View Full Version : Shutting Off the Alarm

cyberchino
2008-09-01, 01:20
For those who were beta testers or now current owners, I have a quick question regarding the alarm. I see that there is a snooze button on top of the Boom but how do you actually shut the alarm off when it goes off? I don't see it documented anywhere in the user guide. Before buying, I just want to make sure that it is not too complicated a process. Thanks.

max.spicer
2008-09-01, 01:32
For those who were beta testers or now current owners, I have a quick question regarding the alarm. I see that there is a snooze button on top of the Boom but how do you actually shut the alarm off when it goes off? I don't see it documented anywhere in the user guide. Before buying, I just want to make sure that it is not too complicated a process. Thanks.

Hi,

The alarm is shut off by anything you do that stops the music. In other words, the power button, the pause button or stop. You can skip tracks or even select new tracks whilst the alarm is active and this won't stop it, which means you could skip a track and then hit snooze to get a few extra winks. Likewise, volume adjustments are fine.

Max

max.spicer
2008-09-01, 01:33

This really should be in the documentation, by the way. Please file a bug if it isn't.

Max

Siduhe
2008-09-01, 03:07
The alarm also switches itself off automatically after an hour, so even if you leave it set when you go away, it won't play all day.

ccrome2
2008-09-01, 04:02
On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 1:33 AM, max.spicer <
max.spicer.3f1vkc1220258103 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> cyberchino;335081 Wrote:
> > For those who were beta testers or now current owners, I have a quick
> > question regarding the alarm. I see that there is a snooze button on
> > top of the Boom but how do you actually shut the alarm off when it goes
> > off? I don't see it documented anywhere in the user guide. Before
> > buying, I just want to make sure that it is not too complicated a
> > process. Thanks.
>
> This really should be in the documentation, by the way. Please file a
> bug if it isn't.

Actually, I think it should show up on the display so it's discoverable.
Any thoughts?

max.spicer
2008-09-01, 10:44
Actually, I think it should show up on the display so it's discoverable.
Any thoughts?

How do you mean, Caleb?

Max

ccrome2
2008-09-01, 13:46
On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 10:44 AM, max.spicer <
max.spicer.3f2l0z1220291104 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> ccrome2;335130 Wrote:
> > Actually, I think it should show up on the display so it's
> > discoverable.
> > Any thoughts?
>
> How do you mean, Caleb?

When the alarm is ringing, display "Press power to stop alarm" or something
like that. It could display that message the first few times the alarm
goes off. Then it wouldn't need to any more.

As everybody knows, not many people read documentation -- the interface
should be as discoverable as possible.

-C

max.spicer
2008-09-01, 14:36
When the alarm is ringing, display "Press power to stop alarm" or something
like that. It could display that message the first few times the alarm
goes off. Then it wouldn't need to any more.

As everybody knows, not many people read documentation -- the interface
should be as discoverable as possible.

-C

Don't forget that the alarm doesn't "ring", it plays music. The user perceives the alarm through the fact that the music starts and so the natural thing to do to stop it is to stop the music. I think this is intuitive/discoverable and doesn't need further instruction. Noone who's used the alarm has needed to be told how to stop it - they already know how to stop music. I think the current confusion has only come about as cyberchino hasn't used the new alarm code and just wanted to check that stopping alarms didn't involve some convoluted process.

I still think this should be mentioned in the manual, but only for completeness.

Max

ModelCitizen
2008-09-02, 00:32
I think the alarm icon should stop flashing and the alarm turn off when you change from your alarm playlist to any other too.....

It's a small thing though. The alarm works very well. It's the best alarm implementation I've ever come across. Simple, intuitive, powerful and highly configurable.

Overall the Boom is the best thing since sliced bread.

MC

max.spicer
2008-09-02, 00:55
I think the alarm icon should stop flashing and the alarm turn off when you change from your alarm playlist to any other too.....

Well that's easily done - I'd be interested to hear other opinions on that. They'd have to include Dean's though. ;-)

It's a small thing though. The alarm works very well. It's the best alarm implementation I've ever come across. Simple, intuitive, powerful and highly configurable.

Thanks!

Max

Siduhe
2008-09-02, 00:59
Well that's easily done - I'd be interested to hear other opinions on that. They'd have to include Dean's though. ;-)

Thanks!

Max

I'd second that. Makes logical sense to me. Alarm Playlist=alarm active and icon flashing. Different playlist is no longer an alarm scenario but a listening session.

Out of curiosity - how many forum user opinions would you need to equate to Dean's? ;-)

max.spicer
2008-09-02, 01:29
Out of curiosity - how many forum user opinions would you need to equate to Dean's? ;-)

You're right of course, and forum opinions are a major factor in driving design decisions. I've opened http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9364. Please vote if you're for and comment if against. Please keep discussion in this thread though, in order to avoid spamming to many people on the bug mail.

Max

Siduhe
2008-09-02, 01:37
Thanks max. My comment was very tongue in cheek for the avoidance of all doubt. I was speculating about a number in the high hundreds....

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-02, 10:50
The user perceives the alarm through the fact that the music starts and so the natural thing to do to stop it is to stop the music. I think this is intuitive/discoverable and doesn't need further instruction. Noone who's used the alarm has needed to be told how to stop it - they already know how to stop music.

Yup, highly intuitive. To stop the alarm I simply turn Boom off using the front panel power button. I did this instinctively ever since my first beta Boom in April and it's worked for stopping the alarm every time, at least 3 times a day ever since.

Of course, finding the power button when roused from a deep sleep isn't so easy. :-) It's right there in front of me, it's even backlit, but sometimes my brain just isn't working yet and has no idea what to do.

androidtopp
2008-09-03, 11:14
The "snooze to snooze, power to shut off alarm" behavior is perfect - so long as it then kicks off at the same time, the next day (providing it is a daily alarm). The fact that power is hard to find might be a plus - I can whack snooze to shut it up, and then hunt for the power button to fully kill the alarm until tomorrow.

I had a clock once where you had to disable the alarm to get it to stop. And then remember to un-disable it or you wouldn't wake up the next morning. That one didn't last long.

I moved on to one that had the "snooze" and the "shut off alarm until this time tomorrow" button right next to each other. Hit the wrong one, and you sleep past your morning train.

Now...as soon as UPS gets it together...I will have the Boom.

But one potential (granted major) feature request: I know the web interface is awesome, and you can go crazy setting alarms from there. But it's not uncommon for me to be getting in to bed and realize that becuase of a different schedule tomorrow, need for weekend work, what have you, that my regular every day alarm isn't going to work tomorrow. Is there any way (given we have a nice big wheel controller) to put in a "one time only" alarm from the device itself? I'm lazy - it would save me from getting out of bed and finding a PC to configure another alarm.

Thanks,
Andrew

Mark Miksis
2008-09-03, 11:16
Is there any way (given we have a nice big wheel controller) to put in a "one time only" alarm from the device itself?

Sure, just add an alarm and uncheck "repeat alarm".

MeSue
2008-09-03, 12:44
Is there any way (given we have a nice big wheel controller) to put in a "one time only" alarm from the device itself? I'm lazy - it would save me from getting out of bed and finding a PC to configure another alarm.

All the alarm functions are very easy to set from the player. And, yes, one time alarms are possible. That is all I have ever used.

ModelCitizen
2008-09-03, 13:59
I'm lazy - it would save me from getting out of bed and finding a PC to configure another alarm.
The Boom is marketed as bedside alarm (amongst other things). It has a knob, lots of buttons, a display and a remote (...and lots of things to make it look good...)

I hope that potential customers don't expect to have to configure it with anything as inconvenient as a computer and a web browser. If they do then the Logitech marketing department has failed somewhat.

The web browser is becoming redundant as Logitech move the devices/system into the main stream and the original more geeky, computer based users become an increasingly insignificant percentage of the target market.

PS. As far as I am concerned this is not before time. :-)

MC

androidtopp
2008-09-03, 14:53
I should have known better than to be concerned.

To MC's comment - I've never seen pieces of hardware as carefully or thoughtfully designed as the SqueezeBox family - You'll have to pry my SB3 from my cold dead hands, and my father (with more disposable income than I) bought a Transporter based solely on a phone conversation with me - and I think you'd have to pretty much knock him out to get his. So let's hope that Logitech doesn't try to mainstream this too much - It's all the little quirky thoughtful features that make me so happy about these devices.

ModelCitizen
2008-09-03, 23:33
It's all the little quirky thoughtful features that make me so happy about these devices.
My comment doesn't imply that these will get knocked out. All I am really saying is that Logitech's focus is less on the web gui (and users who appear to be wedded to their computers) and more on the player UI (display/remote), the SBC (controller) and a market whose users who are less computer-centric.

I'm glad Logitech are increasingly concentrating on alternative ways to control the players (eg SBC) as I have always found the web UI slow, cumbersome and a pita to use, don't like to be wedded to a PC and much prefer using the players via their own UIs and the SBC (Controller).

It also means that they become more focussed on making the player UIs work better, which can only be a good thing.

MC

androidtopp
2008-09-04, 10:38
MC - granted, while I rarely use the web interface, I do find it awesome. I also do not own an SBC...but purely becuase I sunk a ton of money in to the Harmony One (which rocks) and just don't want a second remote around when I think the SB3 interface is fine.

But if Logitech/Slim Devices were to combine their powers and make an SBC with Harmone One caliber universal remote capabilities? I'd be first in line. That's pretty wishful thinking though.

ModelCitizen
2008-09-04, 12:41
But if Logitech/Slim Devices were to combine their powers Ummm... like Logitech buying SlimDevices? Seems pretty combined to me. One of the obvious results of this combination is the Boom (Logitech money, speaker and amplification extertise, SlimDevices SlimCenter, player and player UI)

and make an SBC with Harmony One caliber universal remote capabilities? I'd be first in line. That's pretty wishful thinking though.
I think there would be every possibility of Logitech including the interface to control their music players in their universal remotes. I'm sure this is one of the possible futures they were considering when they bought SlimDevices.

MC

androidtopp
2008-09-04, 19:06
Well, yes, I understand that Logitech has bought Slim Devices. But the Boom is the first example of their combined prowess. I'm definitely not saying that there's no knowledge sharing going on between the organizations. Products like the boom give me hope for a super duper...uhm..."Harmony Controller?"

I'm just thinking that combining a $250 IR remote control with a $300 Wifi music controller will end up being quite an expensive mashup, and not many people have both Squeezeboxes and the need for a pretty advanced touchscreen all in one remote. Granted, most people on this forum are thinking "who *wouldn't* buy one?"

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-05, 06:27
The fact that power is hard to find might be a plus - I can whack snooze to shut it up, and then hunt for the power button to fully kill the alarm until tomorrow.

Oh, it's not hard to find at all. It's on the front left corner of the panel and backlit.

It's just that my sleep addled-brain has no idea what to do when the alarm goes off sometimes. I guess it hasn't completed its boot-up sequence. :-)

androidtopp
2008-09-05, 07:01
Exactly - I have to "wake up" a little bit in order to be mentally capable of finding and pressing the power button. I'm trained by now to just flail wildly at the top of whatever is making noise in order to get it to shut up (for at least the next 9 minutes).

Dogberry2
2008-09-05, 07:50
The web browser is becoming redundant as Logitech move the devices/system into the main stream and the original more geeky, computer based users become an increasingly insignificant percentage of the target market.
Aw gee, you mean I'm being marginalized as a consumer?

(Note: the above comment is meant as a quip, not a gibe. I think it makes sense for LogiSlim(tm) to make their Squeeze line less PC-centric and more Mom & Pop oriented. It will make it easier for us geeks to "sell" the things to our wives.)

(Note 2: the above note is in no way intended to be demeaning or disrespectful to wives who are also themselves geeks.)

oreillymj
2008-09-09, 03:00
Max,

Can I make a suggestion. Perhaps this is already implemented.

If I wake early and decide to get up before the alarm is due to go off, my current alarm clock lets me disable the alarm, but if it's set daily, it will automatically re-enable it without me doing anything.

That means I can get up and not have to worry about the alarm waking my wife, or me having to remember to re-enable the alarm when going to bed 12 hours later.

So I'm thinking that if I double-click the snooze button, that the next programmed alarm is treated as if it had fired. The code which then automatically re-enables alarms that have been shut off takes over and re-schedules the alarm.

max.spicer
2008-09-09, 03:42
Max,

Can I make a suggestion. Perhaps this is already implemented.

If I wake early and decide to get up before the alarm is due to go off, my current alarm clock lets me disable the alarm, but if it's set daily, it will automatically re-enable it without me doing anything.

That means I can get up and not have to worry about the alarm waking my wife, or me having to remember to re-enable the alarm when going to bed 12 hours later.

So I'm thinking that if I double-click the snooze button, that the next programmed alarm is treated as if it had fired. The code which then automatically re-enables alarms that have been shut off takes over and re-schedules the alarm.

There isn't currently a way to disable an alarm in such a way that it will still automatically go off the next day. This would be a useful feature, but it wouldn't work to use the snooze button to do this as it would be far too easy to accidentally stop an alarm from going off. The snooze button is the easiest to hit button on the whole box and also is already configured to display the time whenever it is hit and an alarm is not going off. I'd be very interested in hearing other suggestions for how this feature could be implemented. It would be great if we could come up with a simple and intuitive way of doing this.

Here's one idea - just add a Cancel Next Alarm option under the Alarm Clock menu. Would that work?

Max

oreillymj
2008-09-09, 05:24
Well I suggested a double-click of Snooze, because I thought that that key press wouldn't already be in use. But I'm not sure if the Boom's firmware can detect a Dbl-click.

I'd rather not have to wade through menus at 6am

Perhaps maybe the Stop button could be used, as it wouldn't be in use unless music is playing.

Or perhaps it could be assigned as a function to one of the 6 Preset buttons.

Make it a menu item for those who aren't really interested in this functionality, that's assignable to one of the Preset keys for those, like me, who are.

androidtopp
2008-09-09, 06:23
I personally like the "cancel next alarm" idea - and it should definitely be under the top menu "Alarm Clock" item. I've not had to do this yet, as I've only been using my Boom for about a week now, but I definitely have had mornings in the past where I can't sleep until the alarm, and I just kill the alarm and go about my day.

And while wading through the menus isn't as easy as a keypress, it's more difficult to do by mistake, and I would argue that if you're awake enough to consider turning off the alarms pre-emptively, you're probably awake enough to nav through a couple menus.

oreillymj
2008-09-09, 06:55
Actually my current alarm clock/ipod dock has 2 settable alarms per day with 2 fixed function buttons to allow you to enable/disable each alarm.

Rather then calling something "Cancel next alarm" which gives some impression of permanence.

How about 2 new options?

Postpone next alarm.
Postpone all of toady's alarms.

If these were added to the Alarm menu, but could be assigned to the preset buttons, I'd be delighted.

I suspect that I'm not the only person who has limited use for internet radio. The 2 FM stations I do listen to, seem to change streaming providers/urls every month. They've gotten to the stage that their url's are pointless to bookmark. They never work when I go back to them.

So my 6 preset button will probably be unused.

If they could be assigned other functions, I think it could solve a lot of other problems then just postponing alarms.

Howard Passman
2008-09-09, 08:04
Well I suggested a double-click of Snooze, because I thought that that key press wouldn't already be in use. But I'm not sure if the Boom's firmware can detect a Dbl-click.

I'd rather not have to wade through menus at 6am

Perhaps maybe the Stop button could be used, as it wouldn't be in use unless music is playing.

Or perhaps it could be assigned as a function to one of the 6 Preset buttons.

Make it a menu item for those who aren't really interested in this functionality, that's assignable to one of the Preset keys for those, like me, who are.

6:00 A.M.!! What do you need an alarm clock for?! Just kidding and very jealous.

3:30 a.m. riser

oreillymj
2008-09-09, 08:44
I don't go to sleep. I'm in a borderline coma :-)

bwakker
2008-09-12, 14:06
And while wading through the menus isn't as easy as a keypress, it's more difficult to do by mistake, and I would argue that if you're awake enough to consider turning off the alarms pre-emptively, you're probably awake enough to nav through a couple menus.

I was just going to post a question about "how to cancel an alarm before it goes off", then I read this thread. I have to say I do not agree with your opinion: Usually I do wake up a bit before my alarm goes off, and from normal clocks I expect to be able to disarm the alarm with a simple action.

Often I am half in coma when waking up, but I do not want to wait until the alarm really goes off. In such a state, it is a real pain to have to switch on the boom and browse through menus to prevent the alarm from going off. I would really hope that it shall be possible to press some button in order to disarm it; when it would be just disarmed for today (so I don't have to reenable it for tommorrow) that would be optimal.

BoomerBob
2008-09-12, 16:09
The alarm also switches itself off automatically after an hour, so even if you leave it set when you go away, it won't play all day.

Great! I'll stop worrying about that now.

btw, great product! Really like it.

mrthreeplates
2008-09-16, 12:51
Canceling the alarm before it disturbs others
nearby is a very, very desirable feature. I
often get up before the alarm goes off.

Has a bug/feature been filed for this yet? If
so, I'd love to vote for it.

BTW: I haven't tried this, but would turning on
the SBB (without playing anything) do the trick
as a workaround? In other words, are alarms
disabled when the SBB is already on?

Note that I leave my SBB connected to Squeezenetwork
most of the time, so this feature should work
with SN not just SC.

Thanks,

George

max.spicer
2008-09-16, 13:38
Canceling the alarm before it disturbs others
nearby is a very, very desirable feature. I
often get up before the alarm goes off.

Has a bug/feature been filed for this yet? If
so, I'd love to vote for it.

It has now. Bug 9510.

BTW: I haven't tried this, but would turning on
the SBB (without playing anything) do the trick
as a workaround? In other words, are alarms
disabled when the SBB is already on?

No, the alarm would still go off.

Max

MrC
2008-09-16, 18:40
Voted for 9510. A nice, future feature that would make wifey very happy.

MaXGTS
2008-09-18, 12:04
Can the volume be reset back to the original level after the alarm has been shut off? For instance, lets say I was listening to music at 20% volume. I shut off the Boom. At 5:00am my alarm goes off at my predetermined volume of 80%. I disable it by hitting the power button. I go to work. I come home and hit the power button on the Boom and then hit play on my favorite radio station. I get a pretty good scare because the volume was still at 80%. Can the next firmware update have the volume revert back to 20% in this example?

Thanks...

andyg
2008-09-18, 12:10
On Sep 18, 2008, at 3:04 PM, MaXGTS wrote:

>
> Can the volume be reset back to the original level after the alarm has
> been shut off? For instance, lets say I was listening to music at 20%
> volume. I shut off the Boom. At 5:00am my alarm goes off at my
> predetermined volume of 80%. I disable it by hitting the power
> button.
> I go to work. I come home and hit the power button on the Boom and
> then hit play on my favorite radio station. I get a pretty good scare
> because the volume was still at 80%. Can the next firmware update
> have
> the volume revert back to 20% in this example?

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9405

MeSue
2008-09-18, 12:11
Can the volume be reset back to the original level after the alarm has been shut off? For instance, lets say I was listening to music at 20% volume. I shut off the Boom. At 5:00am my alarm goes off at my predetermined volume of 80%. I disable it by hitting the power button. I go to work. I come home and hit the power button on the Boom and then hit play on my favorite radio station. I get a pretty good scare because the volume was still at 80%.

There is a plugin that can do this, though it is not tied to using the alarm. It resets the volume to the level you set each time it is turned on.

I use it because I move my Boom from the bedroom to poolside, and when I use it outside I put the volume so high that it blasts my ears when I move it back inside and turn it on.

Here's the site for the plugin: http://www.koldware.com/SlimStuff/

MaXGTS
2008-09-18, 18:40
Thanks MeSue. That plugin solved my issue. :)

oreillymj
2008-10-30, 05:11
Ok, I've only had my Boom 2 days and while I think it's fantastic, I can't shut it off in the morning.

I've never used "Snooze" on any alarm clock I've owned. I prefer to just knock it off and get up straight away. So I either get up for work, or arrive in late ;-)

Yesterday I tried hitting pause to stop the alarm and hit FFWD. After a bit of fiddling I eventually found pause after waking the wife.

This morning I decided to try the power button and hit preset 1 which brought on a radio station at a much higher volume then the replaygain'd playlist I'd set for the alarm. Again, I started getting a few angry punches in the back :-(

Not so good for the WAF.

So I'd like to map pause to a much easier to find button. Preferably the rotary knob, but holding the snooze bar looks like it might be more feasible.

So do I change snooze.hold=pause in default.map and create a custom boom.map file?

pause.single = pause
pause.hold = stop
play.single = play
play.hold = play
power = power_toggle
power_front = power_toggle
power_off = power_off
power_on = power_on
add.single = add
add.hold = zap
sleep.single = sleep
sleep.hold = sleep
snooze.single = snooze
snooze.hold = sleep

BTW - I'd also recommend adding a small "nipple" to the pause/power buttons to ease accessibility similar to the 5 button on phones.