PDA

View Full Version : Artwork (sort of) missing in 7.2

Evan_E
2008-08-31, 21:40
I've just upgraded from 7.1 to 7.2, and I think that may have been a mistake. All my MP3s have artwork embedded in them, and SlimServer/SqueezeCenter, up until now (since version 5 or so), has been able to display the artwork. However, I'm now seeing "blank" icons for all albums in Album view. If I click on an album, though, the resulting page shows the proper artwork, and if I go back to album view the proper artwork will then be showing for that particular album.

But since I have 1400 albums, I think you can understand why I don't want to click on every single album to fix this.

I've tried multiple browsers, deleting the cache on each one, stopping & restarting SqueezeCenter, and doing a full rescan of my library multiple times. I'm using iTunes to manage my music, and SqueezeCenter scans my iTunes information. iTunes 7.5, running on Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4. This was all working fine in SqueezeCenter 7.1.

Any suggestions?

Evan_E
2008-09-03, 06:19
Well, lacking any other solution, I spent 90 minutes clicking on every one of my 1408 albums. I'm curious as to whether anybody else has had this problem, though, and if I missed a "regenerate artwork" button deep in the bowels of Settings.

aubuti
2008-09-03, 11:45
I don't have experience with having iTunes manage my library, but usually SC has an artwork cache with the rest of the database cache. Deleting that cache would be the first thing I would try. Note that I'm talking about SC's cache here, not your browser's cache.

Daren
2008-09-03, 11:56
I get this behaviour for added music. This has been the case since 7.0 and can only be resolved by doing a lengthy clear and rescan. Support have never been able to replicate it but it happens consistently for me.

Evan_E
2008-09-04, 05:49
I don't have experience with having iTunes manage my library, but usually SC has an artwork cache with the rest of the database cache. Deleting that cache would be the first thing I would try. Note that I'm talking about SC's cache here, not your browser's cache.Done that multiple times. After a rescan, there is no Artwork Cache directory. As soon as I click on an album, the directory is created, and is populated with the artwork for that album. Click on another album, and the artwork for that album is added to the cache.

Hmm, it looks like the post-processing is aborting. Latest log reads:

[08-09-04 08:05:01.9686] Slim::Utils::SoundCheck::normStringTodB (71) Warning: Illegal hexadecimal digit 'r' ignored at /Users/evane/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Utils/SoundCheck.pm line 71.
[08-09-04 08:05:01.9696] Slim::Utils::SoundCheck::normStringTodB (71) Warning: Illegal hexadecimal digit 't' ignored at /Users/evane/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Utils/SoundCheck.pm line 71.
[08-09-04 08:05:01.9701] Slim::Utils::SoundCheck::normStringTodB (71) Warning: Illegal hexadecimal digit 'y' ignored at /Users/evane/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Utils/SoundCheck.pm line 71.
[08-09-04 08:05:01.9705] Slim::Utils::SoundCheck::normStringTodB (71) Warning: Illegal hexadecimal digit 'y' ignored at /Users/evane/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Utils/SoundCheck.pm line 71.
[08-09-04 08:05:01.9709] Slim::Utils::SoundCheck::normStringTodB (71) Warning: Illegal hexadecimal digit 'P' ignored at /Users/evane/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Utils/SoundCheck.pm line 71.
[08-09-04 08:07:43.9178] Carp::carp (271) Warning: Size mismatch on 97 0
at /Users/evane/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Formats/MP3.pm line 163
[08-09-04 08:11:25.5746] main::main (219) Error: Failed when running main scan: [Can't call method "content_type" on an undefined value at /Users/evane/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Schema.pm line 1155.
]
[08-09-04 08:11:25.5751] main::main (220) Error: Skipping post-process & Not updating lastRescanTime!

This is on the exact same library & settings as was working fine under 7.1, so I don't think it's a problem with a file, unless there are file types/formats that stopped working under 7.2.

flacfan
2008-09-15, 16:16
The way I get around this is to go to the prefs. page (I don't remember exact menu name, Interface - Thumbnail Size, I think) change it even by a pixel and it would "rescan" and display the proper artwork. You can change the Thumbnail Size back and forth; it seems the artwork is reordered properly right away.

It's annoying to have to do it in the first place. I think SS should be doing it automatically upon rescanning the library.

Bully
2008-09-15, 16:26
Well, lacking any other solution, I spent 90 minutes clicking on every one of my 1408 albums. I'm curious as to whether anybody else has had this problem, though, and if I missed a "regenerate artwork" button deep in the bowels of Settings.

I tried this, however when I rescanned my entire library it lost all the artwork again. Have you tried that?

brucegrr
2008-09-16, 19:08
Daren,

Same problem here. A new music scan does not show some of the artwork for the new music. The artwork is there because when I click on the link for the album the album art shows.

A complete rescan fixes it.

This has only happened for me in 7.2.

flacfan
2008-09-17, 09:22
Daren,

Same problem here. A new music scan does not show some of the artwork for the new music. The artwork is there because when I click on the link for the album the album art shows.

A complete rescan fixes it.

This has only happened for me in 7.2.

I am not sure if we are all experiencing exactly the same problem but I've seen mine happen for a while, even before 7.2
After a complete rescan, usually after adding some new music, the artwork appears shuffled. What I mean is, a new album would show up with another's artwork.
Only after I change the setting for the thumbnail size SS would display the artwork properly. I wonder if this is a know bug or should I try to open a new bug report.

browellm
2008-09-18, 01:20
I also get the same behaviour as reported here.

morris_minor
2008-10-06, 09:56
I've another 7.2 album art issue:

Sometimes after a rescan a few thumbnails in SC are wrong - the wrong cover's been picked up (a different cover.jpg from a different folder). However, the full size image file is right, and the controller displays all art correctly. It's just the SC thumbnails that exhibit this behaviour.

Another rescan often fixes the original errors, but sometimes introduces new ones. Clearing the browser cache has no effect, either.

yooper
2008-10-07, 06:51
Count me in as having the same issue too. I'm not sure which version of SC the problem started, but I'm thinking I have had the problem for at least a year.

Mark

herts101
2008-10-15, 10:26
I had the same problem as the OP in SC7.2

Solved problem by unchecking my "Use MusicIP" setting and doing a full rescan.
This bought all the artwork back. I then re. checked the Music IP box and did a "New and Changed" scan.
The artwork stayed in place.

Not sure if this is a MusicIP issue or just that this forced SC to do the correct rescans but it worked for me!

Peter.

jeebers
2008-10-15, 12:16
I've another 7.2 album art issue:

Sometimes after a rescan a few thumbnails in SC are wrong - the wrong cover's been picked up (a different cover.jpg from a different folder). However, the full size image file is right, and the controller displays all art correctly. It's just the SC thumbnails that exhibit this behaviour.

Another rescan often fixes the original errors, but sometimes introduces new ones. Clearing the browser cache has no effect, either.

I have the same problem - bug reported here: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8317

Kuro
2008-10-22, 08:36
The bug I found with 7.2 is that if I added an album artwork at a later date, a rescan of changes would not pick up the artwork. Only a complete scan will pickup the added artwork.

If the artwork JPEG is present when an album is added, then rescan changes will pick up the artwork fine.

This bug does not appear in SC 7.1.

Marvin Adeff
2008-12-28, 10:35
The bug I found with 7.2 is that if I added an album artwork at a later date, a rescan of changes would not pick up the artwork. Only a complete scan will pickup the added artwork.

If the artwork JPEG is present when an album is added, then rescan changes will pick up the artwork fine.

This bug does not appear in SC 7.1.

My library managed by iTunes, running SqueezeCenter 7.3.1 - 24372. I am having the same issue. A full scan picks up all artwork, but adding new albums followed by scan for "new and changed" brings the album in without artwork.