PDA

View Full Version : Boom issues...

Govnah
2008-08-31, 10:13
Currently I own 3 SB3 and a Transporter and never had an issue, all great products. Based on SLimdevices stellar products in the past I purchased a SBB and it was delivered Friday and unimpressed so far. The most current issue is every time I try and connect to Squeezecenter the SBB just displays a black/blank display and is unresponsive and I have to hold the power button to get the SBB to respond. Sometimes I will receive "Welcome To Squeezecnter" and other times the SBB will prompt me to setup networking again. Very frustrating as I am probably sending this back first thing Monday. All other Slimdevice products function flawlessly.

Mark Miksis
2008-08-31, 10:17
I don't recall anyone reporting similar symptoms during beta. Maybe it's a defective unit.

Are you using wired or wireless? The first thing I'd do it test it wired just to rule out wireless issues. (BTW, most testers reported that the Boom wireless performs better that the SB3.)

Phil Leigh
2008-08-31, 10:54
I don't recall anyone reporting similar symptoms during beta. Maybe it's a defective unit.

Are you using wired or wireless? The first thing I'd do it test it wired just to rule out wireless issues. (BTW, most testers reported that the Boom wireless performs better that the SB3.)

You ARE running SC 7.2 aren't you? - It won't work with other releases...

For reasons I don't understand the Boom wi-fi performance does indeed exceed that of the SB3.

I've never had the problem described and don't recall anyone else having it either. I suggest you call the support number as you may have a defective unit (again not something I've heard of before, but...)

Mark Miksis
2008-08-31, 10:57

I haven't tested Boom with an old SC release, but I thought the firmware had a built-in feature that detects old versions of SC and displays a message saying you need to upgrade. Trying to connect to SN instead of SC would also help track down the source of the problem.

pippin
2008-08-31, 12:05
no, that is exactly the behavior I got when I tried to connect it to an old SC. Upgrade to 7.2

Govnah
2008-08-31, 12:07
Thanks for the replies....No reason to wire this up as all of my other WIFI devices operate fine. Just to add another note...I just held the power button until the SBB powered up and now the SBB is hard-locked and displaying "Welcome to Squeezebox"...and yes I am running SC 7.2. The customerservices is hoorible as I had an issue Friday called the number located in the documentation and I was hold for ~40 minutes and eventually hung-up and resolved the issue myself. Very frustrating and maybe I have a defective unit.

Here is the version I am running:

SqueezeCenter Version: 7.2 - 22900 @ Tue Aug 26 10:59:02 PDT 2008 - freebsd - EN - utf8
Server IP address: 192.168.1.250
Perl Version: 5.8.8 i386-freebsd-64int
MySQL Version: 5.0.33

Platform Architecture: i386-freebsd

Hostname: freenas.mindshovel

Server Port Number: 9000

Total Players Recognized: 4

Is this the correct version/build?

bpa
2008-08-31, 12:17
No reason to wire this up as all of my other WIFI devices operate fine.

Wifi board may have comes loose in your unit - testing with wired will check whether the problem is just Wifi or whole unit.

dminches
2008-08-31, 12:25

Just to clarify, it won't work with SS 6.5.4? I ask because it seems like SC 7.x does not decode SHNs and I have many SHN sets in my library. Thus, I do not want to upgrade to SC but this could lock me out of getting an SBB.

Govnah
2008-08-31, 12:41
Seems this is an issue with Squeezenetwork and working fine until this morning. As long as I do not attempt to connect to Squeezenetwork the SBB operates fine. When I do try and connect, the SBB will seem to get confused and I get a black/blank screen and once I powewr cycle I get the "Welcome to squeezebox." As long as I do not connect to Squeezenetoek all is fine....Any ideas?

Thanks

funkstar
2008-08-31, 12:42
Just to clarify, it won't work with SS 6.5.4? I ask because it seems like SC 7.x does not decode SHNs and I have many SHN sets in my library. Thus, I do not want to upgrade to SC but this could lock me out of getting an SBB.
Correct, Boom requires SC7.2+, just like both the Controller and Reciever require SC7.0+.

dwegmull
2008-08-31, 12:46
Seems this is an issue with Squeezenetwork and working fine until this morning. As long as I do not attempt to connect to Squeezenetwork the SBB operates fine. When I do try and connect, the SBB will seem to get confused and I get a black/blank screen and once I powewr cycle I get the "Welcome to squeezebox." As long as I do not connect to Squeezenetoek all is fine....Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi,
I'm having the exact same issue. I can connect to Squeezecenter but not Squeezenetwork...

Greetings,
David

EnochLight
2008-08-31, 16:08

Thanks

Hi,
I'm having the exact same issue. I can connect to Squeezecenter but not Squeezenetwork...

Greetings,
David

To the both if you: please let me know what your solution eventually is. I don't use SC right now and plan to use SqueezeNetwork exclusively. If the SB is having issues with SN I'd like to prepare as mine arrives this Friday.

Cheers!

EnochLight

bklaas
2008-08-31, 16:13
I came across this issue with my Boom and it turned out to be that the player brightness was set to 0 (cause unknown). One thing to try is see if you can connect to this player via the Web UI and play something. That will at least narrow down whether this is a trivial-to-fix issue (display brightness), or a send-it-back issue (bad hardware).

hope that helps-
#!/ben

dean
2008-08-31, 16:16
Anybody who's having a problem connecting to SN with a Boom, please post as many details about the behavior as possible...

mrthreeplates
2008-08-31, 16:17
Not a brightness issue (for me) as I can still see the display.

Govnah
2008-08-31, 19:21
Not a brightness from my perspective either...I do not know what other information to provide other than what I have posted already. From what I have read seems this happened during the beta period as well. If Slim Devices can not get this resolved mine will be going back as I will be using SN mostly rather than SC with my SBB. If there is any information you need specifically please let me know and I will post accordingly.

Thanks

Govnah
2008-08-31, 19:27
Works fine via SC and I can't connect to SN as the SBB will just display a black/blank screen and I have go throught the setup agaon to connect to SC.

Thanks

I came across this issue with my Boom and it turned out to be that the player brightness was set to 0 (cause unknown). One thing to try is see if you can connect to this player via the Web UI and play something. That will at least narrow down whether this is a trivial-to-fix issue (display brightness), or a send-it-back issue (bad hardware).

hope that helps-
#!/ben

Mnyb
2008-08-31, 21:21
Govnah , can you log in to the SqeezeNetwork website and see the SBB there ?
And maybe control it from there ?
The person suggesting you should check via web UI probably meant SqeezeNetworks WEB UI

If you see it you can then check it's settings ? (display brightness)

You have one set of settings in your local SC
And one other set of settings on SN (which your SB* uses while at SN)

mrthreeplates
2008-08-31, 21:42
I'm not able to control the Boom via SN UI at all since
this problem started early this morning. Can't power it on,
play streams, control brightness, etc. The Boom itself is
unresponsive other than when I force it to reconnect back
to SC (at which point it starts working again).

My two other SB3s work fine via the same SN UI.

andyg
2008-08-31, 22:02
On Sep 1, 2008, at 12:42 AM, mrthreeplates wrote:

>
> I'm not able to control the Boom via SN UI at all since
> this problem started early this morning. Can't power it on,
> play streams, control brightness, etc. The Boom itself is
> unresponsive other than when I force it to reconnect back
> to SC (at which point it starts working again).
>
> My two other SB3s work fine via the same SN UI.

Hang in there guys, I think I've found the problem and it should be
fixed shortly.

Michaelwagner
2008-09-01, 04:27
What service! Labour Day weekend and bugs are getting fixed!

ccrome2
2008-09-01, 04:33
We aim to please!

I'm back in the US, responding to my email at 4:30 am Sunday Night :-)

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 4:27 AM, Michaelwagner <
Michaelwagner.3f23nz1220268603 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> What service! Labour Day weekend and bugs are getting fixed!
>
>
> --
> Michaelwagner
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Michaelwagner's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=428
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=51800
>
>

Govnah
2008-09-01, 07:10
I can report that my SBB is now working via SN just fine and thanks for the efficient resolution. Just curious if Andy could chime in here again and briefly explain the issue.

Thanks

andyg
2008-09-01, 08:06
On Sep 1, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Govnah wrote:

>
> I can report that my SBB is now working via SN just fine and thanks
> for
> the efficient resolution. Just curious if Andy could chime in here
> again and briefly explain the issue.

There was a bug where if you had bass/treble prefs stored in the SN
database, it would crash when trying to set these on initial connect.
Thus you'd never get any graphic frames from the server and it would
hang.

mrthreeplates
2008-09-01, 08:28
Mine is now working as well. Much thanks for the quick fix and explanation! BTW: I don't recall setting the Bass/Treble prefs, but I did play the StereoXL mode. A special thanks for the weekend/holiday support and another excellent product!

dwegmull
2008-09-01, 09:03
Mine is good as well. Thanks a lot!

JasonJoel
2008-09-01, 09:19
Weird wonder how that made it through the beta. Would have thought that would have been something people tried (aka not a super-obtuse / hard to find setting).

But I do know it is hard to catch everything!

Jason

ModelCitizen
2008-09-01, 10:11
Weird wonder how that made it through the beta.
maybe the ability to adjust the bass and treble was added very late in the design process. :-)

MC

ccrome2
2008-09-01, 10:30
On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 10:11 AM, ModelCitizen <
ModelCitizen.3f2jmz1220289303 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> JasonJoel;335285 Wrote:
> > Weird wonder how that made it through the beta.
> maybe the ability to adjust the bass and treble was added very late in
> the design process. :-)

How true...

dean
2008-09-01, 10:52
Andy believes that this issue is fixed on SN now, so if anyone _is_
still having problems, please speak up!

EnochLight
2008-09-01, 11:32
What tremendous service - thanks to Slim for coming through on a holiday weekend! Cheers guys - and try to get some rest!

EnochLight

iPhone
2008-09-04, 09:58
Weird wonder how that made it through the beta. Would have thought that would have been something people tried (aka not a super-obtuse / hard to find setting).

But I do know it is hard to catch everything!

Jason

Probably because all the Beta users were directed to a separate Boom SN server during the Beta to prevent the knowledge of Boom from leaking/appearing outside the Beta Project. Which my Duet would not connect to for some reason, it and my TP stayed on the normal SN server during the Beta even though only my TP stayed on my ss 6.5.4 Linux Ubuntu NAS.

tom permutt
2009-09-16, 11:56
A very similar thing is happening to me, notwithstanding that this problem was said to have been fixed. I have a new Boom as well as an old Squeezebox 2. If I am connected to SqueezeCenter and try to switch to SqueezeNetwork on either Squeezebox, the box shuts off. If I press the power button, it winks on, then shuts off again. If I hold the power button, it starts up with "Obtaining IP address" (from a garden-variety Linksys DHCP/NAT router) and comes up OK - connected to SqueezeNetwork. So, it "works," but not as designed, right?

tom permutt
2009-09-16, 16:19
I looked at network settings and found both boxes had stored a gateway address I formerly used for a now-retired router. I suppose when I rebooted them, they acquired a proper routing table allowing a connection to SqueezeCenter, but they still retained the incorrect gateway address and tried it first, every time. Redoing the network setup corrected the problem.