PDA

View Full Version : mac local hostname problem

whitman
2008-08-31, 07:59
I dug into the archives to find this thread ...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=39555

... as I've been getting this same problem. Frequently, I get the error message "This computer's local hostname XX is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to XX-1 automatically."

I have an iMac, running 10.5.4 and Slimserver 6.5.1.

I go up to XX-65 and so thought it was about time I did something. So I changed the hostname back to XX in the Sharing panel, on Eric Seaberg's advice, but it's still doing the error message thing every now and again. I don't understand Eric's stuff about static IP addresses and so on. Eric, or any other kindly Mac users, can you help?

Eric Seaberg
2008-08-31, 08:22
What kind of router do you have? That's what keeps changing the name of the iMac during power-up or reboot. Giving the Mac a static IP won't fix this, unfortunately. My MacMINI has a static IP and I get the same message when I restart my router.

whitman
2008-08-31, 09:53
Hello Eric, and thanks for replying. Do you mean what brand and model router? It's a Netgear WGR614.

Eric Seaberg
2008-08-31, 10:24
Is it power-cycling or rebooting? Do you turn everything OFF, including the router? Try NOT turning off the router, at least, if that's the case.

whitman
2008-08-31, 14:11
When I put the computer to sleep at night (ahhh) I turn the router off, too, as a matter of course. I think I do that because I think it's safer. Hmmm, probably not? Is that what you meant?

Eric Seaberg
2008-08-31, 19:47
YES!!!! Leave the router ON as it's reassigning a new 'name' to the iMac everytime stuff boots up.

Let me know if this makes a difference. It should, since the router is what's handling the naming architecture.

whitman
2008-08-31, 23:43
OK, I left the router on last night. No message this morning. Bodes well. I'll test for a few more days.

So (naive question coming), it is safe to leave the router on overnight?

whitman
2008-09-06, 03:23
Thanks Eric, that really does seem to have fixed it.

Phil Leigh
2008-09-06, 03:40
OK, I left the router on last night. No message this morning. Bodes well. I'll test for a few more days.

So (naive question coming), it is safe to leave the router on overnight?

It's as safe as leaving anything similar on overnight...like a mains powered clock radio for example.

rew1000
2008-09-06, 08:07
YES!!!! Leave the router ON as it's reassigning a new 'name' to the iMac everytime stuff boots up.

Let me know if this makes a difference. It should, since the router is what's handling the naming architecture.

Are you sure about the router handling the naming? I'm suffering from the same problem, and by the looks of things on the web, so are quite a few people, but I haven't seen a definitive answer.

I agree that power-cycling the router provokes the problem, so avoiding doing that is a good idea, but I'm curious as to what exactly is going on.

From what I can tell, there are times when power-cycling a router will lead to the assignment of a new IP address, but I'm unclear as to why this should require a new name...