PDA

View Full Version : Maybe an enhancement to LastFM Scrobbling?

TonyM
2008-08-31, 07:22
Hi All,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but my wife asked a question of me the other night that got me thinking of a feature that would be really useful (to us) if it could be implemented...

At presents, as far as I'm aware, the AudioScrobbler only differentiates between LastFM accounts based on the player. What would be really nice is if somehow, the user id of whoever adds tracks to a playlist can also be logged and THAT user's LastFM account be used to Scrobble that particular track. That way we could each listen to our own music (on the same player) and yet still have our own selected music tracks scrobbled to our own accounts.

I realise that this could be a big issue as you then need some way of requesting each user's name (via the web interface) and via the Controller, storing it in the DB, associating it with the LastFM accounts, etc, etc.

It was "just a thought"! ;-)

Cheers,
Tony

andyg
2008-08-31, 09:09
On Aug 31, 2008, at 10:22 AM, TonyM wrote:

>
> Hi All,
>
> I don't know if this is the right place to post this but my wife asked
> a question of me the other night that got me thinking of a feature
> that
> would be really useful (to us) if it could be implemented...
>
> At presents, as far as I'm aware, the AudioScrobbler only
> differentiates between LastFM accounts based on the player. What would
> be really nice is if somehow, the user id of whoever adds tracks to a
> playlist can also be logged and THAT user's LastFM account be used to
> Scrobble that particular track. That way we could each listen to our
> own music (on the same player) and yet still have our own selected
> music tracks scrobbled to our own accounts.
>
> I realise that this could be a big issue as you then need some way of
> requesting each user's name (via the web interface) and via the
> Controller, storing it in the DB, associating it with the LastFM
> accounts, etc, etc.
>
> It was "just a thought"! ;-)

This is probably something we can consider along with the multi-user
library support. http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=825

Philip Meyer
2008-09-03, 09:11
I was thinking similar ideas - I'm using Erland's Muli-library plugin; configure a lastFM account for each library and then perhaps when a track is to be scrobbled, the plugin could be interrogated to determine what library the song belongs to.

Of course, that ties the lastFM plugin to a third-party plugin, so it's a non-starter, but perhaps the lastFM plugin could tie lastFM accounts to music-library sub-folder paths. eg. anything under "M:\Music\Phil's Music\" would be associated with Phil's lastFM account, and "M:\Music\Alex's Music\" would be associated with Alex's lastFM account. That's quite an easy quick-fix solution, I would guess.

erland
2008-09-03, 11:18
IMHO opinion it should be tied to a library, binding it to a path is just a temporary solution that works in some cases but doesn't work in other cases. I agree with Andy that the built-in solution is appropriate to consider implementing at the same time as the multi-user library support.

Does anyone know when the LastFM plugin submits a track ? Is it at the beginning or end of a song ?

If it is at the end of the song it would probably be possible to make a plugin that check which library a song belongs to when it starts to play and change the scrobbling user based on this. If it submits the information when the track starts to play it will probably be a bit harder to solve this without modifying the LastFM plugin. I'm not sure I like the idea of implementing this directly in Multi Library plugin since it would make it more complex than necessary, but I think it would be possible to do as a third party plugin that is dependent on both LastFM and Multi Library plugin. However, if the roadmap dates are still valid and 7.3 with multi-user library support is scheduled at first november, I'm not sure it is worth to do a temporary solution.

Philip Meyer
2008-09-03, 11:44
I agree it should be all be tied in together with personas - multi users/libraries/settings, etc.

>If it is at the end of the song it would probably be possible to make a
>plugin that check which library a song belongs to when it starts to play
>and change the scrobbling user based on this.
I like that idea.

I think it scrobbles after n seconds into a song; can't remember the exact rules.

One problem though in working out what library a song belongs to is that with Multi-library, a song may belong to more than one library. The new plugin could create an ordered mapping of library->LastFM account. When a song starts, the plugin would find the first library in the list that contains the current song, and change the lastFM account accordingly.

Sounds quite easy, apart for creating the settings page to map multi-libraries to lastFM accounts.