PDA

View Full Version : MusicIP implementation - bit odd?

ModelCitizen
2008-08-31, 01:27
I may well be missing something but it seems to me that when I use a player UI to create a MusicIP mix from a track then it should by default add the new playlist after the currently playing track and play it.

Currently after I've created a mix I have to then select to play the mix which restarts the song I'm currently listening to (i.e the one I've created the mix from). This is alway annoying.

If I've not missed something obvious and any MusicIP users agree with me I'll raise an enhancement for 7.2.1.

MC

schiegl
2008-08-31, 05:06
Hi,

I basically use two ways to create MIP mixes:
1.) I'm listening to a track and want more of this => create MIP mix
2.) I'm either browsing the current playlist or generally surfing through my library when i find a track/album i want to hear/use as starting point => create a MIP mix

In the first case i agree that it's annoying to hear the same track again, but in my other use case this isn't true and i don't want to miss the start.
I'd also like to see the mix before it's added to the playlist, just to be sure it meets my taste. If it doesn't i create another mix...

I mainly use the Webinterface/Controller for the initial listening setup so it's easier to look ahead (use case 2). When using the Player UI only, i'm reverting to the first approach...

kind regards,
Markus

tamanaco
2008-08-31, 06:31
Currently after I've created a mix I have to then select to play the mix which restarts the song I'm currently listening to (i.e the one I've created the mix from). This is alway annoying.
MC

I agree, there should be at least two options after an "acceptable" MusicIP mix is created.

1. Play the MusicIP mix "after" the currently playing song/playlist
2. Play the MusicIP mix from the beginning

With ability to set 1 or 2 as the default behavior. This also opens the possibility of having an option to save the "merged" MusicIP + currently playing Song/Playlist.

The other option, outside MusicIP, is to use SugarCube. But there is no option to preview the mix as the subsequent added tracks are based on the currently playing song and added after the currently playing song and/or currently playing playlist. I like SugarCube a lot as it acts as a Virtual DJ, but I can not exploit its full potential because it stops working if the next MusicIP selected track has extended characters in its path or filename. I'm hopping for this to be fixed in the near future. The SugarCube MusicIP based mixes are quite different from those created by the MusicIP mixer. MusicIP uses a single seed to create the mix while SugarCube uses multiple seeds.

ModelCitizen
2008-08-31, 08:32
there should be at least two options after an "acceptable" MusicIP mix is created.

1. Play the MusicIP mix "after" the currently playing song/playlist
2. Play the MusicIP mix from the beginning

With ability to set 1 or 2 as the default behavior.

Currently there's a feeling against including too many options in SlimCenter but including this little option in the MusicIP plugin settings would be very handy I think.

MC

sebp
2008-08-31, 09:43
I'd rather go without any option and best of both world :
When starting a MiP mix, replace the current playlist with the mix, but don't restart the currently playing song if it's been used as the seed of the mix.

ModelCitizen
2008-08-31, 11:38
I'd rather go without any option and best of both world :
When starting a MiP mix, replace the current playlist with the mix, but don't restart the currently playing song if it's been used as the seed of the mix.
But that wouldn't suit schiegl/Markus (see above) as he'd like to see the mix before it's added to the playlist, just to be sure it meets his taste.

MC

sebp
2008-08-31, 12:40
But that wouldn't suit schiegl/Markus (see above) as he'd like to see the mix before it's added to the playlist, just to be sure it meets his taste.
I don't see what would prevent them to see what's been mixed by MiP before they press the play or '+' button (or select the "play this mix" option).

Unless I'm wrong, what may be missing is a way to create and start (or insert after the currently playing song or at the end of the current playlist) a MiP mix at once, using a single button press, so that it would suit to your taste.

My preferences would be that when there's nothing playing on the Squeezebox yet, the MiP mix starts automatically. But I'd prefer reviewing it if there's already something playing (so that I can change my mind). In the later case, when I press the play button, if the mix has been created from what's playing now, I'd like the currently playing song not to be restarted.

pippin
2008-08-31, 13:10
Currently there's a feeling against including too many options in SlimCenter but including this little option in the MusicIP plugin settings would be very handy I think.

MC

Umm, err, cough, cough,...
Use iPeng :-)

Ooops.. or the WebUI.

ModelCitizen
2008-08-31, 14:02
Umm, err, cough, cough,...
Use iPeng :-)

Doesn't that mean shelling out for new hardware (and made by the devils own too)?

Ooops.. or the WebUI.

Yes, perhaps I could strap a laptop to my back so it was with me as I cut the grass, cleaned the car, played with my child, worked in the workshop, painted a wall, dug my pond etc... I suppose an added advantage is I'd be able to make a nice cup of tea whilst I waited for the web UI to do anything.

So sorry. I know you were only joking.

MC

schiegl
2008-09-01, 08:50
Hi,

would this pseudo function meet all (listed) requirements?

request_mip_mix(seed-track/album/genre)

if (seed-track/album/genre = playing)
number-of-tracks-to-request=n+1
call-mip-api
remove-first-track-from-response
else
number-of-tracks-to-request=n
call-mip-api

if (option="play immediately")
replace playlist with mix, start playing
if (option="append to playlist")
append mix to player-playlist
else (option="preview mix")
preview mix as normal-playlist (the same as it's now)

I agree that adding more options is not desirable. But i think you cannot decide - based on context only - which of those "opposing" functions like "preview-first" and "play immediately" to choose.

kind regards,
Markus

sebp
2008-09-01, 10:44
Hi Markus,

Since we have both 'play' and 'add' buttons, I don't really see the need for distinct "play immediately" and "append to playlist" options. Plus, it would not automatically start playing a mix when there's nothing on the air already.

What about something like this :

request_mip_mix(seed-track/album/genre)

if (seed-track/album/genre = playing)
number-of-tracks-to-request=n+1
call-mip-api
remove-first-track-from-response
else
number-of-tracks-to-request=n
call-mip-api

if (option="play mix")
if( pressed_buton = 'PLAY' )
else( pressed_button = '+' )
append mix to player-playlist
else (option="preview mix")
if( something_is_playing = false)
else
preview mix as normal-playlist (the same as it's now)

Seb

schiegl
2008-09-01, 11:57
Seb, just to get your idea: When do you want to use the play/add keys? On the previously created "Mix:"-playlist (press&hold the play key on the remote, "Create MusicIP Mix" on the controller or the M-Icon in the webinterface) or somewhere before?

It is my understanding we have two different issues
- playing a mix requires two actions (create mix + play/add mix)
- the seed-song should not be part of the mix if it's already playing

Am i wrong?

I think the second one should be easier to solve than the first one...

kind regards,
Markus

sebp
2008-09-01, 14:57
Well, it's a bit complicated, since there are several ways to create a MiP mix already :
- Click the "MM" icon in the web UI (applies to track/album/artist/genre)
- Press and hold the "Play" button (applies to track/album/artist/genre)
- Select "Create a MusicIP mix" option (only applies to track)

Basically, we would only need a "Preview mixes first" (short : "preview") option in the MusicIP plugin settings and have it defaulting to 'checked', so that we keep the actual behaviour. When unchecked, we would not review the mix before playing it or adding it to the current playlist.

First, I can't think of any reason why, when there's nothing playing actually, one would not want the created MiP mix to replace the current playlist and start playing immediately, whatever the "preview" option is set to. Hence, I don't think there's any need for a third state (a kind of 'smart' or 'auto' value) for the "preview" option. I may be wrong, so I'm waiting for anybody's feedback here.

Second, I'm pretty sure we all agree to this point : creating a MiP mix from the currently playing track should not lead to the currently playing track to be restarted when the mix is launched.

How it's working now

Web UI

1. Click "MM" icon on track/album/artist/genre = Create & preview MiP mix
2.1 Click "Play" on MiP mix playlist = replace current playlist with MiP mix & start playing
2.2 Click "Add" on MiP mix playlist = add MiP mix at the end of the current playlist

Play button

1. Press and hold "Play" button on track/album/artist/genre = Create & preview MiP mix
2.1 Press "Play" = replace current playlist with MiP mix & start playing
2.2 Press "Add" = add MiP mix at the end of the current playlist
2.3 Press & hold "Add" = insert MiP mix into the playlist after the currently playing song

Create a MusicIP Mix

1. Press controller's wheel button or SB/TP remote's "Right arrow" on the "Create a MusicIP Mix" option of a track = Create & preview MiP mix
2.1 Press "Play" button or controller's wheel button = replace current playlist with MiP mix & start playing
2.3 Press & hold "Add" = insert MiP mix into the playlist after the currently playing song

How it could be working

Web UI

NB : I'm assuming it's possible to handle a "long" click on icons, like with the remove button.

A. "preview" option is selected

1. Click "MM" icon on track/album/artist/genre = create and preview MiP mix
2.1 Click "Play" on MiP mix playlist = replace current playlist with MiP mix and start playing
2.2 Click "Add" on MiP mix playlist = add MiP mix at the end of the current playlist
2.3 Click and hold "Add" on MiP mix playlist = insert MiP mix after the currently playing song

B. "preview" option is not selected

1.1 Click "MM" icon on track/album/artist/genre = create MiP mix, replace current playlist with it and start playing
1.2 Click and hold "MM" icon on track/album/artist/genre = add MiP mix at the end of the current playlist

Play button

1. Press and hold "Play" button on track/album/artist/genre = create and preview MiP mix
2.1 Press "Play" = replace current playlist with MiP mix and start playing
2.3 Press & hold "Add" = insert MiP mix after the currently playing song

1.1 Press "Play" = create MiP mix, replace current playlist with it and start playing
1.2 Press "Add" = create and add MiP mix at the end of the current playlist
1.3 Press & hold "Add" = create and insert MiP mix after the currently playing song

Create a MusicIP Mix

1. Press controller's wheel button, SB/TP remote's "right arrow", or "Play" button on the "Create a MusicIP Mix" option of a track = create and preview MiP mix
2.1 Press "Play" button or controller's wheel button on "Play this mix" option = replace current playlist with MiP mix and start playing
2.3 Press and hold "Add" = insert MiP mix after the currently playing song

1.1 Press controller's wheel button, SB remote's "Right arrow", or "Play" button on the "Create a MusicIP Mix" option of a track = create a MiP mix, replace the current playlist with it and start playing
1.2 Press "Add" on the "Create a MusicIP Mix" option of a track = create and add MiP mix at the end of the current playlist
1.3 Press and hold "Add" on the "Create a MusicIP Mix" option of a track = create and insert MiP mix after the currently playing song

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to be as clear as possible on what I'm thinking about (yes, I'm a bit disturbed ;)).

schiegl
2008-09-01, 22:16
Hi Sebp,

thanks for clarifing and i think i got your idea. Nevertheless i have a question concerning the "How i could be working" section

WebUI: I didn't knew there's a "long click"-action on icons (drag'n'drop only). Where is this "like with the remove button" you mentioned?

Play button/B: If play/add keys are used for MIP-Mixing how should one play or add the track or album itself?

thanks!
Markus

P.S. Maybe it's just to early for me to follow you detailed post ;)

sebp
2008-09-01, 22:51
WebUI: I didn't knew there's a "long click"-action on icons (drag'n'drop only). Where is this "like with the remove button" you mentioned?
Forget about this, I must have been dreaming.

Play button/B: If play/add keys are used for MIP-Mixing how should one play or add the track or album itself?
Okay, wrong copy/paste.

Will have to edit my previous post to reflect changes ...

ModelCitizen
2008-09-17, 04:27
I've made an enhancement request for the seemingly simple change I'd like to have made to creation of a MusicIP mix

Simply it's this. When using the Controller... if you hit the play button whilst selecting "Make MusicIP mix" from a currently playing track it adds the mix as a playlist directly after the sing currently playing. This means that you don't need to do anything else for the mix to play and the seed song does not have to be restarted (as is the current behaviour).

If anyone else would like to suggest options for when you hit the Controllers "enter" button (the big button in the center of the scroll wheel) please feel free to add to the bug/enhancement.

This goes for player and web UI suggestions too.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9514

As always. Any votes welcome.

MC