PDA

View Full Version : Why so 'cheap'?

snoogly
2008-08-29, 16:30
How come it costs the same as the Classic?

What I mean to say is, why isn't the Classic much cheaper than the Boom?

mvalera
2008-08-29, 16:52
Whoops my mistake... I just adjusted it to the real price of $2999.99.

JK!

Mike

snoogly
2008-08-29, 17:07
You know what I mean ......

This seems to a Classic ++++++, so it seems odd that with all those extra parts, and the fact that the Classic R&D must have been recouped a thousand times over by now, the Classic isn't cheaper.

Apart from the fact that the Boom is so new, are there any good reasons why the price of the Classic hasn't been reduced (a lot!)?

aubuti
2008-08-29, 17:21
As others have pointed out, SB3s have been available on amazon.com for US$230 or so for a few weeks now. I expect you'll see similar price drops at other outlets. Also, while a lot has been added to the Boom, the VFD is only 1/2 the size of the SB3's, and that VFD is the single costliest component of an SB3.

snoogly
2008-08-29, 17:25
Gotcha, thanks.

mrfantasy
2008-08-29, 18:43
There are also no digital outs, or line level outs.

pfarrell
2008-08-29, 19:02
mrfantasy wrote:
> There are also no digital outs, or line level outs.

While there are no stereo RCA jacks, which save a few cents, the
headphone/sub output can easily work as a line level out as long as you
have anything close to a proper impedance in the driven device.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

djfake
2008-08-30, 05:52
How come it costs the same as the Classic?

What I mean to say is, why isn't the Classic much cheaper than the Boom?

I for one am waiting for the Squeezebox Classic to drop... officially, that is.

c

aubuti
2008-08-30, 08:24
I for one am waiting for the Squeezebox Classic to drop... officially, that is.
What is 'unofficial' about authorized resellers like Crutchfield ($280), J&R ($260), and Amazon ($230)? You get the full warranty, etc. If Logitech wants to get SBs on shelves of big name electronics stores, it's not going to undercut the price of their retail partners.

simbo
2008-08-30, 08:57
I think there's a few factors involved, and I don't think it's about saving money on RCA jacks and the like.

Firstly, they have to compete with the Internet Radio market - sure the Boom does a hell lot more than a Roberts jobby but your average punter doesn't always see the USPs. You can pick up a Wifi Internet Radio alarm clock for 60 from Argos! By aiming at this price range they're making it obvious that it's better but not too high to price themselves out of the market.

Secondly, they only need to recover the R&D costs of the amp/speaker design - not the SB3-like architecture, which by now I'd imagine is truly paid off. That's why they can afford to bring the SB3 price down at last.

I could be completely wrong, but as Mike's implied - better keep your delight hush-hush. ;-)

jo-wie
2008-08-30, 10:28
German Logitech Site shows following prices:

Boom 279 Euro
Classic 229 Euro

I see a difference of 50 Euro between Classic and Boom.

Bic Mac Index 3.57 $ to 3.37 Euro

Define cheap. :)

SushiDS
2008-08-31, 07:52
4 weeks ago I bought my SB3 at a local store in Germany (MM) for 199 Euros.
Maybe I should wait until they have the Boom...

jo-wie
2008-09-01, 07:02
4 weeks ago I bought my SB3 at a local store in Germany (MM) for 199 Euros.
Maybe I should wait until they have the Boom...

That was a one time offer. I saw it not before at MM, is it still sold there?

I did wait a long time until the price did drop. I will not do it again - I missed so many month the joy to hear music with the Squeezebox.

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-02, 10:13
The beta testers were wondering how much to charge for such a beastie.

The question was, how much would you pay for it?

My personal guess was $599. This is the cost of an SB Classic + AudioEngine A2. And we know that would be a deal because Boom sounds better.

At $299 I'm astounded. This is aggressive, aggressive pricing and is excellent value for the money. Unfortunately this is a price that will prey on SB Classic sales.

funkstar
2008-09-02, 12:29
Unfortunately this is a price that will prey on SB Classic sales.
Probably.

But the Classic does have a couple of significant selling points that the Boom doesn't have: Audio outputs, a larger screen and a smaller form factor.

Boom may take some sales away from the Classic, however the total sales will be significantly higher, so Logitech/SD still win. And considering how long the SB3 has been on the market, the fact it is still going and selling well (along with features still being added) is testament to how well it was designed in the first place. It really does deserve the Classic name now.

ianstuart
2008-09-09, 14:14
I just bought an SB3 for $230 from Amazon. I already have one Duet with two receivers and an SB3. I looked at the Boom and I would have bought it like a shot except that: I have had such bad experience with the Duet that I lack confidence that the Boom will be as stable and trouble free in connecting as the SB3; and the Boom has no audio outputs (whether optical or RCA)so I could not use it with any of my six amplifiers around the house or my A5s for outdoors.The lack of audio outputs seems strange since all the necessary circuitry must already be there.

kdf
2008-09-09, 14:20
>
> and the Boom has no audio
> outputs (whether optical or RCA)

other than the two rather noticeable analog outputs either side of the
display.

Boom is a much closer relative of the SB3 than the Controller
(non-receiver half of the Duet).

-kdf

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-10, 06:14
the Boom has no audio outputs

There's a headphone/sub out...? In headphone mode it works as a line out (unlike the SB3 where there's an amp and IR out circuitry).

Boom is much closer to an SB3 than the SBR. Check the forums, there are very few initial set-up problems.