PDA

View Full Version : squeezebox hostname via dhcp?

knathraak
2008-08-29, 07:26
I could have sworn this used to work, but now I can't get either of my squeezebox v3s to get their hostnames via dhcp. I have static dhcp assignments set up based on mac address.

One of the squeezeboxes just used its IP address for its hostname. The other used "PSMHOME" (where did this come from?). It really seems like this used to work.

Searching turns up complaints about the squeezeboxes not reporting their hostnames to the dhcp server, but not the other way around. Any tips?

Thanks

ASS-Ware
2008-08-31, 05:29
I could have sworn this used to work, but now I can't get either of my squeezebox v3s to get their hostnames via dhcp. I have static dhcp assignments set up based on mac address.

One of the squeezeboxes just used its IP address for its hostname. The other used "PSMHOME" (where did this come from?). It really seems like this used to work.

Searching turns up complaints about the squeezeboxes not reporting their hostnames to the dhcp server, but not the other way around. Any tips?

Thanks

DHCP doesn't give out hostnames, just IP configs.
Maybe you can set up a hostname in your DNS server ?

servies
2008-08-31, 05:34

Actually the DHCP server can update the DNS server with an hostname - ip combination.

ASS-Ware
2008-08-31, 06:02
Actually the DHCP server can update the DNS server with an hostname - ip combination.

Yes, but that is not the same as giving out a hostname.
If, for instance, we are talking about Windows Server 2003 DHCP and DNS, then DHCP can update DNS with the hostname of the device and the IP data, but the device needs to have a hostname then ;-)

knathraak
2008-08-31, 06:22

Actually, that's not true. I have a number of devices on my network that get their hostnames via dhcp. My squeezeboxes used to be among them. I've attached a wireshark capture of the dhcp offer that shows my dhcp server pushing out a number of options including hostname, domain name, dns, wins server, and others.

My dhcp updates my dns, but that's not really at issue. What is at issue is that I have to manually set the squeezeboxes' device names in their network setups in order for them to show up properly in squeezecenter. This used to not be the case. It used to be the case that the hostnames of my two squeezeboxes, squeeze and squeeze-ds would get set automatically and would show up in slimserver.

ASS-Ware
2008-08-31, 07:31
Actually, that's not true. I have a number of devices on my network that get their hostnames via dhcp. My squeezeboxes used to be among them. I've attached a wireshark capture of the dhcp offer that shows my dhcp server pushing out a number of options including hostname, domain name, dns, wins server, and others.

My dhcp updates my dns, but that's not really at issue. What is at issue is that I have to manually set the squeezeboxes' device names in their network setups in order for them to show up properly in squeezecenter. This used to not be the case. It used to be the case that the hostnames of my two squeezeboxes, squeeze and squeeze-ds would get set automatically and would show up in slimserver.

I guess I was wrong, I have looked a bit further and I think I know what you mean now.
In the options of a scope or reservation you can set the hostname.
This may be usefull for reservations only I think, as the same hostname for a whole scope doesn't sound workable to me ...

ASS-Ware
2008-08-31, 09:06
I have done some further testing and I have come to a conclusion.
Here is what I have :
Squeezebox 3
SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 11206 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt
DNS and DHCP run on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2

I have enabled the host option on the DHCP reservation for the MAC address of the squeezebox and have set the hostname to "Squeezebox".
I have enabled the property "Dynamically update DNS A and PTR records for DHCP clients that do not request updates (for example, clients running Windows NT 4.0)".
I have set the name of the squeezebox to MySlimDevice in SlimServer.

I have run through the configuration on the network settings again, the squeezebox asks for an IP address and the DHCP server registers the Squeezebox in DNS with the hostname myslimdevice.

So it is the name you give your squeezebox in the SlimServer software.
Well, at least in my case it is.

Hope this helps.

knathraak
2008-08-31, 11:19
I have set the name of the squeezebox to MySlimDevice in SlimServer.

Right, but that is the part I'm trying to avoid doing. It used to not be the case that I had to do this.

For reference, my static dhcp assignments look like the following:

###
#upstairs squeezebox
###
host squeeze {
fixed-address 10.0.1.14;
hardware ethernet 00:04:20:06:4e:3e;
}

ASS-Ware
2008-08-31, 11:39
Right, but that is the part I'm trying to avoid doing. It used to not be the case that I had to do this.

For reference, my static dhcp assignments look like the following:

###
#upstairs squeezebox
###
host squeeze {
fixed-address 10.0.1.14;
hardware ethernet 00:04:20:06:4e:3e;
}

Have you updated the firmware ?

knathraak
2008-08-31, 11:48
Have you updated the firmware ?

Yeah, there have been several firmware updates since this last worked for me. My guess is that this is hostname-via-dhcp something that went away in a firmware update.

radish
2008-08-31, 13:53
If it looks like something broke in the firmware then file a bug. If it was an intentional change someone will explain why, otherwise it'll probably get fixed at some point.

peter
2008-09-01, 00:54
ASS-Ware wrote:
> servies;334693 Wrote:
>
>> Actually the DHCP server can update the DNS server with an hostname - ip
>> combination.
>>
>
> Yes, but that is not the same as giving out a hostname.
> If, for instance, we are talking about Windows Server 2003 DHCP and
> DNS, then DHCP can update DNS with the hostname of the device and the
> IP data, but the device needs to have a hostname then ;-)
>

You're wrong. My router 'suggests' hostnames to the clients.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/bootp-dhcp-parameters (check tag number 12)

Many (most?) clients ignore this field and many (most?) DHCP servers
don't fill it in but it's there and it can be used along with a huge
list of other options.

Regards,
Peter