PDA

View Full Version : Color of the housing

kai
2008-08-29, 05:13
Does anybody know whether Boom will be available in non-black colors?

GoCubs
2008-08-29, 05:16

AFAIK only black right now.

-Greg

iPhone
2008-08-29, 08:56

The Beta testers asked this same question (and we had many suggestions). Dean replied that we could have any color we wanted (for now) as long as it was Black. I know this is a different product with different location placements, but the White SB3 didn't go over that well.

My suggestion was an Audiophile Boom in an aluminum case with brushed aluminum accents.

Michaelwagner
2008-08-29, 19:01
OTOH, lots of people want them for their kitchens, and kitchens are often white.

Mnyb
2008-08-29, 22:54
The SB3 is much smaller I got mine in black with silver front.

The BOOM is bigger and could be considered a part of the decor.

White gets "dirty" over the years not such a great color realy.

So a good compromise is to offer more colors but at a higher price.
Speaker companies are doing that. A couple of normal finishes for us with normal incomes. And a bunch of custom finishes for the rich and trendy, everybody gets what they want.
It's a very good strategy for getting 20% more for the same product.
Ive seen this behavior in many hifi stores, Your "allowed" to get your audiphile speakers but somebody else want a say about the chose of color and wood finish ;-)

w42
2008-08-29, 23:50
For me the black casing has dropped the WAF considerably :'-(
Aluminum case as suggested by iPhone would be great.

PS: I'll still get one though, just need to work on my argumentation :-)
"resistance is futile"

Mnyb
2008-08-30, 00:46
"resistance is futile"

ha ha to many trekk movies.
I friend to me said that to his then 4 year old when it was time to go to bed :)

Terje
2008-08-31, 02:11
This is really the first product which may be accepted by a much broader audience. I know my GF already want a white or light-pink one. I'm going to pick up a black one for myself as soon as it is in stock here in Norway, and would get a white or pink one as soon as it was available if such version was produced.

Do not let the failures of the white SB3 have any saying in this as it was a completly different product. The SBB is a complete product on it's own.

Already got a SBC and 3x SB3's here :o)

Michaelwagner
2008-08-31, 05:19
Do not let the failures of the white SB3 have any saying in this as it was a completly different product.
This is true. Kitchens are a prime target, and many kitchens are white. Of course, by that logic, they should also make a stainless steel case, so it matches the fridge.

Terje
2008-09-01, 09:09
This is true. Kitchens are a prime target, and many kitchens are white. Of course, by that logic, they should also make a stainless steel case, so it matches the fridge.

Yes, the Boom should be offered in a variety of colors. I've not got mine yet as I'm in Norway, but I would say the SBB is ready for the mass market. There are still issues with SC being a bit complicated still, but that is slowly getting better and maybe at some point a "original" server unit will come along as well. Until then we have SN for those users who don't want a computer on all the time.

mvalera
2008-09-03, 12:54
Go out and buy a lot of black ones... then we may be able to make a case for other colors.

Michaelwagner
2008-09-03, 13:50
Go out and buy a lot of black ones... then we may be able to make a case for other colors.

Nice pun, there, Michael!

eLR!C
2008-09-03, 13:54
As Henry Ford would have said "Any customer can have a SqueezeBoxBoom painted any color that he wants so long as it is black." :)

Black Pearl
2008-09-04, 08:59
As Henry Ford would have said "Any customer can have a SqueezeBoxBoom painted any color that he wants so long as it is black." :)

Acording to the BBC show QI he never actually said that and for quite a while there was no black option at all.

I think colour options would be the logical way to go. I currently have a Tivoli Model One in Hunter Maple/Green bought to match our kitchen. Tivoli offers the Model One in six colour combinations with no cost difference. My SB is black and has been accepted in the house because the Hi-Fi is black and ‘The Wife’ has given up moaning about it. As the Boom is more of a ‘Lifestyle’ product I’m very surprised to see no colour options and feel this is going to seriously limit its appeal. Want one though.

Terje
2008-09-04, 09:43

Funny ;) Anyway, I have already two black ones on order and are ready to order the first white or even a pink one for my GF. I strongly believe that Logitech/SlimDevices should do some fast decisions about this and let the market know. A white one is a safe bet and should not be delayed very long. As for other colors I guess some market research would be needed?

So, can I get my GF one for X-mas?

dean
2008-09-04, 10:06
On Sep 4, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Black Pearl wrote:
> eLR!C;336337 Wrote:
>> As Henry Ford would have said "Any customer can have a SqueezeBoxBoom
>> painted any color that he wants so long as it is black." :)
>
> Acording to the BBC show QI he never actually said that and for
> quite a
> while there was no black option at all.
But "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so
long as it is black." was in his book:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Henry_Ford

That said, I think colors are a great idea.

-dean

w42
2008-09-04, 10:08
My SB is black and has been accepted in the house because the Hi-Fi is black and ‘The Wife’ has given up moaning about it.
My SB3 have the silver colored front (no longer available? must have missed something), which were and are accepted.

The Boom recevied a 'black only?' frown and after closer inspection of the pictures (my mistake to show them in the first place :-() a -1 for design...
I won't repeat the comment.

Now that sort of rules out bedroom, kitchen etc.
Leaves the workroom, probably the last place I have a vote actually ;-)

EDIT: almost forgot..
Most of the 'moaning' in here seems to be about power consumption, display brightness, color of the housing etc.
But not the audio quality. I'd say job well done for a device that is of course foremost designed to play audio (and do that well).

"resistance is futile"

mvalera
2008-09-04, 10:14

I was half being serious. Colors are tricky... some sell and some don't.

You may make 20,000 whites and then find that the retailers don't like white this year.

One thing is for sure is that we have to prove the Boom will sell, and sell really well, in retail before we could talk different colors with the powers that be.

w42
2008-09-04, 10:16
One thing is for sure is that we have to prove the Boom will sell, and sell really well, in retail before we could talk different colors with the powers that be.

Point taken and understood.

Terje
2008-09-04, 10:34

Yes, colors are tricky, but one safe bet will always be white for such a product. That way it will be accepted into the bedrooms and kitchens where us men usually don't have any saying ;o)

You may make 20,000 whites and then find that the retailers don't like white this year.

I have no idea in what amount the current SBB's are being shipped now, but I seems like a lot of people are waiting for them already?

The good old "chicken and egg". A non-black color will very likely widen the audience for the SBB a quite a lot. Get those market researcher's started :o)

gharris999
2008-09-04, 10:35
How well did the white SB3s sell? I know I bought at least two of them. I just woke up to the fact that the SB Classic is now "none so black" only.

mvalera
2008-09-04, 11:13
I can't tell you exactly what the differences were, but it's safe to say that the black significantly outsold the whites by a large margin in 2007. The whites were on promo for a good part of that too.

iPhone
2008-09-04, 11:19

Michael, that is a very good point but doesn't that same point make the converse true to some point? "We could sell even more of these if there were a choice of color!"

I think the point everybody is trying to make is that the Boom really breaks the Slim standard mold of being only a "component" attached to an audio system. Basic colors for that are silver and black so the better half can't get too bent out of shape. Also the Receiver is fairly easy to hide for again it needs an audio output device.

Boom breaks the mold or pattern so to speak. It "IS" an audio device. Other people have used the buzz word "Lifestyle Product" which it might be, but one thing is for sure, it will be out in the open and will need to have approval of people's better halves which we all know includes color choices (read Not just Black). As I said in the Beta color thread, wonder how many white Bose Wave units Bose sold?

The primary decor colors are probably going to be the most popular such as White or Ivory, Black, Chrome, SS, or Aluminum, Blue, and Red.

Lastly, when have the Retailers driven the Slim Market? Sean created his own market and Best Buy is just now getting on the band wagon. If it is really an issue with retailers, sell color choice Booms on the Slim Devices Website. IE take pre-orders for Booms of color X with a $25 deposit that can be applied to a Black Boom or other color if you choice is not produced. That would tell you what colors you have a market for without a refund issue as the buyer is committing to at least the purchase of a regular Boom. A color option other then Black could even require a color option upcharge due to smaller runs. Or even just have a more expensive limited edition Boom in say Silver. All the R&D is done, how expensive is it to make a new injection mold for just a color change? Of course this might not be the way to go, but one can't say it doesn't get the imagination running.

Michaelwagner
2008-09-04, 11:34
It's not even a different mould. Just clean the existing mould out and buy some new colour injectable plastic. Shorter run sizes will certainly effect the price, but it shouldn't be a big deal. I would go for the scheme mentioned above, where we put a deposit down, for a white one. If there aren't enough takers, I'd apply the money to a black one after a waiting period.

But I'm sure there'll be takers for the white ones.

mvalera
2008-09-04, 11:40
Actually more colors are harder to place in brick and mortar stores, not easier.

Getting shelf space for any one product is hard, two colors and therefore two shelf spots is twice as hard. Also you are measured on your performance, with stores like BB actually rating/measuring the performance of every product they have on every shelf. If it falls below a certain measure it's gone and likely never to return, and the BB category buyer who placed it to begin with now hates you. ;)

mvalera
2008-09-04, 11:45
I think it's safe to say we would love to be in a position where we were making limited color runs of the boom, or thousands of whites and blacks... but that would mean that the blacks were selling really well.

Again... we would love it.

Mike

iPhone
2008-09-04, 11:53
Actually more colors are harder to place in brick and mortar stores, not easier.
Very good point about marketing and shelf space. So again go to my suggestion of online only for anything other then Black!

Getting shelf space for any one product is hard, two colors and therefore two shelf spots is twice as hard. Also you are measured on your performance, with stores like BB actually rating/measuring the performance of every product they have on every shelf. If it falls below a certain measure it's gone and likely never to return, and the buyer who placed it to begin with now hates you. ;)
All of this is true, but Slim Devices new parent company has been on the shelves at Best Buy and playing that game for how many years? IMHO, the current placement in Best Buy is not going to allow the Boom to measure up. Is it OK for the current low numbers of available Booms, probably just due to the fact that somebody is specifically looking for the "One Boom" that Best Buy has in stock. When the production/distribution gets caught up to demand and there is more then one Boom per big Box store, the current shelf placement is not going to cut it for continued sales.

Michaelwagner
2008-09-04, 11:55
I suspect, speaking for many of the people here, bricks and mortar stores are interesting, somewhat anachronistic retail outlets. I bought my first SB1 from a place in Peterborough I'd never heard of nor dealt with before. The other units I bought directly from Slim.

The fact that bricks and mortar stores measure sales in $/linear foot is an amusing anachronism. We see right here that it's outdated and outmoded - people here would put money down directly with the manufacturer (you) in order to get a colour choice not available in a store with outmoded rules that serve them and not us.

It may be that the Boom is different, because it's an end-user product, for the end user who can't (or doesn't want to in a specific case) match and hook up an amplifier and speakers to an SB. But the geeks here discussing it and offering to buy it in at least white and perhaps other colours too are not those end-users.

pfarrell
2008-09-04, 12:01
mvalera wrote:
> Actually more colors are harder to place in brick and mortar stores, not
> easier.

In all grocery stores, and some other brick and mortar stores, the
vendor pays for shelf space, and more for better shelves.

> Also you are measured on
> your performance, with stores like BB actually rating/measuring the
> performance of every product they have on every shelf.

Measured by sales per square foot of shelf. Its brutal, and most
consumers don't see any of it.

Look at Kitchenaid mixers, the expensive ones. They come in many colors,
because they go in kitchens and color is important. A lot of stores only
carry white, and have to special order the weird colors. In practice, a
mass market store doesn't really want to special order them, so if you
want the wine red, you buy it over the 'net.

On the DIY level, are there disassembly instructions out there anywhere?
Masking the front panel buttons would be a pain, and you'd have to
remove the speaker grills, but the rest of it probably is fairly easy to
paint. Again, if the color matters, its got to be a color coat, clear
coat job, not just a $10 can of Krylon.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Mark Miksis
2008-09-04, 12:07
On the DIY level, are there disassembly instructions out there anywhere?
Masking the front panel buttons would be a pain, and you'd have to
remove the speaker grills, but the rest of it probably is fairly easy to
paint. Again, if the color matters, its got to be a color coat, clear
coat job, not just a $10 can of Krylon.

All the screws seem to be accessible if you pull off the speaker grills. Caleb's white paper has an exploded diagram.

ccrome2
2008-09-04, 12:22
You saw Felix's white one, right? You could see the black speakers through
the grills. If you want to make the speakers invisible, buy some very
lightweight fabric the same color as your paint. Then carefully glue
(contact cement?) the fabric on the inside of the grills. Be sure to apply
glue sparingly. I've never tried it, but it should look great, and not
affect the sound too much.

A word of warning though -- if you want to disassemble the front panel PCB,
be sure to get a phillips that exactly fits those screw heads. They are
tough to deal with without stripping the heads.

Also, you'll loose the front panel back lighting to some extent if you paint
the buttons.

Of course, you know what happens to the warranty when you disassemble and
paint your units :-)

Michaelwagner
2008-09-04, 15:40
You saw Felix's white one, right?
I assumed that was photoshopped. Did he really do it?

ccrome2
2008-09-04, 15:56
On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Michaelwagner <
Michaelwagner.3f8iwz1220568303 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> ccrome2;336669 Wrote:
> > You saw Felix's white one, right?
> I assumed that was photoshopped. Did he really do it?
>
No, I that was real paint.

morris_minor
2008-09-05, 03:49
How about some interchangeable coloured panels? I bought an LCD picture frame recently, and this came with two clip on surrounds, one black one silver.

iPhone
2008-09-05, 04:26
How about some interchangeable coloured panels? I bought an LCD picture frame recently, and this came with two clip on surrounds, one black one silver.

If there ever are other colors, you know what is going to happen. Somebody is going to buy a black one and a white one and swap only the backs on them so they have Zebra Boom!

pippin
2008-09-05, 05:38
On Sep 4, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Black Pearl wrote:
> eLR!C;336337 Wrote:
>> As Henry Ford would have said "Any customer can have a SqueezeBoxBoom
>> painted any color that he wants so long as it is black." :)
>
> Acording to the BBC show QI he never actually said that and for
> quite a
> while there was no black option at all.
But "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so
long as it is black." was in his book:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Henry_Ford

That said, I think colors are a great idea.

-dean

Especially for cars :)

That way it will be accepted into the bedrooms and kitchens where us men usually don't have any saying ;o)

Hey, I've got all the saying in my kitchen if I want to, but I STILL want a white one.
On other colors: I might by a red or a stainless-steel one intead of the white one if available.

Regarding Felix' Boom:
Does anybody (Caleb?, Felix?) know HOW he painted it (airbrush? spray paint?) Right now I'm REALLY tempted to paint mine in red... (will post picture ONLY if I succeed, though...)

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-05, 06:53
I was going to bring up the case that the former Slim Devices sold SB1s in lots of cool metallic colours well before the white SB3:

http://web.archive.org/web/20041118032447/http://www.slimdevices.com/ (November 18, 2004)

but this is a showstopper for that strategy:

Getting shelf space for any one product is hard, two colors and therefore two shelf spots is twice as hard.

Slim Devices could do this because they only sold direct. I'd think it would complicate matters a bit as there were different product SKUs and more warehouse space required, but it's not nearly as complicated as retail.

Incidentally, does anyone currently on the forum have one of those metallic SB1s? They'd sure be collector's items, and they look great in those photos. I've heard of people with SB1s and SB1Gs but NO ONE with a metallic one.

Khuli
2008-09-05, 08:14

Hmm.. if black sells a lot, TPTB will say "Black is selling so well, there's obviously no need for other colours".

maggior
2008-09-05, 09:01
I was going to bring up the case that the former Slim Devices sold SB1s in lots of cool metallic colours well before the white SB3:

http://web.archive.org/web/20041118032447/http://www.slimdevices.com/ (November 18, 2004)

but this is a showstopper for that strategy:

That is really cool! I can't believe there was a Tangerine Dream SqueezeBox!!

I became aware of Slim Devices when the SB3 had just come out. So it was very wierd to see a SD web home page with the SB2 on it! And a download link for 5.4.

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-05, 10:09
I became aware of Slim Devices when the SB3 had just come out. So it was very wierd to see a SD web home page with the SB2 on it! And a download link for 5.4.

That's an SB1 (more accurately, an SB1G because it has a graphic display).

There are other archived Slim Devices pages:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.slimdevices.com

You can go back to the very beginning at:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010719113752/http://www.slimdevices.com/

and somewhere on those early pages were photos of Sean hand-assembling SliMP3s.

They've come a long way!

Terje
2008-09-09, 10:32
So, there is the two black ones I'm going to buy in my house. Boom is great, great job by the design team. Now, where can I preorder the white one ;o)

rkb0378
2008-11-12, 16:53
Yesterday, my wife & I saw the Boom at Best Buy. Much smaller footprint then I expected.

Today I mention -Wouldn't it be cool if I could stream music to the Kitchen. She says "Does the Boom come in white?" :(

Add me as another potential purchaser of White for the Kitchen.

dwilliams01
2008-11-14, 11:16
There are two colors available now, apparently.
Black and "Signature" - the Pandora Signature series. Just recieved an e-mail add for the special version.

Before anyone gets too excited the "signature" is black with silver ink autographs on it... Looks like a nice collector's item.

Maybe if enough people got to sign it the color would be "stainless steel"... :)

Paul Shields
2008-11-14, 12:16
Sign me up for a white (actually, ideally cream) Boom for the kitchen. I've got it right now playing in the kitchen and although it sounds as good as ever, cream would be the erm, cream on the cake.

Terje
2009-01-01, 10:49
So, anything new about color options for the Boom? Still waiting to get a white one.

Dogberry2
2009-01-02, 08:50
You know, this color prejudice is really sad.

I have a dream, that one day, all the little black Booms will be permitted into the kitchen, and will be judged and accepted based on the quality of their music, and not on the color of their casings.

I have a dream, that one day, men will rediscover their spines, and realize that they can buy black Booms for their own kitchens, without having to plead with or apologize to any woman. And that women will realize that they, too, can buy black Booms, without having to feel guilt or shame for not conforming to the transient vagaries of home decorating hype they saw in a magazine, or on HGTV.

I have a dream, that one day, ALL people, of ALL colors and races and genders, will come to the realization that music is meant for the ears, and not the eyes; that music knows no color, but is open to everyone who will listen.

Well, it's a modest dream. But it's mine. And meantime, I'll just enjoy the music.

iPhone
2009-01-02, 09:37
So, anything new about color options for the Boom? Still waiting to get a white one.

The color issue spans many areas. Not speaking for logitech, but one of the biggest right now is just plain economics. Having one color choice makes everything cheaper. Only one mold required, only one SKU, store shelf space for only one item (trust me, Big Box shelf space isn't cheap or easy to come by), and lastly a quick answer to the question of what colors it comes in! And an even easier decsion on what color to chose.

The only real suggestion I have for Logitech would be to think about a limited edition model in a color other then Black or do multiple colors but only sell them via the web (the SB2 had several color options). Selling different colors of Booms via web only eliminates the Big Box shelf space issue.

As for the kitchen and other areas, I personally am against white or cream. To hard to keep clean or keep the color from yellowing. Aluminum is fairly close to stainless and a bunch cheaper and easier to work with.

Terje
2009-01-02, 10:38
I have a dream, that one day, men will rediscover their spines, and realize that they can buy black Booms for their own kitchens, without having to plead with or apologize to any woman. And that women will realize that they, too, can buy black Booms, without having to feel guilt or shame for not conforming to the transient vagaries of home decorating hype they saw in a magazine, or on HGTV.

I did get two original Booms from the very first batch sent out by Logitech here in Europe. If my GF wants a white one I will get her a white one whenever that is possible. For now she is very happy with the black ones and we both enjoy this very good product.

Michaelwagner
2009-01-02, 11:40
I have a dream, that one day, men will rediscover their spines, and realize that they can buy black Booms for their own kitchens, without having to plead with or apologize to any woman.
And how long have you been married? :-)

ThaidUp
2009-01-03, 02:51
It's not my style to go and register on forums for a single post like this, but in this case I've had to make an exception just because I REALLY WANT A BOOM, but it just can't happen until you guys do something about the color..

I mean really, what *were* you guys thinking? Black? For an audio piece? Have you just "transported" me back to the 80's or something?

In all fairness, I've been into hi-fi long enough to remember black components, but that was a looong time ago. My wife however has *never* seen a black hi-fi component as she's only been into hi-fi this century.

Her first reaction as I started explaining how cool the Boom is was "is it Chinese or something?", to which I said "huh?", and she replied "well, it looks cheap and nasty", to which I said "why?", and she replied "because it's made of cheap black plastic", to which I could only agree :(

ThaidUp
2009-01-03, 02:56
I have a dream, that one day, men will rediscover their spines, and realize that they can buy black Booms for their own kitchens, without having to plead with or apologize to any woman.

It's not about chauvanism, or men, or women, or dreams, or spines, or the brand of beer you drink, nor cigarettes you smoke. Black is OK for nigthclubs, discos, bars, stages etc where components ought to hide in the black of night, but has no place in a house.

Phil Leigh
2009-01-03, 03:03
It's not about chauvanism, or men, or women, or dreams, or spines, or the brand of beer you drink, nor cigarettes you smoke. Black is OK for nigthclubs, discos, bars, stages etc where components ought to hide in the black of night, but has no place in a house.

do you have a TV? what colour is its screen when it is off...

ThaidUp
2009-01-03, 03:10
do you have a TV? what colour is its screen when it is off...

Depends which one you're talking about.. In the living room it'd be white if we didn't close the curtains over the PJ screen, in the bedroom "invisible" as it retracts into a cabinet at the foot of the bed.. [snide comment removed]

Nice attempt, but pretty thin argument there I'm afraid :)

Phil Leigh
2009-01-03, 03:23
Depends which one you're talking about.. In the living room it'd be white if we didn't close the curtains over the PJ screen, in the bedroom "invisible" as it retracts into a cabinet at the foot of the bed.. [snide comment removed]

Nice attempt, but pretty thin argument there I'm afraid :)

I could have predicted that answer...

You'd love my lounge:
Black hi-fi (incl Black SB3)
Black TV
Black fire
Black curtain rods
Black picture/mirror frames
Black computer
Black leather furniture
Black aquarium
Black cat (well...he has some white bits :o) )

everything else is white paint or maple/beech wood

I hate pastels and primary colours!

Michaelwagner
2009-01-03, 05:19
My gf prefers to wear black, and mostly buys me black clothing. Our bedroom furniture is all black, so a black BOOM goes well there.

That being said, why not have skins? Make the basic unit some nice neutral colour (white seems good) and sell plastic overshoes that turn it into any colour you want.

Her first reaction as I started explaining how cool the Boom is was "is it Chinese or something?", to which I said "huh?", and she replied "well, it looks cheap and nasty", to which I said "why?", and she replied "because it's made of cheap black plastic", to which I could only agree :(

Well, it is Chinese, actually. They're made in China. Which, in the current political and economic environment, seems like a pretty short-sighted thing to do.

toby10
2009-01-03, 06:21
It's not my style to go and register on forums for a single post like this, but in this case I've had to make an exception just because I REALLY WANT A BOOM, but it just can't happen until you guys do something about the color..

I mean really, what *were* you guys thinking? Black? For an audio piece? Have you just "transported" me back to the 80's or something?

In all fairness, I've been into hi-fi long enough to remember black components, but that was a looong time ago. My wife however has *never* seen a black hi-fi component as she's only been into hi-fi this century.

I suppose that's the quandary of any retail manufacturer. What color is most appealing to most people? For me, and I'd guess most others, black is preferred. I could see a preference to white in many settings like a kitchen, but not all. I suspect black would be preferred for most bedroom settings, based solely on the fact that I've hardly ever seen a white alarm clock in use.

Then, if multiple colors are offered, where do you stop? If the Boom was available in white and black I'd bet there would still be forum posts for other colors, like.....
- Why just white and black?
- Why such a bright white?
- Why not in brushed aluminum to match my stainless back splash?

And when "70's retro" is back in style people will be posting for avocado green and burnt fuschia. They simply can't please everyone.

Also, IMO, the Boom is a bit on the pricey side as it is. WELL worth it, but to the casual consumer it's price will seem at odds with other (albeit, far inferior) media players on the store shelf. Adding just one additional color would increase overhead and presumably bump it's retail price point even higher. On the other hand, offering white may add a 25% or more increase in sales, who knows. Retail is not my biz. :)

Offered only in white, you would own one, but I wouldn't.
Offered only in black, I bought one, but you won't.
*shrug* Again, they just can't please everyone. :)

Michaelwagner
2009-01-03, 06:36
Hence the suggestion (not mine originally, as I recall someone else suggested it first) for skins.

toby10
2009-01-03, 06:39
Hence the suggestion (not mine originally, as I recall someone else suggested it first) for skins.

Yeah, I suppose. Maybe a Hanna Montana skin too? :)

Michaelwagner
2009-01-03, 07:31
Maybe a Hanna Montana skin too? :)
That demographic has more disposable income than most of us do. And more technical smarts than most of us too :-)

Dogberry2
2009-01-03, 09:15
And how long have you been married? :-)Only 30 years. But the trick is to pick the right woman. One with enough of a functioning brain in her head to understand what's important, and distinguish it from what isn't. Like, for example: music is important. Color of the case it's coming from, eh, not so much. I found a woman like that. http://forums.slimdevices.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

A woman who said "It looks cheap" just because it's black, and then refused even to listen to it, or me . . . well, I wouldn't have one of those around. Music belongs in my house. Ditzy, shallow minds and tiny, wizened souls, eh, not so much. http://forums.slimdevices.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Michaelwagner
2009-01-03, 09:27
One of your assumptions, either
aesthetics != fashion or
aesthetics == ditzy
is seriously flawed.

If you have a room or a section of the room that is all white (like our kitchen), a black boom stands out like a sore thumb. When you want it to blend in, it doesn't.

Now I happen to think that the colour is less important than the sound, but there's no good reason you can't have both in a mass market item. My GF likes the boom, we have it in the house, but we'd have more of them if we could fit them to the decor more.

And, even if your personal aesthetic is that colour doesn't matter, that isn't everyone's, and, like it or not, colour sells.

Dogberry2
2009-01-03, 09:30
Hey, I said it wasn't much of a dream.

But it's mine.

ccrome2
2009-01-03, 09:55
its really quite simple, and iPhone (forum member) hit it right. Shelf
space is extremely limited, and black out sells white by a large margin.

I can assure you, when you hold the boom it is anything but cheap, as has
been commented on many times in the forums.

Give one a try. If you don't love it, most stores have a return policy. I
doubt we would see you back, except to buy another :-)

On Jan 3, 2009 8:35 AM, "Dogberry2" <
Dogberry2.3lg4gb1231000502 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

Hey, I said it wasn't much of a dream.

But it's mine.

--
Dogberry2
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dogberry2's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=18883

View this thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=51669____________________________ ...

Michaelwagner
2009-01-03, 09:59
What was that song? To dream the impossible dream?

(not one of my favorite songs, but it seemed appropriate under the circumstances)

Dogberry2
2009-01-03, 10:33
its really quite simple, and iPhone (forum member) hit it right. Shelf space is extremely limited, and black out sells white by a large margin.

I can assure you, when you hold the boom it is anything but cheap, as has been commented on many times in the forums.

Give one a try. If you don't love it, most stores have a return policy. I doubt we would see you back, except to buy another :-)I think you mighta hit Reply on the wrong post; I haven't complained about the black Booms at all.

What was that song? To dream the impossible dream?

(not one of my favorite songs, but it seemed appropriate under the circumstances)
Hey, there are millions of people who like Robert Goulet. Which simply underscores my point that millions of people have not the slightest clue about aesthetic value. If they did, they wouldn't sit watching HGTV in order to find out what trendy color they should paint their foyers. So a lot of people confuse "transient trendy fashion" with aesthetics. It has always been that way. But it makes no difference to me; I don't work for Slim, and I'm not trying to sell Booms. I don't care if they come out with a special aquamarine-blue one with an orange racing stripe along the top and a NASCAR decal on the side. But I do understand just a little bit about marginal manufacturing costs vs. ROI, and as Caleb's comment indicates, Slim also understands.

ghostrider
2009-01-03, 11:42
A woman who said "It looks cheap" just because it's black, and then refused even to listen to it, or me . . . well, I wouldn't have one of those around. Music belongs in my house. Ditzy, shallow minds and tiny, wizened souls, eh, not so much. http://forums.slimdevices.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

I'm with you Dog..life is too short. Makes you wonder what else she complains about.

keithbernstein@mail.com
2009-03-26, 18:35
I have a black squeezebox duet in my living room which I love.

I would love to put one in my bathroom (currently I have an iPod velcroed to the wall), but black won't work.

It would be great if the duet remote either came in white or silver (aluminum) or if Logitech offered replacement faceplates to put over the remote. It would garner them at least one additional sale... ME! :-)

nacmacfeegle
2009-03-27, 06:10
Folks its very easy..
If you want the Boom to match your kitchen, get a black kitchen.
;-)