PDA

View Full Version : Alarm functionality

mkozlows
2008-08-28, 20:37
Okay, so I don't really need this thing (I just bought a Duet to sit on the nightstand not that long ago), but I'm curious anwyay, so a few questions.

1. Is that sleep button on top of the clock a clicking button or a touch-sensitive one? It's hard to tell from the pictures.

2. Do you support variable snoozing? On my little Sony alarm clock, I can hit the snooze button repeatedly, and each hit will add 10 minutes to my sleep time. So I can set the alarm for early, then decide that I don't feel like getting up just yet, and tap it six times to sleep another hour.

3. It sounds from the user's guide like it'd support dual alarms (my wife gets up well before I do). Correct?

4. Is there a display mode that shows the time and currently set alarms, so that I can glance at it and make sure it'll wake everyone up at the right time?

5. Is it easy to change the alarm time if I have to get up earlier tomorrow than usual, or is it the sort of thing that requires elaborate menu navigation?

6. Okay, this isn't about the alarm, but is there any chance that headphone out can act as a digital out?

MrC
2008-08-28, 21:07
Oh, you DO need this ! :-)

1) It is a soft touch, rubber padded multi-switch. There are something like 10-14 individual pressure switches acting in concert to allow touching the pad anywhere along its length/width. Its very nice.

2) No, the snooze is a single time, preset via snooze time preference.

3) As many alarms as you'd like.

4) Pressing the snooze button allows you to see the next alarm time. I'm not aware of a way to see both time and all alarms. In the Alarm sub-menus, you can scan through the alarm times, and it is very easy to see in the web interface.

5) Yes, my wife does it nightly. Just a couple of clicks, and far easier then fumbling around traditional clock radios trying to find the correct switch position, etc. So its Settings->Alarm, down one item to the alarm list, select the alarm time you want to modify, and then navigate into that alarm. There you can change all that alarm's options. (this is from memory, I think its correct).

We're really pleased with the Boom's alarm functionality, and it sounds great. Perhaps there will be additional alarm improvements in future releases; some had to be cut from the initial release.

MrC
2008-08-28, 21:24
Here's a couple pictures of the web interface of the alarms. Perhaps this will be useful.

claws
2008-09-02, 04:00
I have a squeezebox in the bedroom and I like the new alarm functionality.... better alarms, big sleep display, etc.
The Boom looks great and I'd get one too, but they're not available in Australia yet.

I'd like to check out the various alarm sounds available (some can be seen in the picture in the post above). Is there an easy way to do this that does not involve allocating the sound to the alarm and then triggering the alarm?

Where do the built in musical sounds come from? Are they built in to the SqueezeCenter or come in via the network? I downloaded the tar.gz but didn't see anything promising.

Thanks,
Chris

max.spicer
2008-09-02, 04:44
I'd like to check out the various alarm sounds available (some can be seen in the picture in the post above). Is there an easy way to do this that does not involve allocating the sound to the alarm and then triggering the alarm?

Where do the built in musical sounds come from? Are they built in to the SqueezeCenter or come in via the network? I downloaded the tar.gz but didn't see anything promising.

There are, at present, no special alarm sounds. You can use music from your library, any saved favourite (including internet radio), any saved playlist or any any of the sound effects or natural sounds from squeeze network. You can therefore preview the natural sounds or sound effects that you could use for an alarm sound by listening to them on any squeezebox or softsqueeze.

Max

ModelCitizen
2008-09-02, 05:40
Here's a couple pictures of the web interface of the alarms. Perhaps this will be useful.
I don't use the web interface too much and would go so far to say that it's probably simpler and quicker and even more intuitive to set them up (and edit them) from the player display, using either the knob or the remote.

And MrC is right. You do need this!

McBoom??

PS. I hope the Boom has been entered for some design awards or something. It's easily my product of the year (if not of my entire life so far).

MC