PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeNetwork vs. Center

RScroc
2008-08-28, 19:02
OK, I am a Duet novice and I really don't get what the difference is between SqueezeNetwork and SqueezeCenter. I mainly listen to Pandora (which it sounds like I may soon need an alternative). When I start my computer, SqueezeCenter automatically runs, but I have the best luck actually going to the SqueezeNetwork site. What am I doing wrong if I am not connecting when my computer is off?

Also I am losing sound (the signal) periodically. I moved my wireless router to the top of my computer armoire and the receiver is only in the next room (maybe 30 ft. away). I am using the Windows firewall and Computer Associates Anti-Virus. Any tips?

mherger
2008-08-29, 00:53
> OK, I am a Duet novice and I really don't get what the difference is
> between SqueezeNetwork and SqueezeCenter.

SC is run on your computer. You need it to listen to your local music files (mp3, flac, whatever). If you don't have any and are happy with SN only, then you might as well uninstall it.

> I mainly listen to Pandora

Sounds like you wouldn't need SC for this.

> the next room (maybe 30 ft. away). I am using the Windows firewall and
> Computer Associates Anti-Virus. Any tips?

As long as you're using SN only these shouldn't matter.

--

Michael

raaurora
2008-08-30, 07:02
SC is run on your computer. You need it to listen to your local music files (mp3, flac, whatever). If you don't have any and are happy with SN only, then you might as well uninstall it.

Michael

I primarily use my duet to stream Rhapsody channels and only occasionally play mp3's from my library. The only thing I would say is the web interface is a lot easier for typing in searches if you want to locate specific artists or tracks in the Rhapsody library. So, I typically use SC as a matter of course even though I could get by with just the controller & SN.