PDA

View Full Version : Boom as a bridge?

Steve Agnew
2008-08-28, 16:14
Can the Boom act as a bridge between a wired network and a wireless controller in the same was as the Receiver?

ccrome2
2008-08-28, 16:16
On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 1:14 AM, Steve Agnew <
Steve.Agnew.3evlmz1219965302 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> Can the Boom act as a bridge between a wired network and a wireless
> controller in the same was as the Receiver?
>

Yes.

adamslim
2009-11-29, 14:18
On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 1:14 AM, Steve Agnew <
Steve.Agnew.3evlmz1219965302 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> Can the Boom act as a bridge between a wired network and a wireless
> controller in the same was as the Receiver?
>

Yes.

Can it? Yes

Will it when you want it to? No

Will you find any documentation on it? No

Will there be some old documentation that doesn't help? Yes

Will you waste several hours of your life, time that you never get back, on this? Yes

Sometimes, these Squeezeboxes really irritate the hell out of me.

usch
2009-11-29, 16:36
I am using the Boom in my kitchen to get the SB1 in the bedroom into the WPA2 network, which saved me 15 meters of CAT5 cable and several holes through brick walls.

It works out of the box without requiring any additional configuration. The only thing to remember is that you can only turn bridge mode on or off during the initial network setup. If your Boom is already up and running, you have to go back all the way to the menu that lets you switch between wireless or wired connection.

peterw
2009-11-29, 18:00
I am using the Boom in my kitchen to get the SB1 in the bedroom into the WPA2 network, which saved me 15 meters of CAT5 cable and several holes through brick walls.

It works out of the box without requiring any additional configuration. The only thing to remember is that you can only turn bridge mode on or off during the initial network setup. If your Boom is already up and running, you have to go back all the way to the menu that lets you switch between wireless or wired connection.

Re-read the original post. Boom is supposed to let you connect another wired device to a wireless network, and it does so easily. But the original poster was asking about using a "wired" Boom as an AP or ad-hoc wifi peer to provide wifi access to a Controller. I thought only Receiver could do that.

usch
2009-11-29, 18:19
But the original poster was asking about using a "wired" Boom as an AP or ad-hoc wifi peer to provide wifi access to a Controller.

Indeed. Now that you say it... I guess I was confused by the thread title.

Does that mean the Controller can control any Squeezebox device wirelessly (except the SliMP3 of course), even when the entire network is wired and has no dedicated wireless access point?

peterw
2009-11-29, 21:35
Indeed. Now that you say it...

And I've got a Controller but never tried. :-) By the way, I'm sorry if that last post came across a bit brusque.

andynormancx
2009-11-30, 00:45
Does that mean the Controller can control any Squeezebox device wirelessly (except the SliMP3 of course), even when the entire network is wired and has no dedicated wireless access point?
Yes. And it can control the SliMP3 as well.

However, without a dedicated wireless access point the Controller's battery life is about halved (because operating in ad-hoc wifi mode burns far more juice than operating with a proper access point).

usch
2009-11-30, 07:35
By the way, I'm sorry if that last post came across a bit brusque.

No problem, it didn't. Seems like I really only read the thread title, not the posting itself. :o

Yes. And it can control the SliMP3 as well.

I thought the SliMP3 had no wireless circuit?

But that's interesting ... If I had a Controller and my neighbour had a Squeezebox, I wonder if I could control his set through the wall using an ad-hoc connection. :)

andynormancx
2009-11-30, 10:19
I thought the SliMP3 had no wireless circuit?

It doesn't but your question is hard to understand, I thought you were saying that with an all wired network, with the SBC connected to a Receiver via adhoc that the SliMP3 couldn't be controlled, which it can.

usch
2009-11-30, 12:59
Sorry for being unclear. I was explicitly not talking about the Receiver, as that is specifically designed to work with the Controller.

My question was if the Controller can initiate an ad-hoc connection to any Squeezebox in the absence of an access point. For example, if I had a setup consisting of an SB server, a Boom, and an SB2, all wired to the router, would the Controller work with that?

radish
2009-12-01, 13:10
As I understand it the SBC can only connect to an SBR via ad-hoc.

Mnyb
2009-12-03, 11:02
Usch , get this the controller needs only to connect with the server it is the server that is controlling your players, thats the concept.
All commands are routed trough the server (except for initial setup).
The old ip3k based player are really thin(slim) clients they now nothing without the server.
Anyway It could not work in any other way as players connected with Ethernet have their wifi turned off (except when used as bridges). And some older players does not have wifi,even the SB3 was sold in cheaper version without wifi card for a while.

Any player connected to a sqeezeboxserver can be controlled by any controller squeezeplay or Touch connected to the same sqeezeboxserver .
Q: can the radio controll other players to ? I assume that but i've not seen one yet and no one has described this function here yet.

So you can controll squeezeplay or softsqueeze on your pc if you want that.

When you conet the controller in ad-hoc to the reciever it is merely relaying back the comends to the server anyway.