PDA

View Full Version : Nice...but what happened?

egd
2008-08-28, 15:08
Looks like the perfect little bedroom system, but I have to ask - here was a perfect opportunity to incorporate a colour LCD...what happened?

iPhone
2008-08-28, 15:15
Looks like the perfect little bedroom system, but I have to ask - here was a perfect opportunity to incorporate a colour LCD...what happened?

SD has had great results with VFD and their MTBF. Cost might have been another reason. Or maybe it was just wanting to stay with an established look. Sure makes code writting easier and multi-platform useable when using the same general type of displays.

Lastly it could be marketing. You want color, buy a Controller!

Mark Miksis
2008-08-28, 15:19

I have to admit that I've been thinking the same thing ever since we were told that the US list price would be only $299. IMO, there is plenty of room for a Boom2 to coexist at $499 with additional features. There are a lot of ways to spend that extra money, but a full color player UI display capable of displaying album artwork would be at the top of my list.

simbo
2008-08-29, 00:12
You want color, buy a Controller!
This was my take on it, too. Having a colour screen on the Boom could discourage Boom owners from buying a Controller (who might then consider buying the Duet instead, etc, etc).

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Boom+ within a few years, once the R&D costs have been recovered.

It's all good marketing IMHO.

egd
2008-08-29, 00:35
You want color, buy a Controller!I have one...

ThomP
2008-08-29, 00:54
I think it's great they didn't use colour-displays for two reasons:
1) VFD is great (the best?) for long distance readability
2) Colour is expensive

But of course they could make an expensive "fancy" version for those who want colours - and maybe also cheaper mono version for those of us who want it cheap and small:)

Mark Lanctot
2008-08-29, 05:54
A VFD is perfect for Boom's use as an alarm clock - an LCD wouldn't work very well for this application.

Also Boom has better brightness control of the VFD than the SB3. It can get VERY dim, perfect for use in a pitch-black room at night, very close to your face.

FredFredrickson
2008-08-29, 08:38
Seeing as the screen is on all the time (clock and whatnot), I think it's best as an VFD. I would get nervous of premature wearing on a small LCD

egd
2008-08-30, 18:44
A LCD display that could be toggled on/off would have been a nice addition. Regardless, I guess it is what it is, and what it is (assuming its wireless connectivity capability was not modeled on the Duet), is a pretty nifty bedroom/ kitchen/ portable listening device.

pfarrell
2008-08-30, 18:48
egd wrote:
> Regardless, I guess it is what it is, and what it is
> (assuming it's wireless connectivity capability was not modeled on the
> Duet), is a pretty nifty bedroom/ kitchen/ portable listening device.

That's a pretty snotty comment. A "duet" is two things, a Controller and
a Receiver. Which are you whining about?

My Boom has been turn on, tell it to use WiFi, and listen. Plus it has
an Ethernet jack. Then again, my Receiver has worked perfectly from day
one without problems except when my WiFi network was fubar

egd
2008-08-30, 23:54
That's a pretty snotty comment. A "duet" is two things, a Controller anda Receiver. Which are you whining about? Not sure yet, at the moment I have wireless connectivity issues with both. Controller often loses connection to Receiver and/or SB3 and/or Transporter and Receiver often loses connection to SC if not wired. I know for sure it's not my WAP or signal strength issues. My SB3s, PDAs, mobiles, laptops etc. all connect via the same WAP without issue. Wasn't intended to be a snotty comment, was intended to be matter of fact.

funkstar
2008-08-31, 00:45
For a colour display they would need to include everything from the Controller (appart from the battery), adding significantly to the BOM.

It would also take away from the SqueezeBox Photo frame I'm still waiting for :)

Michaelwagner
2008-08-31, 08:28
It would also take away from the SqueezeBox Photo frame I'm still waiting for :)

Wait in line. I want an AutoSqueeze first (or is that SqueezeAuto?).

iPhone
2008-09-01, 07:53
Wait in line. I want an AutoSqueeze first (or is that SqueezeAuto?).

It depends. SqueezeAuto is a Slim NMP built around a car. AutoSqueeze is a Car built around a Slim NMP. Which one are you waiting on?